• Published 5th Jun 2019
  • 888 Views, 19 Comments

All The World's A Stage - thunderhawk7865



//2nd person fic starring you and our favorite Kirin, Autumn Blaze//

  • ...
1
 19
 888

Ch. 2: Arrival

"So where are you from?" Your new friend, Autumn Blaze, asks you as you exit the cave on the other side. Surprisingly, the cave wasn't that long or dark. It was just a simple tunnel through the peak separating you from the village.

You look around the the canopy of trees as you step out of the cave behind her. "A big city called Manehattan...you've probably never heard of it."

She turns to look at you, cocking her head to the side. "How big are we talking? Like, what, a hundred?"

You can't help but give one short, loud laugh at that one.

"Hah!" You giggle. "Not even close."

Her eyes widen. "Two hundred?"

"Try more like eight million." You smile and wink.

Her jaw drops. "M-m-million? Eight? Eight million?"

"Yep!"

"How is it even possible to have so many creatures in one place?" She paws the ground.

"Years of development, I guess..." You shrug. Guess all she's known is her village in her life, and there probably aren't very many Kirin who live there.

She breathes in and out slowly for a moment (you faintly smell smoke, but it's probably just your imagination), sighing heavily after a while. "So...what do you do there?" She turns and again gestures with her head for you to follow her.

You nod and follow her, smiling. "I'm an actor, actually."

Suddenly, the wind gets knocked out of you and you find yourself on your back, staring into the golden orbs of Autumn Blaze's eyes yet again. You get hit with the scent of freshly fallen leaves as her mane dangles just below your muzzle.

...that smells nice...

You blush, drop-kicking that thought out of your head.

"You're...an actor!?" She gets the biggest smile you've seen her give before you can say anything. "Like...theatre? Musical theatre?"

"U-Uhm..." You gulp. "Yeah, actually."

"That is so cool!" She leaps off of you (much to your relief) and claps her forehooves. "I love musical theatre!"

You quickly flap your wings, getting back onto your hooves and brushing yourself off. "You...do?"

She nods excitedly. "Pfff, uh yeah! I mean, who doesn't, am I right?" She leaps forward and you wince, thinking she's going to tackle you again. You brace for impact, but instead find her skipping merrily around you. "Oh, this is so exciting! An honest-to-goodness thespian like moi!" She gestures dramatically to herself.

"Forgive me, I-" You pause. "I...didn't think there would be something like live theatre out here."

She laughs quite loudly. "We aren't lawless brutes, you know..." She cocks her head at you. "But wait...what's an actor like you doing all the way out here?"

"Funny you should ask..." You nod as the pair of you continue walking. "My friend, Follow Spot, sent me here. He's a famous director back in Manehattan. He wrote a new musical he wants to stage. The main character is a Kirin."

"No way!" Autumn Blaze leaps for joy as you walk. "So does that mean-"

You nod, giving Autumn Blaze a smile. "I'm here to cast a Kirin for the show."

This time she leaps, but does a little front-flip as she does so. Goddesses, this Kirin was a ball of energy! When she lands, she jumps back and forth on her hooves excitedly. "I am so there! This is amazing!"

You stop and laugh audibly. "I'd be insulted if you didn't come. You, my new friend, are bustling with energy! Perfect for the stage!" You pose dramatically, lifting a forehoof into the air for effect.

"You really think so!?" You gasp in surprise as Autumn Blaze once again violates your personal space, her golden orbs encompassing your entire field of vision.

You find yourself blushing awkwardly yet again, and back up, swallowing and chuckling nervously. "U-Uh, yeah! I do!"

You find yourself transfixed by her eyes again, swallowing nervously yet again, as she smiles and cocks her head in response to your compliment. "Well, aren't you sweet." She says.

She really was quite exquisite. You again find your mind wandering along her flowing orange mane and red horn. Your eyes wander to her toned body. Despite the scales and longer, thinner tail, her body wasn't that different from a mare at all.

Suddenly, a heavenly voice calls you by name and draws you out of your trance. "You...okay there, buddy?" She purses her lips and straightens her head up in curiosity.

"Oh...oh!" You step back and shake your head, rubbing the back of your neck. "Y-yeah! Just thinking about the...auditions!"

"Oh! Right! Hah, doi!" Autumn Blaze laughed and crossed her eyes, sticking out her tongue. "You must be soooo stressed about that!"

You sigh and nod as the pair of you continue to walk. "Stressed isn't the word...more like..." You huff, pursing your lips. "So stressed I couldn't sleep on the train."

"Do you have a place to stay while you're visiting?" Autumn Blaze asked, raising an eyebrow.

You stop suddenly and gasp, your eyes wide in horror. "Aw, buck..." You bring a forehoof up to your forehead and sigh.

Autumn Blaze stops trotting and gazes at you curiously. "Buuuuck...hm. Haven't heard that one before..." She moves her lower jaw around, mulling the colorful word over in her mind.

"Don't go quoting me on that word if you ever end up in Equestria..." You groan, slowly dragging the forehoof off of your face. "But, to answer your question, no. No, I do not. Damn, should've thought of that before I left..."

It was true. In the hustle and bustle of carrying out Follow Spot's request, you had forgotten to see what kind of lodging the Kirin Village provided...

...though you suspected off-hoofedly that there probably wasn't an inn to be found in that village. Like, really? Who'd want to vacation at a place called The Peaks of Peril?

You. The answer to that question was your dumb ass.

"That's okay though!" Autumn Blaze hummed happily. "You can crash with me!"

Your jaw drops.

"S-say what?" You stammer. Damn, this Kirin was forward.

"It's not big deal! Got plenty of room in the ol' tree house!" She turns and skips merrily along, leaving you to use a forehoof to push your slack jaw back into position and follow her. "You'll be here for, what, two more days? No biggie."

"You're sure I wouldn't be imposing?" You say, trotting to catch up to her.

"Psh..." Autumn smiles and cocks her head at you. "The only other creature living with me is Silhouette."

You shake your head in confusion. "What? Silhouette?"

"My shadow! Remember?"

Another smack as your forehoof connects with your face.

She giggles as you both trot along through the canopy of trees. "You're funny! I like ya'! I get the feeling we'll be good friends while you're here."

You nod, a faux smile on your muzzle. "Well, I'm sure that...Silhouette and I will get along just fine. Don't you worry."

"You'd better! Or it's out on your flank!"


The remaining journey to the Kirin village wasn't that far or very eventful. Autumn Blaze led the way chattering about this thing or that tree or flower. She did mention to you that that blue flower you found by the stream at the base of the Peaks was called Foal's Breath, and it was that very flower that cured the Vow of Silence that afflicted her people not too long ago. You learned that if it weren't for Fluttershy talking to the squirrels that live down there, they would never have found it.

...what a way to save the day...

When you finally arrived at the village, you are greeted warmly by all the other Kirin. They were absolutely ecstatic to meet yet another pony in such a short amount of time, considering it had been two ponies that had saved their village from eternal silence. As Autumn Blaze led the way through the center of the village, you find your eyes wandering.

"You like it?" Autumn asks, looking at you over your shoulder.

"It's...outstanding!" You gape at the luscious trees that made up the canopy as well as housing for the Kirin. The various streams and pools that wove through the village, all connecting to a large, beautiful fountain towards the center, made the peaceful gurgling noise that reminded you of your cabin on the mountainside near Canterlot. It was beyond peaceful here, and you loved the pure artistry of whatever Deity formed this wondrous place. You had better be sure to take notes for Follow Spot. You knew at least one or two scenes in My Fair Kirin took place here in the village.

Peaks of Peril? More like the Peaks of Why-Hasn't-Anypony-Told-You-About-This-Place-Before?

Another thing that struck you as you trotted through the village were the other Kirin. Like ponies, they came in all colors, but for the most part, they all looked the same. In fact, upon further observation, it was extremely difficult to tell the mares from the stallions, if they even used those terms. The only difference between genders you could see were if they had long eyelashes or not...and even then you still weren't sure.

"Why Autumn Blaze...how good it is to see you today."

A soothing female voice demands the attention of your companion. You turn, and your jaw drops for what seems to you like the millionth time today. Before is a female Kirin taller than any of the others. Built like Celestia, this Kirin was clearly the village elder you had heard about named Rain Shine. She had a brilliant forest-green mane and tail (which was even more lengthy than any of the others) and eyes that were as red as the horns all the Kirin had. A crown of sorts adorned her head and sat in front of her horn.

Yep. She'd definitely lose a game of "Who's In Charge Here?" in a heartbeat.

"Rain Shine!" Autumn Blaze trots forward towards this godly Kirin, a happy-go-lucky grin on her face. "You're timing is impeccable. I want you to meet my new friend here..."

Rain Shine's eyes fall on you. "A pony? How wonderful." She smiles. "It gives me joy to know more of Applejack and Fluttershy's people have come to visit us. We welcome you to our village." She nods and smiles. "I am Rain Shine, the village elder. And you are?"

You give your name and bow your head by instinct. "It's truly a pleasure."

Rain Shine giggles and raises a hoof. "Please, don't be so formal. I am not a Princess, as your leaders are." She cocks her head to the side and winks. "I'm just old! So they put me in charge!"

Your eye twitches. You wanted to ask exactly how old Rain Shine was, but you were doing good so far, and wanted to keep it that way. If it's one thing you learned back home, it's that asking mares how old they are never went over well. Your actor status did nothing to protect you from that.

You laugh. "That's very interesting!" You blurt out.

"So..." Rain Shine smiles once more. "What brings you to our little village?"

Before you can answer, your fiery little companion hops in, bouncing excitedly yet again. "He's an actor, Rain Shine! From a big pony city called Manhattan-"

"Manehattan, Autumn..." You correct her. Jeez, what a silly way to say that name! Manhattan...what was she thinking?

"Right." Autumn waved a hoof. "Anyway, his friend is writing a musical that stars..." She stops. "Pause for dramatic effect..." She strikes a pose, one forehoof raised over her head. "A Kirin!" She twirls the hoof and smiles excitedly at Rain Shine. You stifle a chuckle; this Kirin was really growing on you.

"Really?" Rain Shine turns from Autumn to you. "A pony theatrical production starring one of our kind would greatly benefit both our peoples, I think."

Wow...that was easy. Village leader approval acquired!

You blink in surprise. "Y-yeah! My thoughts exactly!" You swallow, but then puff out your chest with confidence as you present your plan to the Kirin leader. "I'm here to hold auditions...with your permission, of course...to cast a female Kirin for the show. Is there a theatre or stage around here where we could potentially hold them?"

Autumn Blaze sidles up to you, a sly grin on her face. "Is there a theatre...you hear this guy?" She looks to Rain Shine, but drapes a forehoof around you. "Of course there's a theatre." She snorts. "Heck, I practically live there..."


"You weren't kidding..."

"Told ya!"

A couple minutes after your initial meeting with Rain Shine, you found yourself standing with her and Autumn Blaze in front of the Kirin theatre. It was a sight to behold; it was a huge, hollowed out tree. Big enough for a full-length proscenium stage. The theatre was complete with 5 rows of seats. It was one of the most breathtaking outdoor stages you'd ever seen.

And right next door...

"My house." Autumn Blaze nudges you and points a hoof at the smaller tree house. Another hollowed out tree, but with what appeared to be a front door and windows.

You sit on your flank and stare around at everything, trying to take everything in. So this was what culture shock feels like...

"This...this..." You struggle to speak.

"Use your wooooords~!" Autumn Blaze leans in close, a big smile on her face.

"Is magnificent!" You finish, clapping your forehooves together. "It's absolutely criminal that nopony has ever heard about this place before! It's..." You sigh, finally deciding to stand up. "Stunning." You turn to face Autumn Blaze and Rain Shine. "Are you sure this is no trouble?"

"Not at all." Rain Shine waves a hoof. "Feel free to hold your auditions here tomorrow."

"I'll let everykirin know!" Autumn Blaze jumped up and down. "Well, everykirin who's a girl anyway. Ha! Too bad, boys!" She gives a snarky grin to...

...well, whoever or whatever she was talking to...

...and turns to you, once again invading your personal space.

"This is so exciting!" She smiles warmly at you. "Thank you so much for bringing this opportunity to our village!"

You, still on your actor's high from seeing such a beautiful space to use, smile right back at her, not paying attention to how close you were getting to one another. "Of course, Autumn! Thank you for spreading the word."

You blink in shock as you are suddenly wrapped up in a hug. Autumn Blaze's forehooves are wrapped around your neck, her head to the right of yours, her mane draping over her shoulders...

...aaaaand there's that glorious fallen leaves smell again...

Pile-driving that thought into oblivion, you release yourself from the hug and nod graciously, doing your best to hide your embarrassment...and pink cheeks. "So, um...care to show me where I'll be staying? It's...getting kind of late."

"Is it?" Autumn looks up squinting up through the canopy. "Oh! So it is!" She turns back to you. "Let's go get you settled!"

As Autumn begins to lead you toward her house, you chance a look back at Rain Shine. She smiles and winks at you before turning around and starting back towards the village proper. You purse your lips and turn back around, following Autumn to her front door.

What was that all about?


"Tada~!" Autumn Blaze sings as the front doors opens. "My digs!" She pauses and sidles up to you again. "You dig?"

You trot inside and look around the front room of Autumn's "digs." Overall, it looked just like a front room you'd see in a standard pony house or cottage. There was what looked like a kitchen towards the back of the tree, and stairs that went upward to where you assumed Autumn's bedroom was.

"I dig." You state simply, still looking around.

"You can take the couch!" She closes the door and leaps past you, jumping on the red piece of furniture. "When I was exiled from the village, I couldn't take this bad boy with me! I couldn't get it out the dang door, even with magic!" She giggled and hopped off, landing in front of you. "Sound good?"

"Sounds just fine to me." You nod. "Thank you, Autumn."

"Pfft. No worries." She waves a hoof as you walk by to the couch, depositing your saddlebags there and taking a seat.

You sigh. It was always nice to relax after a long day of traveling.

"While I've got some daylight left, I'm gonna head out and tell as many Kirin as I can about the auditions tomorrow!" She trotted to the door. "You make yourself at home, ok?"

"Again..." You sit up, eyes narrowed. "You sure this isn't any trouble?"

"Um, yeah?" She nods. "I wouldn't have invited you into my house otherwise." She grins. "I'll see you soon!"

Before you can say anything else to her, you fiery Kirin companion is out the door, the said door slamming shut behind her.

You sigh again, leaning back against the couch's fluffy cushions. It was good to be alone after all that attention from the various Kirin...especially Autumn. You chuckle as you think of your new friend. You really hoped she came through with her word and auditioned tomorrow. There was something about her that caused a spark within you; like you somehow already knew she was perfect for the role.

You reach your head into your saddlebag and pull out your journal you had brought for notes. You were planning on using this journal for notes during the auditions, but you decided to use a few pages to start detailing the village for Follow Spot...

...and also to contemplate the fiery Kirin who had befriended you so quickly.

You use your muzzle and a pencil to write the desired notes and ponderings down, but it isn't long until finally the fatigue of the train ride catches up to you and you fall into a blissful sleep.

Author's Note:

Chapter 2, guys! I know it's still kind of a new thing for me to write, but please tell me what you guys think!

Chapter 3 coming soon if the positive reviews keep coming in!