• Published 9th Apr 2019
  • 8,680 Views, 286 Comments

Firebreather - TAD2



Spike is just a normal teenager who goes to school, tries to find a girlfriend, and is the spawn of the king of dragons.

  • ...
19
 286
 8,680

Tests Pt2

Once they were done eating, Spike took Ember back into the testing chamber, Sonata went back to her training with Adagio, and Aria was struggling, so Jewel took her back to where they first fought to help her understand her ability.

Spike was sitting cross-legged as he tried to concentrate. Ember, on the other hand, was having trouble sitting like Spike. "Come on, ow, what if I, no, how about this?" She said.

Spike sighed as he looked at his training partner. "Ember, the point is to find your inner fire, not to sit like me.” He said. “Take a position that you feel comfortable in." Ember blushed, as she took a seat with her knees up, she took deep breaths to calm her heart and find her fire. "Once you find it, the power it grants is limitless. This is where all dragon abilities are found, harnessed, and refined. For Sirens, the color of their flame guides them, for Earth Dragons, it’s the size, but for us, it's the intensity. A dragon with no control of their fire will never learn to use the abilities, but a dragon who can be as strong as the Dragon King." Said Spike. "Search deep down in yourself. Ignore what you think is your inner fire. The one we breathe and the one that inside has different properties." The room became hot as in front of Spike floated a green flame with purple tips. Spike smiled at the flame. He looked at Ember. "Ember, concentrate. Use your emotions to bring your flame out fully." Ember had produced a flame, but it was small and flickering. "Think about what makes you happy, sad, angry, groan, cry, everything that makes up who Ember Torch is."

Ember hummed as she took Spike's words to heart. 'What makes up me?' She thought. 'Wow, that's a loaded question to ask yourself. I really don't know. I love my friends, I love Spike, I've trained hard to be here.' Spike sighed. "Ember, focus, you're not letting it all come to the surface." Ember's flame was shrinking and sputtering. "What makes you Ember?" Asked Spike. Ember sighed. 'I don't know.’ She thought. ‘From the day I was hatched, I was trained. When I was told I was getting engaged, I got upset, but then the day you held me, I wanted to be there for you. I hate that you can't see how I really feel, I hate myself for not being able to tell you, I hate that I have to share with you. I was there, I need you to need me, I love you. But no, you're a boulder head that has a heart of gold, willing to give it to anyone that needs some help, but why can't you see that I'm the one who needs it?'

Spike sighed as he took Ember's hand. "I'm sorry, you're right I haven't really been taking into account your feelings Ember, but I don't want you to think I don't care for you. I just know that I will always have you with me." Spike saw her flame, and he could tell that she thought the one she loved, didn't love her back. "Ember, from the day we met, even when you were behind that mask you put on, I knew how confused you were, that's why I never said anything to my father. I wanted to help you, that, and I thought you were cute. But Ember I do love you, and I’m glad to know that even after I was an idiot for not telling you that, you still do." Said Spike as he kissed her cheek.

Ember's eyes shot wide open. Sitting in front of her was a ball of blue fire. "Was that real?" She asked.

Spike smiled. "Yes, I do love you Ember." He said as he kissed her on the lips this time. Ember's eyes went even wider. 'Holy Bahamut, he's kissing me!' She thought. 'It's so warm, but weird as well.'

Spike pulled back from the kiss. "Sorry, you're still in human form and we don't have lips, just small scales there."

Ember blushed. "How did you know what I was thinking?"

Spike pointed to her flame. "You told me, or at least your fire did. Inner fire, emotional fire, feeling the fire, magic fire, whatever you call it, shows how a dragon feels and if read by someone who can understand it, it can show the owner's thoughts. My uncle Firemind taught me a few years back."

Ember blushed. "Spike, look I'm- No I'm sorry, I haven't been seeing this from your perspective, and it wasn’t right of me to do that." Started Ember, before she was interrupted by Spike as he took Ember's hand.

Ember looked at Spike. "You're an idiot, but I love you for it." She said as she started to cry, but she kissed Spike, she didn't care about his lack of lips or anything else. She had been bottling up these emotions for years, and now she could finally express them.

Spike smiled as the two separated. "Still cute."

Ember smirked. "Watch it buster. I'm not cute, I'm hot, and I can kick your tail across the room."

Spike smiled. "Fine, but just know, no matter what, to me, you're cute." He said as he wrapped his tail around Ember's waist. Ember smiled at finally letting her thoughts out.

Outside of the room, Jewel was smiling at the two of them. "Oh, Torch is going to be happy to see that Ember opened up."

Spike and Ember smiled one last time before it was time for them to start training to use their inner fire. Spike sighed as he looked at Ember's fire. "Ok, bad news, you don't have such a good grip with it just yet, but that's more of a bringing-it-out issue, not a making-it issue. You'll get better the more you use it. The good news, we can start with some basic magic."

Ember beamed. "Like what?" She asked with stars in her eyes.

Spike chuckled. "Love the enthusiasm, but it's nothing too great. Wilhelm, are you in the system?"

"Yes sir, what can I do for you?" Asked Wilhelm.

"Bring in a pistol with a full clip of diamond rounds." Said Spike.

Soon a small lift with the gun and clip popped out of the floor near Spike. "Thank you, also have Red Heart on standby."

"Yes sir." Said Wilhelm.

Spike looked at Ember. "You're going to shoot me." He said.

Ember looked at Spike. "Oh, first off, hell no, second, why would I do that, third, I can't even hold a gun."

Spike hummed. "Right, and I can't cast it if I shoot the gun. Wilhelm, has your body returned?"

"Yes sir, I'm coming in now." Soon the door opened and in walked Wilhelm. "What can I do for you, sir?"

Spike handed Wilhelm the gun. "Shoot me when I tell you to, Bypass code Spike 0001."

Wilhelm nodded. "Very good sir. Awaiting signal." He said as he loaded the gun and readied himself.

Spike looked at Ember. "Ember, Diamond Scales is a basic spell. You wrap your fire around your body and trust it to protect you." He then stepped into his flame as it surrounded him. "Wilhelm, start with 2 rounds."

"Acknowledged." Said Wilhelm as he shot 2 rounds into Spike's chest. Normally this would have killed him, but thanks to the spell he was fine.

"Diamond Scales has a limit though. The longer you use it, or the more damage it takes, the weaker the flame becomes, meaning that if you use it for too long it will not stop anything. Wilhelm, empty clip." Wilhelm shot Spike 10 more times, and nothing hit him, but his flame looked like it was dying out.

Ember looked at Spike with worry. "Spike?"

Spike smiled. "Don't worry, he's out, and I'm at my limit. But my dad could triple that without a second thought. Wilhelm, bring in a clip of normal rounds." A lift with a clip of normal bullets appeared from the floor. "Ember, it's your turn. You'll be fine regardless, but I want you to feel the difference."

Ember nodded and stood in front of Wilhelm. "Ok, shoot me."

"Very well." Said Wilhelm as he shot Ember's chest.

Ember nodded. "Ok, I barely felt anything?"

Spike nodded. "Good, now walk into your flame and picture more scales on your body."

Ember nodded and watched as her flame spread across her form. "Wow."

Spike smiled. "Wilhelm, unload on her."

Wilhelm emptied his clip right at Ember. "Task complete."

Spike smiled. "Thanks, bud, I think we're done for now. How is the spa doing with the lava pool?"

"80% filled."

Spike smiled. "Sweet, thanks for your help."

Wilhelm bowed. "No problem, sir." He said as he walked out of the room.

Spike looked at Ember. "So, notice a difference?"

Ember nodded. "Yeah, it felt like he didn't even hit me. This is so cool."

Spike smiled. "Ok, to drop it, just picture your flame in front of you." He said as he demonstrated. Spike's flame left his body and formed in front of him, but it looked like Ember's now. Ember pictured her flame in front of her and it looked like it did when she brought it out.

Ember smiled at Spike and hugged him. "Thank you, Spike." Spike smiled as he returned the hug.

Sombra chimed in. "Ok, can we cut the stupid teenage romance bull, I still have three tests to do, and last time Spike ran late for the lava pool, we had to chisel him out. Ember, head out and go see Red Heart for a medical exam. The Sirens are done, and Spike will be there soon."

Ember sighed but walked out of the room. Spike looked at Sombra. "Really, bull?"

"I have a kid. When you get to my stage in life, you’ll see that what you guys have is nothing compared to what is to come. But here's a 3-foot thick steel cable." As Sombra said this, a hunk of cable popped out.

Spike sighed.


Outside of the room, Ember was following Doctor Red Heart to the examination room. "So, how was the kiss?" Asked Red Heart. Ember blushed but smiled. "He's a good boy, Ember, and I've watched him grow up into that fine young man that he is, so I'm only going to tell you this once. Hurt him and I'll kill you. Now, please remove your clothes and step onto the scale." Said Red Heart as they walked into a large examination room, and Red Heart closed the door.


20 minutes later, Spike was done with the tests and was heading to Red Heart's office for his exam. He walked into the office and was about to greet the doctor when he ran into Ember putting her clothes back on. Neither of them said a word, Spike just stepped back and closed the door, with a massive blush on his face. 'I'm dead, but they were cute.' He thought.

On the other side of the door, Ember was blushing and covering her chest. 'He saw them, what do I do, what does he think about them?' She thought.

Jewel was sitting in the corner; she saw the whole thing. "Sweetie, he's a male, he likes them." She said. Ember blushed even more.


So, after a weird few moments of silence, Ember walked out of the room with Jewel behind her. Ember looked at Spike. "Spike, did you like them?" She asked. They were to be mates, so of course, he would see them sooner or later.

Spike blushed. "Oh, I should probably go in now, I'll see you guys in the spa." He said as he quickly got into the office.

Jewel smiled. "See, I told you." She said as she placed her hand on Ember's shoulder.

Ember nodded. "So, how do you know so much about males?"

Jewel sighed. "Ember, you try seeing males when you have Bahamut, Torch, Firemind, Sinacore, and Lavascale making sure they don't hurt you. It's hard to find a male, so you learn to work with them."

Ember was confused. "But..."

Jewel shook her head. "Trust me, dear, just be lucky you have Spike."

Ember nodded. "Ok. So, what's a spa?"

Jewel smiled. "Oh, you'll love it."


Spike walked out of the office, rubbing his arm. "Fricken diamond tip needles."

Red Heart sighed. "Oh, stop your whining, you're 16, and the diamond needles are the only thing strong enough to punch through your skin." She handed Spike a copy of her report. "Give this to Moondancer on your way to the spa and have a good day Spike."

Spike grabbed the report and nodded. "Thanks for everything Doc, I'll see you at school."

Red Heart rubbed her head. "Please don't, unless you're injured."

Spike laughed. "Fine, have a good one." He said as he walked away from the medical wing of the science department and into the main area of the complex. Sitting at her desk was Moondancer. She was reading a report, but she put it down when she noticed Spike walking over to her. Spike smiled at the agent. "Hey Moondancer, I'm all done. Doc wanted me to drop this off with you."

Moondancer smiled at Spike as she took the file. "Thank you, Spike. Jewel is in the spa with the others, it's in the same location here as it was in the last HQ, just take the elevator down to G6 and turn left." Moondancer smiled as she got up from her seat and walked next to Spike. She got to her tippy toes and kissed Spike's cheek. "Have a nice time in the spa."

Spike blushed, grateful that he had outgrown setting things on fire because of her, but he wasn't sure how outgrown, he had grown, especially when Moondancer giggled as she felt the area around Spike become hot. "Thanks, Spike, I love you too." Said Moondancer as she pushed the big bag of scales into the elevator and pressed the button for G6. She stepped back as the door closed.


When Spike got to the Spa, he was escorted by a few agents into the changing room, which was 100 feet tall with a few human-sized lockers and two exits, one much bigger than the other. The large one was for access to the Lava pool, the other was for humans. Spike had been in both, but he was already changed, so he might as well head for the strong molten rock one. He removed all his clothes and started to grow into his full-size form. Spike walked to the large door and walked into the lava room, massive obsidian lined 200 feet by 200 feet by 100 feet deep tungsten pool with size increments for smaller dragons to use. Spike slid into the searing lava and felt all his scales melt away as he relaxed. Earth Dragons could live in this stuff, Wing dragons loved to use magma to relax, and Sirens could handle it, but not for long, though no matter what kind of dragon, lava was like water only better and harder to drown in.

Spike took a deep breath and submerged himself in the orange glowing liquid just to feel it burn away all his troubles. He then popped up from the pool and rested on its edge. "So, how's the lava?" Asked Jewel in her dragon form, her golden Scales glowing thanks to the glow of the lava.

Spike rolled his neck. "Hot, thick, great."

Jewel smiled as she joined Spike in the pool. "Great lord, this is the best." She said as she relaxed. She looked at Spike. "Spike, you look so handsome, just like a younger Bamut. No wonder all the girls are flocking to you."

Spike sighed. "So, where are Ember and the others?"

Jewel giggled. "Poor dears didn't want to jump in with you here. I told them that you were polite, but they refused, so it's just us."

Spike sighed. "Really, I feel bad. They worked hard, they deserve to relax."

Jewel nodded. "They worked hard today, but some nesses aren't as cool with having a drake in the spa as me."

Spike groaned. "So, how is everyone back in the lands?"

Jewel sighed. "Your father is still your father, He called me just so he didn't have to work last week, and that's when he told me about your visit. Lavascale is trying to get the attention of a cute siren from Clan Cloak named Prism. Sinacore and Magma are expecting their first clutch, and that's going to be big news in a few months. Firemind is now the clan leader, Solar passed on last month, and as for me, I'm still single."

Spike sighed. "Really? But it's you."

Jewel smiled. "Aw thanks, Spike, but blame your father and those boulder heads. I'm pretty sure that I have a do not touch sign on my back, because of them."

Spike laughed. "Have you ever told them to leave you alone?"

"Too many times to count, but I don't think they care. So, Spike, have you and Ember mated?"

Spike blushed. "Wow, no subtlety in that question, was there?"

Jewel smirked. "Nope, and don't worry, I already know, and that's good, I want you both to take your time, that’s how a long relationship is built."

Spike smiled. "Aunt Jewel, what's going to happen when I take the throne?"

Jewel sighed. "Spike, I don't know. With so many in your horde being humans, they couldn't survive in the dragon lands, and it's hard to rule from across the portal, and as you can see, your father has a hard time visiting every few months as is."

"Not helping here, Aunt Jewel." Said Spike as he was looking for advice.

"I know Sweetie, but look on the bright side, that's a long way away from happening."

Suddenly there was a knock on the large door. "Spike, can we join you?" Asked Ember.

Spike looked at Jewel who shrugged. "Sure, there's a large button near the door, press it and the door will unlock." Soon there was a loud clunk. As the door unlocked, it opened with Ember and the Dazzlings walking into the room, all of them in their dragon forms. Spike looked at the group of girls and gulped at seeing them all. "So, did you girls like the Spa?" He asked

Sonata nodded. "It was great, but I thought a Shiatsu was a little dog?"

Spike chuckled. "That's a Shih Tzu, but please hop in. The magma is only going to be warm for another 40 minutes or so before it starts to harden."

Sonata smiled as she waded in and started feeling her muscles relax. "Oh, this feels amazing. Ari, Dagi, Ember, it's great."

Ember and the others sighed as they all stepped into the pool, and moments later they were just solid bags of scales. "Oh, this is great." Said the group.

Spike smiled at hearing this. "Well, I'm glad you girls like it."

Jewel smirked as she wanted to give Spike a little help. She pushed Spike closer to Ember and the girls. "Well, I need to get going, I just came to check up on you all." Said Jewel as she got out of the pool, a few drops of magma refusing to fall off her scales. She walked over to the door and smiled. "Have fun." She said as she ran out of the room.

Spike and all the girls blushed as they watched Jewel leave. Spike looked at the girls. "Um..." Said Spike as he gulped again. He was in a warm pool of lava with 4 beautiful females, one of which was engaged to him, while the other three were into him.

All the girls looked at Spike. "So..." Said the 4 of them.

Spike sighed. "Girls, about what Aunt Jewel said... She's always had that kind of humor."

Ember nodded. "I know. During my training, she would tell me about how cute you looked like a human...." Ember blushed as she clamped her hands over her snout.

Spike sighed. "Ember, please don't feel embarrassed. My Uncle Core told me that in a hoard, there shouldn't be any secrets, and surprisingly, sometimes what Aunt Jewel says does help: she told me that a relationship is built, and strengthened with the truth."

Sonata investigated the pool and played with her claws. "So, would it be ok if I told you guys something?"

Spike smiled. "Sonata, please, speak your mind freely."

Sonata smiled. "I love you." She said as she got close to Spike and kissed him on the snout.

Spike looked at Sonata as she pulled back. "Sonata, I love you too, you're always so cheerful, happy, and you can't help but see the good in any situation, and if you would have me, I would love to have you in my hoard."

Sonata gasped as she kissed Spike again. She pulled back and smiled even more. "Spike, I accept and honor to be with you till the day we no longer can."

Spike was confused. "You could have just said yes, you know?"

Ember sighed. "Spike, you probably didn't know this but that's how a hoard mate is supposed to accept the invitation to join a hoard."

Spike looked at Sonata. "Am I supposed to say anything? I'm kind of new to this whole dragon courtship thing."

Sonata smiled. "Just say the last part, as I did."

Spike nodded. "Sonata, I happily welcome you, and honor to be with you till the day we no longer can."

Sonata smiled. "My mother told me that when you love a drake, you tell them a personal secret that they will never tell another." She leaned down to Spike's ear fin before telling her secret and pulling back.

Spike looked at Sonata. "I promise not to tell anyone." Sonata smiled as she kissed Spike one last time.

Aria sighed as she took Sonata's spot. "Spike, can I join your hoard?"

Spike smiled. "Aria, I would be happy to have you with me, you're strong, dependable, and always ready to help when the need arises."

"Then, I accept and honor to be with you till the day we no longer can." Said Aria as she kissed Spike.

Spike smiled as he kissed her back, before pulling back. " Aria, I happily welcome you, and honor to be with you till the day we no longer can."

Aria leaned closer to Spike and whispered her secret to him. She kissed Spike one more time and let the last of the trio take the spot. "Spike, I would like to be in your hoard."

Spike smiled. " Adagio, I would love for you to join as well, you are smart, witty, and you care for your sisters as I care for all of you."

Adagio smiled. "Then, I accept and honor to be with you till the day we no longer can." She said as she kissed Spike on his snout.

Spike smiled. "Adagio, I happily welcome you, I accept and honor to be with you till the day we no longer can." Adagio leaned down and told Spike the last secret, before kissing him again.

Spike looked at his small hoard and smiled. He looked at Ember. "What about you Ember?"

Ember shrugged. "I don't need to, I'm your mate. That is for those who wish to join a hoard."

Spike nodded. "Cool, but I was talking about a kiss?"

Ember blushed as she slowly got close to Spike. "Well, I got nothing better to do." Spike smiled at hearing this and kissed her.

Spike smiled. "So, what happens now?" He asked, not sure if there was something else that he needed to do.

Ember blushed. There was still one last thing they needed to do to make it official, but that could wait until later. "There is, but it's personal, and..." Ember leaned over and whispered. "Umm... We need to mate to make it official."

Spike looked at Ember. "As in..." Ember nodded. "Yeah, I think that will need to wait." Said Spike as he blushed at what Ember told him. All the girls blushed, they knew how to make hoards official, and as much as they loved Spike, they wanted to wait.


Spike was so happy with his girls that he forgot about how long they were in the lava pool until it was very hard to move. He looked down at where he was sitting and noticed that most of the pool was cooled and hardened. "Crap."

Everyone looked at the magma and realized they were all trapped now. "Crap." Said the girls. They looked to Spike. "Spike, what do we do now?" Asked Ember. Normally they could just dig out, but with their heads the only thing free, that wasn't an option.

Spike sighed. "Wilhelm?"

"You called sir?" Asked Wilhelm from the system.

Spike sighed. "I'm stuck in the pool."

Wilhelm sighed. "Sending a team to you now."

Spike smiled. "Thank you."

Spike looked at his hoard. "This is going to take a while."

All the girls tried to shrug. "Well, it could be worse." Said Ember.

Author's Note:

So Spike has 4 girls in his hoard, what could go wrong next?