• Published 7th Apr 2019
  • 1,580 Views, 39 Comments

Shadow Rising - Shadow Hound



What happens when a visitor from the north of Equestria comes for a visit. A event that will change the Kingdom forever. Secrets get exposed, dimensions get crossed And the sun may never rise again. Find out in this adventure story.

  • ...
4
 39
 1,580

Chapter Ten: The Nightmare Inside Me

Applejack and Shadow walked up to the door of Twilight's crystal castle. The door creaked as the wind blew up against it. The metal handle glimmered in the moonlight.

Applejack turned to Shadow. “Ya need to be on your best behavior.”

Shadow put a hoof up to his chest and responded, “Meeeee! You do know who you are talking to?”

Applejack had the look of being done with him on her face. “Yes, I do.”
Applejack’s voice turned to one of concern. “I don’t need a repeat of last time.”

Shadow used his magic to grab the door knocker. Several loud knocks echoed through the night.

Spike opened the door. “Applejack, you made it! It is so good to see you.”

Shadow looked confused. “Didn’t you just see her yesterday?”

Spike looked confused, “Yeah, but it is always good to see friends.”

Shadow responded, “Interesting.”

Spike waved a claw for them to come in. “Right this way. Twilight is set up in the library.”

Applejack trotted through the door, and Shadow followed.

Shadow whispered to Applejack, “Why am I not surprised that she is in the library?”

Applejack chuckled and walked through the door. She looked back to Shadow. “Here, I will show you how to get to the library. This castle can be a maze if you don’t know your way around.”

Applejack and Shadow walked into the massive library. Books lined all of the walls. Twilight stood in a corner, looking down at a list as she wrote down a few words. Twilight looked at all of her friends and then down at the list. Gently she spoke, “We need to hurry so they can make the next train.”

Rainbow Dash commented, “Ahhh, Twilight.” She then flew up to the ceiling, “Why didn’t we meet in the friendship room?”

Twilight responded, “Because, if we met here, then we can get something to read. Also it would save five point fifteen minutes from our schedule.”

Rainbow Dash laughed. “Twilight, you and your schedule.”

Twilight defended, “I don’t know what is so funny. If we miss the train, then we will have to wait six hours for the next one, then we are going to be late. ”

Twilight screamed, “I CAN’T BE LATE! WE SHOULD HAVE BEEN THERE EARLIER!” She trotted around the library in circles. “If we are not there, then what if the Gala doesn’t start? If the Gala doesn’t start then? Canterlot is going to look bad.” Twilight started breathing in and out rapidly. “If Canterlot looks bad, then Celestia will never put me in charge of anything again.” Twilight fell to the floor and started combing her tail with her hoof.

Shadow whispered to Applejack, “Is she ok?”

Applejack grinned, “She is fine. Just give her a minute.”

Twilight shot up from the ground. Her nose touched Applejack’s. “We don’t have a minute.”

Applejack didn’t flinch.

Rarity spoke up. “We better get ready and test the clothes first.”

Twilight fell to the ground and started rolling back and forth on her back. “We don’t have time!”

Rarity looked at Shadow. “Do you have anything you want to do? Before you put the suit on?”

Shadow looked puzzled. “What do you mean?”

Rarity sighed. “Don’t you want to get cleaned up before the Gala? Surely Twilight will let you use the tub.”

Twilight responded, “There is no TIME! The train leaves in ten minutes.”

Rarity whined, “But Twilight, darling, I don’t want the suit to get all sweaty,” she said while waving a hoof in front of her face which wore a disgusted squint.

Shadow sniffed his armpits. “I smell fine.”

Rarity winced.

Twilight said, “If we are late for the train, then we are going to have to wait six hours for the next train.”

Rarity whined, “But twilight!”

Twilight responded, “We can’t be late. The Gala is too important.”

Rarity stomped her hoof, “FINE!” She hovered the suit next to Shadow.

Shadow looked at the suit. Twilight yelled, “Do it faster!”

Shadow looked around and blinked. Before he knew it, he was fully dressed. And a magic hue vanished from his vision.

Shadow looked at Rarity. “Ahh, thanks.”

Rarity asked, “How does it feel? Is it too tight?”

Shadow looked at himself. “It feels great.”

Applejack smiled. “You look like a barrel of fresh apples.”

Shadow looked at Applejack with a slight smile for a few seconds and then it disappeared.

Twilight used her magic to pull Shadow to the shelf of Daring Do books.

Twilight said, “It is going to be a long trip. You might want to read.” Twilight gleefully grinned. “I have every novel.”

Rarity walked up to Twilight. “You said what you wanted to hurry. It is time that you tried on your dress.”

Twilight rolled her eyes. “Rarity, we don’t have time. My dress is going to fit.”

Rarity insisted, “Twilight, on the train is the perfect time to make any adjustments. I will not take no for an answer.” Rarity smiled. “Besides, trying it on will only take a few seconds.”

Twilight breathed out heavily. “Ok, fine.”

Twilight followed Rarity over to a giant mirror.

Shadow looked over his shoulder and looked at the group. Everyone's attention was on Twilight. Except for Pinkie Pie who was looking through a stack of coloring books. Shadow looked at the shelf and found the book on the Crystal Empire.

He looked over at Twilight. She was having trouble getting her hooves into her dress. Shadow overheard their conversation.

Rarity tsked, “Twilight are you getting taller?”

Twilight insisted, “I am the same size that I have always been. Maybe the dress shrank.”

Rarity gasped. “Impossible! I only wash delicately with cold water.”

Shadow scanned through the books until he came across a book titled History of the Crystal Empire. Slowly Shadow opened the book so he would not gain any attention. He examined the pages, looking for anything on the Crystal Heart. Shadow giggled to himself. “The tiny ewes look so cute.” Shadow looked around to see if anypony heard him. He breathed a sigh when he saw that Twilight and her friends were looking at Pinkie Pie, who was making siren noises. Shadow bit his lip.

Just a little longer. He thought to himself.

Finally, Shadow saw a page that looked promising. It was a page with a picture of the Crystal Heart on it. Shadow’s heart stopped. He read a page that was titled Crystal Heart and how to charge it. Shadow thought for a moment on what to do next. Shadow decided that he might gather their attention if he tries to magic his bag into the room. The light alone from teleportation might alert them to what he is doing.

Then Shadow thought about taking the dust jacket off a Daring Do book and putting it on the Magic book. He could take the whole book. Then he realized none of the Daring Do books were the same size.

Quietly Shadow said under his breath, “For my kingdom. I do what I have to.” Gently he tore the page out.

Shadow heard Twilight say, “We need to leave now. Hurry up, girls.”

Quickly Shadow shoved the Crystal book back onto the shelf. Then he grabbed the first Daring Do book that was within hoof reach. He put the page from the Crystal Heart book into his pocket.

Twilight trotted up behind Shadow. Shadow said, “I made my choice.” He looked at the book cover. “Daring Do and the Half-Gator Prince.”

Twilight smiled and in a soft voice said, “Ooooooooooowwww, good choice!” she cheers. “I love the twist ending in that story.”

Shadow responded, “What?”

Twilight turned to her friends. “Ok, now let’s go to the station.”

Rarity looked at Shadow. “First, take it off.”

Shadow dropped the book. “Wait. What?”

Rarity said, “Please be a dear and take off the suit.” She pointed across the room. “And put it in the trunk.”

Shadow sighed. “Why did I just put it on only to take it back off?”

Rarity said, “I don’t want your suit to get messy before the Gala.”

Shadow thinks to himself about how he is so close to being able to read the page. Shadow very carefully pushes the page deep into his pocket.

Shadow asked with a grin, “Are you sure it is so comfy.”

Rarity looked at Shadow and blinked. “Yes, I am. I don’t need any tea or crumbs getting on it during the train ride.”

Shadow sighed and slowly started taking off the suit.

Rarity said, “Thank you. I can adjust the suit on the train.”

Shadow folded the suit and put it into the trunk. Silently he cursed under his breath.

Applejack side bumped him as she giggled. “Don’t ya worry there, Sugarcube. You’ll get it back … eventually.”

Shadow half smiled. “Yeah, I know.”

Twilight and the group looked at the door. Twilight picked up a scroll. “Ok, do we have everything?”

Twilight looked at the chest full of clothes. “We have our dresses, so check.”

Rarity closed the truck. It latched shut with a snapping sound.

Twilight looked back to her list. She read out loud, “Ok. Do we have the books?”

Pinkie Pie rode past Twilight on a cart full of books. “Check!” Pinkie kicked her hooves to make it go forward.

Twilight warned, “Be careful. Some of those are first edition books.”

Pinkie Pie saluted her. “Careful is my middle name.”

Rainbow Dash laughed. “You and your books.”

Applejacks sighed. “We didn’t bring books in the past.”

Twilight grins. “But what if somepony gets bored? What if somepony doesn’t have anything to do? What if Shadow wants to read all the Daring Do books?”

Twilight looked at the clock. “Oh my Celestia! Hurry! We are going to be late.”

Applejack sighed. “Can we leave the books?”

Twilight shouted, “THE BOOKS MUST COME!”

Shadow looked at the cart and wondered if he could sneak the Crystal book onto the cart. He quickly dismissed it because Pinkie Pie was riding it around the room.

Twilight shouted, “Ready?”

Pinkie Pie put a helmet on and then boldly declared, “Ready.”

Fluttershy said, “Um, I am good.”

Quickly they all ran out the door and into the night.


It was dark at the train station, and the clock struck one. A grey earth stallion with a white beard looked at his watch. Slowly and cautiously, he walked along the side of the train for several minutes. Ponies from inside the train were either asleep and resting against the window. The stallion stopped at the front of the train. He looked to see the engineer. A stallion named Steamer was feeding the fire. The boiler smoked, ready to start its journey—only a few more seconds left before he had to do the next step of his job.

The grey earth pony looked at his watch. When he looked up from it, he saw a familiar face. Flag Wave walked up to him. “Hey, Ticket Agent.”

Ticket Agent smiled. “How is your son? Is he still playing with that Hoofstation?”

Flag Wave frowned, “Yes, a little too much. I am getting scared. All he does is play on it.”

He looked at Ticket Agent, “Sometimes he barely even knows when I am home.”

Steamer looked at him with a casual glance, “They are hiring at the station.”

Flag Wave responded, “He says he doesn’t want to do it. Says he needs to beat Gannon.”

Ticket Agent frowned. “Ya know, you could take the power jewel out of it. He can’t play with it if he can’t turn it on.”

Flag Wave sighed. “I don’t want to be extreme.”

Steamer shook his head. Ticket Agent said, “Extreme would be taking a hammer to it.”

Ticket Agent looked at his watch again then looked at Flag Wave, “Tell him that he has to earn the power jewel back.”

Flag Wave tapped the station platform with his hoof. “Do you think I should? That makes it sound like I am treating him like a foal.”

Ticket Agent said, “He is twenty-four years old. He doesn’t even have a cutie mark. He can’t be at home for his entire life playing video games.”

Flave Wave sighed. “I don’t know.”

Ticket Agent shrugged. “I told you my opinion. You could either take it or don’t. What you decide doesn’t affect me, but he can’t get a cutie mark playing video games.”

Ticket Agent, eager for the next step in his job, stared at the device and chewed on his mustache. Finally, his pocket watch signaled that it was time. He shut it and placed it in his pocket. He looked to Flag Wave and Steamer and said, “Let’s get this train rolling.”

Flag Wave walked to the end of the station platform and stood within the vision of Steamer. He held his arms down, a red and a green flag in each front hoof at his sides.

Ticket Agent smiled. He put a hoof up to his mouth and shouted, “All aBOOOooaaarRRDD!” He watched as most of the remaining ponies on the station platform entered the train.

Slowly he walked down the train and began the task of locking each of the doors individually.

Twilight ran as fast as her hooves would carry her. Pinkie Pie pushed the cart with her hooves. Rainbow Dash flew ahead slightly. Applejack, Shadow, Fluttershy, and Rarity all ran behind them. Twilight looked back to her friends. “Hurry girls. We need to hurry. Ticket Agent is not going to wait for us.”

Twilight looked at Shadow and blushed, "Sorry, I meant girls and guy."

Shadow ran with his mouth wide open as he struggled for air. He was not use to running, normally he would fly. He looked at Twilight and just nodded to acknowledge her correction.

Twilight jumped when she heard a familiar yell. “All aBOOOooaaarRRDD.”

Twilight ran as fast as her legs could carry her. Scared, she started to panic, “Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh! Hurry girls and guy! We only have a few minutes.”

Running became much easier when the group of friends started running downhill. Twilight looked to her side to see that Pinkie Pie was riding the cart like a surfboard.

Pinkie grinned at Twilight. “Look! I don’t even need to push it.” The cart flew past Twilight. The sound of Pinkie Pie yelling, “Woo hoo!” echoed through the trees.

Quickly Twilight looked in front of Pinkie Pie to see a rather large problem. The cart was heading for the train at high speed, and Pinkie Pie was too distracted to stop. Twilight started shooting magic at Pinkie Pie in an attempt to stop the cart. Pinkie Pie dashed to the side.

Ticket Agent walked up to the last door. He stepped into the carriage and looked out in front of the train. Satisfied, he yelled. “All clear.” Flag Wave, oblivious to Pinkie Pie, scanned the station and confirmed the order. Flag Wave raised his hoof and started to wave the green flag in the air. Steamer turned a few valves, and the train began to lurch forward.

Shadow ran beside Twilight Sparkle. Magic shot from his horn.

The cart and Pinkie Pie shot into the station, Shadow's magic blast followed behind it.

Just moments before the cart smashed into the train, the cart glowed in a blue hue and stopped. Pinkie pie was flung forward. She spun in a ball and landed at the feet of Flag Wave.

Quickly, Flag Wave raised the red flag and shouted, “PONY ON THE PLATFORM.”

The train screeched to a stop. The train coaches banged and clattered behind it pushing the train forward a few inches.

Pinkie Pie looked up at Flag Wave. He looked at her with a stern look of disappointment. Twilight and her friends ran into the train station. Twilight yelped, “PINKIE, what were you thinking?” She looked back at Shadow, who was struggling for breath. “If Shadow didn’t stop you, you would have rolled in front of the moving train.”

Pinkie Pie smiled, “That was fun. Can we do that again?!”

They heard the growl of Ticket Agent behind them. “I hope you do not. You could have been hurt. You should never play around train tracks.”

Twilight turned to Ticket Agent. “I am sorry.”

Ticket Agent frowned. “I understand, Miss Sparkle. Luckily, nopony was hurt. But, next time, don’t play around the railroad tracks.”

Ticket Agent tapped his foot to the awkward silence. He turned around, “Please get off the platform so the train can get moving.”

Twilight pleaded, “Can my friend and I get on the train? Please?”

“I shouldn’t. You are late.” Ticket Agent insisted.

Pinkie Pie looked at Ticket Agent with hopeful eyes. Ticket Agent looked at her with disapproval. Calmly she reached into the either and grabbed a gift. She held out a cupcake and smiled hopefully at him.

Ticket Agent sighed. “I shouldn’t say what I am about to say.”

Twilight awkwardly stared at him. “Yes.”

Ticket Agent smacked his lips. “You have saved this town from more dangers than I can count. You may get on the train.”

Twilight responded, “Thank you so much.”

Ticket Agent ordered, “Be fast. I don’t want the train to be late.”

Applejack and Rainbow Dash helped carry the trunk onto the train.

Pinkie Pie gave three cupcakes to Ticket Agent, Pinkie Pie said, “This is for the most awesome pony ever.”

Ticket Agent grinned. “Thank you.” And shoved one into his mouth. He gave one to steamer who ate it in one bite. He held up the last cupcake in the direction of Flag wave. Flag wave shook his head no. Ticket Agent ate the second.

Shadow walked up to the train and stopped to look back at the group. He smiled, “Ladies first.”

Ticket Agent walked up to the door and shouted, “ALL ABOARD.” After that, the train started chugging forward and continued down the tracks until it was out of sight.

Flag Wave put down the flags and walked off the platform. "I guess I am done for today. Time to go home."


On a mountainside cliff where the wonderbolts HQ was located, the loudspeaker rang out as Tight Ship spoke. “We are now going to begin testing the emergency alarm.”

A minute later, the alarm sounded. A few minutes later, the alarm stopped. Tight Ship got back onto the loudspeaker. “Thank you! That will conclude the test of the alarm system.”

Tight Ship stepped down from the control tower. He sighed as he noticed Spitfire walking over to him.

Spitfire commanded, “Fine job as always. The sooner we complete the princess’s orders, the sooner we can get back to business.”

Tight Ship responded, “Are you sure we should be testing the alarms? We have not had a level nine threat in five years since Luna returned. Business has slowed down since Twilight showed up, and we were told only to get involved in level eight threats and above.”

Spitfire ordered, “Easy there, Celestia told us never to mention Luna's past again. We do not need the new troops to lose trust in the princess. If you keep doing that, then I will have to take action.”

Tight Ship sighed. “Isn’t that a little dramatic?”

Spitfire said, “Insubordination needs to be dealt with. If you can’t handle orders, then I am going to have to deal with it.”

Tight Ship didn’t say a word.

Spitfire tried to change the subject. “How are the packs doing?”

Tight Ship responded, “You mean the magic cannons?”

Spitfire laughed. “Yeah. I can’t even remember the other name that Twilight gave them.”

Tight Ship responded, “The last time I talked to the mechanics, they said that the packs are accepting the dummy crystals. At the gala the cannons will fire a harmless magic bolt.” Tight Ship smiled, "It should be quite the show."

Spitfire grinned. “That is good to hear.”

Tight Ship continued, “Welcome to the most expensive fireworks show in Equestria.”

Spitfire asked, “How much did they set back the academy budget anyway?”

Tight Ship chuckled. “More bits than I will make this year.” Tight Ship pointed a hoof at the hanger. “I don’t even know why we need the magic cannon. The highest threat that we got last year was a bugbear. It is a level seven threat, so we still didn’t have to get involved.”

Spitfire yawned. “Be happy about that. If we never have to use the magic cannon in combat, it is all the better for us. Long periods of peace between the kingdoms is always a good thing.”

Tight Ship looked at Spitfire. “It just seems like a waste to spend all those bits on a weapon that may never get used.”

Spitfire looked at the landing strip right as a cadet was landing. “And let’s hope we never have to use it.”


Shadow looked around the train car. The lights flickered. Shadow got up and looked around to see everypony snoring. Then the lights flickered and everypony was gone. The lights went out again, and a blue hue filled the train car. Shadow mocked, “Oh no! I hope it is not a nightmare.”

Shadow giggled to himself. “Haven’t we played this game enough?”

Shadow smacked his face with his hoof. His face hurt and felt numb. “Well, I guess I am not waking up yet.”

Shadow walked down the center aisle. He passed by several empty seats. Carefully he scanned the seats to make sure that nothing was going to jump out.

Slowly he entered another train car. From the front, he could hear a pony sobbing. Slowly he walked toward the front. His heart rate increased. Why am I scared? He thought. The air was so thick, heavy, and hot that Shadow struggled to breathe. For a few seconds, Shadow pondered on if this was even a dream. It felt so real, and why was he scared? Shadow struggled to speak. Finally, he mustered a single word. “Hello.”

Shadow felt slightly relieved when he heard a familiar voice cry out, “Go away.”

Shadow sighed, “Twilight Sparkle. Why do you want me to leave?”

Twilight said, “Because you’re a monster.”

Shadow clenched his teeth and growled, “Don’t say that.”

Twilight continued. “You’re a monster, and because of you, everyone is gone.”

Shadow looked at Twilight. Twilight’s head was resting in her hooves, and she was slumped over. She sobbed to the point where there was a puddle of water under her.

Shadow laughed out loud. “Are you serious? Is this the best that you can do? I know this is a dream. If you want to get me mad, you are going to have to try harder.”

Twilight's fur turned to orange, her mane turned blond, and a brown hat appeared on her head. In Applejack’s voice, the form said, “How could you? They are all gone.”

Shadow shook his head and started walking away. “Just no, no, no, no. You are not going to fool me for the third time in a week.”

Applejack sobbed, “Don’t you care about me? Please come help me.”

Shadow grinned. “I know what you are trying to do. You are trying to get me to come close, and then you are going to jump out and tell me to say it. I have heard this story before.”

Applejack yelled, “FINE!” She then said softly, “Leave me that is all that you are good at.”

Shadow turned around. “Seriously? You are going to have to try a little harder, sugar cube. I have been alive for one-thousand years. Everyone leaves me eventually.”

Shadow shrugged his shoulders. “The first twenty times I was scared, but now, this is just predictable.”

Applejack's form turned dark, and her eyes turned purple. The form floated up to Shadow and looked in his face. “Wasn’t it a little scary?”

Shadow yelled, “THE FIRST TIME!”

Nightmare floated in the air up to Shadow. “You dare mock me?”

Shadow grinned, “Did I hit a nerve, pudding?”

“You will show me some respect!” Nightmare demanded.

“And….” Shadow said as he rolled his paws in the air. “just say it.”

Nightmare looked menacingly at Shadow, “You think I am funny.”

Shadow grinned, “It is very predictable. I already said no, I will not let you into my head. You do enough damage on your own without me.”

Nightmare grit her teeth, “Predict this little pup.”

Nightmare turned black and grew four times larger than Shadow. Her hooves turned to Claws. She grew sharp teeth. Her fur turned dark grey and a red cloak formed on her back.

Shadow started to back away and realized that he was shrinking. He looked at his body, and he was a pup again.

Shadow whimpered, “Ok, now you are scary.”

Nightmare now looked just like his father. Shadow tried to run away.

Nightmare spoke in his father’s voice, “You are nothing but a disappointment, boy!”

Shadow struggled to breathe. His heart felt like it was going to jump out of his chest. His head started to hurt from lack of air. His body shook. Shadow quickly hid behind one of the seats in the train car. Shadow hit himself in the face in a useless attempt to wake himself.

Nightmare shouted in a commanding voice, “Face me, boy! Or you will be punished.”

Nightmare slowly trotted down the aisle. She threw a row of seats across the train car. “Still think this is funny?”

Shadow answered, “That is a low blow. Looking just like my father. You knew I wouldn’t attack.”

Nightmare grinned. “I know more than that boy. I am in your head.”

She kicked Another seat.

“I know about your past with him.” Nightmare taunted. “I know how he treated you when you were a pup.”

Shadow yelped as his body was magically picked up and was thrown in a wooden crate. Shadow sighed when he heard the box become surrounded by chains. The box fell onto its side smashing Shadows face into the ground.

Shadow said in a monotone voice, “You are disgusting.”

Nightmare laughed, “Maybe a night in isolation will make you reconsider. I hope you don’t run out of air. I know how you feel about small spaces.”

Shadow yawned and then replied, “Lucky for me I don’t need to breathe. It is just a dream. Why would this scare me when I know your tricks?”

Nightmare grit her teeth.

Shadow replied, "Could you keep it down so I can get some sleep?"

Nightmare stomped her hoofs and the box disappeared.

Nightmare taunted, “I know what disgusts you.”

A pile of roaches started surrounding Shadow's feet. Shadow ran from the left side of the train car to the right side.

Nightmare slowly moved closer. Nightmare taunted, “I know what you like.”

Shadow stopped and ran back to the left corner, of the train car, as a pile of apples flooded the seat.

Nightmare kicked another chair out of the way. “I am in your head, Shadow. And, in many ways, you are me.”

Shadow stated. “I would have to disagree. I am nothing like you.”

Nightmare threw another chair down the train car. It smashed against the door. A piece of wood landed at Shadow's feet. “I know how confused you are that he even sent you on this mission. How he always called you the family screw up.”

Shadow looked back to see that Nightmare was standing right behind him. Shadow thought it was strange. Why is she not moving?

Nightmare said, “I know the real reason why you are staying away from your pack. How you are scared that if you took control, you would end up just like your father.

Shadow said back, “I am not scared of anything. They are fully capable and do not need me to tell them what to do.” Shadow took a deep breath and shouted with the Authority. “They know the mission. They should be free to choose how to do it.”

“Whatever helps you sleep at night, little puppy.” Nightmare grinned, “I know how you are scared that your little Applejack will leave you.”

Nightmare paused for a moment, “Yes, Applejack.” She proposed. “Maybe I should fill her head with enough nightmares to make her beg me to stop. And then I can use her body to destroy your pack. And after she realizes what she has done when she screams in pain, then I will end her.”

Shadow jumped out from behind the chair at Nightmare, claws out. He bared his teeth. He yelled, “Don’t you dare.”

Nightmare swept a claw toward him. She struck the mid part of his body. Shadow’s body flew back and landed on an armrest. The armrest broke at the impact, and Shadow felt a burning sensation as pain shot up his back. Shadow tried to get to his feet, but his leg hurt too much. Shadow tried to move his wings and realized that he couldn’t.

Nightmare said, “You are really too easy to manipulate.”

Nightmare snickered, “I even know how much you want to be king. I agree you would be a better king than he is.”

Nightmare bent down and whispered in his ear. “I know how you fear that you will lose. Say yes, and then my power would be added to yours. Combined, we can defeat him.”

Shadow answered, “No, the Kingdom deserves a better king than my father but also one better than me.”

Nightmare reached a claw toward him and grabbed his throat. She held him in the air, and his body fell limp.

Shadow sighed, “Do you think I am going to call us best buddies after this?”

Nightmare growled, “You should reconsider my offer? Do you know the power that I would give you?”

Shadow ordered, “I said, No! Now just get it over so I can wake up.”

Nightmare slammed him through the side of the rail car.

Shadow’s heart raced, cold air flew past his body. He looked down and saw sparks coming from the train wheels. He reached his back paws up and grabbed Nightmare’s arm with them. Shadow panted heavy. Tears started to flow from his face as he held tight to her arm.

Nightmare laughed, “Are you seriously crying. Are you that scared? What would your father think?” Nightmare shook Shadow until his back legs let go of her arm. They now hung down, Shadow was hanging by his neck. Nightmare continued, “He would tell you what I am going to tell you. He would say that you are pathetic. He would say to stop because you look weak. It does make a mare wonder why you kiss his butt.”

Nightmare brought his face closer to her face. She smiled at him. “You will say yes, or I will rip everything out of your life.”

Shadow struggled to breathe. Short of breath, he was able to muster a, “There you go.” He coughed, “I knew you were going to say it.”

Nightmare sneered, “Now wake up, little puppy.” And Nightmare let go of his throat.

Shadow screamed as he saw his body fell toward the hot rails. His body rolled and twisted as it was hit by the hot wheels of the train. His vision went dark. His fur started to feel like it was on fire, and then he felt nothing but the cold air. He struggled to open his eyes and failed. His head hurt as he failed to take a breath. Shadow panicked when he could not move his body. His body hurt all over. Shadow tried and failed to whimper.

Shadow gasped and opened his eyes. He looked around the train car to see the mane six sleeping. Applejack's head rested against his side. She snored softly.

Shadow said under his breath. “Ok, that was scary.”

Shadow gently moved her head onto a pillow so she wouldn’t wake up. Slowly he pulled a blanket over her body. Applejack snored away. Shadow looked at her fondly and sighed. He gently brushed her mane out of her eyes.

Shadow stopped after hearing a familiar voice.

“Aww, how sweet! You must really like her,” Twilight said.

Shadow snapped back. “Leave me alone!”

Twilight responded, “Why are you mad at me now?”

Shadow growled, “You wouldn’t understand. Nopony would.”

Suddenly Shadow looked around to see that he and Twilight were both surrounded in a pink sphere. Shadow gently tapped the side of the bubble. He was met with resistance. He pushed hard against it. It didn’t move. The other ponies in the train car snored away. Shadow bucked the bubble as hard as he could. The bubble didn’t seem phased.

In a way, Shadow was impressed by Twilight. It had been a long time sense he had seen anypony use a barrier spell. However this also annoyed Shadow. He knew that he was trapped and at the mercy of Twilight. Did she know that their air would run out in a few minutes? the fact that Twilight might have overlooked this was frightening.

Shadow knew that his voice could not be heard from the other side of the spell so he yelled, “What is this magic?!” He looked around frantically. “Are you trying to trap me?”

Twilight explained, “It is a spell to stop the sound from waking anypony up!” Twilight spoke softer. “I will stop using it when you stop yelling.”

Shadow responded, “I will stop yelling when you stop using your magic on me!”

Twilight said, “Calm down. I am not going to hurt you.” She spoke kindly. “I only used this spell so you wouldn’t wake anypony.”

Shadow screamed, “I AM TRAPPED. I DON’T LIKE SMALL PLACES."

Shadow held his hooves up in the air. "IS THIS BUBBLE EVEN SAFE?"

Twilight tilted her head as if she was confused by the question.

Shadow pointed to the walls, that did not have an opening. "IS THERE AIR?”

Twilight said softly, “I am not trying to trap you. I am trying to make sure that my friends get their sleep.”

Twilight said softly, “What would Applejack think if she sees you yelling at me?”

Shadow said quietly his lower jaw was extended, “Dirty trick, Twilight Sparkle, using Applejack on me.”

Twilight lowered the sound bubble. Shadow took a deep breath of fresh air. Twilight said in almost a whisper, “Well, it is the truth.”

She smiled back at Shadow, “If you keep your voice low like you just did, then I will not use the shield.” Twilight gloated, “It is a simple spell.”

Shadow rolled his eyes. He was sure now that she did not know about the ways that the spell could be used to hurt ponies.

Twilight sighed, “And before that, I thought it was cute how much you care about Applejack. It was nice to see a good side to you for once.”

Shadow yelled, “What makes you think that I want to be cute?”

Twilight continued softly, “I was not trying to offend you. I am sorry if I did.”

Shadow responded, “Well, you did. Where I come from, cute things do not live long.”

Twilight responded, “I shouldn’t have said that. But you are in Equestria. You don’t have to act tough.”

Shadow said, “Ok. I will try to calm down.”

Twilight smiled. “We are going to the Gala. It's ok to let your guard down. It is a fun time.”

Shadow smiled a little. “Ok, I will try to stop.”

Shadow looked at the ground and spoke to Twilight, “I am…..”

Twilight’s wings rose. She said, “It is ok,” as she put on a half-smile.

Shadow continued, “I am sorry for ruining your lunch.”

Twilight responded, “It wasn’t that bad. I have forgiven ponies for worse. It is kind of my thing.”

Twilight tilted her head, “One thing that I can not understand is why you got so mad during lunch.”

Shadow responded, “I do not like the word ‘monster’. What does that word even mean to you?”

Twilight said, “Well, it is a creature that has no problem hurting a pony.”

Shadow inquired, “So would you call the Storm King a monster?”

Twilight said, “Yes. He hurt many ponies and creatures. You wouldn’t.”

Shadow rolled his eyes, “I would call him a bad leader. A horrible ruler. But not a monster. Klugetown is not the easiest place to rule.”

Shadow asked, “What about Sombra?”

Twilight responded, “Yes. He hurt many ponies.”

Shadow said, “And I know what you think about the Timberwolves.”

Twilight said, “Well, yes. Why do you ask?”

Shadow smacked his lips and asked, “Don’t you think that calling everything a monster ruins what a monster is? If everything is a monster, then doesn’t the word monster lose its effectiveness?”

Twilight tilted her head side to side. “You could be right. I will stop using the word monster in front of you.”

Shadow snapped back, “You can use the word monster. Maybe I was too sensitive. But you also need to understand why I hate that word so much.”

Twilight stared back, “Ok. Continue.”

Shadow thought for a few minutes, then continued. “I would say that a monster is a creature that does bad things only for the pleasure of doing bad things. Something that enjoys watching any creature suffer.”

Twilight said, “Like Tirek?”

Shadow said calmly, “Sure, fine. Call him a monster.” Shadow looked around then put his head in his hooves. “Twilight, put down the shield.”

Twilight blushed, “Sorry.”

Shadow half smiled. “It is ok.”

Shadow held out a hoof. “Let's agree to get along for Applejack’s sake.”

Twilight smiled. “For Applejack,” she agreed.

They shook hooves.

Shadow asked, “So the Gala is a big deal.”

Twilight said, “Yes, I would say that it is a big deal.”

Shadow asked, “So why not leave earlier?”

Twilight said nervously, “Well I had other things I needed to do on my list first.”

Shadow thought to himself. Well the information that the Lycan Empire has is correct. And it has been confirmed by Rainbow Dash. Twilight does have a habbit of making list for everything.

Shadow said, “You plan it every year.” Shadow knew the answer but hoped it would lead to something else.

Twilight said, “No, normally Celestia plans the Gala.”

Shadow said, “Interesting. I wonder why you are planning it?”

Twilight giggled, “To be honest I am surprised as well.”

Shadow did find this fact amusing. In many ways he was like Twilight. She didn't know why she was put in charge of the gala. He didn't know why his father put him in charge of a pack.

Shadow asked, “I am surprised that she didn’t ask Luna to do it.”

Twilight said, “I know, right? They both must be busy.”

Shadow said, “That would be a fair guess.”

Shadow said quietly, “I wonder if the princesses are going to be at the Gala.”

Twilight giggled, “I sure hope so it is in their castle.”

Shadow grinned, “That is true.”

Shadow said under his breath. “So Luna is going to be there.”

Twilight laughed, “Well, she is one of the princesses.”

Shadow asked, “Does she talk about her past?”

Twilight said, “Not really. We don’t know that much about her.”

Shadow frowned. He said, “Ok.”

Twilight echoed, “Ok. I have answered many of your questions. Can you answer one of mine?”

Shadow responded, “Maybe. It depends what it is.”

Twilight looked at Shadow in curiosity. “How did you meet Applejack anyway?”

Shadow sat down in an empty seat. He turned to look out the window. Shadow said, “I only agreed to get along. Besides, you would not believe me anyway if I did tell you."

Twilight started to argue and Shadow cut her off.

Shadow said softly. "I don't know where to start. Maybe someday I will tell you how I met Applejack. First I would need to gather my thoughts.”

Twilight smirked. “Fair enough.”

Twilight turned around and sat back down on her chair. She used her magic to pick up and list and then she looked at it.

Shadow rested his head on the window frame and looked out the closed window. Beads of rain dripped down the glass. He got lost in his own thoughts as he waited for the train ride to end.

Author's Note:

Wow, that chapter was much darker than I meant it to be. Shadow may be going down the rabbit hole further than I originally meant him to. The Gala is coming, but first, we might take some time to get the different pieces into place.

The Gala is coming!!!