• Published 24th Apr 2019
  • 976 Views, 17 Comments

A Look At The Various Conflicts Around The World - HeadPaige



A short glimpse into some of the numerous wars, revolts, tragedies and rivalries that plague the world. Based on reports from those of all races and backgrounds to inform the world (or plainly the interested) in what's going on around the glob

  • ...
0
 17
 976

‘The Yak Way Or The Jak Way?’

The continent of Equus is often thought to be a peaceful one and when one were to compare it to the lands of the griffions or of the far east, they might not be entirely wrong. Very few open conflicts have happened in hundreds if not thousands of years, the closest to full escalation being the failed Changelings infiltration of Canterlot. But if one is too look under the surface, one might see the underlying tensions in and between the countries that make up the continent. Be it the political strife in the Changeling lands as they vie for power or the claimant of another on the Olenia throne, it would seem to be a slowly growing powderkeg.

Of all this strife, the least interesting, most secluded and possibly least impactful on the overall geo-political situation would have to be the civil war taking place in the isolated and rocky nation of Yakyakistan between Prince Rutherford and his brother, Prince Bradford over not who is the rightful ruler to the ancient title of ruler of the Yaks, but which is better: Yaks, or Jaks

Now to the outsider, this would appear to be simple Yakish foolishness that could be fixed by some outside remediation but that is not the case as any attempts at talks have failed, the only success being a temporary ceasefire while both sides prepare for ancient customs and growing season. One must look further into this to understand where the issue lies and why they refuse to listen to even their close friends in Equestria.

Prince Rutherford took power after the brothers father died, and being the eldest of the two, this was no problem and Prince Bradford made no objections, giving the transition to power a smooth ride. Problems began however when Prince Rutherford decided to end the country's long record of absolute isolation, allowing ponies and griffions from Equestria and Nova Griffiona respectively to visit and even allowed an Equestrian ambassador to be semi present. Complaints from elders began when Rutherford began industrialization and modernization programs for the nations roads, schools and workshops. They claimed he was trying to ruin the Yak way of life that had been cultivated so thoroughly by their isolation but many elders whispered this is secret as it was long considered unbefitting of an elder to disrespect his rightful ruler.

Prince Bradford however, refused to follow such rules, and openly criticised his brother, claiming that he was no longer fit to truly lead the Yaks to greatness. Others began to join him, specifically, elders from the incredibly traditionalist Jaki-clan who resided in the most easterly end of the kingdom. Prince Rutherford, in a fit of rage caused by receiving a letter from his brother that is essense read “Give up throne or else Prince get SMASHED!”, ordered his brother to be brought before him so he might answer for his threats and criticism. Bradford got wind of this from supportful elders and fled to the Jaki-clans lands. The elders of the area welcomed the prince, of who’s thoughts lined up closely with their own about the king, and were absolutely infuriated to learn what Rutherford had demanded, believing him to have overstepped his power. They not only declared their clan independent from the kingdom but declared Bradford to be rightful king of the Yaks.

The entire nation was thrown into a tizzy, each clan being sent a request to join the Jak cause and see the true Yak placed back upon the throne. In an unprecedented moment of true passion and leadership, Prince Rutherford was able to bring forth every elder from every other clan and convince them, despite what they thought of him or of their incredible differences in the direction that Yakyakistan should head in, to join forces for one goal: Destroy the traitorous Jaks and make the nation whole once more.

“The Jaks might be able to smash one Yak, but they will never smash hoard of Yaks!”-Finishing line of Prince Rutherford's speech, given thunderous stomping and applause

The populous too had to be convinced, but when the difference in their standard of living and those living in the resistant Jak area along with Yak stubbornness to accept anyone who disobeys the king and elders, it was relatively easy. Few joined the Jaks and many called for the homeland to be reunited even if through violence of which neither prince was against using, making war inevitable.

The troops were mustered and war was formally declared by both in the traditional Yak way of war horns being blown before the first charge, with Crystal Empire miners in the Crystal Mountain Range able to hear the distinct call.

“Its something between a war cry and the screams of those sent to Tartarus. I damn near thought Sombra was returning for a moment.”- Imperial mine forepone on the first Yak-Jak war horns

Given the terrain of rocky, hilly frozen wasteland, it's not hard to see why even Yaks, heavily adapted to fighting in this climate, had a hard time attacking each way. However, Prince Rutherfords troops had a major advantage in the fact they used up to date rifles purchased from Nova Griffiona along with heavy guns and support weaponry from Stalliongrad while Bradfords troops used largely traditional weapons or long obsolete muskets. Had the worst winter in the region not come recently, it is likely the Jaks would have been easily overcome through sheer technology advantages. However, the already hard to navigate and fight in terrain became almost impossible to even move in when blizzards and storms began to pound the whole region even earlier than normal in the frozen country. This led to an outright stalemate, during which Equestria sent envoys to both sides in an attempt to end the close to home conflict.

Long time envoy to the Jaks, PInkie Pie, the element of laughter, was sent to Prince Rutherford while one of Equestrias top diplomats to Prince Bradford. Given the stubbornness of Yaks, these ponies had their work cut for them. For months they didn’t get anywhere with either one, not even able to get the two in the same room without them trying to kill each other. That was until they managed to appeal to the only thing able to get past a Yaks stubbornness: tradition

Prince Rutherford was questioned how sad and unhappy all his Yaks might become if they were too busy fighting to do all the reeeeaalllly fun things that Yaks did for tradition while Bradford was shown that if he were to miss traditional feasts, dances and events, it might well led to him being considered illegitimate as well. In the end, the two brothers were able to hash out a hasty and temporary ceasefire that, for now, holds up.

For now this war remains small and overall insignificant, with only Equestria interested in brokering peace and reintegration. Nova Griffiona and Stalliongrad remain neutral though have been accused of selling weapons to Prince Bradford, allowing for his suddenly modernized and well equipped army to rival that of Rutherfords. Both countries have denied any involvement.

“Their must be peace everywhere on Equus if we wish to remain safe.”- Princess Celestia on the Equestrian push for peace in the region

“I know that Yaks smash Rutherford but… can’t they also make up?”- Pinkie Pie, Equestrian envoy to Yakyakistan to Prince Ruthferord regarding peace talks

“Ponies weak because they want peace! Jaks smash Yaks!”- Jak-clan soldier

“Ponies need to stay out of yak business! Yaks smash Jaks!”-Yakyakistan soldier