• Published 5th Apr 2019
  • 3,495 Views, 151 Comments

The Alchemist's Dream - L Drkheart



Spike has grown as an outcast in dragon society with one exception but he is now leaving the safety of his home for the mystery of the world he had been denied.

  • ...
2
 151
 3,495

The Hidden Ones

Author's Note:

Damn, it has been way too long without any news or updates and I want to apologize for that right upfront. I been dealing with a lot of things and was neglecting others. I hope that I will get back into my regular schedule soon and update all my stories as soon as I can. This may be the start of a three-parter or two depending on how this all works out. Sandbar is younger at the moment, his sister not even being born yet but will slowly show him building his confidence in the face of real danger. Smolder will show up in the next chapter and the hunters aren't a force to be taken lightly. Thank you all for getting this story to over a thousand views and over fifty likes. I can't tell you how much that means to me and I hope you enjoy!

Spike put his bag down on the train before leaving the car and smiling softly at Twilight. She had become a bit of a recluse after she used the want it need it spell and nearly destroyed the town. Spike was forced to call Celestia for help and Twilight spent all her time fixing the time and trying to make it up to the town but even with every pony forgiving her she had yet to forgive herself. When Celestia and Luna sent a letter asking for Spike to meet them in Canterlot for “Royal Business” he reluctantly agreed.

“Did you pack everything? Your potions, stash of gems, emergency comics?”

“Heh yeah, mom I even brought the spare cartridges for my arm and the new dust that Zecora taught me how to make. That zebra sure knows her potions and I'm sure that no matter the job I’ll be ready. Relax okay Twi? The princesses wouldn’t knowingly send me into a dangerous job and this won’t take me too long. I’ll be back before you notice I’m gone. “

“I don’t know… Celestia has given me some ridiculous jobs…”

“But you always get them done so maybe she just trusts you.”

“Yeah… great pony to put her trust in…” Spike frowned and made the girl look at him.

“Hey, we all have lapses in judgment and I should have called her earlier if I thought something was wrong so you weren’t the only one at fault with that incident okay? You are one of the most trustworthy and smartest ponies anywhere and Celestia couldn’t have picked a better pupil.” Twilight smiled gently and held the dragon close while nuzzling him.”

“Okay… I’ll try to relax a bit while you’re gone. Hang out with the girls or maybe invite them to a sleepover. We also have to start getting Ponyville ready for Nightmare Night.”

“Ooo I can’t wait! I have a great idea for my costume! I call it… Spike the Dragon!” Twilight rolled her eyes at his lack of originality.

“Your skills of creativity are just blowing my mind, you don’t even know.”

“Well thanks, Twi I try… oh, that was sarcasm. Ha ha you’re so funny. Okay, maybe I’ll dress like a superhero from those comics that Dash showed me.” Twilight made another face as she saw comics lesser than her novels and told Rainbow not to get him into them too much but she played with the words and gave some comics to the CMC and told them to share with Spike.

“Hmm… how does a knight sound? Shining may have an idea.”

“Shining is coming? Sweet! Sure ask him and when I get back we’ll see what he comes up with, he is the coolest guy around!” Twilight snorted a bit at that last bit.

“My brother? Cool? Maybe in his craziest dreams, I love him but he has always been a bit of a geek behind all the chivalry and heroics. I mean he used to play Ogres and Oubliettes.”

“That sounds fun to me, maybe I’ll try playing and I’ll like it?” Twilight looked hard at the young dragon before smirking.

“Oh, you’d like it for sure.”

“Why do I feel like that was an insult?” Twilight giggled and hugged him tightly as the train’s horn went off signaling its departure. He hugged her back and promised that he would be back as soon as he could and he would be careful. He climbed on the train and waved at Twilight as the train took off. “Don’t try cooking until I get back! I’d like the library to be there when I do!”

“Very funny! Have fun…” He hoped that she would be okay in his absence but he had faith in her friends and in Owlicious to watch over her and be there when she needed them.

“Be safe…” He sighed and took a seat nearby, chuckling a bit when he thought back to the train ride when he first arrived in Ponyville. The mystery and his meeting with the thief Smolder. He thought about the time they’ve both been away from their homes. His mind shifted to his sister figure and he wondered where Ember was now and whether or not she was still watching him.

“Whoa! I know you!” Spike was snapped from his thoughts as a young stallion was standing near his face and he jumped back in surprise.

“Hey be careful who you sneak up on kid, a dragon like me could have attacked you or something.” The earth pony was almost more a colt than stallion as he was small but not as small as one of the CMC. He had a light coat with a vibrant aquamarine mane and a short tail. His eyes were wide and he had a smirk on his face.

“Yeah right, I know who you are! You’re the dragon that I heard about from the town and those girls that were running around. You’re Spike!”

“You know about me? I hope it’s all good things.”

“Course, my uncle met you once on a ride to Ponyville just like this one. He told me that you actually helped him out on a jewel case.”

“Wait, a jewel case? Your uncle is Curt, right? Curt Rough?”

“Yeah that’s him, he’s my dad’s brother and he told me that he met the savior of Canterlot and even got to work with him. I knew he was telling the truth, my dad said he was lying because why would a dragon ride a train when they can fly?”

“Heh well usually he’d be right but I’m a bit small so no wings yet but I think I’ll get some eventually. Wait, you aren’t scared of me?”

“Nope, in Fillydelphia there is a part of the city called Dragon Town so I’m used to dragons and they are all really nice if not a bit cold. Ooo you’re friends with the ponies that beat Discord right?! I always wanted to meet Rainbow Dash and Rarity, they seemed to be so calm, cool, and heroic!”

“Heh, you’d be a bit shocked.” He thought of how Rarity was panicking and crying when she was afraid she had lost a jewel-encrusted brush and when she found it she thought she saw a grey hair and went through a midlife crisis. Rainbow on the other hoof only had two modes, super-fast or lazy and couldn’t be bothered but she would help any pony as long as there was a chance to show off. “If you want cool and collected I think I’d go with Applejack. So you know who I am but what’s your name?”

“Sandbar and I’ll take that as a compliment.” Spike chuckled and looked around the empty cart, opening his mouth to question it, Sandbar had the answer ready. “Just the two of us. I was visiting my aunt and uncle in Ponyville but my uncle's job keeps him traveling and he said that he’d pick me up in Fillydelphia but a voice in the background said something about a job.

“Hmm you are a pretty observant little thing aren’t ya?” He moved a bit to see his cutie mark, three turtles. “So you want to be something that has to do with sea life?”

“Actually I think it’s more subtle, when I got my mark I was on the ocean and seeing how open and wide it was I felt a sense of freedom fill me. I saw three turtle hatchlings and made sure they were safe as they got to the water. Those feelings of being free and helping others achieve it is what I think my mark means. I want to give that feeling to every creature in the world, to give them a pony who they don’t have to hide who they are from.” Spike blinked in shock at the declaration of the young pony, but he spoke with conviction.

“Well I’m routing for you then Sandbar, that is a pretty good goal to have. I came out here just to see the world, not save it. Fate has a weird way of working but since we just so happened to meet here, at least now I feel good knowing that if anything bad happens in Fillydelphia they have a hero of their own.” The two laughed as Spike messed up Sandbar’s mane and the train came to its stop in Canterlot. Spike took one step off the train before he was met with the princesses and he jumped, dropping his suitcase and bowing his head. “P-Princess Celestia! Princess Luna! What are you two doing here?”

“Told you sister! Every pony always says your name before mine! It’s not fair...” Luna pouted and looked at Celestia who only gave a small giggle.

“Luna, Spike is a dragon.”

“Thou is changing the subject and thou knows it!”

“Uhhh… princesses?”

“Well, I can’t command that everypony switch the order in which they prefer saying our names.”

“Heeello?”

“Yes, you can! You can do anything! You just don’t want to!” Spike facepalmed as he let the princess bicker and Sandbar noticed the trained wasn’t leaving and stared at the princesses in awe. After several minutes and a few claw checks, they finally cooled down and Spike shook his head.

“So was there an actual reason for this ‘Royal Business?’”

“Of course, we always have a reason. We received a letter from the police force in Fillydelphia and they requested you join them for a specific case.”

“Why me?”

“You shall receive the specifics of the case when you arrive, usually I deal with cases that involve other races but they said that this was more of a lesser case that did not require my assistance.” Luna said while pointing to herself.

“We wish you to go to Fillydelphia and do what you can Spike but be prepared, even if that city is the most opened to Dragonkind in Equestria there are still some arrogant ponies that will treat you with disdain. I ask you not to do anything that would stress those relations.”

“I’ll do my best princesses and I’ll send a report when the job is done.” Spike bowed again and waved at them, asking them if they had the time to visit Twilight, Luna tapping her chin in thought at the request. He looked down to see Sandbar was still staring at the princesses and he grabbed his tail, gently pulling him back into the cart as they started off again. “You know I learn more and more every time I meet them that the princesses are just like every other pony.”

“Except for the fact that they have the power to wipe entire mountains off the map?”

“Yeah except for that.” As the two talked and played cards that Sandbar had brought along, Spike managing to lose some bits in the process, a group of ponies looked at the two from the cart over.

“That’s him, the mistress said that the dragon holds the magic of every princess in concentrated vials that he uses to power that arm, with those in our hooves the curse on our queen shall break and all of Equestria will fall to the rightful ruler of the land.” The group was made of all kinds of ponies wearing white cloaks while the leader wore a black one that covered their face.

“Then why not attack him now? All there is standing in our way is that colt and he can be disposed of quite easily.” One of the unicorns of the group smirked taking a step towards the two but the leader of the group growled and made her step back.

“Fool! Not only could that destroy our cover but we are not to make a scene or those blasted princesses would know about us and if they destroy the anchor before we can free her than the queen could die. If that dragon finds out what it is we seek then he may destroy the vials before we get them! No, the dragon must stay alive until the day he is no longer useful. We have waited a thousand years for the day we would be able to have the chance to free our queen and this no creature shall stand in our way.” Most of the group nodded and bowed but the unicorn from before who gritted her teeth as she turned away. The leader ignored her as a devious smirk spread across his face and he stared at Spike, his eyes burning with malice. “Soon you will bring us home and a new era shall begin, the old fool is gone and nothing can save you now...”

. . .

Spike grumbled as the waiter wrestled the bits from him and huffed off, leaving a grumpy dragon and a very satisfied pony. Sandbar had managed to win some bits and even a meal of his choice from the dragon. Spike, on the other hoof, was grumbling curses as he stared at the bill.

“How can this place be more expensive than real restaurants!? It’s robbery!”

“Why didn’t you just pay with one of the gems you have in your bag?”

“Hey, I said no more snooping kid and that is my snack hoard.”

“I wasn’t snooping really, I call it observing.”

“Ever been told you’re a bit of a smart flank?”

“I usually take it as a compliment.” Sandbar smirked and ate his hay fries a bit loudly, annoying the dragon a bit as he sipped at his sapphire sundae. “So what’s like being a dragon? You said you came to Equestria to see the world?” Spike leaned back in his chair thinking back to the day he left and changed his life, now he had everything he could have asked for and more.

“It’s not all bad, we may not have magic mostly but the flying is great for those with wings and being super strong can’t hurt. The scales can be a bit of a pain if you ever wax and shine them, in Ponyville that took three hours last time. Heat is a big thing to dragons and I’m a bit embarrassed to say that we try to gain it any way we can. I may have been the one that took up all the hot water in town one day.”

“That was you?!” Sandbar laughed as Spike tried to defend himself. They were cut off as Sandbar jumped down from the table and rushed to the window, smiling as he saw his hometown coming up. Spike walked over next to him and gasped at the large city he saw. He had been to Canterlot and it looked like a fairly big city and certainly the largest one he had ever seen but this was different. The buildings seemed to be made of glass and extended high into the sky and covered most of the city in permanent darkness. As Spike looked closer, he noticed fumes surrounded the city.

“Yeah as good as it looks from the outset, the city can be a pretty bad place depending on where you are. If you are going to be here for, however long, I think you should be careful. It’s pretty dirty and the air can be hard to get used to especially since you live in a place like Ponyville.”

“Why not clean up the city then? I bet with magic it wouldn’t be so hard.”

“It’s a pretty massive city and the ponies there usually look out for themselves. Besides at night things would just get messed up all over again. Nighttime is when the slurring dancing ponies come out.”

“Slurring dancing ponies?” The two turned as a voice announced that they were coming to their stop. They grabbed their luggage and soon the train came to the end of the line and the doors opened, Sandbar running out excitedly. Spike walked out and turned to see Sandbar talking to Curt and smiled softly at how happy his friend was. He felt a shiver down his spine and he turned to see nothing, the strange feeling of being watched remained until he felt a hoof on his shoulder and he jumped several feet in shock.

“Heh sorry mister Spike, didn’t mean to catch you off guard there. I wanted to thank ya for guiding my nephew home and keeping him company. I know he can be a bit of a hoofful sometimes.” Spike chuckled and shook the hoof.

“No need for that Officer Rough, he was a good companion and kept me from talking to myself the whole trip. So were you the one that called me here?”

“Yes, I should have sent you a letter or something but I didn’t want this getting out to the public in case the letter was lost.” Spike thought about Ditzy Do and chuckled guessing that the officer’s intuition made the right choice. “So I informed the princesses that we needed you. Some of the boys here in Fillydelphia are more hesitant to work with dragons so be prepared for that. Sandbar let’s go, your parents will be working hard on the city’s new aquarium so you get to spend some time with your uncle while he works.”

“Sweet, deputy Sandbar reporting for duty.” They watched him trot off towards the carriage but before Spike could follow, Rough extended an arm blocking his way.

“I have a weird feeling Mister Spike, I think we should be cautious.”

“I had a weird feeling too since I got off the train…”

“Our job here has to do with our friend from last time we met.”

“Flip Side?”

“Nope, the other one. They sent this to the local museum as it’s getting ready to open a new exhibit on dragon artifacts.” He pulled out a strange rock that Spike recognized coming from the Dragon Lands. There was writing carved into the rock and a dark smudge under the words.

I shall be where the stars shine bright

No matter day or night

I will attack when light appears in the sky

Whatever you do, don’t trust the eye

Spike looked at the message and knew that only Smolder could have gotten ahold of the kind of rock and that she had left something for him. The rock was unique as some of the smarter dragons used to pass secret notes with it. The rock was able to take in soot extremely easily and would cover a message making it look like any plain rock except for a darker smudge that would be the only way to know the message was there. The only way to see the message would be to apply enough heat to get rid of the soot but not too much to burn away the curving. It was a test of self-control for many dragons and more often they would fail. He couldn’t reveal it yet or Rough would know it was a dragon they were hunting so he gave the rock back for now. “Is this robbery the first one since the train?”

“No, they have been all over Equestria stealing many gemstones and even seemed to have grown a fanbase as their thefts are getting more and more dramatized and flamboyant but this is the first time they are going after something like an artifact.

“Maybe our thief is a fan of history. I suppose we’re going to the museum then?”

“Yep, my partner Hard Case will meet us there as well as the owner of the exhibit.” Spike nodded and got in the carriage looking out at the city as they passed tiny colorful shops that advertised food or drinks for the weary and seemed to hide in the cracks that the taller buildings neglected. He saw a small festival was being put up, some ponies were coming out of a building with popcorn and snuggling with each other as they shared the treat, and a building at the top of a lot of stairs with the statue of a pony at the top with boxing gloves. They stopped at the museum and Spike stuck his tongue out in disgust as he had stepped out into something slimy. He shook off the slime as they walked into the building and were stopped by a young yellow stallion dressed in a police uniform and a worn hat. He grumbled seeing Spike and Sandbar.

“We’re babysitting now too? What’s with the fire-breather being here, you know that there are lots of flammable artifacts in this place.”

“Relax Hard Case the kid is with me till tonight and the dragon can help us, he’s faced this thief before and we nearly had them. Mister Spike, Sandbar this is my partner Hard Case.” The officer grunted before looking back to Rough.

“Captain why bring this fire-breather here? The manager of the exhibit won’t like this.”

“Oh, it would sure be a shame to inconvenience the guy after all the work we have been putting into keeping one of his precious items safe when there are real crimes out there. Where is he anyway?”

He stepped out for a moment saying that he had- oh wait! There he is!” The group turned to see the stallion with Spike and Rough letting out a sigh as they recognized him.

“Really, this guy again?” Goldblum was the stallion and he smirked seeing Spike and Rough, taking the time to clean his monocle before he faced them.

“Well well well, looks like a reunion is in place. How goes the Hero life young dragon?”

“Aww you know, losing my arm saving a city and having to take weeks to recover, the usual.”

“Yes, and I had heard you were promoted after failing to save my gemstone on the train. Lucky you.”

“We caught a dangerous criminal and nearly caught your thief but as I have come to learn this thief has come to target you much since that day. How much have you lost since then?” The smirk vanished from the unicorn’s face as he gritted his teeth.

“Thousands maybe even millions, this thief insists on stealing my most valuable gems.”

“Why keep buying them or why not lock them away in some secret place?”

“I wouldn’t expect a dragon to understand the importance of high-class pony society but presentation is everything and I will not admit defeat to such a creature. When they are finally disposed of then every lowlife in Equestria will know to not even think about robbing Gilt Goldblum.” Spike frowned and crossed his arms but Sandbar spoke his thoughts first.

“Disposed of? The law regarding thieves is to capture not kill.” Goldblum looked down at the boy before moving closer to him, his smirk returning.

“Smart lad you got here captain, he is absolutely correct and I would never knowingly attempt to kill a creature, however, let me teach you a valuable lesson boy. With accidents such as this, accidents happen.” Rough put an arm across Sandbar and pulled the boy away from Goldblum.

“Well, the police force will ensure no such accidents happen like that.”

“Ahh, yes as expected of course but I have taken the incentive to hire some more… help for you all. You may enter!” Six ponies walked in with most covered in white hoods with the one in the lead wearing black. The pony had a dark coat with a dark red mane and bright red eyes. “Allow me to introduce Sir Grim Ryu and his colleagues.” Spike shivered a bit at the stare that Grim gave him but he gave him a hardened stare back. Rough gritted his teeth and took a step, covering Spike and Sandbar.

“I know what you are, hunter.”

“Ah, you are a smart one. Yes, we were all part of the hunting society before the princess shut it down for being inhumane or something foolish like that.”

“You slaughtered creatures of all kinds, it was you all that nearly brought us to war with the Yaks.”

“The child was already injured, all we did was end the pain.” Spike growled a bit with bits of smoke coming from his nose as the hunter returned his attention to the dragon. “You do have self-control, curious to see how the princesses tamed you.”

“I’m not their pet and I don’t see the point of hurting others for something so petty.”

“Heh, you don’t know too much about hunters do you young drake? Well as much fun as it would be to play with you, we have a job to do and we will ensure that nothing leaves this building in one piece.” They all left the room except one of the hooded figures were glaring hard at Spike before leaving with the others.

“Who are they, full story.”

“They used to be a group called The Hunters who would kill any creature if the prize was high enough, Celestia saw this as horrific but many councils insisted that the ponies had the right. That was until they… harmed one of the Yak children and nearly led to war but Celestia decimated the group and arrested most of them, even sending the ponies responsible for the harming to the Yaks for punishment. Some of these hunters like the ones before you turned to mercenary work while others ran from Equestria fully.”

“Why bring them onto a job like this?”

“Goldblum is insistent that the thief is a dragon and the hunters valued dragons as the most valuable prey. Seeing that your kind were usually sent off rather young, the hunts would overpower them or hunt them with traps and weapons designed to harm dragons specifically.”

“They intend to kill the thief…”

“Yes.”

“What do we do?” Rough glanced at Spike and smirked a bit.

“Well I thought something like this may happen, the last cop to work with Goldblum called me and said that the pony was losing it. I am required by law to catch this thief by any means necessary but I have no control over what you do. However, if caught doing anything unlawful you would be taken to jail.”

“Right, well I suppose I should be leaving you to your work then.” Spike left the building and sighed. “Okay Smolder, let’s see if I can stop you before this gets messy.” As Spike began to walk off, Sandbar walked back quietly, grabbing the bag with the stone he saw before and running after Spike...

Comments ( 22 )

wow just wow. i have to ask how is it that i just want to keep reading even though i just read the latest chapter. And i hope that the relationship between twilight and spike becomes more romantic later on in the future of the story.

9819228
I honestly have no trust in myself when it comes to romance but with how much time this story in particular has been taking I am planning on a lot of moments with the two and some are much closer than you'd think! Thanks so much for the comments and for reading! After this little adventure we'll have a CMC chapter and then something with Spike and Twilight

The reunion I have been waiting for Smolder returns to the stage.

Awesome story keep up the good work👍👍

10069478
Thanks I planned a bunch just had writer's block and family stuff

10163719
I'm working on it! I just hit a snag I'm trying to outthink.

10164035
Man writer's block is horrible isn't it?

10164073
Yeah I know exactly what I want to do with the chapter and how it should go but it's just not coming together

10164108
I've got the same problem with my story.

10164108
I have that problem with my story.

10164685
How are you trying to beat it?

10164894
I try to find inspiration from those who have gotten passed it.

This certainly has potential.

So is this story dead or what

11357024
Not quite. My ideas are all written down. Just need to buckle down and write them into chapters

I really hope this fanfiction continues because it is honestly one of the best Spike fictions I have read. Simply because it avoids the two major problems, which usually appear when spike the main character they try way too hard to make us pity Spike or they make him insanely overpowered. This store is smart enough not to do that

11519834
This was the first fiction I ever made I do wanna work on it again. This is one I can see doing a redux edition where I go back on the chapters and make it better to read, cleaning up spelling errors and making it flow better.

11519986
That would be greatly welcomed

11520002
Its on the list I will do it!

Login or register to comment