• Published 28th Mar 2019
  • 628 Views, 18 Comments

A Raven’s Quest - Chemtest

  • ...
1
 18
 628

Purification

I smile over at Sombra as the ship sets off for New Life, “So, Sombra, you’re the one who did all the work and research on this. What exactly am I supposed to do with this?”

Sombra nods, “The book lays out specific instructions. First, the items must be returned in their completed form. The chalice has to be filled with ash and dirt. The book must be flipped to the final page. When placed in the hands of the third piece, move the subject in front of the gaze of the statue. Only when the statue can stare them down will it work and purify.”

I nod along, and the ship comes to a stop. I motion for Sombra to come with me, “Come on, I need you there just in case.”

He smiles, “Yes, of corse. Nothing should go wrong, hopefully. Although this is the first time the Totem will be brought together and tested.”

I step up onto the railing, and take a dive off the side.

I reach the ground just the same, and look up to see Sombra come back into physical form right above the ground. He reaches out a hoof as he lands, catching his new hat on his hoof, and slipping it over his head. We move through the gates, and into the town hall.

Brass nods at us as we pass into the room with Edis within. I summon the book from a pocket dimension, and flip it all the way to the final page.

I take a glance at it, but the knowledge upon it is incomprehensible to any but the God of Endings. I shake my head, and place it on his left hand. It’s held up so he could look down at it.

Sombra carefully slides the chalce full of dirt into his right hand, where it fits into place.

I look over at Sombra, and we share a nod. I move into the vision of Edis, and look him dead in the eye.

...

...

...

Nothing seems to happen. I try to turn my head to look at Sombra, but find that I can’t.

Within this single second of paralysis, I felt pain beyond the wildest imaginations of the worst masochist or sadist. I’ve been stabbed, shot, burned, even killed many times. Yet this pain was thousands of times greater than any of those combined. It’s almost impossible to describe. Hot, cold, warm, cool, ripping, stapling, cutting, mending, exploding, imploding, expanding, collapsing.

It ends as quick as it started, allowing me to fall on my knees. No scream comes, the pain is completely gone, yet the memory of that single second shall stay with me the rest of my life.

It’s then that I hear the familiar voice. Smug, yet still so bored at everything. The monotone voice of Edis speaks up, “My apologies, Raven, my timing on that spell was a bit off. The numbing and time stopping was supposed to occur as soon as your soul started separating, but I suppose it was a second late. Oh well, not like it matters in the long run.”

I look up to see him there, “Edis... how are you here?”

He smiles, no emotion behind it, “Well, my dear Raven, your decision turned me to stone. Exactly as I planned, if you decided to die. Either way, I told you this would happen, and I needed to be here for the end.”

I struggle back to my hooves, “What end?”

He motions all around him, “The end you have just inadvertently caused. You had to make everything complicated when you decided to die the first time. It’s all for the better anyway, the ending of Tel’la De Rus should you have lived would’ve been the most boring option. Now, no matter which of the two endings come, it will be fun to watch.”

I walk up closer to him, “What the hell do you mean by two endings? What the hell is going to happen?”

He waves a finger, “That is not for me to say, but for you to find out. For the ending you wish to get, it requires quite a lot of things to work together. The loyalty of Imperals and Orcs must uphold itself. Old enemies must come together to create death on land and in air. The intellect and courage of ponies and changelings. The strength of the normal citizen. The bravery of foals and the craftiness of liars. Every note must be sung. Every piece of the sky defend. Every gear must turn for optimal production. Every emotion felt and all the medicine used correctly. Bones must pierce the surface. All shadows must rise and follow the King of Fear.”

I look him right in the eye, “What are you talking about?”

He looks right back at me, his eyes glinting with hidden emotion, “You must hope that all shall go your way. If you fail and the other end comes, then the cycle continues. This wonderful cycle of beginnings and ends.” He looks into the sky, a tear falling from his eye, “I shall take my brother’s place in the Void to gain the power to repeat it all again, my own brother replacing me afterwards. My name shall be Edis no more, not the God of Endings! But Zalgo, the Great Destroyer! They shall scream my names as they are all destroyed once more! New Creators, new Elements, new universes brought into the never ending cycle!” He seems to be knocked down by some invisible force, and he starts to fade away quickly. He looks over at me, “Get the ending you need Raven. You do not know how much of an impact you will have over the next month. If you fail, the cycle continues. This is the first time there’s ever been a chance of Creators winning. I’ve set it all up for you to succeed, I gave you the tools, now you have to use them.”

I quickly rush to him as he fades away even more, “Edis, what cycle?!”

He laughs, the first joy he’s ever expressed, “Creation, Reality, Soul, Emotion, Humanity...” He looks at me as he fades away completely, “Bring an Ending...”

He is completely gone, passed onto his afterlife. Time starts once more, and I feel myself float into the air.

The rattling sound of bones comes from all over, drowning out the worried calls from Sombra.

Every pore on my body starts to bleed red mana. The Beast is leaving.

I manage to sense the skeletal body that stands next to me, the Beast flowing within.

I fall down as he exits me completely, giving me an excellent view of the tall skeleton standing there.

He may be a pony, but he is easily bigger that Celestia, almost the size of Ordirus within all of his art adaptations. He looks over himself, burning with a red glow.

Sombra sits there with his mouth wide open, “Vogrim.”

He overlooks himself and laughs, “Fool, I am not Vogrim. I am Beast, and I have found a much better vessel!”

Sombra stabs through Beast with his spear, causing very minor damage.

Beast knocks Sombra back, “This world shall soon be dead! All shall die and be brought back as my thrall!”

He dissapears in a flash.

———

Legions stand at the ready, red and gold armor shining in the light. Monstra Saeva stands in front of all of them. They all face a huge pony that glows the same crimson as his armor, “Death of the world, you say?”

“Everything shall be purged.”

Monstra takes a second to process what he hears. He suddenly shouts out, “Ave Beast!”

The legions behind him all shout as one, “Ave!”