• Published 24th Apr 2019
  • 525 Views, 5 Comments

The First Curses - Knight of Crows



Sinners pay the price eventually, but what about the first sinners?

  • ...
3
 5
 525

Wrath

The First Sin

Murder. It's not unheard of, but certainly not common enough for anypony to fear it might happen to them. Do they even know of it's history? Why it exists? It was an inevitability in the forgotten times of war. All if it can be traced back to me. I knew not of history before my time, at that moment I breathed pure malice into the world. I am Ira the First Sinner, and I am the Bearer of the First Curse.

I come from a time when Alicorns were plentiful, the only type of ponies to exist. We lived in any place where food was accessible and hostiles were scarce or dealt with shortly. My family and I lived in one of the caves along the borders of what is now called the Badlands. The only trouble we ever had that was worth mentioning was with each other and other families in or near the cave. Petty squabbles mostly, territory, dominance, nothing ever really escalated beyond a broken bone, nothing we couldn't heal in a day or two. There was one though that always had to make everything worse though. My brother who to this day I still do not regret killing. No, I regret not killing him sooner.

Lazy, selfish, greedy, lying little shit! I can't tell you how often he pushed his duties on to me or blamed me for his actions or unfinished duties. The fact we looked so similar didn't help me. One way or another though he always got what he wanted even when others knew he didn't deserve it, but me instead! One time he was tasked by our father to ensure nothing happened to our food while our parents were at a meeting and I was tasked with patrolling the area around our home. He became distracted by a mare who many have had their sights on including myself and left our food unattended. I was occupied with a manticore, chimera, and a pack of timberwolves and I saw them coming my way, unaware of the danger. I saved their lives and what do I get? I get blamed for a chimera HE brought home while running away. He still got the mare, we all went hungry, and I had to sleep outside! And surprising nopony he left her after just that night.

My life became harder after that for the next several months I lived there, the grief I got from him only got worse, my family no longer trusted me to do anything, and when they did it was a job nopony wanted. Years of this and my tolerance was wearing thin, I had thought I wouldn't have to waist my time and patience with them for much longer, oh how wrong I was to do so. There was another mare who I had my sights on and with how well our relationship was progressing I was ready to move in with her. She was patient, gorgeous, great with foals, a good cook, had a smile that you would've had to have been insane to not want to wake up to. She was everything a stallion could ask for in a mare.

So remember when I said my brother and I looked similar? Close enough we were sometimes mistaken for one another? He learned about us and being the bastard he was impersonated me on what was supposed to be our first night of passion. He met her earlier than our designated meeting time that night and used the low light to his advantage. When I found them he had just finished and she had a look of pure bliss. When they noticed my heartbroken self she had a look of pure dread and shame (though I was too hurt to notice) as that bastard looked at me with a smirk on his face, the kind that says 'I win'.

"Looks like she wanted me more than you Ira, and she was the best one yet!" My brother said while still inside her.

To say I was LIVID was an understatement. Those were the last words he said before I in my enraged state threw my ex-lover hard enough into the wall to knock her out and threw him into the other wall as I started killing him. I broke off his horn, tore off his wings, cauterized the wounds, shattered every bone in his body as I stretched and twisted him in every way I could while strangling him. There is a difference between sibling rivalry and being a complete and total dick every chance you get for no other reason than 'why not'! Because of him my family may as well have disowned me, I was the 'useless son' as far as the others were concerned, I was forced to sleep in the cold, went hungry some nights, and then he takes the only good thing to happen to me in that time.

When I finally became sane was when my ex came to and called me a monster. She ran as fast as she could as I admired my hoofwork. I was branded a murderer and held prisoner as the elders and our families tried to think of a suitable punishment. I wasn't even given a chance to explain, to justify my actions, not that they would care enough to listen, not that they would believe me or her if she even bothered to defend me at all.

It wasn't fair! I'm a murderer? I'm the monster for doing what nopony else can honestly say they wouldn't do in my position? I refused to accept their sick sense of 'justice' and escaped, killing any who tried to stop me. Even in death he was still taking everything from me. Even SHE tried to stop me, begged me to stay, in my still heartbroken and angered state I used magic to pull her close to me.

"You were the greatest thing to happen to me." I said loud enough to be heard by my would be captors before I embraced her, holding her in place as I snapped her neck with my magic, shocking everypony around me.

"And then you became my worst mistake." I said as her body fell to the floor.

Her father became enraged and leaped at me, I caught him with my magic and threw him hard enough into the ground to bury him and continued with my escape as the wails of his wife and remaining daughter echoed through the caves.

That night the Goddess of our world came to me. I learned that my ancestors had unleashed evil in the world and how we, how I inherited their Sin. I had kept it under control until recently which is why she never intervened, but now that I had committed the first murder and unleashed Hatred upon the world she came, and she wasn't pleased at all. I was still too angry, too hurt to care, even in Her eyes what I did was unforgiveable! Even She was choosing his side, mine was the First Curse she gave to a mortal. She doomed me to walk the earth unable to die and forever incapable of Love, incapable of caring for anypony.

I became the First Sinner.

I became the First Murderer.

I became the First Immortal.

I became the Bearer of the First Curse.

Wrath

Author's Note:

VERY loosely based on Cain and Able. Never read Genesis so the only similarity should've been a brother killing the other. Also somewhat inspired by Cain from Lucifer.