• Published 22nd Apr 2019
  • 1,039 Views, 101 Comments

Enchorus - GMBlackjack



Stories set in the Songs of the Spheres multiverse written by a variety of authors.

  • ...
4
 101
 1,039

Data Entry RA-19 (Mal Masque)

ACCESSING PERSONAL ARCHIVES
ENTER PASSCODE: **********
PASSCODE ACCEPTED, WELCOME HEAD OF SCIENCE, DR. KLEIN.
OPEN NEW DATA ENTRY LOG - RA-19-A
ENTRY LOG OPENED

~~~

Today, we have stepped forth where the abstract concept of ‘God’ fears to tread. After failure after failure of tests, along with heaps of dead lobotomites and malfunctioning drones, Project RA-19, codenamed: “The Reality Auger”, has finally yielded a successful test. Through the proper arrangement of particles and bosons and the sufficient energy output provided by the recently acquired remnants of Zeta technology, we have managed a breach in the fabric of the universe and peered beyond the other side. Dr. O and Dr. Boros had their doubts, even suggesting that we may have run the risk of repeating the errors of our predecessors and wipe out the facility along with the 67.412 square mile area surrounding it; but, once again, my ingenuity has proven to be the greatest gift in the fields of scienceology and dimensionology. Yes, there were a few more scorch marks and fried machines than would be satisfying, but you cannot successfully create a nuclear detonation without splitting a few atoms.

Though the connection to the other side of the dimensional veil was blurred and difficult to perceive (Dr. Boros described it as a CTV suffering from a poor connection with static obscuring the view, as though he thought I was not paying attention, the ignorant buffoon), but we were able to perceive something definite. Flora and fauna of both familiar and unfamiliar categories were documented from first observation, but due to a lack of a stable gateway to bridge our two realities, samples cannot be claimed for future study. Further developments may be needed to achieve full dimensional travel via “The Reality Auger” or a subsidiary device that has yet to be developed. Perhaps another recovery effort into the Dome to retrieve the stolen data should be added to our parameters. The mad brain is likely to have something we can use to truly create a stable bridge.

Continuing off the observations from our initial viewing of this secondary reality, my colleagues and I have deduced that it bears a heavy similarity to our own Earth in a more primitive state, as it does not showcase any signs of damage from radioactive fallout or nuclear decay, as is once again proven by the abundance of greenery and nature. Dr. 8 suggested the possibility of some form of civilization further from our views, based on a strange rock formation in the distance. His oculators must be malfunctioning again to think that formations of rock are any grounds for a civilization, primitive as it may allude to be. Unfortunately, due to a power failure brought on by an unforeseen error (likely brought on by Dr. O once again failing to take battery drain into account), visual feed was cut and the “Reality Auger” was forced to self-terminate. Though our peering into another reality was brief, it was merely one step further to achieving a previously unthinkable dream no brain had thought prior. Repairs are currently underway, as is our search for a solution to the battery drainage. Until now, all that can be done is wait until we can truly achieve this impossible goal.

~~~

SAVE ENTRY LOG
LOG SAVED
OPEN NEW DATA ENTRY - RA-19-D
ENTRY LOG OPEN

~~~

After weeks of trial and error (and copious bodies bent spent attempting to breach the Dome to locate one of Dr. Mobius’ stolen projects for a battery life extender*), we have managed to restore the “Reality Auger” to peak capacity, and beyond. Now we are able to not only create a functioning visual into this other reality, but also to receive and transmit sound, in no due small part from the assistance by one of the Sink’s personality programs. The perceived window is unchanged in location from the initial successful test, but the distortion has been sufficiently cleared, and thus we are capable of truly examining the environment. According to observations from all of us on the team, the environment the “Reality Auger” has connected to bears a resemblance to a verdant jungle biome of tremendous scope, not seen since presumably the Cretatious or Triassic Periods (Dr. Boros was certain that the plants were of some prehistoric origin, but without proper sampling, we cannot be certain).

The previously mentioned rock structure that Dr. 8 had taken note of is more definite in appearance, despite the distance, and we can guarantee that the shape was not made by natural formations rather by tools. The possibility of a sentient civilization existing has increased to 84.3%, as I had naturally believed all along. We still have yet to create a stable method of breaching the window and creating a functioning passageway between the two realities, without the increased risk of tearing the fabric of reality itself and unleashing a black hole in the center of Nevada. Fortunately, now that we have auditory transmission, Dr. 8 has been releasing a high frequency encoded message through the “Reality Auger”. If this civilization has some manner of sentience, and are not merely a collection of savages, then perhaps there is hope in establishing multiversal relations.

*ADDENDUM: See information on Project BLE-1304 for further details

~~~

SAVE ENTRY LOG
LOG SAVED
OPEN NEW DATA ENTRY - RA-19-E
ENTRY LOG OPENED

~~~

First contact has been made with intelligent lifeforms. Normally, such a term would simply apply to organics (or synthetics) that have established a means of communication and infrastructure, but in this particular case, I do fully mean intelligent. These organic creatures have not only traced our signal from the point the “Reality Auger” established, but they have decoded the message Dr. 8 had created and sent one of their own in response! First contact with foreign lifeforms not from our own reality! Dr. Mobius was a fool to discard the plans for this miraculous device, now that we have ushered in the first stages of a newer, greater existence!

The message we have received from our recipients has been added to the archive:

INQUEST RESEARCH OUTPOST RATA MODUS RECEIVING, GREETINGS [DATA CORRUPTED]. PROVIDE COORDINATES FOR LOCATION AND ESTABLISH COMMUNICATIONS AND ALLIANCE. WELCOME.

This foreign civilization, designated “Inquest”, will be a most useful case study for our first foray into the multiverse. Dr. 8 is currently amidst creating another coded broadcast to this outpost, so that the Inquest may trace themselves to the “Reality Auger’s” focal point. If I still possessed the useless human appendage known as a foot, I would pronounce this being one small step for science, one giant leap for scientific unity. Until the Inquest receives our secondary broadcast, we can, once again, only wait. Dr. O and Dr. Dala will be preparing a potential speech to greet our newfound associates, though I doubt they have taken account into the probabilities of a spoken language barrier. It pains me to admit this, but mathematics being the universal language shares less prevalence in a reality that is not our own. Only the illusory concept known as time will tell.

~~~

SAVE ENTRY LOG
LOG SAVED
OPEN NEW DATA ENTRY - RA-19-F
ENTRY LOG OPENED

~~~~

The initial encounter with the Inquest was unexpected. While some of my far less imaginative colleagues expected more humanoid entities, similar to the lobotomites that make their messes all over the place, I doubt that they expected them to look as they did. The species were diminutive creatures of grey epidermal layers, with beady black eyes and elongated ears that draped along the sides of their heads. They were fortunately clothed, wearing intricately designed clothes consisting of an unknown black and red material, divided between something either comprised of stone or cloth. Dr. Boros suggested they may have had subterranean heritage due to their structure, while Dr. Dala, as she does with all organics, referred to them as “beady-eyed teddy bears”. While those two bickered over unimportant matters, Dr. O, Dr. 8 and myself conversed with the apparent representative of the Inquest. Fortunately, the similarities between English and their own “Common” language made communication a simple matter. Further studies on the connections of languages across the multiverse shall be made at a later date.

The representative referred to itself as “High Inquisitor Zenk”, a member of a race of self-proclaimed geniuses known as the Asura, describing the Inquest itself as a “school of highly sophisticated and dedicated innovators of science and archeotech, who sought to push the limits of understanding where others fear to tread”. Naturally, I felt a connection with these small, floppy-eared flesh creatures. The “Reality Auger” had tapped into their reality, to which they had dubbed ‘Tyria’, the name for both the planet they resided on, and the largest supercontinent they inhabit, and specifically in a region with a prominently sized jungle that Zenk referred to as “Maguuma”. He had made an aside comment about the region being apt for those looking to keep to themselves and be left alone for research and experimentation, a stance that I and my fellows on the Big MT Science Board share sentiment with.

The remainder of the initial contact had been spent testing each others’ intellect (the little flesh-bag thought that my intellect was inferior simply because my prior body was human, a species which also inhabited his planet, to our surprise) with various logic puzzles and queries about immediate technology. All that has been derived from these conversations (along with a series of personal notes by myself and my fellow scientists) have been included in a separate data entry.* Contact had concluded with Zenk making a promise to establish a laboratory and attempt to duplicate the “Reality Auger”. With our combined intellects and integration of technology, we may finally succeed in creating a stable gateway between our realities.

ADDENDUM: See Data Entry Supplement - RA-19-F.1

~~~

SAVE ENTRY LOG
LOG SAVED
OPEN NEW DATA ENTRY - RA-19-H
ENTRY LOG OPENED

~~~

Technological integration has proven to be absurdly difficult. When we first made contact with the Inquest and they established their field laboratory, they had neglected to inform us of the actual level of their technological development. According to Zenk, while their technology was of an as-of-yet unexplained method known as “Spell Matrices” and “Eternal Alchemic Fomulae”, the remainder of the civilized societies have only recently entered the industrial era. Integrating advanced fusion reactors and fission-powered coolant tanks with a steam-powered engine and shiny rocks is not a viable method for our experimentations. We might as well be trying to recreate the Manhattan Project with cardboard tubes and a spatula.

The only ones who don’t seem discouraged are the Inquest, they simply seem to be treating it as a minor hiccup. Zenk has informed me that two-way transportational gateways are a simplistic science for his species, making all these wild and erratic claims that his kind were responsible for creating a network of Gates across their entire planet for instantaneous transport, using - I cannot believe I’m even considering this as a scientific factor - leylines of natural energy and concentrated magic. It seems that I was far too hasty to refer to the Inquest as intelligent if they believe in such fictitious concepts as magic, furthermore conjoin them with the far more legitimate fields of research of science. I’m not even sure Zenk has a degree, let alone the fifty that I possess in scienceology and ideaology alone. “Geosynthetic Meta-physics” doesn’t even sound like a real field of study, for science’s sake! No matter, Dr. O and Dr. 8 are currently working alongside Zenk’s top researchers (whose names are so ridiculous I believe it irrelevant to add to this document) to integrate our technology utilizing the soundwaves that had established our initial contact. Should this succeed, then I declare this a first step in a new field of study for technological integration: Nucleohexology. I should ask Dr. Dala to check if the printers are fully stocked with paper and ink, then check for a vacant space on my wall of numerous diplomas. In the event this all succeeds, of course.

~~~

SAVE ENTRY LOG
ENTRY LOG SAVED
OPEN NEW DATA ENTRY - RA-19-K
ENTRY LOG OPENED

~~~

In all my years of scientific study, as both a flesh and blood human being (disgusting as it is to reminisce on that) and a brain in a floating mechanical cockpit filled with membrane gel, I never believed I would experience a Resonance Cascade. Not simply observe it, but actually experience being pulled through the very fabric of reality and deposited in an entirely new plane of existence. The sensation was far from pleasant, which surprised me immensely due to the lack of any nerve endings on my being. Yet, even in my immense and scientific vocabulary, I cannot even think of a proper way to describe it.

To properly explain what had happened, I shall explain from the beginning.

After months of attempting to properly integrate our technology, and allowing the Inquest researchers to duplicate our own blueprints for the “Reality Auger”, we had finally managed to achieve successful results. Zenk’s researchers had been able to find a proper frequency of their matrices that was akin to gamma radiation, thus making the process immensely more easy. Would have been simpler if their society was still more developed instead of having only recently moved on from clockwork engineering. Regardless, our penultimate test was about to commence when things went awry on both of our ends. Dr. Mobius had somehow taken notice of our experiments and sent a swarm of his Robo-Scorpions to destroy the “Reality Auger”, and us with it. Meanwhile, the Rata Modus laboratory had been attacked by an external force that Zenk had referred to as “The Pact”, and was slaughtering their scientists and security. My memory banks have reached an error at this point, but Dr. 8 was able to provide his input on what had happened.

One of the Robo-Scorpions had fired a bolt of concentrated electricity directly at the main console linked to the “Reality Auger”, which had resulted in a total system overload, while some similar overload occurred on the other side of the gateway. The surge of power had resulted in a vacuum opening up in the very fabric of reality itself, pulling the “Reality Auger”, the knock-off at Rata Modus, Zenk, and myself along with it. All that remained was a crater, much like the rest of the Big MT Research Facility. I remember nothing else of the experience, aside from the sensation of traversing through reality on a near molecular level.

I do not know how long it took me to reactivate my systems, but I had fortunately sustained no damage. Once my visual receptors had been restored, I had discovered that I had been transported to an entirely new location. Not Big MT, not Rata Modus, not anywhere familiar in the slightest. I had been transported inside of an advanced technological facility, operating on advanced electricity and even small traces of nuclear energy. The devices inside were exceedingly advanced, maybe even meeting the standards of what we created at Big MT, yet I could not determine the power sources of most of them. By the time Zenk had awakened, I had taken notice of two things, one important and the other slightly less so: the “Reality Auger” had been reduced to rubble, and Zenk was missing one of his limbs and producing fluids at an alarming rate. Despite my many doctorates and diplomas, I am no medical expert, so the most that could be done for the flesh creature I could manage was keep pressure on the wound with one of my monitors. Zenk was less than appreciative of this; I decidedly less so when he obscured one of my monitors with his red fluids. Disgusting organics.

Zenk’s screaming about his missing limb had attracted attention, as we encountered a new lifeform. A human, much to my own surprise. A human scientist, judging by the lab coat he was wearing. The human reacted as Zenk had been and was screaming, the combined sensation of these organic noises was making my gel boil. Over the noises, I took notice of other unique things about this human scientist. His skin was an unusually yellow hue, the color akin to either unpolished gold or possibly urine, his head was large and seemed to be unusually flat, and in the center of his forehead was a large and metallic letter ‘N’. The multiverse is a strange place where such things are the norm apparently. After Zenk had temporarily ceased his screamings (I am told by Dr. Dala and Dr. Boros this is a state of organics known as “anemic blood loss”, as though it is actually a thing), I initiated greeting protocols with this human, revealing myself and Zenk as explorers from another universe. I had not expected the response to be “again?”.

The scientist introduced himself as Dr. Neo Cortex, robotologist and biologist supreme, and had confessed to have been familiar with multiversal travel. Apparently the room we had been transported into as a result of the Resonance Cascade was a chamber containing an inactive machine, Dr. Cortex, referred to as the “Psychatron”, a machine that allowed for complete inter-dimensional translation. Dr. Cortex had only used it three times since its creation, due to both the immense energy required to activate it, and an unrelated catastrophe that he refused to comment on, only mentioning something about a “retching band kook”. Dr. Cortex and I spent the next few hours conversing about our areas of research and the happenstances that resulted in our transportation. I believe that Dr. Cortex and Dr. Boros would get along well, as both seem to be particularly well-versed in the fields of animalogy and biochemistry. Dr. Cortex himself showcased his greatest invention, the “Evolvo-Ray”, which he claimed had the potential to evolve any animal species to human levels of intelligence and genetic structure. I initially found this preposterous, but then I saw one of his creations walking around. I never expected to see a koala with that dense of a muscular structure, let alone one so huge.

Several hours into the discussion, an assistant of Dr. Cortex’s, a hideous-looking human with a missile protruding from his skull, that an operation was successful. I had no idea what he was talking about when I saw Zenk emerge behind him with a mechanical prosthetic arm. My understanding of facial expressions has decreased over the decades, but he was either extremely irritated or had an urge to relieve himself. His reaction of throwing a wrench at one of my monitors suggested it was the former. Once we had all properly situated ourselves, Zenk and I conversed with Dr. Cortex about multiversal travel and how to best integrate our technologies in a way that benefits all of our sciences, to which he happily agreed. The next few days had been spent repairing the damaged portions of the “Reality Augers” and integrating them with Dr. Cortex’s own “Psychatron”. Fortunately for us all, Dr. Cortex’s own technology was compatible in every sense, utilizing advanced machinery with the nuclear reactors of my RA-19 parts, and providing functioning power sources in the form of highly energized minerals for Zenk’s Inquest technology. The variables for this to have been an event in our favor were too high to properly calibrate. Soon, all three devices had been integrated together into a single powerful piece of technological artistry: “The Reality Auger 2.0”. Since the plan was my own, I had selected the name without necessary consent.

In yet another rare case of fortune, the first test yielded complete success, with Dr. Cortex’s laboratory translating us from his reality to Big MT, depositing us alongside the Sink and crushing a few errant lobotomites in the process. This occurred exactly twenty-seven minutes prior to cataloging this information, though the passage of time appeared to be exactly seventeen hours after the initial Resonance Cascade. Dr. Dala and Dr. O have been working with Dr. Cortex and Zenk on replicating the “Reality Auger 2.0” for usage amongst ourselves and the Inquest, building further bridges across the universal barriers.

Three universes have been explored now, and connections with prominent scientific minds have already been made. What started as a mere experiment to see what initially could never be seen has created a new hallmark in the field of scientific study everywhere. Big MT is no longer constrained to this dustbowl, now that the entire fabric of the multiverse itself is teetering on the edges of our scalpels. And with the Inquest and Dr. Cortex working alongside us, science can continue to expand further and further. A new mission goal will be created. A new field of science introduced on a weekly basis. We will understand and experiment until our thirst for knowledge can be satisfied in its entirety. This is the beginning of an era for new science, new discovery, new innovation. A new Multiversal Think Tank.

~~~

SAVE ENTRY LOG
ENTRY LOG SAVED
CLOSE DATA FILE - RA-19
FILE CLOSED
SYSTEM SHUTDOWN ENGAGED
THANK YOU, HEAD OF SCIENCE, DR. KLEIN

Author's Note:

Written by Mal Masque.