• Published 31st Mar 2019
  • 2,296 Views, 183 Comments

Journals of the Royal Alchemist - Ashfur



A collection of adventures and research from the royal alchemist, Arcane Catalyst

  • ...
1
 183
 2,296

Entry 7: Forever Family

September 29, 35 ANM

How the BUCK am I sixty years old?!

Seriously. It feels like just last year I was celebrating my 30th birthday. I mean, I was, since Celestia issued a royal decree that says I can legally call myself 30 years old from now until the stars die out, but that's besides the point! HOW DID I GET TO BE SIXTY?

Two entire generations of ponies have been born, grown up, and settled down while I've been doing nothing with my life! All I've done is revolutionize medicine and alchemy and saved countless lives in the process. Most ponies barely make it past 40 in this day and age, and I didn't even earn my cutie mark until I was 30! 30 for the first time, not last year. That was my 29th 30th birthday.

I hope I get another cauldron this year. My old one broke last week when I tried using it to sled down the steps in the grand hall. Cast iron beats marble stairs, who knew?

Anyway… I need to go for a walk. Alone.


The field was quiet when Arca approached, the dark of night making it eerily beautiful. Ponhenge hadn't changed much in the 44 years he'd been visiting it for. Six stone obelisks. But to Arcane Catalyst, only one of them was his reason for visiting.

There was a faint, faint trace of Mage Meadowbrook's magical signature on the obelisk. Even Celestia would have missed it, because she didn't have the knowledge of abyssal magic to scan for it. But it was cold, unfeeling, lost. Arcane sighed, placing a hoof against the stone. It would be so, so easy to tear the Pillars back out of limbo so he could see his mother again, but with no counter for the Pony of Shadows his friend Stygian had become, there was no reason to break the veil to retrieve them. He could wait. He had all the time in the world.

"One day," he whispered. "One day I'll save you, and you'll say you're proud of me. That I did good. I miss you so much, mom. But I have to be an adult, and that means being patient until I'm ready. Promise me you'll keep waiting?"

No response.

"While I must confess I have never known the burden of motherhood, I have no doubt that Meadowbrook would gladly wait for ten thousand years or more for you." Arca's ears perked up at the new voice, but he recognized it immediately, and allowed his guard to drop once more. Turning around, he saw Princess Celestia laying next to a nearby tree on a small bed of leaves she'd plucked from the nearby bushes. A modest cake was in front of her, a single lit candle illuminating the gloom. "Happy birthday, Arcane."

"Princess-boss…" Arca's eyes felt moist. "You followed me here?" He slowly walked over to her, laying down next to her so they could both look at the ruins.

"Arca. I may get a bit… snippy, at times thanks to your antics, but do not let your mind doubt that you are anything less than family. To both me, and Luna. See?" Celestia pointed up at the moon, still low in the night sky and just above Meadow's pillar. "She's waiting for you too. The whole family is here, and we're not leaving you."

"It will take a while, Celestia. To make another Philosopher's Stone that will work."

'We have plenty of time. Even if it's not you who frees them, I promise you, Arca, that one day, you and Meadowbrook will be able to hold each other in a tight hug again. And I will once more be able to look up and see the true beauty of the night sky… Luna did always make it better than me."

Acra snuggled up close to Celestia, finally taking a slice of cake for himself. "You promise?"

"I promise. All we have to do… is wait."

The night was quiet as the two shared in the confection. It was another few minutes before Arca let his last thought for the night known.

"Waiting is nice and all, but I'd rather not wait on this blanket of poison oak leaves."

Celestia tilted her head. "Poison what now?"

"Discovered it last month."

"What does it do?"

"Make you regret using them as a bed, for starters. Thank goodness I have a lab coat to keep me safe."

Author's Note:

For those who are curious, here's the timeline.

-May 10, 17 BNM - Arca attempts to get as far away from the Hayseed Swamp village as possible before turning into a tree, and meets Meadowbrook, who saves his life.  Likely due to the extent of his sickness, he remembers nothing of his past beyond a few basic details.
-August 18, 14 BNM - The Pillars of Equestria banish the Dazzlings.
-September 9, 9 BNM - Meadowbrook and the other pillars seal themselves in limbo to trap the pony of shadows.
-November 19, 9 BNM - Celestia visits Hayseed Swamp and recruits Arca as her royal alchemist/protogé.  Canterlot begins construction.
-June 21, 1 ANM - Luna is banished
-December 1, 1 ANM - Celestia gives Arca the green light on his Philosopher's Stone project
-September 29, 5 ANM - Arca uses his 30th birthday party as an excuse to get Celestia out of work so they can attempt to create a Philosopher's Stone
-September 29, 5 ANM, 8:36 P.M. - Arca steps into history by succeeding (kinda), and accidentally makes himself immortal in the process, locking his body's age at 30.
-September 29, 5 ANM, 8:37 P.M. - Celestia orders her builders to reinforce everything near Arca's lab.

It's worth noting that this did require me to go back and retcon a few dates in Potion Shop chapter 16, "How I met your Princess", but they shouldn't be noticable and now we have an order of events.