• Published 9th Apr 2019
  • 8,682 Views, 286 Comments

Firebreather - TAD2



Spike is just a normal teenager who goes to school, tries to find a girlfriend, and is the spawn of the king of dragons.

  • ...
19
 286
 8,682

Dinner And A Talk With Dad (Edit)

After ten minutes of flying across Canterlot, Spike spotted his house, he circled it as he carefully watched the ground, searching for anyone who could be looking up at him.

After circling the house for a few minutes, Spike deemed it safe and he started his descent.

When Spike landed in his backyard, he took off his backpack and grabbed his shirt from his bag and with some effort, pictured his wings retracting back into his back. Simultaneously, the leather that connected to the wings started to burn away like they were paper being burned by a magnifying glass.

After all the leather-like membrane was burnt away, the main structure of the wings slowly receded back into Spike's back until the only evidence of their existence was the dark purple tents that his skin had taken during his transformation.

Spike looked over his shoulder. 'God, I hate the side effects of changing. It always leaves this purple color on my skin, but it'll go away in a few hours, so the worst that could happen is Mom finding out and I get a lecture about not changing in public. But if I can keep it hidden from her, I can get off scot free'. Thought Spike.

Spike was snapped out of his thoughts when he heard a car door opening and then closing.

"That must be Mom and Aunt Luna, I better wait and go in through the front door, so it doesn't look weird." Said Spike as he quickly put on his shirt and waited by the gate of his backyard.

After a few minutes of waiting for his mother and aunt to leave the main foyer of the house, Spike opened the gate and walked to the front door. Once Spike reached the front door he pulled out his wallet from his back pocket and opened it, revealing a picture of him when he was only three years old, he was sitting with his whole family around a campfire in the woods during a camping trip, there was also a business card that had his uncle's information in case he loses his phone, along with a few dollars, his old student ID card from middle school and a key. Spike pulled the key out, used it to unlock the front door and walked into the house.

As Spike walked in, he placed the key back into his wallet and returned it to his back pocket. "Mom, Aunt Luna, I'm home!" Called out Spike.

"We'll be down in a few minutes Spike; we're getting changed right now." Celestia called out.

"Okay!" Spike called back before asking. "Do you have any requests for dinner tonight?"

"Let's do something simple tonight, what do we have in the fridge?" Asked Celestia.

Spike removed his backpack, placed it next to the front door and walked into the kitchen. He opened the fridge and took inventory of its contents. "We have some ground beef, some chicken breast, and a pork loin."

"Let's use the beef for hamburgers tonight." Said Celestia. "Do we still have some lettuce, tomato, and onion in there?"

Spike then found lettuce, tomato, and onion and responded. "We're good, hamburgers it is."

Spike then placed all the needed ingredients on the counter and pulled out a cutting board from one of the cabinets. He then grabbed the chef knife out of the knife block and started to cut the vegetables for dinner.

After the vegetables were cut, Spike placed them on a plate and placed it back into the fridge. He then turned his attention to the barely defrosted meat and wanting to speed up the process, placed both of his hands on the meat and concentrated. As he concentrated, his hands started to heat up. After a few minutes of using his inner heat, Spike removed his hands and examined the meat.

'Sweet it worked!' Spike thought to himself. 'Now all I have to do is wait until uncle D shows, then I can start cooking.'

Spike's attention was then drawn to the stairs as the sound of both his mother and his aunt talking was heard.

"...and then Coach Spitfire walked into my office and demanded that we allocate funds for some new gym equipment." Said Celestia to her sister. "Apparently, a dodge ball popped during a game."

"You had it easy." Luna responded. "I had to deal with the nurse complaining that she found one of the freshmen math teachers passed out on the hall floor. Apparently, he slipped on a wet spot, and once he woke up, he went on a tirade about how there wasn't a caution sign."

When Spike heard these tidbits of news, two thoughts passed through his mind. 'I probably shouldn't mention the gym incident, and I need to thank uncle D.'

Spike was snapped out of his inner thoughts by the sight of his aunt and mother walking into the kitchen. Celestia was wearing a pair of gray sweatpants and a casual pink tee shirt that had 'Like Pink, So Do I' written in white across the front. Next to her was Luna, who was dressed in a pair of dark blue flannel night pants that had crescent moons and a black tee shirt that had 'Coffee Now, Talk Later' written across the chest.

After the talk between the two died down, Spike decided to join the conversation.

"So, when is uncle D going to arrive?" Asked Spike.

"Discord should be here in a few minutes." Luna responded. "He got a call from the agency when we were leaving the school, and we didn't want to eavesdrop on the possibly top-secret conversation, so we told him that we were leaving and to head over once he finished. But I got a text from him while your mother was driving, telling us that he needed to talk to you tonight."

Spike scratched his chin. "I wonder what he needs to talk to me about?" Asked Spike.

"No clue, guess we will find out tonight." Said Celestia.

"Guess so." Said Spike with a shrug, he then looked at his mother and aunt. "I'm going to head up to my room and relax until Uncle D shows, then I'll start cooking."

Spike then walked over to his aunt and gave her a hug, then he did the same to his mother before he walked to the front door and grabbed his backpack, slung it over his shoulder and proceeded up the stairs, towards his room.

When Spike got to his room, he placed his backpack on his bed. He pulled out the permission slip for chemistry class and placed it on his desk, so he can remember to get his mother to sign it before tomorrow. He then kicked off his shoes, removed his hoodie, and proceeded to belly flop onto his bed. The moment his head hit the pillow; Spike was out like a light.


Celestia and Luna were sitting on the couch, watching the news when the sound of knocking emanated from the front door. There was only one person who would be knocking at this hour, so Celestia got up from the couch. She walked to the front door, and when she opened it, she was met with the sight of her older brother dressed in the most bizarre clothing ever made.

Discord was wearing a brown cowboy boot on his left foot, a green tennis shoe on his right, a pair of striped jeans with horizontal stripes on the left leg, and vertical on the right. A belt with chicken feathers on it, along with the weirdest shirt ever created. The shirt had a red sleeve connected to a blue tank top on one half, and the other side was a white button up shirt with yellow buttons and the sleeve of a purple tee shirt. On the top of his head sat a rainbow striped bowler hat that had an antelope horn on one side and a deer horn on the other. Celestia just gave Discord a 'I don't what to know' look and walked away from the door.

"Really Tia?" Asked Discord, shocked at his sister's lack of reaction to his appearance as he walked into the house.

She shot him a look. "D, I grew up around you, I learned to just not question your actions or attire, it saves me a lot of money on Advil." Said Celestia simply.

Discord groaned. "Aww your no fun." Said Discord pouting, but then his frown was turned upside down as he looked at his other sister. Discord cleared his throat. "What about you Lulu, how do I look?"

Luna looked away from the tv and spotted her brother. "NOPE!" Yelled Luna as she returned to watching the news as she concealed the small smile on her face. Luna always found her brothers clothing choices hilarious when they were younger, and now was no different.

Discord had an annoyed look on his face and just walked over to the couch, he flopped down on the seat, joining his sisters. He then looked at the older of the two. "So, Tia, where is my gullible little nephew?"

Celestia pointed to the stairs. "He's upstairs, asleep." Responded Celestia. "He must have had a hard day, so me and Luna agreed to get him up in an hour and then we'll have dinner. But before that, what did you need to talk to Spike about? And don't try to lie to me, you remember the terms of allowing the agency to observe Spike over the years."

Discord sighed, he knew the conditions Celestia had made with the agency in exchange for keeping an eye on Spike, but right now she was hinting at the full disclosure of any news pertaining to Spike or his father would first have to go through her. Discord nodded. "I know, as for what I need to talk to Spike about it's about Him. He contacted the agency earlier, apparently he needs to see Spike in the Dragon Lands tonight, as for what, I have no idea, I swear, scouts honor." Said Discord, doing the scouts salute.

Luna chuckled. "You were never a scout." Said Luna , making Discord glare at her.

Celestia looked at Discord's face, after growing up with him she had learned to tell when he was lying to her, but right now she saw no telltale signs of him lying. "Fine, you can tell him during dinner, and afterwards he can go with you if he wants." Said Celestia before adding. "BUT, it's his decision first and foremost, understand?" Asked Celestia glaring at him.

Discord nodded. "Loud and clear." Said Discord before changing the subject. "But enough about me, tell me how your days went."

Celestia groaned as she rubbed her temples. "Aside from getting lectured by the head coach and the nurse?" Said Celestia. "It was pretty boring, but you'll never guess who came to my office this morning."

"Who?" Asked Discord.

"Do you remember the little girl that Spike talked about, every minute of the day when he was little?" Asked Celestia.

Discord closed his eyes and concentrated as he tried to remember who Celestia was talking about, then it hit him. "Twilight Sparkle." Said Discord, finally remembering the girl's name. "She’s the one who showed up at your office? Why?"

Celestia shrugged. "She put two and two together and wanted to inquire about Spike. But low and behold the, first person she sees is Spike. But the worst part was, he didn't recognize her." Celestia replied.

Discord chuckled. "And how did that go for him?" Asked Discord.

Celestia giggled. "As well as one would think, she faked sadness, then pretended to not care and greeted us. Then after a series of questions, Spike remembered her and then he gave her a huge hug, then he ran off holding her hand." Said Celestia, making Discord double over in laughter.

After Discord stopped laughing, he looked to Celestia. "He never mentioned Twilight to me this afternoon, but he talked about a few girls he met today."

The second the word girls left Discord's mouth, both sisters looked at each other and then at Discord as a mischievous grin grew on both sister’s faces. "Tell us now!" Yelled the two sisters.

They spent the next hour or so talking about what he and Spike talked about on the roof during lunch.


Spike was awoken by the sight of both his mother and aunt staring at him with stars in their eyes. This creeped Spike out. "Ummm, what's with the look's?" Asked Spike.

"Don't worry about it, Discord is waiting downstairs." Said Luna, still with the starry look in her eyes.

Spike completely forgot about the way his mother and aunt were looked at him when they mentioned Discord. He leaped off his bed and ran down to greet his Uncle.

Spike ran downstairs and noticed his uncle sitting on the couch. But the moment Spike saw him, there was just one question on his mind. "Uncle D, what the hell are you wearing?" Well it was on his mind but came out of his mouth.

Discord just looked over his shoulder and smirked at Spike. "Well my dear boy, this is my newest set of casual clothes. Do you like it?"

Spike just continued to look at his uncle's choice of attire and then his head started to hurt. "Uhgggg, why does my head hurt?" Asked Spike.

Discord just shrugged. "I have that effect on everyone. Now, go to the bathroom, take two Advil, and call me in the morning." Said Discord.

Spike nodded, doing what his uncle instructed, Spike walked into the bathroom, took two Advil and walked back to see his mother and aunt looking at him with concern, this caused Spike to give them a deadpan look. "A little warning next time would be helpful." Said Spike.

Both women looked sheepish. "Sorry Sweetie, it slipped our minds, but Discord did inform us about your day." Said Celestia.

This made Spike's face go pale. "What did he tell you?" Asked Spike worried.

"Nothing much, just that you meet some cute girls today and you seemed interested in them." Said Celestia with a smirk.

Spike then gave a death glare to Discord. "Really, Uncle D? What about the guy code?" Asked Spike.

Discord shrugged. "I'm sorry Spike, but you try fending off both of them when they find something interesting." Said Discord.

But Spike, already having enough of his family, just walked past his mother and aunt and entered the kitchen to start dinner.

Luna looked at her sister with a concerned look. "Do you think we went too far with the teasing?"

Celestia looked at Luna and smirked. "Not even close."


As the family finished eating, it was time to drop the news about Him.

Discord cleared his throat, which caught everyone's attention. "Spike, I need to tell you something important."

Spike nodded. "Yeah, Luna told me you needed to talk to me about something, but she didn't tell me what." Said Spike.

Discord nodded. "Yeah, this was something that you needed to hear from my mouth. Your father wants to talk to you, tonight, I don't know why though." Said Discord.

The news that Spike's father wanted to see him was shocking to say the least. "He wants to see me? Tonight?" Asked Spike, taken completely off guard by this information. "But, why can't he tell me in a few months during Christmas? Or better yet, why didn't he tell me when he visited back in June?" Asked Spike.

Discord shrugged. "No clue, but this must be important, because he wants to see you in the dragon lands." Discord replied. "So, after dinner, we're going to head to the new HQ and then take a quick flight to the portal."

"God, it must be important." Said Spike. "The last time I was in the dragon lands was when I spent the summer there nine years ago to learn about controlling my powers, and it wasn't an easy experience. But for some weird reason, I do remember playing with a blue dragon named Ember, when one of Dad's generals came to talk with him, I think his name was Torch, but I never got to meet him directly."

"So, are you willing to go see him?" Asked Discord hopefully.

Spike nodded. "Sure, let me get some stuff for the flight home, because I doubt that we will be back at a reasonable time." Said Spike before he looked at his mother. "Mom there's a permission slip for chemistry class on my desk. I need you to sign it and take it to school tomorrow, I'll grab it before school starts."

"No problem Sweetie." Said Celestia. "Just be careful in the dragon lands and try not to start any trouble for your father. He has enough trouble dealing with the more unruly dragons in the dragon lands at the best of times, also tell him I love him and miss him dearly."

"Don't worry Mom, I will. I'll see you guys tomorrow." Said Spike as he hugged both his mother and aunt and headed up to his room to pack for the trip.


As Spike was packing a spare set of clothes into his backpack, downstairs, Celestia was looking at her brother with a worried look. "Make sure he stays safe, understand." Said Celestia.

"Don't worry sis, if need be, I'll protect him with my life." Discord assured. "I may not say it often, but he's like the son I never had, and I have a feeling that Spike sees me as a second father figure who he can talk to when he's back in the dragon lands."

"I know, Spike has always confided in you when he needs to talk about stuff, he doesn't want to talk about with us and we are grateful, but I worry that he is keeping secrets from all of us." Said Celestia.

"Sis, you worry too much." Said Discord. "Besides, it’s not like he has a girlfriend yet, that's when you should start worrying about him keeping secrets from you." Said Discord chuckling.

Celestia shot him a glare, but then she started to giggle as well. "Yeah, you're probably right." Celestia admitted. "Just make sure that Spike behaves and try to be home before school tomorrow. He may be the son of the principle, but that does not give him a pass to skip class."

"I know 'Mom.'" Said Discord in an annoyed tone. "But I will be late tomorrow, I need to report to the other higher ups about the meeting. So, I might have to pawn some of the work off onto Cranky Doodle."

Celestia groaned. "Fine, but you owe him." Said Celestia. "God, I have a feeling I will be giving him a raise soon." Said Celestia with realization in her tone.

"Probably." Said Discord with a shrug. "It's the price you pay for being a great agent."

Celestia sighed. "Then why is it that I'm the one who is paying the price?" Asked Celestia.

Discord just laughed.


In Spike's room, he was going over everything that he needed for the trip to the dragon lands. "Ok, I have a shirt, pants, underwear, socks, and toiletries, plus I have my notebooks for school, am I forgetting anything?" Asked Spike to himself as he looked around his room to see if there was anything that he could need for tonight. His attention fell upon a small obsidian box on his dresser, then the realization hit him like a ton of bricks.

Spike walked over to the box and stared at it in nostalgia. "The last time I had to open this was 9 years ago, when I got back from the dragon lands." Spike then flipped the front latch and opened the box to reveal a large red ruby in the shape of a heart with a green fire image in the center, seated inside a gold housing. "The Heart of the Dragon King." Said Spike. "It's been a long time since I took you out. I still remember the day dad gave it to me."


"Spike I have something for you." Spike's father said to his son. But being only one year old, Spike just babbled. This made his father laugh as he pulled out the obsidian box from his back and placed it in front of the infant. "Inside this box is the third most important thing to me aside from you and your mother." Spike's father said. "And as tradition states, upon the first year of the prince's birth, the king of dragons must pass down the symbol of his heritage. So, inside this box sits the symbol of our lineage. 'The Heart of The Dragon King.' And as of today, you are destined to become king after my passing."


"Plus, this is the only way I can get past the guards at the palace gate." Said Spike as he closed the box and placed it in his bag. "That should be everything I need." Said Spike as he zipped up his backpack before he walked back to his uncle.


Spike walked downstairs, he noticed that his uncle was on the phone talking to someone, so he walked to his mother and aunt and gave them a big hug. "I love you Mom, love you too Aunt Luna." Said Spike. "I'll call when we get back to Earth and tell you all about it, so don't worry."

"We know Spike, and we love you too." Said Celestia. "Please remember to change back the second you get back on Earth. You know the skin change lasts a few hours, and we don't want anyone to question why you have purple skin."

Spike rolled his eyes. "I know." Said Spike. "I also have everything I will need for tomorrow, so I'll be fine."

"Do you have a set of clothes?" Asked Celestia.

"Yep." Spike responded simply.

"Toiletries?"

"Yep."

"Stuff for classes tomorrow?"

"All packed."

"The Heart?"

"Last thing I packed."

Celestia let out a sigh at his preparedness. "Good. Your uncle is getting the plane ready as we speak, then you will be leaving."

"...Ok, yes sir, Spike will enter the portal at 2230 hours, and if all goes according to plan, we will return at 0300 hours and he will rest until I drive him to the secondary location at 0745 hours. Then I will continue my observation as planned… Yes sir... Yes sir... No sir... Understood... My report will be on your desk the following day... Thank you sir." Said Discord as he hung up the phone and looked at Spike. "That was The Pentagon, they wanted me to give them the plan for tonight. The plane is being set up for our flight at the agency, we got permission to use the fully customized Gulfstream mark VII for our transport. It'll have two queen size beds for the two of us for the return flight and a full shower that Spike can use before school starts."

Spike smiled. One of the better perks of being him was he never flew in economy, because he was technically a fire hazard. "Sweet, at least I don't have to sleep in your car on the way back." Said Spike, looking relieved. "So, how are we getting to the new HQ in Ponyville?" Asked Spike.

Discord just smirked at Spike's question. "Follow me outside." Said Discord as he opened the sliding doors to the back yard and walked to the fence.

"Uncle D, what are you doing?" Asked Spike.

"This." Said Discord as he placed his hand on a simple wooden plank, causing a red light to begin scanning his palm. "Let me explain. When the agency found this house and acquired it for you, your mother, and your aunt, the higher ups added a few additions."

"Like what?" Asked all three non-agents.

"Like for instance, a hidden fire suppression system in the ceilings, a fully stocked arsenal that is coded for Tia's and Lulu's palm prints, and an experimental escape vehicle in the hidden sub-basement that is programmed to defend the occupants until they arrive at the closets agency outpost, and to top it all off they, added a M.P.A.T.S station underneath the city sewer system." Said Discord.

"AN ARSENAL!?! AWW HELL NO! I NEVER AGREED TO THAT!!! WHY THE HELL DID THE AGENCY ADD THAT?!?" Celestia yelled out of anger.

"First, calm down." Said Discord with a deadpan look. "They added it just in case there is a coup and dragons trying to target the only heir to the throne to assume power."

This scenario quickly quelled Celestia's anger. Then there was a small ding emanating from the not so simple plank of wood.

"Good, it's here." Said Discord.

"Ummmm, what's here?" Asked Luna.

"You'll see." Said Discord as the small patch of grass the family was standing on started to lower them underground. "Right now, we are being lowered over one hundred feet below ground level to the M.P.A.T.S station the agency added to allow for rapid transport between Spike and the HQ in case of emergencies."

"Discord, we will be having a discussion about what else the agency has added without us knowing." Said Celestia, glaring at her brother.

"Yes ma'am." Said Discord, starting to sweat bullets at the glare his sister is giving him.

Once the platform stopped, the family was met with the sight of a large metal pod with four seats sitting on a single metal rail surrounded by what looked like a subway station.

"This is the Magnetically Propelled Agent Transport System, or M.P.A.T.S for short." Said Discord. "It was designed for rapid transport of agents to specified locations like HQ. And here's the real kicker, we can travel to the new HQ in Ponyville two hundred miles away in under ten minutes with this."

This information shocked everyone else as Said Luna. "That's not possible, that would mean this 'thing'..."

"M.P.A.T.S" Discord interrupted.

"...This M.P.A.T.S can travel at over the speed of sound!" Said Luna in shock.

"Actually, it can reach Mach three but that's for long distance transport." Said Discord like it was nothing new. "Hop aboard Spike, we have a meeting to get to." Motioning Spike to take a seat in one of the seats in the pod.

Spike followed his uncle and took a seat in the pod and strapped himself to the seat. After he was ready to leave, Spike waved to his mother and aunt as the pod's sliding door closed and sped off heading to the new D.D.C HQ.

After the pod left Luna looked to her sister and asked a question.

"Hey Tia, how do we get back up?" Asked Luna.

"Aw shit." Said Celestia before letting out an annoyed sigh. "Start looking for a hand scanner."

Author's Note:

Sorry for the long wait I was in Louisiana for the last 3 weeks and went through the hurricane so I had to evacuate so I could not write.