• Published 21st Apr 2019
  • 1,608 Views, 3 Comments

Welcome Home Father - Applefai

  • ...
2
 3
 1,608

The kind stranger

For all my life I had no idea, I just thought that I was abandoned, I never knew the truth and I'm glad that I do. I finally know where i came from, but I wasn't prepared to find out the things I did.

It all started a year ago today, when I was exploring the dragon lands with my friends Ember and Smolder. While exploring we found a cave hidden away so well that you'd miss it if you weren't looking, which it was just dumb luck we found it. Expecting to find a few gems we ventured into the cave only to not only find gems, but another dragon.

The dragon standing before us was purple in color with a long mouth and had eyes that spoke of despair and loss, as if he had witnessed a thousand wars and seen everyone of his friends perish. when he walked, he kinda dragged his feet on the floor as well as his tail, and when he spoke he talked in self loathing and as if he had lost everything. He sat upon his hoard of gems eyeing each one deep in thought before slowing eating it.

When he noticed us his voice was soft and welcoming as if he did't care we were trespassing. "Ah, I wasn't expecting visitors, I'm sorry for the state of my home, but I just don't see the point in cleaning." he said while offering us a handful of gems from his hoard. "Please, help yourselves, this place doesn't get much company, actually hardly ever so I'm just pleased to finally have some." He said in a longing voice.

"Uh, thank you Mr. Dragon, but if you don't mind me asking. Who are you" Smolder asked the dragon standing before us with as much politeness that she could muster.

The dragon just looked down somewhat smiling and giving a slight chuckle, he then raises his hand in the stop motion, "Please, no formalities. You may call me Gaius." He said in a gingerly tone.

Smolder's eyes widened at hearing the name the dragon wished to be addressed as, as if she recognized the name, "Wait, are you the Gaius? The dragon lord who's throne got usurped by Scales in the story "A dream come true?" Smolder asked with the most politeness she could muster, but her curiosity outweighing in some ways.

Gaius looked down in sadness, but not contempt and said, "yes, 'tis I, Gaius the great, I was one of the most beloved dragon lords, I helped out dragons in need, gave them food and a place to stay, I even gave them a place in my kingdom even if they were from a rival clan. Dragons lived happily until the day i took Scales in, but even though she usurped my throne, I hold no contempt for her and I pray she'll see the light and embrace it."

"But isn't she gone now? Why do you still live here, don't you want to return home?" Smolder asked with idle curiosity.

Gaius looked down with a sense of melancholy and spoke sadly, "I do wish to return to the dragons, but I have no right to show my face back there, what kind of dragon lord loses his throne. Scales may be gone, and a new dragon lord has risen, but that doesn't erase the shame I've brought upon the dragons."

"We'll gladly welcome you back with open claws, I'll even step down as dragon lord and give the title to you" Ember said with tears in her eyes after hearing his tale of woe, but the former dragon lord raised his hand again and politely declined.

"I appreciate the offer, but I must decline." He said in a gentle voice. "I've heard of the new dragon lords that have been named, and I've heard of what a good job you're doing Ember, and I must admit you deserve the throne more than me, I'll admit I was a good dragon lord, but you are a great dragon lord, you Ember are bringing my dream of dragons and ponies living in harmony to fruition, more so than I could, most dragons still didn't want to when I was in power.

"Well, that's partly due to me Mr. Gaius." I interjected. "I was actually the one who won the gauntlet of fire, but I gave the sceptre to Ember knowing she'll do well as dragon lord and not invade Ponyville."

"Ah another dragon who likes ponies, what's your name." Gaius spoke with pride.

"My name is Spike, Mr. Gaius." I answered him.

He then rose his hand and said "Please, just call me Gaius." He replied in a gentle tone. "But please, tell me more about you three." He asked kindly.

Gaius then started a small campfire with his fire breath and waited patiently for one of us to speak.

I started to tell my tale to Gaius first, "Well I was hatched by Twilight Sparkle, one of my best pony friends and my mom in a sense, I've been assisting her ever since she hatched me." I told him to which his eyes beamed with joy hearing that a dragon was living with ponies.

"I'm actually the daughter of the previous dragon lord Torch, like Spike said he actually won, but gave the throne to me so his pony friends would be safe." Ember said as she started telling her tale.

As the green fire danced on the cable's walls Gaius was watching and listening to us intensively it was at this time Smolder told Gaius more about her.

"I actually live in Ponyville to as a student of the School of Friendship, I didn't want to be there at first, but I came to enjoy it and made so many great friends." She said before her and Ember asked Gaius if he'd excuse us for a minute before pulling me aside when he kindly obliged.

"Spike, I may be wrong, but I think Gaius may be your biological father." Smolder said to me with Ember nodding in agreement.