• Published 29th Mar 2019
  • 760 Views, 11 Comments

A Hearth's Warming Story; Limestone Daphne Pie Saves Hearth's Warming - Jay Watson



Twilight has invited her all her close friends and families to her castle for a big Hearth's Warming celebration

  • ...
0
 11
 760

Introduce Yourself; Right On!

“I’ll be good. I promise.” Nova tried to convince her brother and parents, looking somewhat hangdog for having gone off like the fangirl she was for Princess Twilight.

“Are you going to keep it together?” Sunburst repeated his demand.

“Cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye.” Nova recited the ‘Pinkie Promise’ she’d learned from the friendship journal to her family.

Suddenly, the very creator of said promise came hopping into the kitchen to check on the soup that was cooking away on the stovetop. Sunburst could already see his sister was gearing herself up to go all ‘super-fan’ on Pinkie as well.

“Oh, hi everypony! Happy Hearth’s Warming!” Pinkie chimed in her sing-song way. She bounded over to say hi to them. “C’mon, Sunburst! Introduce me to your family!” She grinned from ear to ear, thrilled to meet more guests. Sunburst would try again.

“Mom, dad, this is Twilight’s good friend Pinkie Pie.” He waved them over to say hello. His parents seemed more at ease with meeting Pinkie.

“Steller Flare Blaze; wonderful to make your acquaintance.” Stellar Flare was much more comfortable at first introductions. Sunspot was quick to follow on his wives hooves in shaking Pinkie’s hoof and passing along a business card to her. Having ‘legendary’ customers would add to his reputation.

“Sunspot Blaze, a pleasure to meet another of Sunburst’s friends.” He was as ‘professional’ as ever, never to miss a chance. Pinkie took the card from him, delighted in receiving it.

“Thanks. I’ll add it to my collection of business connections.” She then tucked it away in her incredibly bouncy red curls of mane hair that topped her head. Both of Sunburst’s parents watched in amazement as the card slowly disappeared into the mass of hair.

“Oh, hi there! And what’s your name?” Pinkie spotted Nova standing there next to her mother, clutching her journal tightly and grinning in excitement of meeting yet another of the famed heroines of Equestria. She practically trembled in excitement.

“Nova!” She managed to squeak out in a tiny voice, her excitement barely under her control.

“Would you like me to sign you journal?” Pinkie was more than happy to, seeing the young filly clutching it close to her chest.

“Okay!” Nova could barely sputter, at the frayed ends of her control on her enthusiasm. She passed the journal to Pinkie who then dug around inside her mane curls to suddenly whip out a quill and ink pot to use.

“Where did that come from?” Sunspot quietly asked his son, astounded by Pinkie’s ability to simply make appear whatever she need from her hair.

How does she keep that in her mane? Magic?” Steller Flare added to the questions, wondering at this.

All Sunburst could do was shrug and shake his head, completely mystified by this.

Pinkie signed Nova’s journal with a small personal message of holiday wishes right next to where Twilight had signed.

“There! Hope you like it!” Pinkie passed it back to Nova and watched Nova’s face light up with the joy of her autograph. Nova just couldn’t hold her excitement in any longer.

“Oh Ms. Pinkie Pie, I love all the friendship lessons you wrote in the journal! Me and all my friends learned so much about friendship and baking too! We’ve read them all, like, a million times!” Nova practically yelled in excitement, prancing wildly in place. Pinkie, wanting to give Nova a thrill, played up to her fan’s excitement.

“Really?! A million times?! No foolin’?” Pinkie started bouncing up and down on her hooves, joining in on Nova’s high pitched tone.

“Yes! Yes! Oh yes! We all love them! They’re so much fun to do!” Nova was so caught up in her exhilaration of meeting Pinkie that she completely missed her parents and her brother’s looks of embarrassment. Seeing Nova so excited only fueled Pinkie’s desire to make it even more exciting for Nova.

“Really? Are they the most super-duper, ultra-funniest, fantabulous friendship lessons there are in the whole wide world?!” Pinkie now was hopping up and down, grinning and getting Nova even more over-the-top excited. The young filly practically screeched her reply.

“Oh, gosh, yes! It’s the funniest, greatest friendship lessons there are! I love every one of them!” Nova was hopping up and down too, unable to keep it together any longer, going full-on ‘fangirl’ with Pinkie.

“Nova! What did we just talk about? I thought you were going to keep it together!” Sunburst tried to reign in his little sister, she was quivering in excitement. Sunburst’s parents groaned in frustration of dealing with their daughter’s behavior. Velvet could only smile and chuckle softly to herself at how much the young filly was a fan of her daughter and Twilight’s friends.

“Oh, don’t be mad, Sunburst. We’re just having fun. Tell you what, why don’t I take her to meet every pony else here. I’m sure she’d want to meet Rarity and Applejack too.” Pinkie watched as Nova’s eyes went wide with delight at hearing she could meet the rest of the fabled ‘Protectors of Equestria’ and have Pinkie as her personal chaperone to do so.

“Really?!” Nova squealed, as thrilled as she was already, this was going to be something she would brag about for months to her friends.

“Maybe I should join you. I don’t want her to cause any problems with the other guests.” Sunburst was always cautious when it came to letting his little sister go off on her own, especially today. No telling what mischief she could get into.

“Sure! C’mon, I’ll introduce to my family too!” Pinkie was already bounding for the kitchen door and holding it open for them. Nova moved so fast to stand right beside Pinkie, eager to get more autographs for her journal. Sunburst followed after them, listening to Pinkie tell about her family.

“My family’s rock farm is w-a-a-a-ay out to the south-west of Ponyville. Most of the times it not much fun but-” Pinkie couldn’t wait to tell them all about her family, so high on the holiday sprits of sharing and joy.

The kitchen door swung back and forth on its hinges as the trio headed off and in hurried Twilight with another empty tray, needing a refreshment of ordurves from her mom.

“How’s going in here? Is every pony able to get their dish ready?” Twilight spotted the tray on the center counter, prepped by her mom.

“Here you go, sweetie. We’re doing fine in here. I’ve got my next batch of vegetable dip chilling in the freezer and Granny Smith’s bean dip all warmed up on the stove. I’ve got it covered.” Velvet made sure to assure her daughter, aware of her tendency to go, as her brother often referred to it as all Twily-nana. Family code speak for Twilight getting completely panicked over some detail and obsessing over it needlessly.

“Fortunately your friend, Pinkie, saved us from any more of our daughter’s unfortunate behavior. I hope Sunburst can keep her from bothering any of the guests.” Sunspot was much more easygoing about his daughter’s devotion to her fandom, but it always seemed to come out at the worst times.

“That daughter of mine!” Steller Flare groaned with a small shake of her head, wishing her daughter would behave more grown up at such social functions.

“Perhaps I should keep an eye on her as well. If you ladies will excuse me,” Sunspot knew his son would have his hooves full with Nova, and being here with his friends there was a good chance Sunburst would get distracted.

“Do you need any help? I have a free second.” Twilight watched as Sunburst’s mom quickly got her entrée unwrapped and in the oven, getting the timer set.

“Oh, no, but thank you…Twilight,” Steller Flare still found it a little difficult addressing a princess of Equestria so casually, “I think I’d better keep an eye on Nova as well.”

Velvet had the next tray of appetizers ready for her daughter, enjoying her time in keeping Twilight’s party humming along. “I’ve got my eyes on your friend Starlight’s rock bread so everything covered in here.”

“Please join everypony else and enjoy yourself. This party is just getting warmed up.” Twilight watched Steller Flare check the timer on her stove before heading for the kitchen door.

“I will. I have to keep an eye on all my family. Sometimes I think I have three children on my hooves.” She pulled a wry smile, mother humor perhaps skidding on by the princess and over to Velvet. She got the message. Velvet gave a small laugh and smile.

“Check the living room first. I think that’s where the Pinkie’s family is sitting with my dad.” Twilight re-checked two pots boiling away on the stove, making sure every in was going cooking as planned.

Steller Flare took her leave of her hostess in pursuit of her family, making sure none were acting out of line or troublesome.

“I’m so excited for tonight, mom. Pinkie and I have been planning this for so long and it’s all going off perfectly. Especially with you helping out, there’s no way anything could go wrong with this party.” Twilight was so glad her mom was here with her. She may be the new leader of Equestria, but she was still mom’s helper in the kitchen when it came to holiday mealtime prepping and planning.

After last year’s debacle of trying to make a magical pudding mix and having it go wild, Twilight realized she wanted something a bit more ‘traditional’ and safe this year.

“I’m glad I could help out.”

In to the kitchen trotted Starlight from the hallway. “How’s the bread baking?” She went right over to her oven to check the timer once more.

“Rising just right and looking good. It’ll be perfect when done.” Velvet assured her, keeping an eye on the roasting stuffed peppers of Windy’s that were almost done.

When Twilight stepped around the center island in the kitchen to check one of the pots simmering on the stovetop, she saw the telltale signs of upset by the puffy redness around Starlight’s eyes.

“Starlight, are you okay? Are you upset over something?” Twilight got Starlight’s attention away from the baking bread. Starlight only smiled and unexpectedly reached out to hug Twilight tightly.

“Thank you for inviting him. He needed this. I needed this.” Starlight spoke softly in Twilight’s ear, so grateful to Twilight for throwing this party. Twilight looked up at her mom, a bit confused by Starlight’s sudden embrace. Velvet only shrugged and smiled, thinking it must be the holiday spirit. Twilight didn’t question why Starlight was so overcome by the moment.

“Wha-? Oh, um, okay. I’m glad I could do some-”

“Twilight! You got any more of those appetizers ready? They’re a big hit and we need some more in the living room, stat!” Starlight let go of her friend as Spike came barging through the doorway, announcing in that happy melodic tone of his, all while holding open the door to the kitchen. When the two close friends turned to look at Spike they could see out into the hallway behind him. Firelight Glimmer was standing there talking and laughing with Sunspot Blaze, Rarity, Zephyr Breeze and Hondo Flanks about something. It made both Twilight and Starlight happy to see this, for different but significant reasons. Sunspot trotted up behind Spike who was still standing in the doorway to the kitchen.

“Excuse me, every pony, would our hostess have a quiet room close by I could use for a moment? I’ll be as quick as I can.” He was already pulling out a couple of Palomino pencils from a vest pocket, a look of slight embarrassment for putting his hostess so suddenly on the spot.

“I know there’s a study room down the hall, the last door on the left, you could use. It’s small, if you don’t mind.” Twilight recalled from a recent cleaning out she done. Starlight nodded, remembering the room she’d seen Twilight clearing out before she departed for Canterlot.

“Thank you. I promise I will be quick. Just have to crunch some numbers for a client.”

“There’s some time before we sit down for the first course so don’t rush.” Twilight smiled and waved off any worry he might have. He gave a polite nod of gratitude before heading off down the hall with Rarity and Zephyr Breeze right behind him.

“I guess you can take the pony out of the office but you can’t get the office out of the pony, even at Hearth’s Warming.” Velvet’s quip made Twilight and Starlight laugh a little.

“Guess not.” Twilight wondered how any pony could be so driven to work even on a holiday.

“That just means more appetizers for us!” Spike was crazy for Velvet’s cooking, silently wishing Twilight’s mom would visit the castle more often.

“Typical Spike; always thinking of his stomach first.” Starlight mocked him playfully, smirking slightly. Spike took no offence.

“Hey, I don’t ever get eat this good. When it’s around I like to stock up on it.” He patted his stomach, a satisfied smile on his face for already having put a way a tray’s worth of snacks, then hiccupping as a result. “Besides, being host dragon for a party is a lot of work. I need to keep my strength up.”

“I’ll give you a hoof with the next tray, seeing how some dragon keeps making them disappear before any pony else gets to have some.” Using her magic, Starlight levitated one of the trays up high and out of Spike’s reach. Twilight did likewise, making sure Spike couldn’t get to it.

“Good idea.” Twilight lead the way out of the kitchen with Starlight right behind, keeping the trays away from Spike’s scrambling claws as he looked up and could smell which ones they were.

“Oh-h-h! The ones with the apple butter and fruit toppings! I love those!” The two girls were moving too quickly to allow him any chance of snatching a sample.

“Oh Spike!” Velvet called sweetly to her adopted son, showing him a third tray she had kept apart from the rest, aware of his love of her cooking. Spike charged right over, spotting his favorites on the tray.

“Thanks, mom!” He hugged Velvet tightly before diving in, chomping happily away.

“Now don’t eat them all, Spike. We still have supper to come.” She loved to spoil her children during the holidays like this.

Starlight headed for the living room, seeing her dad, Twilight’s dad, Fluttershy and her parents all sitting with Pinkie, her mom and dad and Sunburst’s sister Nova.

“You take care of the guests in here, I’ll check on the lounge where Applejack and her family are sitting.” Twilight headed for the doorway next to the living room, ready to serve her guests.

Starlight was so glad to see her dad sitting with the other guests, getting out of his comfort zone and meeting new ponies. This was the best Hearth’s Warming eve she could remember in a really long time.

Twilight walked in on the Apple family in the middle of Grand Pear’s storytelling about the Pear family, getting his audience to laugh at his tale.

“I have some more appetizers and refreshments for any pony who wants some.” Twilight momentarily interrupted the conversation as she brought the platter to rest on the coffee table in front of them. Sweetie Belle and her mom, Cookie Crumbles, snapped up some immediately as they were listening and learning more about Rarity’s friends.

“Yum! You’ve made the best snacks, Twilight! I could eat these all night!” Sweetie Belle chomped down three more of the loaded crackers, smiling as she did and enjoying the company.

“Thanks, Sweetie Belle. Please,” Twilight addressed the elder pony who sat on the couch surrounded by the Apple family, “continue with what you were telling every pony.”

“Like I was sayin’, you should have seen him run from that bull like he did! He was stuck up in a tree for hours, waiting for me or his mother to come and shoo that old bull away from the tree.” Grand Pear was glad to share his family’s history, seeing them all smile and laugh at the story he told. He flipped the page in the photo album over to the next group of pictures.

“Pear’s brother still lives up in Vanhoover nearby. Your uncle Red,” he addressed Applejack and Big Mac, “has his own pear orchard there and does a good job supplying the north-west area with his pears. Pretty soon, he’ll have an orchard that’ll rival mine. His daughter, your cousin Forelles, has a farm just west of Neighagra Falls. She specializes in growing and shipping organic produce for those high-brow Manehattanite ponies.” Grand Pear was proud at how good his son has done for himself. Decades of hard work had made their family prosperous and the Pear family orchards were a match with what Granny Smith had accomplished with Sweet Apple Acres.

The thee Apple family members and his grand-stallion’s new wife sat around him as they passed the old photo album between them to look over the fading black and white pictures. Twilight stepped a little closer to look as well. Grand Pear flipped to the next page of pictures and Granny let out a small sigh of recognition.

“Oh, and there’s Pear Butter! She looks just like I remember her!” Granny could recall the sound of Pear’s voice like it was just yesterday.

“That picture was taken only a week or so before she met that son of yours, Granny.” Grand Pear chuckled a little, recalling how Bright Mac had acted the first day they’d met, confessing he’d accidentally knocked over the Pear farm’s water tower in a rush to meet Pear Butter.

“Oh, I’d forgotten how you’ve got your mama’s eyes, Applejack, and Apple Bloom’s got a mane and tail as fiery colored as her Pa’s.” Granny touched the page with the photo of Pear Butter, recalling those fond memories.

“I sure do wish I could remember more of Ma and Pa, but I was just too little back then.” Applejack could sort of recall what their voices sounded like, but it was just too far in her past. She looked up to see Big Mac staring at the picture of their mother with the strangest expression.

“I would have loved to have met them. Big Mac talks fondly of your mother and her love of guitar music.” Sugar Belle leaned in a little more to look at the picture of her husband’s mother, seeing the family resemblance Granny spoke about.

“Hey, Big Mac, are you okay?” Applejack wondered about the strange way her brother was staring so intensely at the picture of their mom. She reached around Grand Pear and tried to get her brother’s attention by giving him a small shake. But it was if he was in some kind of trance or something because he didn’t even acknowledge her nudging his body. His breath started to come in quick, shallow pants and he suddenly shuddered, like he’d been hit with jolt of electricity. It got all of their attention away from the photo album.

Big Mac quickly pushed away the photo album and clumsily tried to get up from his spot on the couch, urgency in his movement to get away.

“I… I don’t wanna’ look no more at them pictures.” He almost tripped over Sugar Belle’s hooves as he tried to move away from his spot on the couch next to Grand Pear. His insistence on getting up and away from them became more imperative, as if suddenly fleeing the space. Applejack reached out with her foreleg, confused by his behavior.

“But… Big Mac, it’s just pictures of Ma & Pa. Don’t you want to see the-”

“I said I don’t wanna’ look no more!” Big Mac half-turned around and practically yelled at his sister, fear in his eyes at the request to stay. Suddenly aware of his raised voice, he ran out of the living room, bumping into Twilight as he hurried passed.

“What in tarnation’s wrong with him? I ain’t seen him upset like that before.” Applejack could not imagine what had gotten him a state like that.

“Was it something we said?” Sweetie Belle had seen Big Mac upset before but this was unlike any previous time. The look she saw in Big Mac’s eyes; fear like nothing she seen.

“I’d better go see what has him so upset. If you’d please excuse me.” Sugar Belle got up from her spot on the comfy couch, exiting into the hallway and looking about for her husband. Spike suddenly emerged from the library, holding above his head a tray of empty cider mugs and was about to head back to the kitchen when Sugar Belle stepped right over to him.

“Oh, Spike, did you see Big Mac go by a second ago?”

“I saw something rush past the doorway to the library but don’t know if it was him or not. Excuse me, Sugar Belle.” Spike had to get back to the kitchen and get the next tray of drinks for the guest.

Sugar Belle had to put herself in his horseshoes for a second. Where does he go when he gets upset or angry? Either go work on some equipment in the barn or find the quietest place he could find to be alone.

Since they weren’t home on the farm, she figured he would want to be in the quietest place he could find here in the castle.

Up the staircase to the second floor and down the guest bedroom hallway she quietly moved, the carpet silencing her hoofsteps as she went. After only a minute or so of looking, she found him sitting in a small out cove in front of a large bay window just at the end of the hallway. She approached him slowly, seeing his head resting up against the glass.

The cool glass pane against his skin was comforting and soothing as he desperately tried to silence the sounds in his head, the sounds of roaring thunder and driving rain in his ears, and worse, the yelling and the sound of that voice crying out…

It was rushing back to him now from that dark place, as clear as was happening right in front of him again, like in the nightmares. He could still hear them; screaming… screaming… screaming! Why won’t they stop screaming?!

He pushed his head harder against the glass pain, concentrating his mind on silencing the sounds and images that were unexpectedly summoned from his looking at the old pictures. A tiny creak from the floorboards alerted Big Mac to someone close by who was interrupting his solitude. He opened his eyes, discovering Sugar Belle standing just behind him when seeing her reflection in the glass.

“Big Mac,” she took a step closer and spoke so softly, “what’s wrong?” He didn’t answer right away, only waving her closer to him. She came to stand next to him and he took her in his forelegs, silently holding her close to his body, now resting his chin on top her head. Sugar Belle could feel his body trembling as he held her. She was very concerned just then, seeing and hearing him act so out of character like that.

“Is… is something bothering you?” She would wait for his answer, never demanding it right away. He would say what he had to say in his good time, she had to be patient. The silence was defining as she did, a bit of fear gnawing at her stomach.

“Nope.”

Through help of her new sister in laws, she was learning how to interpret his tone and words when he did talk; which ‘nope’ really meant ‘no, I don’t want talk about it’ or ‘I want to talk about it but I don’t know how or I’m afraid to’.

His breathing calmed and steadied while the tremor of his body slowly fading away, as if by her mere presence magically kept what was bothering him away.

It probably wasn’t as long a time as she thought but it just felt so much longer because it was her husband who was in need. Only when he felt himself centered once more did Big Mac let go of her and address her directly. She looked up at him to gently stroke his mane, brushing it away from his face with a free forehoof.



“Sugar Belle?”

“Yes?”

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to get upset in front of you an’ all those nice guests like that.” He chose his words carefully, making sure to be understood.

“It’s okay.” She assured, wanting him to say more but aware he still wasn’t the talkative type. Surprising her, he actually did say more.

“Remember this past spring when you took me to meet your folks up in Neighagra Falls?”

“Oh, of course. My folks were so glad to finally meet you. They really took a shine to you, especially my mom. She loved the way you ate everything she made to eat.” A small chuckle escaped her with a smile, getting him to smile a little too.

“I like your Ma and Pa, they’re real down-to-earth kinda ponies, makin’ me feel at home like they did.”

Sugar Belle was so glad he and her folks clicked like they had. She knew even before they’d met, he would win them over. But as quickly his smile came, it faded from his mouth.

“I have a confession to make.” That got Sugar Belle’s attention.

“What is it?” She gulped down the little lump of anticipation in her throat.

“I…” He tried to get it out, trying to call on the courage to tell his true love. “I don’t…remember what happened to my folks.”

Sugar Belle blinked a few times, stunned, not sure if she heard him correctly. “What?”

“I don’t remember what happened to my folks; it’s like one day my Ma or Pa were there and then the next day they weren’t. I can’t explain it.”

Sugar Belle wasn’t sure what she was hearing. How was that possible? How could he not remember what happened?

“Why?” It was the only question she thought he’d answer without sounding like she was demanding more. He only shook his head a little.

“Ever since I was just a lil’ colt, I can remember some things ‘bout my folks real well and some things I just can’t. I…I don’t know why in’ heck it is, but I can’t. When I’d try hard to think, there was this lil’ lightnin’ bolt that’d come down from somewhere and hit me right here,” he took up her forehoof and placed it over his heart, “and made me hurt real bad for doing so. Then, one day I stopped trying to think about them so much, and that lil’ lightnin’ bolt never came to hit me again,” His head drooped low with his eyes closed, “until I looked at them pictures.”

“Oh, Big Mac!” She reached up to hold him, wishing his heart not be heavy or his mind full of dread on such a joyous eve as this. “Is there anything I or any pony else can do to help? Please tell me.”

“Will you stay here with me for a lil’ longer? Please?” He didn’t have to worry, she understood him.

“I’ll stay as long as you want me to.” She watched his gentle smile return again as she held him close, feeling him rest his chin atop her head, and able to make whatever was bothering him seem to fade away with just her embrace. Big Mac felt so lucky to have her.

“It’s nice an’ quiet up here; lookin’ at the snow fallin’ outside.” They look out the large pane of glass, watching the snow coat everything outside in a fluffy white blanket. “We can be alone for a little bit up here. I reckon the party’s not goin’ to end anytime soon.” He thought this the perfect opportunity for them to have some alone time and away from every pony.

They’d been cooking and preparing for this party all week and in constant motion since six a.m. this morning. This was the first moment all day they had for some alone time. Snuggling together in front of the window, feeling their heartbeats together in the stillness of the early evenings light helped bring about the magic in their hearts and the holiday spirit return. After a few minutes of quiet togetherness, Sugar Belle had to ask.

“Do you want still want to tell every pony tonight?” Oddly enough, he actually snickered.

“E’yup.” There was a definite twinge of excitement in his response, eager to wait for the right moment to spring the news.

Even being this far away from the festivities downstairs, the newlyweds could still the next group of guests come roaring through the front doors and give a thunderous holiday greeting to all in earshot.

===================************======================

“Anypony want another snack? I’ve got more here.” Starlight announced, gliding in to the living room as she levitated the tray down on the coffee table, allowing the guests to enjoy more of Velvet’s creations. She apparently came in on the middle of discussion as everypony seemed to be focused on Pinkie Pie’s mom and dad.

“Thanks!” Both Sweetie Belle and June Shy scooped up a few more of the treats.

“You were about to say, Igneous.” August Shy took another sip of his tea, curious to learn more about the Pie family’s tradition.

“And so it was that the Choosing Stone doth say unto us on the anointed day: Thou shalt love and taketh Cloudy Quartz as thy wife and it was so.” The words, so solemnly spoken and deep with conviction, echoed with a faith solid as the family patriarch’s name.

“Indeed it was. The Stone decreed my love unto him, for this I was chosen of all the eligible mares.” Cloudy Quartz looked onto her husband of so many moons now, her undying and unwavering love for him who had given her four lovely daughters.

“It sounds like a wonderful tradition; passed down from one generation to the next.” June Shy loved to hear family history like this. Knowing more about her daughter’s friends more made them feel closer.

“Well, I suppose it must cut down on the whole dating issue.” Night Light pondered the idea of a magical stone picking out who some pony had to marry, even if they’d never met before. Would it do a better job?

“So, wait, the parents don’t get a say in the deal?” Hondo Flanks was a bit mystified by the whole thing.

Both of Sunburst’s parents had never heard of such a tradition and looked to their some for some explanation. But Sunburst couldn’t, the best he could do was shrug and give a small shake of his head, silently saying with a ‘don’t ask me, it’s the first time hearing it myself’ kind of look.

“A Choosing Stone you say, eh?” Firelight’s voice had that signature lilt to it that Starlight instantly recognized, aware of what he was going with this. She was quickly got back to her duty of collecting cider mugs.

“Perhaps you could try-” He started to ask his daughter as she made a beeline for the archway out to the hall.

“Don’t even think about it, dad.” She did not want a reprise of the conversation they had in private about her dating life and why she hadn’t gotten together with Sunburst yet.

She was heading for the kitchen when the front doors of the castle were thrown open by a small entourage of ponies who charged in, the cold blowing snow billowing in after them.

“Happy Hearth’s Warming every pony!” The foursome belted out, so loud that they probably could’ve heard them all the way in Canterlot. One of them gave the front door a quick kick of their hind leg, slamming it shut with a bang that echoed off the walls. Spike came charging out of the kitchen to greet the next group of guests and make a proper introduction, trying to wipe his mouth clean and get his clipboard right-side up. He came to a skidding stop right in front of the new guests, panting slightly.

“Hello every pony. My name is Spike and I am your official Hearth’s Warming celebration host-dragon for the evening. We have a wonderful evening planned ahead so if every pony will follow me upstairs, we’ll get all of you situated in your rooms and the food to the kitchen for any preparation you might need.” Spike reiterated the greeting once more, having repeated it so many times already and practicing, he hardly needed the cue card he’d written up.

“Wow! These are some digs your friend has, Dashie!” Bo Hothoof lowered Scootaloo down from off his shoulders, the two parents awed by the grandeur and festive decorations the castle was adorned with, the interior walls awash in festive red and green colors and decorations.

“It’s more spectacular then I could have imagined!” Windy Whistles simply gushed, so overwhelmed by being here for the first time.

“Mom, Dad, please remember what we talked about on the way here.” Rainbow Dash knew they’d be excited to be here, but she was making sure they kept it together. This was the first time meeting any of her friends or their families and she wanted them not to embarrass her or Scootaloo.

“Don’t worry, Rainbow Dash, I’m here to make sure it all goes perfect and to chronicle it for every pony.” Dash’s perennial sidekick was helping today as well, handling some of the desert items her mom had made along with their entrée offering for dinner tonight.

“I know you will, squirt.” Dash watched her click off a few pictures, momentarily blinding Spike in the process at the flash went off right in front of his eyes.

“Hey, you made it! Hi Scootaloo!” Starlight came right over to meet the final scheduled guests arriving.

“Hi Starlight! Happy Hearths Warming!” Scootaloo grinned from ear to ear, thrilled to be here to celebrate. Dash did the formalities of introduction in her own ‘unique’ way.

“Mom and dad, this is my good friend Starlight Glimmer; she was student counselor but is now Head Mare for the school. Starlight, these are my parents.”

“Bo Hothoof, a pleasure to meet you.” Bo first extended a friendly wing in greeting but quickly recovered by switching to a forehoof. Starlight only smiled, understanding the gaff.

“Windy Whistles, and so glad to meet more of my daughter’s friends.” Rainbow Dash’s mom was bubbly and bright with the holiday cheer, ready to celebrate.

“I’ll take our bags and coats to our room so you three can get dinner ready for every pony.” Bo was already reaching for their coats and hats, ready to get the drudgery over with and start partying. Spike lead the way.

“Right up these steps, sir. I’ll show you to your room.” Spike helped with the baggage, leading Bo up the stairs and keen to get Rainbow Dash’s family situated. He had to get back to helping out running the party.

“Follow me to the kitchen. There’s plenty of space for doing any last minute prep you might need.” Starlight and Rainbow Dash made some quick introductions along the way with the three Pie sisters heading back to the lounge with Babs Seed in tow.

“Rainbow Dash! Scootaloo!” Pinkie cried joyously upon seeing the new guests entering the kitchen. She reached out and administered another of her bone-crushing hugs on her friend. Dash felt the breath squashed out of her as Scootaloo watched on, grinning at the sight of holiday cheer between good friends.

Gack! Hi, Pinkie! Happy Hearths Warming!” Dash managed to wheeze, turning a slightly deeper shade of blue from the lack of oxygen. Scootaloo snapped a quick picture, wanting to keep for posterity the holiday cheer between such good friends. Finally, the pink earth-pony released her friend, holding Dash up by her cheeks.

“Isn’t this going to be the bestest, most funfest holiday we’ve ever had to share together? It’ll be legendary! We get to have dinner all together and have lots of deserts and get to make s’mores together around the fire later and-!” Pinkie raved on in her excitement.

Rainbow Dash was still recovering unable to answer. Fortunately, Windy came to the rescue, introducing herself as her daughter gasped for breath.

“You must Dashie’s good friend Pinkie Pie, right?” By the squeaky voice her daughter described one of her friends having, Windy was pretty sure of being right.

“Yes and I’m ever so happy every pony I know is at long last here to have fun and be together and have the best Hearth’s Warming celebration ever!” Pinkie practically shouted, embracing both Rainbow Dash again and Scootaloo as her joy for the holiday simply exploded out of her like her infamous party cannon.

“Twilight Velvet; very nice to make your acquaintance.” She made sure to wipe her hooves before shaking each of Rainbow Dash, Windy Whistles and Scootaloo’s hooves, she having been working with her daughter to keep things moving here in the kitchen all afternoon.

“Let’s get your entrée ready so you can join the other guests.” Starlight led Windy around the long island counter to the opposite side where the ovens were warmed up and ready. Velvet took a few steps back to give them room.

“I only need to do the final cooking of them so it shouldn’t long.” Windy popped open the oven door and slid in the four trays of stuffed peppers into the oven, setting the timer and temperature.

“My daughter, Twilight, is somewhere around here and should be-” Velvet was cut off as a lavender pony came hurrying in through the kitchen door.

“Those toasted flatbread slices with roasted tomato you made earlier are a big-” Twilight caught herself mid-sentence, spotting the new guests. “Sorry! I should’ve been listening for your arrival.” She hurried over to meet her guests. Pinkie finally released Rainbow Dash from her clutches.

“Twilight, this is mom. Mom this is my friend, Twilight.” Rainbow Dash was as laidback with her introduction as could be. Windy was a little nervous, meeting a princess for the first time.

“Wonderful to meet you, Pr-” she caught herself, “Twilight. We’re just so grateful to spend the holiday time with so many important ponies in my daughter’s life.” Twilight made Dash’s family feel right at home.

“Oh, pbthh on that. No ‘important ponies’ here today. Only good friends, families and lots of holiday cheer.” Twilight’s festive and upbeat mood helped Windy relax. Bo Hothoof came hurrying into the kitchen, spotting his wife talking with the Princess of Friendship.

“Your highness, I’m-” Bo was about to head for the floor, bowing to Twilight, eager to show proper respect for a princess of Equestria but stopped about half-way down. “Oh, wait, you told me I shouldn’t-” Rainbow Dash planted a forehoof to her forehead, seeing her dad do the exact opposite what she’d instructed.

“Da-a-a-d! I told you on the way here; no bowing or any of that ‘royalty stuff’. Twilight’s not into all that and wants us to chilax.” Rainbow Dash couldn’t hide her frustration, groaning how she’d been embarrassed again by her dad. He quickly recovered.

“Sorry about that. I never met a real princess before.” Bo confessed sheepishly, seeing his daughter now red-faced from his mistake. But Twilight waved away any concern.

“Not a problem. Just make yourself at home and join in the party.” Twilight made sure they were not under any pressure here to treat her any differently than any of the other guests.

She could see both of Dash’s parent relax, the pressure off and able to be themselves. “There are lots of appetizers to snack on until dinner is ready so help yourself to any refreshments.”

“C’mon, I’ll introduce you to some of the other guests.” Rainbow Dash was leading her parents out of the kitchen with Scootaloo right behind them.

Ding! The timers went off on the two ovens baking the loaves of rock bread Starlight had set. When she and Velvet opened the doors to the ovens, the whole kitchen quickly filled with the heavenly aroma of warm baked bread. Starlight was grinning wide at the sight of her successful baking.

“How’d they come out?” Twilight and Pinkie tried looking over the counter to watch her mom and Starlight reveal the first loaves.

“Oh-h-h, they look perfect!” Starlight was so excited at how good her baking came out, wanting to impress the other guests to her skill. It may have been Pinkie’s recipe, but it was all Starlight and her dad’s success in making it happen. She couldn’t wait for dinner.

“We’ll let them cool on the racks before trying to get them out of the pans to slice up.” Both Velvet and Starlight used their unicorn magic to move the loaves to the collection of cooling racks on the rear counter behind them. Starlight actually found herself wondering if she had made enough. After going out just once to help Twilight serve some refreshments, and seeing just how many hungry ponies there were she wondered if she’d made enough.

“They smell scrumptious, Starlight!” Pinkie squealed, sure now that her mom’s rock soup would have a perfect accompaniment. She rechecked the rock soup on the stove, all six pots. Each pot had within the bubbling liquid one of the Pie family’s traditional soup rocks, one for each generation of Pie family having passed it down to the next. Each was simmering away nicely and Pinkie began carefully screening off the ‘raft’ on the very top of the liquid. The consommé was almost ready, giving a quick taste test. She lowered the heat on burner.

“We’ve got less than three minutes ‘till it’s ready.” Pinkie announced as she slipped the lids back on the pots.

“I think we’re done with the appetizers, Twilight. The first course is just about ready for us.” Twilight was glad her mom could stop making more of them. She and her mother had been working since dawn. She wanted her mom to have some time with the other party-goers.

Velvet slipped off the apron, thankful to be done, draping on the back of a chair close by as she exited the kitchen. “I’ll help you and Pinkie serve when it’s time to so for now, I’m joining your father in the living room.”

“I’ll keep an eye on the food cooking in here.” Pinkie was in her element, fun and games aside when it came to cooking or baking.

“We’ll bring back the trays and cider mugs. We’re going to need them for dinner serving.” Twilight and Starlight once more used their magic to levitate the empty trays off the counter and headed out on a last roundup.

In the library, Starlight walked in on a running conversation by her friends, each of them was ‘one upping’ the other on which mom had made the best entrée for tonight’s dinner.

“Yeah, I’m sure your mom’s parmigiana is pretty good, Sunburst, but it’s nowhere near as good as my mom’s stuffed green peppers.” Rainbow Dash bragged on. “My mom has this secret recipe for her tomato sauce she uses on the rice and vegetables before baking the pepper. When you take a bite of it, it’s like you’re eating a slice of pure heaven. It just absolutely melts in your mouth!”

Rainbow Dash made it sound awfully good but Sunburst’s little sister, Nova, seemed unconvinced.

“Not possible!” She pouted, defiant of the pegsus pony’s claim. “My mom’s dish is hoof down the best! Parmigiana tops stuffed peppers any day of the week!”

“I’m glad I don’t have to worry about that. I just made the bread for the soup.” Starlight lowered her tray to the coffee table, collecting up the small plates and cider mugs.

“I’m sure it’s going to be perfect for the soup Pinkie and her mom made,” Sunburst made Starlight smile a little, hearing his support of her cooking efforts.

“We only have a few minutes before we have to sit down for the first course so you might want to start making your way to the dining hall.” She levitated the tray up and to her side, heading back for the kitchen, eager to get the soup ladled out for serving and her bread sliced up.

Twilight gathered up the mugs and plates from around the living room and was about to head back to the kitchen when she spotted three more empty mugs on the small table near where Apple Bloom was sitting with all three of Pinkie’s sisters.

She headed over to collect them, entering in on part of a story Apple Bloom was retelling. Twilight listened briefly as she magically moved the glassware onto her floating tray.

“… and then, me an’ Big Mac found this when we were plowin’ up one of the fields on the far end of the farm this past summer. I didn’t know what it was so I figured you might be able to tell me.” Apple Bloom presented a small black rock from her carry bag to the three Pie sisters, all of them curious to see what it was. Near the center of the rock was the impression of a small bug-like creature, as if the shape were engraved into the stone.

“I was doin’ some readin’ up about what it might be. And I know it ain’t a lump of coal, or an onyx gem or one of them geode stones.” Apple Bloom had written down some notes she’d taken from the book of geology she’d taken out from the Ponyville library and brought with her.

Maud took the rock from Apple Bloom, examining it closer with a magnifying eye loop she carried with her at all times. In a few seconds, the doctor of geological studies told her findings.

“What you have found, Apple Bloom, is fossilized exoskeleton imprint of an ancient sea creature called a Trilobite.” Apple Bloom had never heard of that before.

“A tribble-what?” Apple Bloom didn’t quite understand the word Maud had used.

“A Trilobite.” Maud explained more. “A sea creature from a long time ago in out world’s past. I learned of them during my study of plate tectonics while in school.”

Limestone Pie added more. “The land that Sweet Apple Acres is on and most of the surrounding farmland too, was probably the bottom of a sea many thousands, maybe even tens of thousands of years ago or longer.” Marble Pie nodded with her sister’s statements.

That was truly astounding for Apple Bloom to hear, imagining the land covered by water. Twilight, too, found what the Pie sisters said about this part of Equestria once being under water a long time ago incredible to believe. Maud returned the small fossil back to Apple Bloom.

“But… how’s that possible? It’s dry land, right? How could Sweet Apple Acres have been under water? Does that make the ground better for growin’ crops in ‘cause it was under water?” Apple Bloom looked down at the small fossil in her forehoof, trying to imagine what the area must have looked like all those eons ago.

Maud appreciated Apple Bloom’s interest in geology, seeing the spark of scientific curiosity ignited within her cousin. “I can loan you one of my schoolbooks that explains plate tectonics if you want to read more about it. You might find it interesting.”

“Really? That’d be great, Maud.” Apple Bloom retrieved the library book she’d started reading but found the subject somewhat difficult when trying to understand some of the essential concepts.

“Actually, there was somethin’ in this book I wanted to ask about ‘cause it was explainin’ about soil layers and though you could help.” Apple Bloom flipped through the chapters to the paragraph on a bookmarked page, wanting to ask Maud about some terms she had trouble pronouncing. The three Pie sisters briefly look amongst themselves; all of them pleased to have made another connection with, perhaps, an extended part of family they’d come closer to in recent years.

The small, satisfied smile on Maud’s face was all Limestone Pie needed to see and understand that her sister thought Apple Bloom was cool; she ‘gets’ what their family was about. For the tough, no-nonsense earth pony, this trip off the family rock farm wasn’t going to be as bad she’d thought and had griped about all the way here.

“Um-hum!” Marble Pie nodded and quietly gave her approval to the silently shared opinion. The normally very shy sister of Maud seemed genuinely welcoming of their cousin being part of their lives.

“Why the sudden interest in rocks, kid? I thought your family were all about farming.” Limestone wondered what might have brought on the sudden interest. Apple Bloom looked up from the book.

“Big Mac an’ Sugar Belle are runnin’ the farm now ‘cause Applejack is spendin’ most of her time teachin’ at the School of Friendship. So, I figured I could help out by learnin’ up more ‘bout what’s in the soil and what makes it good for growin’. Maybe it’s time for me ta’ step up an’ pitch in more.”

Maud was flattered that Apple Bloom had come to her for answers about the fossil and share with them. “That’s a very worthwhile reason to study up on Edaphology. It would certainly apply to your family’s farming.”

“Every little bit of knowledge help, kid. Keeps you one hoof ahead of the rest and your farm profitable.” Limestone knew from experience the cost and work it took to run a farm, it was tough.

“There’s a chance I might have to do some field research for my university in the springtime. If you aren’t busy on the farm, you could join me as my field assistant if you like.”

“I sure would! I’d think that’s a great idea! Knowin’ more ‘bout the ground will make me a better farmer someday.” Apple Bloom was eager to show her interest in a new subject, especially if it helped out her family.

Twilight was very happy hearing and seeing the holiday magic bringing families closer together like this. “The first coarse for tonight’s meal is only a few minutes away so your four might want to start heading on down to the dining hall shorty.” The alicorn hostess headed for the hallway, wanting to get every pony corralled towards the other end of the castle and seated at the dining table.

“Okay, Twilight.” Apple Bloom felt her stomach grumble slightly, saving her appetite today for the big meal they were going to have together.

“We will. Thank you, Twilight.” Maud was looking forward to this evening’s meal, getting to spend time with her family after being away on so many field trips. She hoped tonight would be a night for them all to remember.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment