• Published 20th May 2019
  • 8,973 Views, 336 Comments

The Price of Wanting - Moonriseoversunset



Sunset has had a hard life, but now its about to get a lot harder. Just what did Sunset's transformation between human and demon do to her?

  • ...
10
 336
 8,973

Strengthening the Roots-Luna Interlude

(POV ???)

I was walking down the halls of Canterlot General, my sister-in-law was thought to have been going into labor. It turned out to be a false alarm. My brother is such a worrier sometimes. Honestly, I'm so not ready to be an aunt, and the baby would have been born a month earlier. I decided to take a walk, to calm down, it's not every day your sister-in-law goes into labor, even if, technically, she wasn't.

I was wandering different hospital rooms, around when I watched a nurse leave a room. As I moved out of the way, I caught a glimpse of the patient inside. An amber skinned girl with blazing hair was in a bed sleeping. It wouldn't have caught my attention, but I mesmerized by her. The fire-themed girl had bandages covering her face, and what little I could see underneath her gown, bandages covered her chest as well.

She appeared fragile but underlying that weakness, she had this hardened unbreakable quality. The contrast was interesting, how was it possible, for such conflicting characteristics blend in perfect harmony? They were complete opposites of each other. Why would I be able to sense that anyways? I wasn't exceptional when it came to dealing with people outside of my family.

Someone cleared their throat, caught my attention. I looked to see the nurse from before staring at me. My nerves immediately got to me, I stood straight up, not realizing I was leaning as the door shut to get one last glance inside. The nurse had sea-green hair that was up in a neat bun. Her skin was a cornflower blue, and her eyes were a soft orchid color. Her glare showed her strength and conviction to keep her patient safe. On her shirt, a name-tag read Nurse Tenderheart.

"Can I help you with something, Miss?" her voice was cold with suspicion.

"Sorry, I-I didn't mean to be in your way," I said, trying to think of excuses.

"You're not in the way, though I'm wondering what you find so attractive about my patient?" She said patiently.

"I don't kn-I don't fully understand why myself. Could I ask what's happened to her? If you don't oppose the idea, of course." I knew it was against the rules, but it was worth a try, something was attracting me to this girl.

Tenderheart sighed. "I can't really say, hospital policy. Though, I can say she was in an accident that'll leave her unable to look after herself." Nurse Redheart explained without filling in the blanks.

I put two and two together and came to a conclusion. "Oh, it must be hard to be like that."

"Like what?" The nurse asked, tilting her head.

"Completely paralyzed like that. She strikes me as someone really independent, you know?"

"Who said anything about her being paralyzed? If you must know, she's hurt her back and is paralyzed from mid-thigh to her legs. Though, there might be a chance for recovery if she puts enough effort in."

"I see. Thanks for letting me know."

Her glare turned to a confused look before what she mentioned came to the forefront of her mind. Nurse Tenderheart grew flustered as she realized she gave out information to the young ward in the small hospital room. She stuttered for a moment before declaring that she needed to complete her rounds. and left.

I stood there for a moment before I turned my attention to the door. Sunset Shimmer, room five-hundred sixty-five ICU on the fifth floor down the right hallway. She's piqued my interest. I'll need to ask mom if I can come to find more about her. As I mused about the fragile girl, I turned back towards the stairs to join my family upstairs.


(POV Luna)

I had just finished lunch from a small diner, eager to get to my last stop before heading back to the hospital. I planned to meet up with Cup Cake and Joy at Sugar Cube Corner, then talk with Tia, Chryssi, and Granny Smith when I got back to the hospital. I wanted to get as much support as possible, and some advice. After all, they managed to deal with me when I was in my 'Nightmare Moon' stage.

I needed advice on how to deal with the troubled teen. They had been through it once, and I hoped they would lend a helping hand to me and Sunset, though I didn't have any doubt about Tia giving me some advice. I also wanted to know if I had messed up by telling Sunset of my plans so prematurely as I had. There was also the fact of this unknown Lt. Set that I found mildly concerning. I'd need to ask Velvet for a favor.

I pulled up to the store, which was, thankfully, empty seeing how it was Sunday. I grabbed my purse and switched off my car ignition. I walked in and heard the classic jingle of a bell. Every table was empty except for one that Vinyl Scratch occupied. She sat eating her baked goods with music blaring from her headphones. Cup Cake was at the register standing dutifully for the next customer.

Cup Cake locked eyes with me and walked to the other side of the store, chaser doors led to the back. She poked her head inside, and a moment later, Carrot Cake stepped out and worked the register. She walked up to me and gave me a comforting embrace, which I returned before we moved to a table away from Vinyl.

"How are you, Hun?" Cake asked worriedly.

"I'm not the one in the hospital," I replied in an attempt to deflect the question.

"I know, trust me, I do. Just as I know this isn't easy for either of you. Don't think I don't remember the times you'd come in here and talk for hours about Sunset getting first in a competition, or how all the time she was the top student in her grade. Why I remember the first time, you came singing praises for her."

"She had just won the Equestrianism Essay Contest by a landslide. Oh, how you went on about her writing it all in cursive with a quill. Wrote twice as much as any of the other, and the other contestants all used computers. I don't think I've seen you so happy, even before your years of 'Nightmare Moon'."

Oh, how I remembered that day. I remember getting the plague in a box. I praised her nonstop for a week, it was just before Sunset's first Fall Formal. It was one of the reasons that she won the crown that year. From there, Sunset began to win more awards. Every time she did, I would come and tell Cup all about it. I didn't know what drew me to Sunset, but I never regretted it.

Looking back on it now, I couldn't help but chuckle. I was acting like a mother that praised her child any chance she got. Though unlike those snot-nosed kids, Sunset earned every bit of recognition. I had seen how hard Sunset worked, most of the days I'd have to kick the young girl out of the school, and tell her to head home. She worked constantly burning the midnight oil some would say. She reminded me of myself in all honesty. We had more in common than I'd like to admit, sadly, as we had both seen our fair share of the dark abyss.

I wish I could have saved her from falling so far into that darkness that ruled her younger years. Before I could stop myself, I asked, "Do you think I'll be able to help her?

Cup was silent for a moment, "I don't rightly know, dear. For it to work, both of you will have to be willing to try. I've always seen Sunset as a stubborn, clever, and furiously independent girl. To have that ripped away and be stuck in a wheelchair will bring her great pain. It's really too bad to see such a bright girl will be disabled for the rest of her life."

The door leading outside opened to reveal Joy Redheart. She wore a blush-colored dress with powder blue leggings, an oversized dark blue jacket with white mittens. She had white high top sneakers and wore a red scarf around her neck. Curiously, even though she wasn't at work, she still wore her nurse cap atop her head.

She ran over and embraced me, "How is she?"

"She's awake, been up since early this morning," my voice strained from the conflicting emotions.

"I thought she was in a medically induced coma 'til the wounds on her back healed more, to allow as little pain as possible when she moves." Cake responded with a gasp.

"She was, but it would seem her body has been fighting off the isoflurane. While it's affecting her by making her more sluggish, overall it is ineffective. Chryssi wanted to put her on some numbing medicine to help with the pain, but she refused. She said something along the lines of, 'I've already lost enough feeling. I want to cherish every feeling I have, even if that feeling is pain.'"

Redheart sighed and smiled, "Well, she is quite the stubborn and independent type of girl. Those two never mix well when it comes to being hurt. Though I don't doubt that Moon over here will have much trouble. You are just as, if not more stubborn than that girl," Joy laughed, covering her mouth with one hand.

"Pfft, Joy, you are not funny," I scoffed. "I may be stubborn, but that girl wouldn't move an inch even if a jet pulled her. On a serious note though, I was hoping to get advice from both of you."

They nodded on for me to continue. "Both Tia and I will help as much as we can, but I know everyone helped me put my life back together. I...I won't be able to do it alone, and you all have experience with troubled teens, so I thought you could help. Though, I understand if you can't, you all have your own lives. You have your job and classes," I looked at Joy, "and you have the twins and the shop to look after. I was just wondering if maybe you could help when you have time."

"Luna, you never have to worry about that. We are here for you." Joy said, grabbing my left hand.

"She's right, hun. We're your friends will be there for you whenever you need us," Cup said, grabbing my other hand.

"Th-thanks, I'm such a mess right now." I slumped against the table.

"We understand, Lu, you're stressed out. Who wouldn't be in this situation?" Joy reassured.

"I wish Sunset didn't have to deal with being crippled on top of everything. It's bad enough she may never walk again, but the fact that she'll most likely be bullied on top of that is, concerning. I fear she may be overwhelmed rather quickly. I can already hear it the constant 'she deserved it for what she did to us'. I have a feeling I won't want to come into work for a while."

"You'll do fine, Luna. You're smart and cool-headed, I'm sure you can handle it." Red said, rubbing my shoulder.

"Thanks, Red. Oh, by the way, have any of you heard the name Lt. Set?"

"No, can't say I have."

"Sorry, hun doesn't ring a bell. Why do you ask?" Cup asked.

"Sunset's living with someone named Lt. Set. I just want to make sure nothing will interfere with my plans."

We continued to talk for a few minutes. Catching up on recent events and what not. I was so intertwined in the conversation that I didn't notice the shocked look from a certain DJ a few tables over. Nor did I notice the quick departure, half-eaten baked good forgotten, as she ran out the door. She was completely enraptured by her phone screen, as finger and eyes flew across the keyboard.


At Canterlot General

I walked up the stairs to the fourth floor to talk with Chrysalis and Tia. After my talk with them, I'd go see Sunset. I walked through the door and into Chrysalis' office. I reached her office and knocked twice before entering. Chryssi looked up from her computer, I looked around to see Tia was not in the room. Before I could ask, Chrysalis answered, "Tia went to get both herself and I some food from the local deli."

"I see... look about my earlier actions, I wish to apologize for how I acted. I shouldn't have reacted to the news like that by running out. I... I just hoped the results would be different. I was out of line, sorry Chryssi, can you forgive me?"

"...I guess I could. That is under one condition."

"W-what kind of condition?" I wouldn't admit it, but her conditions, when used, can be scary.

"You have to take me out to dinner for a free meal-"

"That doesn't sound so bad." I sighed in relief.

"While allowing me to use your old nickname both during that date and the rest of today."

Faust damned everything!

"Or you could just kiss me, and I'd only use Moon Stamp on the date," she smirked evilly.

"T-that hasn't b-been used since I was in my Nightmare Moon stage. I don't even know what I was thinking at the time of getting them."

I subconsciously rubbed my hips. I had gotten them once I completed my Nightmare Moon transformation. The inked clouds behind a white waxing crescent moon covered both of my hips and upper thighs. I had openly flaunted them in high school when I attempted to overthrow my bigger sister's reign. They were a constant embarrassment, but I kept them to remind me what I almost lost.

"It doesn't matter, I want to tease you, plus I enjoy people suffering from embarrassment. It tastes delicious, a hint of shame mixed with love and regret is as sweet as honey."

Frustrated, I walk over and straddle her lap, "How about you don't use that nickname and I'll give your date and maybe even a beach day with a new bikini I bought. I'll even give you your kiss."

I smirked as I saw her gulp and give a deep and passionate kiss on the lips. I pulled back slowly, and smirked as she leaned forward following my lips. I get off her lap and swayed my hips seductively as I sat in the chair with a neutral expression.

"You filthy tease."

"Oh, so you decline, such a shame. I'll have to send the bikini back, it was a little small on me in certain areas-"

"NO!!! I-I mean... fine, I'll agree to your terms. But as soon as its a warm day, you're taking me to the beach."

"Looks like I won this battle," I said with a small smile.

"Yea, keep smiling. You may have won the battle, but I'll win the war."

"If that will help you sleep at night. Go ahead and believe it."

"You-"

Knock Knock Knock Knock Knock

Chrysalis settled back into a neutral expression and typed away on her computer. Moments later, Celestia walked through the door, holding two paper bags. She shut the door and walked over to Chrysalis' desk. She placed one of them down in front of Chrysalis' computer screen, and the other on her lap.

"Did I miss anything," Celestia asked, biting into her smashed chickpea and avocado sandwich.

"Nothing special, we were just waiting for you, sis."


(Third person view)

Luna apologized once again for the way she acted and promised to keep them to a minimum. Once she was finished, she proceeded to ask the same favor she asked Cup Cake and Joy. It was meet with affirmation that they'd help as much as they could. Chrysalis already having a therapist by the name of Calming Song ready for her the week after she was released.

Now it was time for her to confess that she let Sunset on the plan, "That was not all I wanted to talk about though, sister. I... well... I-Sunset knows that I wish to adopt her."

"That's good. What did she say?" Celestia asked.

"She didn't... wait, you're not mad or think I told her too soon?" Luna stuttered, confused.

"Not at all, Luna. It was probably for the best that you told her this early. She's very independent, so to let her know that you want her to become your daughter is the best thing you could have done. It shows that you trust her and that you want to have an open mother/daughter relationship with her."

"On top of showing your trust in her, it shows the biggest sign that she'll notice sooner or later. You rushing in like that shows that you want this. You desire this relationship that speaks volumes of your character that I always knew you had."

"Sister, you're passionate, its a trait you share with Sunset. That passion will shine through the dark times ahead of you. While I'll be there to help, but it will have to up to you to help pull her through those times. I have faith in you."

"Tia... I-I don't know what to say. For you to have such faith in me... its overwhelming in an away. I feel as though I might mess up at any moment. It could ruin all that's been built by my passion, it's not the first time my passion hurt me in the end."

"You'll do fine, Lu. If you stumble, I'll be there to catch you and pick you up again. It's my job as an older sister. You're the only family that we have in the state. We have to stay strong for each other. When I'm weak, your the one that pulls through. When you fall, I'm the one that pulls you from the water. We were given this life because we're strong enough to carry it."

"You're right. We're the willow. We will bend from the wind, but we will never break." Luna concluded the encouraging speech with a hug that Celestia returned. Chrysalis made a gagging face and coughed when she saw Luna look over to her.

"That was nauseating." Chrysalis summed up.

Luna stuck her tongue out and sent a look that said, 'You're just jealous you don't get to hug me.'

Chrysalis glared, 'Bring it, Moonbutt!'

"I'm going to check up on Sunset," Luna said as she extracted herself from Tia's embrace.

"I'll meet you at home," Celestia said.

"Maybe, I might stay with Sunset tonight if she needs me," Luna said as she walked out and headed to Sunset's room. She knocked lightly before peeking inside. What she saw broke her heart a little at a time.


(POV Luna)
I felt tears well up as I looked at the trembling figure of the young girl, I saw my daughter. She was hugging herself, silent sobs shuddering across her body. I noticed the blanket had been tossed off of her, and she was faced away from the door. I looked to see her heart monitor beeping at an increased rate than her normal sixty-five beats at a resting. It was actually over twice as much as normal, sitting at around one-hundred-fifty-three. I was half tempted to call a nurse.

Though something stopped me, it was like a hand guiding me to stay. After stopping and listening I realized that Sunset was apologizing repeatedly under her breath. Lost within the thundering beeps. I was broken by the repeated sorry's that escaped from her quiet breaths. It made me doubt if I could support such a brokeness. That was when I felt that same presence from before sweep past me and it seemed to beckon me forward. I wasn't sure what it was but I find get shivers from this feeling. In fact, I felt comfort and safety from this strange feeling that guided me in this short time.

I silently walked over to her bed and gently placed my hand on her shoulder. She flinched away at my touch and looked over her shoulder. Tears flowed like miniature waterfalls. Small scratch marks decorated her skin, the worst places were her face and arms. I allowed a single tear to fall before I smiled softly and asked, "Would you like me to stay with you?"

A long moment had passed before a small nod showed her acceptance and acknowledgment of my question. I sat down in the bedside chair and looked at Sunset's bandaged back. While being told that they'd been changed two hours prior there were splotches of pink in some areas of the bandages. I looked up from her back to the curtained windows. They were closed darkening the room considerably, a pale red shined through with soft bits of gold. The sunset must have looked gorgeous today. It reminded her so much of the girl lying there, the strength she had to continue on, and the beauty her name suggested she had. That sunset showed all the things Sunset could become and more.

I never realized this, but Sunset lived up to her name more than I previously knew. Much like a sunset that was forever changing and lasted but moments, so was the emotions she showed others. Sunsets were moments of passion, of intensity, but most of all they were moments of change, transformation. That is what Sunset was going through right now. The changing of her core beliefs, her desires, and the transformation of not only her body but her mind as well. The very thing she scoffed at proved to be the very thing that defeated. I couldn't even believe what she must be feeling, the fact that all that she believed was true being proven false and a waste of time. It was no wonder she was broken as much as she was. Though, now she had me to help her pick those pieces up and build something new and stronger out of them.

"Would you like me to leave so you can get some sleep?" I asked gently.

Sunset looked over her shoulder revealing a brief look of surprise on her face before she turned away. Her shuddering had subsided for now. She stared ahead and spoke in a quiet whisper, "I don't want to sleep again."

"Is it nightmares?" I asked.

"...Yes."

"I see, well then give me your hand. I know something that will keep them away. I promise I'll stay here all night if I have to, I'll keep them away."

Sunset laid there for a few moments before turning around, but pointedly keeping her head from looking at me, and stuck out her hands. I gently grabbed one of her hands and rubbed circles on the back of it. I began to hum a soft melody that my mother would sing as a lullaby when I was younger. I gently rubbed her hair with my other hand and continued my soft hum.

I smiled when I saw Sunset's body begin to relax and not too long after that she was out. I held on to her hand and continued the rhythmic ques of the song. I was glad I was a night owl as I didn't think I would be getting much sleep. It was peaceful and all, but I wouldn't allow myself to be distracted from my vigil. I promised to stay with her, and that's exactly what I plan to do.

Author's Note:

Hey everyone. Shout out to all those that have favored my story and followed me. It awesome to see such support for my story. Anyways some big news for this story is that updates will be slower. Now, this doesn't mean that they'll stop altogether, school is just about to start for me so, I'll have to do that on top of work so I'll be pretty exhausted. However, I'll try to get one out at least once a month, no promised though. Also to any who can guess the Lt. origins will get mad respects and will be able to, not added, but at least tell me something they'd like to see in the book and I'll see about adding. Though no crossover stuff unless in the form of playing or watching said crossover.
Don't forget to READ and REVIEW, love comments. So help me help you enjoy the story that little bit more. :rainbowkiss::twilightsmile: