• Published 14th Apr 2019
  • 1,359 Views, 79 Comments

My Little Bizarre Adventure: The Midnight Riders - Lemon Lime Light



Rainbow Dash aquires a Stand and must use it to defend Ponyville from an organization of evil Stand Users.

  • ...
5
 79
 1,359

Voltaire -The Chapter-

It was finally right in front of them. The Castle of the Two Sisters. After what seemed like one of the most dangerous nights of the group’s lives, they finally stood right in front of their destination.

But having reached their destination did not mean that the journey was over. Nor did it mean they were clear of any dangers. If anything, there would be even more dangers than before now that they were this close to the source. Nopony liked this fact.

“Stay alert, girls,” Twilight ordered. “We don’t know what lies ahead. Judging by what we encountered on our way here, however, I think it's safe to say that it’ll be just as bad, if not worse.”

“I don’t care what I have to go through,” Rainbow Dash furrowed her brow towards the palace. “Fluttershy’s in there. They took her. And we’re going to get her back,”

“I share your intensity for the objective, darling,” Rarity offered to be the voice of reason. “But I think that we need to listen to Twilight’s advice now more than ever. None of us will be saving Fluttershy if we all wind up dead before we even reach her.”

“I know that,” Rainbow growled while she still had a single-minded gaze fixed on the palace. “I’m just saying that whatever gets in my way, I’m going to go through it.”

“Well if find an enemy Stand that’s weakness is stubbornness, I think we’ll beat it no problem,” Pinkie offered a light hearted smile in a small attempt to make humor of this situation. But even she wasn’t feeling it, given the circumstances and stakes they were facing right now.

Wordlessly, the five entered the palace. Rainbow Dash took point silently, her insistence weighing heavily on her friends to do so. Nopony objected, as they knew she did have the best offensive and defensive Stand out of the group. If they faced a surprise attack, she would have the best chance of reacting fast enough to deal with it.

The group passed through the gate and into the foyer. The whole castle was still in ruins, giving off a very frightening atmosphere. The few times they’ve been there were times of restoration and warmth among the ruins. Now, it was as if everything had shifted to make them see the truth behind the facade. The darkness was made even more terrifying by the fact that this time, they knew for a fact that there were things hiding in these shadows.

The foyer stood, regal as it always had. The two thrones, silently standing strong even as the world around them crumbled, shone in the moonlight through the cracked wall behind them. The carpets that Rarity had worked to restore were still immaculate, even laying semi-exposed to the elements as they were. Much of the room remained in a partial state of fix from their previous efforts. In some twisted sense, it was as if they’d given rise to their own place of demise.

Their walk into the castle didn’t last long, however. Mere steps after entering the darkened foyer, it lit up via illumination. Flames danced along the torches on the wall, and light cast from stands where torches used to be. Everypony turned to Twilight only to discover that she was not the source. The only light she cast was a small spell to brighten the area around them. Seeing this, she dropped her spell and her horn lit up defensively instead.

The source of the room’s brightness was a unicorn standing on top of a balcony overlooking the entire foyer. He casually leaned on one of the few instact sections of railing he could. He wore clothes that were colored with no rhyme nor reason, similar to the rest of the cult. But, as chaotic and nauseating to Rarity as the suit he was wearing was, his eyes did not look as the others had. Those in the woods, driven mad or vicious by circumstance, somewhere were not present on him. Behind him was his Stand. It casually leaned up against the wall, mimicking his nonchalant attitude while looking at them. Had he not been so clearly dressed like the others, he could almost pass for… normal.

“Hello, hello, hello Elements,” Every word from his mouth was voiced lowly and singsong as it projected through the ruined room. “You finally made it to our little party. I can see that you had no trouble finding the place.”

“Well, you, we made it, despite your directions,” Pinkie spat at him.

“Or your escorts,” Applejack added.

“Ah yes,” He gave a small sigh with a smile on his lips, “It would seem that there was quite the error in shipping. I ordered five fresh corpses. Yet I received just the opposite it would seem. A less dignified stallion would likely simply send it back. No matter, I will just fix this damage myself.”

“Who are you?” Twilight demanded.

“My name is Voltaire, the user,.” He announced before pointing back to his Stand behind him. “And this is my Stand, Voltaire.”

“You and your Stand are named Volitare?” Applejack raised an eyebrow in confusion.

“It has been so long that this is the only name I can remember.” Voltaire explained. “I know one of us was bestowed that name, but I forget which. So both me and my Stand have adopted it. Please, refer to it as such. I think it is quite the attraction. Though the name of your killer does not matter, so long as you know that they are the one that is killing you.”

Voltaire -the Stand- stood up from against the wall and held out its arms. From slots in its body, what looked almost like cards of smoke slid out and onto the ground. When the smoke card hit the ground, it rose into the air, twisted, and morphed. They took the form humanoids without any sort of features, not even a face. Each were just bright yellow lights in the shape of a pony. They all stood completely still, staring towards the group with their nonexistent eyes.

“These are Voltaire's, the Stand, Tragedies,” Voltaire -the user- explained. “The horrible deaths of creatures that I have personally witnessed and given physical form. When any living creature, such as a pony, touches one, they will relive that same fate. And suffer similar results.”

“Why are you telling us how your Stand works, Voltaire?” Twilight called out to him in confusion, “You’re giving us-”

“Which of us are you talking to?” Voltaire -the user- interrupted her, “It’s rude to talk without identifying your subject, Princess.”

“You, the user!” Twilight huffed, “You’re giving us information that a competent Stand User would never reveal!”

“Because, Princess,” Voltiare spread his arms out. “Knowing the steps to the dance does not detract from one’s enjoyment of it. No, it merely enhances the experience. So I invite you, Elements, to come and partake in my dance. Waltz towards me, for I have the only way forward.”

Looking around the room, the group saw that Voltiare was telling the truth. Before, there were multiple exits to this room. Now, they were all bricked off. In fact, the room itself appeared to be in a far less chaotic state of disarray than before. The foyer looked as though they had rewound time for several hundred years. It was now a beautiful room, one with only one throne that Voltaire stood in front of. All exits were gone, save for the one his Stand was near.

Rainbow Dash didn’t care about any of that. She only cared about Fluttershy. No matter how many of those things there were, she was confident that nothing could outspeed 2 Minutes to Midnight. She instantly mounted her Stand and took off towards the balcony where Voltaire was looming. Almost as instantly, one of Voltaire’s apparitions sped from where it was standing and made for Dash as speed equallying her own. The two crossed paths and Dash’s charge was halted.

At first, she wasn’t sure what happened. Dash felt like she wasn’t moving no matter how hard she tried. All around her, the scenery of the decrypted castle foyer changed into a wide open desert. 2M2M was gone. Below her was a wide open revine with sharp stalagmites jutting up from its bottom. And they were growing closer to her, rapidly.

Rainbow Dash’s first thought was to try and flap her wings and stop her descent. But as soon as she tried to, she was met with a seething pain in her back. Trying to look revealed her left wing was far closer to her than it should have been. Her wing was obviously broken. Instinctually, she attempted to form her Stand underneath her, but for some reason, 2M2M didn’t respond.

Time seemed to slow down as she fell. It was clear those rocks would skewer her body. Her wing was broken, and her Stand was gone. Voltaire -the user- had said that he captured tragedies. This must have been the tragedy that this was a rementant of. It didn’t feel like this wasn’t real either. If Dash wasn’t saved soon, she realized she would meet the same fate.

“RAINBOW DASH!” Applejack shouted as she ran towards the ravine that Dash was falling into. Another apparition mimicked her movements and ran at Applejack at the same speed. While she didn’t notice this, Twilight did.

“Applejack stop! Don’t move!” Twilight shouted.

Applejack’s gut instincts told her to ignore her and keep running to save Rainbow Dash. But the saner part of her brain knew better than than not listen to Twilight at this point. So she begrudgingly paused. When she did, the apparition making its way towards her paused as well. She couldn’t move, lest that apparition come right for her.

But that meant that they couldn’t run to save Rainbow Dash. And the ravine below her wasn’t getting any further away from her. Applejack knew that she couldn’t move, but she just couldn’t stand by and let this happen to her friend. So instead of moving to save Dash, Applejack would help her from right where she was.

Applejack pressed her arms together and turned them into Country Girl’s roots. They intertwined together and extended towards the mouth of the ravine that Dash was falling into. She sprouted and branched them off as mouth as she could until a large portion of the crevice was covered. Instead of falling to her death on sharp rocks, Rainbow instead crashed onto a bed of solid roots. The impact rattled her head and hurt her neck, but she was alive.

“Gwwahhhhhugggg...” Rainbow groaned, relieved that her life was saved. The desert around them started to dissipate as Country Girl wrapped around Rainbow and slowly pulled her back towards the group. When the room was back to normal, however, the closest tragedy to Rainbow started moving closer slightly faster than the speed she was being pulled at. Applejack put her back down as a response.

“Rainbow Dash!” Twilight began to scold as soon as everything was as alright as it was going to get at the moment.

“Yeah, yeah, yeah,” Dash sighed as she tested her previously broken wing. It was completely fine now. “Charging in recklessly, almost got myself killed, bad idea, I get it. Good news is we know how this guy’s Stand works.”

Regardless of running in headfirst, more information was becoming clear to both Dash and the others. The tragedies would only move when somepony else does. Since the one that attacked Dash was able to catch up with her, it was also obvious that they moved around the speed of whom they were moving with. As long as they didn’t move, the tragedies wouldn’t either.

Twilight looked across the room and analyzed. “These, Tragedies, as he calls them, only seem to move when we move. Only one seems to move towards a pony at a time, and it’s the closest one to that moving pony. When they move, they’re slightly faster than however fast you’re moving, so you can’t outrun them.”

“And it appears that once a Tragedy touches you,” Rarity added on. “Another won’t pursue you until you get through living it.”

“They move fast,” Pinkie had an idea. “But I wonder if,” In an instant, Pinkie blinked a quarter of the way across the room. When she appeared, the Tragedy that had started moving towards Applejack appeared a few inches away from Pinkie.“Ok, so they can do that.”

“So what do we do, Twi?” Everypony turned back and looked at Twilight. This was a puzzle. Twilight was the best at solving puzzles, everypony knew this.

“Oh why yes princess,” Volitaire the user mocked, privy to their entire conversation. “What ever shall you do? Once again the world falls on your shoulders. Will you hold up the sky once more? Or will you finally let it all fall on you?”

“That’s not even a legend we have!” Pinkie shouted.

Feeling the responsibility she had to take on now, Twilight began to analyze the room. She counted five Tragedies total. three of which were still where they started, on the other side of the room. Two were at various distances towards her three friends who were also at various points in the room. Of her friends, Rainbow was the furthest in, with a Tragedy five meters away from her. Pinkie Pie had one that was dangerously close to her. If she moved even a few more steps, it would catch her. Top priority needed to be making sure Pinkie was safe.

Night Wish appeared behind Twilight and made an arrow out of ink. With a flick of her wrist, she launched it at the Tragedy. The black arrow flew through the air at high velocity and passed right through its target with no effect. Instead, it simply imbedded itself in the cold stone floor on the other side of it.

Twilight then turned her sights to Voltaire -the user- who had decided to go back to watching with amusement. She made several more arrows and launched them all at Voltaire at once. Voltaire -the Stand- got between its user and the arrows. It caught them with ease and broke them in half to make a point. Twilight immediately moved to attempt to swirl the ink up with her pen to entrap the Stand’s foot, but the snakes that moved up to curl around him were snapped in two just as easily as the arrows.

“Well it was worth a shot, darling,” Rarity tried to offer some consolation to Twilight’s failed attempt at an easy solution.

“I need to get Pinkie away from that Tragedy.” Twilight furrowed her brow. “But I can’t figure out how to. If she moves, it’ll catch her.”

Her mind was working quickly. Either the main Stand was invincible, or attacking it without someone like Dash to deal heavy attacks would be worthless in the end. Given that was the case, she needed to maneuver each of them around the room to attempt to actually make that reality happen. Thus, protecting Dash would be priority one, with the rest of her friends as two. To that end, she also knew that whatever speed they moved would dictate terms. It was like some sort of game, a game where a wrong move led to literal deadly consequences.

“Well, perhaps we should attempt to move them instead?” Rarity offered. To demonstrate her point, she bravely took two steps forward. The Tragedy near Pinkie turned to Rarity and took three steps towards her as it was the one closest to her.

“You’re a genius, Rarity!” Twilight shouted. She understood how she needed to approach this now. This wouldn’t be a battle, it would be a complicated game of chess. Herself and her friends were her pieces. The Tragedies were Voltaire’s. Her opponent moved simple mindedly and predictably. She just needed to work around that.

“Every problem has a solution,” Rarity smirked, “Tis just a matter of seeing it from all angles.”

“Alright, I think I know what we need to do,” Twilight turned to her friends, who each turned to look at her, along with the apparitions, “I’ve learned almost every board game in Canterlot. Coming up with a strategy here to get you all out will require me to tell you where to move. Do you all trust me?”

Everypony nodded to her, sans Dash who had turned back to Voltaire -the user- and just huffed at her, “Good. Do exactly as I say!”

Her mind immediately worked at translating this place into a board. It was easier to think when she gave spaces in her mind where to move. She needed to get Dash or one of the others to Voltaire. Assuming that he didn’t move would be what she needed to do. Why he was sticking around, she didn’t know, but she would have to plan around that. He was at the stairs, and they were on the other side of the room. Just like chess, if she thought about it. For almost a minute, she processed everything she could, forming at least four different strategies to use. With a nod, she opened her eyes and raised her quill in the air to direct them all.

“Ok Rarity, take three more steps forward,” When Rarity obeyed Twilight’s commands, the Tragedy that she had moved previously moved closer to her. Twilight’s calculations were correct and it stopped within a few feet of Rarity.

“Ok, now, Applejack, take five steps towards the other side of the room,” Applejack, knowing Twilight was most likely to know what she was doing, obeyed. The Tragedy that Rarity had lured away from Pinkie Pie turned around and moved closer to her. When Applejack was finished, it was now an even distance away from all of the mares in the room.

“Good, now we have plenty of room to work with here.” Twilight looked at the three apparitions that had not moved yet. They needed to move if they were to get to Voltaire. She needed to start moving some of them.

“Ok, first, Pinkie, start walking back towards me,” Pinkie nodded her head and obeyed Twilight’s commands. As soon as she started and the Tragedy in the center of the room started moving, Twilight gave another command. “Now Applejack, walk towards the left wall.”

The result of Applejack’s movements were another Tragedy that had previously been still starting to walk diagonally towards her. Even though the one following Pinkie Pie was the one that was closer, it already had a target and would not move away from it. When Twilight gave an order to stop, there were now three Tragedies scattered throughout the room with only two by the stairs.

“Rainbow and Rarity, start walking towards each other.” Twilight’s plan was to get Rainbow to lure the one that was closest to her into a spot where she could manipulate it better while also using Rarity to drag a different Tragedy away from her friends. But a wrench was thrown in her plan by a factor to this game that she had largely ignored up until now.

Next to Pinkie Pie a small orb of black energy started to grow. She curiously looked at it until it grew larger and exploded, sending her off the ground and towards the nearest Tragedy to her. Pinkie’s motion was read by the Tragedy, which in turn moved closer to her. Just close enough to make contact with her. Gasping, Twilight looked up and saw the glowing horn of Voltaire -the user- as the culprit of the magical assault.

“Oh do forgive me,” Volitaire gave a small bow of apology,. “But this is a game that requires two sides, does it not? I felt terribly ignored here!”

Now, the castle vanished and was replaced with a new background. This time they are in a wide open plane with untamed grasses growing up high. The only thing off note were the train tracks stretching on for miles. Train tracks in which Pinkie was tied to. And the thundering sound of an engine in the distance made it clear these tracks were serving their purpose.

“Warp away!” Rarity shouted to Pinkie Pie. “Use your Stand!”

“I can’t!” Pinkie shouted as she struggled against her bindings feebling. “I can’t make Ta-Dah appear at all!” Her struggling grew faster when she could see the train in the distance rapidly approaching.

“Use yours then!” Twilight desperately called to Rarity. “The Tragedies should only follow ponies!”

All four Diamond Dogs were already scurrying across the floor towards Pinkie with their rippers ready to tear Pinkie from the ropes. But with the speed they ran at, how long it would take them to make a full circle around Pinkie, and Pinkie still having to get up and move out of the way, nopony was sure that they would make it in time.

So instead, Rainbow decided to be the one that would. Always being the first one to throw caution and self-preservation out the window, she stopped holding still and sped over on 2 Minutes to Midnight to where Pinkie was. The Tragedy that was following her went faster and made contact with her. But nothing happened when it disappeared.

As soon as Rainbow Dash landed she acted to save Pinkie from the train. She had 2M2M cross its arms and form a vacuum around her and the tied up Pinkie Pie. She made the parameters simple and clear. When the train hit the edge of the vacuum, Pinkie squinted her eyes in fear. But Rainbow narrowed hers in determination.

What came next was the deafening sound of metal crashing against itself. The steel train felt the full feedback of colliding with Rainbow Dash’s vacuum. The shockwave went back through each car, completely destroying the first few and causing the rest to grind to a halt.

“I reject all force,” Rainbow Dash snarled. “Nothing will get close to my friend.”

“You... became an immovable object!” Twilight shouted in amazement, “But, that would require?”

With the fate avoided, the scene of the train tracks in the grassy field faded. But instead of turning back into the castle foyer like last time, it changed into another scene. Rainbow Dash realized that this must the Tragedy she triggered flying over to save Pinkie Pie. At least they knew only one Tragedy would go off at once.

Now the foyer took the appearance of a burning building. It appeared to be nighttime, and the building itself was in large state of destruction. The fires raged hard, suffocating the room with smoke. The only visible exit to the room was trapped behind burning rubble.

Rainbow’s first instinct was to try and find a way out of the room. But as soon as she saw that the exit was blocked, she felt a feeling of hopelessness wash over her. Something that wasn’t natural for her. She fell to the ground and let the dread overcome her.

“I… I can’t run…” Dash gripped the floor, digging her nails into it, “It’s… I can’t…!”

“If we don’t stop this scene from playing out,” Rarity put her elbow over her mouth to keep from inhaling more smoke. “I fear that Rainbow won’t be the only one who’ll die from this.”

“But how do we do that?” Applejack asked, feeling like a tree in a burning orchard fire.

“The other two stopped when we saved the victim from their fate,” Twilight was taking in more information. “Stopping Dash from getting impaled on the spikes, and stopping the train from running over Pinkie Pie. Dash’s fate is to die in this burning room, so-”

“So we need to get her out of this room!” Pinkie called out before bursting into a coughing fit.

“That’s all well and good,” Rarity fell to her knees to get low of the smoke that was rapidly filling the room. “But we don’t exactly have a lot of options for achieving that. We can’t move without risking getting caught up in another Tragedy ourselves. And I do not think we can take a third one in a row at the moment.”

“We can’t move,” Applejack’s arms were turning into roots as she spoke. “But Rainbow can!” She made her right arm into the largest root-fist she could and smashed the ground beneath her. A hole formed in the ground, showing the level below the building they were in. “Remember when she was falling the first time? None of the of the other ghosts went after her.”

Applejack looked to Dash, who was curled up in a fetal position with the fear the actual victim of this Tragedy faced. If the situation weren’t so dire and life threatening, she would of teased the Pegasus about it. But now there wasn’t much time for anything besides doing.

Country Girl shot out from Applejack’s left arm and wrapped around Dash as fast as it could. Applejack then had it retract and reel Dash in. The second that she was above the hole in the ground, Applejack chucked Dash into it.

When Rainbow was out of the room, the room ceased to be a burning building. It turned back into the castle foyer once more. Rainbow lay on the ground in front of Applejack where the hole she was thrown into previously was. Everypony else in the room took deep breaths and got over the last of their coughing fits.

“I really must applaud all of your clever solutions to your fates,” Voltaire -the user- smugly said from his perch atop the balcony. “I wonder how long you two can keep me entertained. Don’t worry, though. As soon as you get done with the toys I’ve given you, I’ll just make six more for you.”

“I don’t think I can keep this up for much longer,” Pinkie Pie groaned. “Almost getting hit by a train, it’s not super fun at all.”

Twilight realized that Voltaire -the user- was right. They all had gotten lucky up until this point. If things had turned out even slightly differently, any one of those Tragedies could have ended in death. Twilight didn’t doubt him when he boasted that he had an endless supply of them either. They were all dangerously close to an untimely end.

What was worse was that Voltaire -the user- proved to Twilight that she couldn’t take her time to strategize in this situation. If she tried to take her time here, he would meddle once again and make things much harder for them. If Twilight wanted to succeed in this struggle, she would need to do something brash and drastic to win and one fell swoop. Playing this like a game would just result in her running out of time, like an opponent deciding it was time to stop going ‘easy’ on her.

Plan, plan, she needed a new plan. Nothing complicated. No more thinking about the grid. No more thinking about how to make this play out in an advantageous way. She had to make this happen, had to just get it done. Think! Spike could come up with silly plans at the drop of a hat, she had to be able to too! Something had to be up with this, something hse hadn’t thought of!

Then Twilight thought of the stupidest, most irresponsible plan she could think of. It was downright suicidal when she thought about it. And that’s why it was going to work.

“Dash, Pinkie,” Twilight furrowed her brow towards Voltaire. “In buckball, what did you say you call a play that’s your last desperate attempt to win the game?”

“You mean a hail mary?” Dash asked.

“Yes. I have a plan.” Twilight clenched her fists and took in a deep breath. “Consider this my hail mary.” Without letting a single additional second go by, Twilight darted forward. She ran directly into a Tragedy.

Everyone in the room cried out, but Dash soon understood. While the room was still changing to reflect the tragedy that Twilight had triggered, Dash made 2M2M take off in Voltaire -the user-’s direction. A tragedy rushed at her and made contact, but it didn’t matter. It wouldn’t matter. 2M2M grabbed Volitaire -the user- by the throat and threw him to the ground.

Knowing she probably had less than seconds, Dash revved up her Stand’s engines and unleashed its fist right in Voltaire -the user-’s face. The rest of the group understood and used their own Stands to follow suit. Voltaire -the Stand- attempted to create Tragedies to defend Voltaire -the user-. But it did not matter. Every Tragedy that hit sompony just uselessly disappeared, not being able to come to fruition until the one that Twilight was affected by ended.

But it wouldn’t end until the effects of the Stand ended. Within a few seconds, Voltaire -the user- was knocked unconscious with an extremely bruised face. Voltaire -the Stand- disappeared, along with its effects. The entire room turned back to normal.

Everypony turned around while they breathed heavily from their assault. To their relief, they saw Twilight still alive. She was laying on the ground. She looked terrified, but otherwise ok. A fact that Dash looked like she was about to change.

“What the heck were you thinking, egghead?!” Dash shouted angrily in Twilight’s face.

“Yes darling,” Rarity concurred. “Surely there was a better way to resolve this. You were nearly killed!”

“One Tragedy doesn’t start until another has finished,” Twilight panted, still catching her breath from her rapidly beating heart, “And I’m guessing one of his limitations was he couldn’t move from where he activated his Stand. We just so happened to be in the best positions for that, but if he did anything else to mess with us, it’d be over. So I went for it.”

“That ain’t like you, Twi!” Applejack narrowed her gaze, “We would have won eventually. Sure, it worked out this time, but we can’t go losing friends! Especially you!”

“That doesn’t matter now,” Twilight shook off her friends, as well as the shocked look on her face. “It worked, and that’s what’s important. We can move on now. Saving Fluttershy is our number one priority.”

Twilight walked up the stairs and through the only open hallway without letting her friends say another word to her. With her leading the pack, Twilight could let her real emotions show on her face. Her eyes became hollow as the images flashed in front of her face.

Just moments before, Twilight found herself standing in the middle of the pouring rain. There was no light for miles, and the clouds were so thick it was difficult to see in front of herself. She felt like there were others around her, others that she knew and were willing to die for. Lightning flashed, striking and making rocks burst apart. She couldn’t move from that spot. Her willpower wasn’t letting her even think of running away.

She was staring down the angry faces of both Princess Celestia and Princess Luna. Their eyes had the clear intent to kill on them. Then, in front of the monarchs, their Stands appeared. The fiery avian form of Vanilla Twilight, and the crystalline canine form of Dark Side of the Moon. It was only just before Vanilla Twilight’s flames threatened to burn Twilight’s body to ashes and remake it anew did the Tragedy end.

The looming question in Twilight’s mind would not leave. Where did Voltaire get that Tragedy?

Author's Note:

Stand Name: 「Voltaire」
User: Voltaire
Namesake: Aurelio Voltaire (American Musician)

Parameters:
Power: C
Range: B
Speed: B
Precision: D
Durability: A
Potential: D

Abilities:
「Voltaire」 captures the movements leading up to a death its user personally witnesses and saves them in the form of apparitions it can conjure, called Tragedies. 「Voltaire」 can store as many Tragedies as its user desires, but can only release six of them at a time. A Tragedy will only move when another creature does. It will move at a slightly faster pace that the creature it follows. If multiple Tragedies are manifested, only the closest one to the moving creature will follow it. Its user cannot move very far away from its activation point once activated.

When a Tragedy makes contact with a living creature, they will be forced to relieve the death that has been captured in that Tragedy. The victim will lose control of their own Stand if they possess on. They will feel all emotions felt by the victim of the captured death. The only way to cease a Tragedy is to stop the victim from dying the death they were intended to.


And I have NOT finished the story yet, despite me saying I would wait until it was to post. I just, type really, really slowly. I was sick of making you wait, so I'm gonna release what I have for now every so often, kinda inconsistently.

This Stand, OH BOY THIS STAND. This was one of my biggest road blocks in terms of stubbornness and me insisting I have it in the story. My original intent for Voltaire was to have the entire fight be its own arch, taking place entirely in the castle in the form of a game Twilight played, using her friends at the pieces. Ideas shot around from an elaborate form of chess, to some sort of DnD thing, to even having the whole Stand just be that one word game from No Game No Life.

I am not too happy with what I got instead. But I didn't like anything else either. This is the best I could get out for this fight. I hope it doesn't seem like as much of a mess as I think it to be in my head.