• Published 12th Apr 2019
  • 653 Views, 39 Comments

Amorphous: The Tale of Arcadês the Immortal - Quillian Inkheart



When Twilight stumbles on an ancient tome telling them the last known location of the legendary pony alchemist Arcadês, Twilight and her friends simply must go and learn her secrets. What they gain though, is far more than any of them ever dreamed.

  • ...
2
 39
 653

Tale 2: Death and Life

The pegasus mare laughed as she destroyed Arcadês' couch, then re-built it by stomping on it in reverse. Arcadês felt sweat forming on her brow as she watched. This wasn't chaos. This was madness.

"Have you tried water?" She asked, hurrying to grab new ingredients. She didn't know what this was, but it wasn't Discord's usual work. "Of course you did," she answered herself before the unicorn even spoke. "What was she doing before you left? Tell me everything."

The unicorn began explaining things that baffled Arcadês. Commonly, a pony afflicted with Advanced Discordance will act perpendicular to their normal personality. But this, this was nothing like the opposite of the pony Arcadês had cured before, but somepony entirely new. She'd burned down a part of the inn they were staying at with fire breath. She'd sung choir from the rooftop, while families hurried to evacuate their valuables. She'd laughed at her husband's burns as he pulled her from the wreckage.

The local inn was gone. The unicorn's mane was damaged and his coat was peppered with burns, but despite all this, his only concern was for his wife. "You have to save her, Arcadês! Please!"

Arcadês would've normally rolled her eyes – now he remembers her name – but fear was settling into her chest. The Discording curse had strange means of spreading from pony to pony and not everypony was susceptible to the ailment. If this was a new kind of curse – perhaps a twisted version of the original – then Arcadês might not be able to...

She shook her head before she completed her thought. She was Arcadês, the greatest earth-pony alchemist in all of Equestria – or, at least, what remained of it. She took in a breath, steadied herself, and turned to face her patient.

The mare's muzzle had elongated in the seconds Arcadês had turned her attention away and contained a fresh row of sharp teeth. She breathed out a gout of fire that Arcadês barely dodged, hitting the wall. Arcadês quickly grabbed a bucket and splashed some water on it before it could spread. What was happening to this mare? "Hold her down," she said clearly, but the unicorn was frozen in fear. "Do you want to save her or not!? Hold. Her. Down!"

That was enough to get the unicorn out of his own mind. He rushed to his wife's side and pinned her with magic. As he did, his magical aura – a faint sky blue – began to shift in color to a sickly-looking purple. Arcadês shouted for him to stop, but he was already trapped. He flailed and struggled as if frozen in place, obviously trying to break free from whatever held his muscles rigid, but the curse spread to him like wildfire. He screamed as his body changed before Arcadês' eyes, his teal coat giving way to the same rashes as his wife, only these were more of a greyish-arctic blue color. His horn blackened and his mane ignited, searing the roof above him. His muzzle elongated with a series of snaps, a noise the wife certainly hadn't made. He threw his head back and roared, blasting a small pillar of fire into the roof of Arcadês' small hut.

Grabbing anything on hoof, Arcadês made a break for the door. She scooped up a hoof-full of the Discordance cure into a vial as well, just in case she could test it on one of these two. She froze, turning to look at the two ponies. If she left now, they could hurt themselves, or each-other.

The mare turned to meet her gaze, hissing at her, and Arcadês felt her blood run cold. They weren't ponies anymore; they were something... new; something vicious and destructive. The wife's wings – which had become featherless and reptilian in the time since Arcadês last looked – spread wide and boosted her off the ground. She snarled before taking flight through the fresh hole in Arcadês' roof, her blazing mane soon the only thing the alchemist could see in the dwindling night.

She looked back to the unicorn, who seemed to be locked in a fit of pain. She watched as his blackened horn crumbled, disintegrating right off his head. Knowing this was her one and only chance, Arcadês sprinted at the stallion and tackled him to the ground, pinning him as best she could with her legs and one hoof. "Stop! You need to stop!" She tried to force the vial into his mouth, but the stallion bucked against her. He was strong, stronger than he'd been before, certainly. If she didn't have the inherent strength of all earth ponies, she would've been thrown off effortlessly. "Think of your daughters! Do it for them!"

For a moment, the stallion's eyes seemed to clear. He paused, eyes wide, mouth slightly agape as if he was about to breathe fire on her. Arcadês took her chance and shoved the vial into the stallion's open mouth. "Please work. Please, Gods old and new, bring him back."

He guzzled down the poultice and Arcadês pinned him properly, staring into those too-clear eyes. A second turned into a minute. The potion didn't normally take this long. Arcadês continued to pray, but she saw the fear and hopelessness drain into the stallion's eyes. He knew it wasn't working. She just hadn't accepted it yet.

All at once, any semblance of the previous pony fled the stallion's eyes. He shifted his body and pushed Arcadês off himself just enough to squeeze a leg underneath her. With a hearty push, he threw the earth pony off him, sending her crashing through the door to her hut. As she recovered herself, Arcadês watched as a pair of reptilian wings, ones similar to the ones on the other creature, burst from this creature's back. The rashes had spread and Arcadês finally realized they were scales, replacing the pony's skin and making his coat fall out.

The stallion gave a loud, vicious roar before taking off into the night sky after his wife. Arcadês collapsed to the ground, watching the two vanish into the night sky as her life burned in front of her. Arcadês had lost ponies before, but always when it was their time. She'd never had anything quite like this happen to her. She felt tears swell in her eyes, her body shaking with grief. She screamed her sorrow into the night, but no one heard her and nopony came.


The Everfree Forest was, as always, a calming place for Arcadês. She wandered the forest in a daze, her coat and cloak covered in the soot of her old hut. She'd dug through the remains and recovered all that she could, but most of her herbs had gone up in the blaze. She had managed to recover several doses of the anti-Discordance poultice from her cauldron and had been collecting more Shackles – as well as any other useful herb she could see – as she walked, but she wasn't sure how much good it would do her; if the Discordance had changed so drastically, what good would any of it do?

She dragged her hooves as she walked, eyes downcast. It was no mystery that this forest was dangerous. Aside from the oddity of it caring for itself, it was filled with creatures of Discord's creation; animals merged together to suit his sick sense of humor. They thrived in these woods, breeding and feasting, ensuring that they would be a danger for generations to come.

And what she had just seen was just another example of Discord's handiwork. It would take her many years to learn that those two ponies had been irrevocably transformed into the first two dragons to ever exist on the face of Equus. If she'd known then what she knew now, she might have laughed at the irony of it all; Discord's creations would outlive him.

She had no real destination. She had no idea where she was going. She was just letting her hooves take her wherever they seemed to please. Once or twice, she had to change course to keep from walking into or falling off a cliff, but for the most part, it was all forward progress. One step after another.

She eventually found herself on a high cliff, looking down at the ground below. The thought of jumping never occurred to her; Arcadês knew that, despite her failure, other ponies would need her alive. So few could recreate her cure and so many were afflicted. She started to turn, but a strange flash caught her eye.

Looking back, Arcadês squinted her eyes at the cave across the massive ravine. There was definitely a glint down there, a sparkle of light amid all the darkness. In fact...

Arcadês looked up to the night sky. There was no light, nothing to cause the sparkle she was seeing inside that cave. And yet, when she looked back, she saw it again. Her hooves began to guide her, walking along the cliff face, eyes locked on the cave. She looked away just long enough to try and find a way down; when one didn't present itself, she would snap her eyes back to the cave and repeat the process.

Eventually, patience and perseverance payed off; Arcadês stood before the massive entrance to the cave, her eyes wide with wonder. The inside was lined with purple-ish crystal – not too uncommon in Equestria; a land where crystals were abundant and oftentimes even bothersome. But that wasn't what had Arcadês so enraptured.

There, at the far back of the cave, was a small tree. Not a normal tree, but one of crystal, shining and twinkling like the night sky. She tentatively walked forward, both in awe of this majestic creation and perhaps a little frightened of it. Could something so beautiful – so alluring – not be a trap? She stepped right up to the tree, her eyes roaming over it from top to bottom.

It had no leaves, but it bore five branches outwards. On each branch was a small, pebble-sized crystal of a unique color. And there, in the very center of the tree, was a sixth; a dazzling purple crystal that simply radiated power.

No, the whole tree was giving off that energy. Arcadês was an earth pony and had no link to magical powers, but the energy given off by this crystalline plant was enough to make her whole body tremble. With this power, she could overturn continents. With this power, she could defeat a God.

Her eyes widened. She could defeat Discord.

She smiled, perhaps a little manically, staring at the crystals. She reached for the one in the center, but slowly, her hoof lowered. The tree wasn't grown yet. She lowered her head, staring at the base of the tree. There she saw two symbols; a sun and moon. They meant little to her as she turned over ideas in her frazzled mind.

How long would this tree take to reach maturity? And would she be alive to see that day? Thoughts began to swirl in her mind and slowly, a motif began to form amidst the paints of her obsession. She looked back up to the tree, gently trailing her hoof over it's trunk.

"You called me here, didn't you? I'm here for a reason." She closed her eyes and took in a deep breath. "But to use you properly, I will need time. Won't I? Time I don't have." She stepped back several steps, bowing to the tree. "But I will. I know why you called me here. Somepony needs to defeat Discord. Somepony needs to wipe his evil off the face of Equestria."

Arcadês grinned, looking back up to the tree from her bow. "That somepony will be me. I will find a way to get more time, if it means cheating Death himself. I will stare into the eye sockets of the Reaper of Ponies and I will laugh." She stood up suddenly, charged with purpose. "I will become immortal!"

The final sentence rang throughout the chamber, echoing for what seemed like forever among the crystals. Immortal. Immortal. I will become immortal.

Arcadês never returned home. Likely, all the ponies of the village either assumed she'd died in the fire or ended her own life in the Everfree. It didn't matter. Arcadês had been born anew with her new purpose. She felt bad for leaving Resting Rocks to the ministrations of Discord, but her purpose was to help more than just the village now. She would save all of Equestria.

She turned her head to the west; to an untamed land ruled only by those strong enough to endure it. She hiked up her saddlebags and began walking. She knew where she was bound; in the lands of the undiscovered west, there was a legend of a sub-race of earth ponies known as Zebra. The zebra were master alchemists – even a young zebra could supposedly trump her talents. They lived in tribes and shunned outsiders.

But Arcadês needed them. Equestria needed them. She'd plead her case. And there, with the help of those mysterious and powerful ponies, Arcadês would transcend the very Gods, both old and new.


Two years. It took her two years to find the land of the Zebra Tribes. They were nomadic by nature and Arcadês was fairly certain they kept scouts available to watch for travelers and move to avoid them. After some time, she'd taken to moving stealthily through the savanna they called home, learning to spot signs of their travel and follow them. Like a huntress, she stalked her prey and eventually, she found one. A zebra.

The stallion was below her, drinking from a small stream amid the dry and dangerous land. She watched as he lifted his head, looking both ways, before departing to the east.

But she knew that trick already. The zebra would head east, disguise his tracks, then double back in another direction; she'd lost a trail more than once because of something so simple. Arcadês was no woodspony. She hated roughing it through the savanna, but she had little choice. Only the zebra tribes could help her gain the knowledge she needed in time.

She stalked the zebra as he did what she expected, walking some distance, then masking his trail as he ventured north-west. She followed from afar, as silent as she could.

But, again, Arcadês was no woodspony. Her hoof found a dried piece of wood, which snapped tellingly under her weight. She cursed as the zebra snapped his head to her and took off into a nearby patch of tall grass.

"Not this time," she said to herself as she charged after him, her hood falling off her head and sand kicking up into her eyes. She saw flashes of his white and black striped coat among the dried plants, but never got a clear look at him. "Wait!" She shouted, hoping he'd listen. "Please, I need help!" She dove into the grass, hoping to find a sign of his passage. "My homeland is in danger and I need to save it! Please, I have to go to your tribe. Only you can help me!"

A hoofprint and some displaced grass caught her eyes. Another trick? Arcadês followed the trail, moving as quickly as she could, eyes darting this way and that whenever she could spare a small moment. She saw him and pounced without thinking. He had stopped – maybe to listen to her, maybe because even he was lost among these plants – and she wasn't willing to risk him vanishing again.

She heaved for breath from her place over him, staring down into his surprised face. "Please. You need to help me." She said through her labored breaths. It was like her lungs weren't getting the air they needed. She hadn't had a good meal in weeks and she'd gotten little sleep in her pursuit of this zebra. She knew what was wrong, but she couldn't stop it. She should've taken better care of herself, but Equestria needed her. "Please... please..." Arcadês said weakly, feeling the world twirl, even though she was still. Her eyes rolled up into her head and she collapsed.


Wetness on her forehead. A dampened cloth of some kind. Arcadês knew the feeling of them; she'd used them daily back in Resting Rocks. She kept her eyes closed and listened.

There was the sound of wind blowing through something – possibly an open window. She peeked one eye open and was met by a sleeping face just inches from hers.

"Gods!" She jumped back and instantly regretted it. Her whole body ached; she knew what it meant. She'd been so hungry, her body had actually started to eat itself. She was weakened and hurting, but she also felt well hydrated and less hungry than she'd been before.

"You," she said simply. She could tell that this was the same zebra she had been chasing through the tall grass. He leaned back from where he'd been resting his head, yawning.

"Yes, I am me." His ponish was broken and difficult to understand, but it was most certainly ponish. "You said you were needing help, yes?" He rose and stretched before walking over to a nearby counter. Arcadês' mouth watered when she saw what was there; a loaf of homemade bread and several edible plants. "You were very much hungry." She wanted the bread – knew it would swell up and make her feel more full than she'd felt in months. But thankfully, the zebra knew his stuff. He returned carrying a bowl of soup, a simple broth that tasted odd but warmed Arcadês' insides.

Better to not gorge herself. Start slow. Build up to the bread.

"Y-yes," she said between slurps of soup, "I've been looking for the Zebra Tribes for..." She tried to remember how long she'd been searching, but she'd lost track of days. "A very long time," she finished lamely before taking another long sip.

"Why did you seek us?" He asked, tipping his head to the side. His mane style was unusual, braided in such a way that Arcadês had never seen before. It looked so strange that she almost wanted to reach out and touch it.

"I... I should tell you my name first." She laughed at the ridiculousness of it all. She'd sought out the zebras, finally found one, then had to be rescued from starvation. It was almost pathetic. "I'm Arcadês Herbswood. I come from Equestria."

"Mm," was the only response the zebra gave, watching her intently.

"I, uh..." She suddenly felt very nervous. Was this a test? "I'm an alchemist." She sat up a little straighter. "I make magical and mundane potions and study the nature of metals, reagents, and their connection to the body. I've come here to seek your help; I've heard legends that the zebras are possessing of a rare knack for this kind of art. Equestria is in trouble and I believe I have the power to save it."

The zebra stared at her in silence for a moment, then nodded. "My name is Zethrim; you seek the Shaman. She does not study metals, but potions? Potions are the way." He motioned to the door. "You are weak, so go slowly."

Arcadês climbed from the bed, giving herself a little shake. Her whole body ached from the chase through the savanna, but her head hurt worse. She knew this feeling. One time, she'd dosed herself with a drug to make sure she knew what it felt like. She even recognized the taste. This was...

"Syrian Rue and Foal's Breath... A truth serum? You drugged the soup!" Arcadês accused, not moving from her spot. She stared at Zethrim, who turned to look at her.

"We do not give trust easily. Now I know the words you spoke are true. I will tell the Chieftain everything he must know to secure you a place here among our tribe. If you seek to save lives, we will not turn you away."

Arcadês was furious for a moment. She went to speak, but bit her tongue. Did she really want to spout her true feelings about this situation to this zebra? She'd burn these bridges she'd built faster than the cornflower grows. The zebra seemed to notice her struggle and smiled.

"I am sorry we were made to breach your rights and heart. We get many... visitors, and not many of them come for good." He motioned for her to follow. "Come. I will take you to one who can answer your questions."

Arcadês conceded his point. At least they were giving her a chance. She hurried to his side as quickly as her weakened body would allow, stepping into her new life among the Zebra Tribes.

Author's Note:

You know, I was really torn on the whole topic of "the first dragons." Anyone who knows my writing knows I love continuity and keeping as close to the canon as possible. However, in this instance, I hit a few speed bumps. Yes, I know the tale of Flash Magnus; that will be addressed next chapter. However, that wasn't the only problem. I had no evidence either way stating that dragons did or did not exist prior to Discord's reign (outside the comics, at least). I considered Kirin, but realized that in Sound of Silence, the Kirin/Nirik shield was from Rockhoof's time.

After much debating, I decided to stick with my original idea on one condition. If people disliked the ponies becoming the first dragons, I would undo that event and replace them with another race; something I make up perhaps. Regardless, I hope this weird little moment of headcanon doesn't put people off of the story.