• Published 27th Mar 2019
  • 3,554 Views, 8 Comments

Nightingale - FabulousDivaRarity



Sequel to "Fix A Heart". Silverstream and Gallus go on a date.

  • ...
1
 8
 3,554

Can You Be My Nightingale?

Author's Note:

I was not expecting a sequel to happen.
I was not expecting one to happen the next day.
I was not expecting both stories to come from Demi Lovato songs.

But, here we are.

Enjoy it! :pinkiehappy:

The sun was setting at the same time the moon was on the rise. In this twilight hour, things were changing in Equestria. Busy days were transitioning into calmer nights, families were gathering inside of their homes, and relaxation was beginning after a hard day’s work. The School Of Friendship was much like this in that way. The school day had ended hours ago, homework was finished, and studying had been done. Now, in the coming evening, all creatures could simply relax and enjoy themselves. Time was spent in the dormitories for most of the students.

This night, however, a Hippogriff and Griffon had snuck away from all of that for some much needed time alone. Gallus and Silverstream had flown off into Ponyville for the evening to pick up a few things for the evening they had planned.

About four months ago, Silverstream had found Gallus brooding about his lack of family and a home, and had comforted him. The interaction, which looked so small in time’s eye, had opened up a new side of their relationship. They remembered the surprised stares they had gotten from their friends that day, when they had come to dinner with wings intertwined. However, the shock hadn’t lasted long. Their friends had been very accepting of this possible budding romance before it even transitioned into anything real. It had made the actual transition much easier.

Their first real date had come about two weeks after that talk. They had gotten dinner at the Ponyville Cafe, enjoying greasy hayburgers and fries as they talked. They had kept things lighthearted at the time, not really talking about anything profound or deep. They discussed classes, gossip about their friends and professors, new books they had found and actually liked. They had laughed together, and when dinner was done, they ended up going to the Lake for a while, watching the moonlight shimmer over the water. It was there that deeper topics had been probed. Silverstream talked of missing Seaquestria, and Gallus, reminded of The Blue Moon Festival by the orb in the sky, had spoken about looking through windows and watching other Griffons with their families as a chick. Silverstream had put a taloned claw over his as he had sighed in wistfulness for what might have been, and when their eyes had locked after he looked up at her with surprise. A moment of connection had happened between them in that small act of compassion, a sort of electric feel had gone between them. The electricity had culminated in their first kiss. Silverstream had eventually pulled away with stars in her eyes, and Gallus, well, he had just smiled. But that was Gallus, simple and fairly unemotional. After a bit more time near the water, they had gone back to school.

About three dates after that, Gallus had asked Silverstream to be his Special Somegriff, and she had accepted.

Today’s date was rather casual in comparison to the first. They had packed a picnic, and were going to pick up a few extra things to make it great. The first stop was to Sugarcube Corner to pick up some cupcakes. They had packed a picnic basket of food beforehand, but getting dessert was important too. They also picked up plates and plastic silverware from a nearby store for the picnic, along with two candles, a lighter, and some cups.

They had taken their purchases, Silverstream carrying the basket and Gallus carrying the bags, to a secluded spot. There was a cliff that overlooked the horizon, surrounded by trees and a lush meadow. It was a nice spot, just to enjoy the outdoors, with no one really around to look at them or ruin the peace. Silverstream unpacked the basket, unloading the tartan picnic blanket on top and spreading it out for them to sit on. They got on once it was spread, as Gallus got out plates and cups and plasticware, while Silverstream unpacked their food- Daffodil and Daisy sandwiches, a salad, a few apples, and juice to drink. They saved the cupcakes for later.

Gallus lit the candles that they placed between them to keep the light going. They had considered lanterns, but candles seemed more romantic. Also, it gave Gallus an excuse to be a hero and sweep Silverstream off of her claws if everything somehow caught fire- not that he would ever say that aloud. With everything set up, they finally got to eat.

Silverstream bit into her sandwich and hummed in contentment. “This is so great! I haven’t eaten in forever!”

“You had lunch a few hours ago.” He pointed out.

“And a few hours is forever, so it counts!” She said, eating another bite.

Gallus shook his head and rolled his eyes before eating some of his own sandwich.

Silverstream took a drink of juice, and spoke again. “This place is beautiful! Where did you even find it?” She asked.

“I may have pretended to be sick once and gone flying around here so I could get out of a test…”

Silverstream grinned. “You sneak.”

He shrugged. “It paid off though, didn’t it?”

“Sure did!” Silverstream chirped.

They ate in silence a few moments, before a sudden sound broke the peace. They looked up to try and find the source of the sound. A bird, partly illuminated by the moon, was singing. Silverstream grinned ear to ear. She gave a small squeal and clapped. “Oh! It’s a nightingale! We learned about them in Professor Fluttershy’s class! They sing when the sun sets and during the night! I didn’t think it would sound so beautiful!”

Gallus smiled at her exuberance. “We got our own private concert. Pretty cool.”

Silverstream nodded, and munched her sandwich as the nightingale sang on. She and Gallus ate their sandwiches, and took some salad to eat as well, along with one apple each. They drank juice and enjoyed the music, occasionally talking as the music played on. When their food was eaten, they broke out the cupcakes. As they ate them, they spoke, as the Nightingale’s song became more of a background hum to them.

“I can’t remember the last time I had something that tasted this good!” Silverstream said.

Gallus quirked a brow. “You had cupcakes the other day.” He said.

She looked at him meaningfully. “Maybe it has to do with who I’m sharing them with.”

If Gallus had been a lesser creature, he might have blushed. Instead, he smiled faintly. “Good point.”

Silverstream sighed. “The last time I had something so good with some creature I loved was the last time I visited home. My Mom made such wonderful Kelp chips. We had them as a family.” She looked down. “I miss them.”

Gallus reached out and put his talons over her claw. “Do you remember what you told me when you came to see me before our date?”

She blinked. “I told you a lot of things.”

“You said that family is who you choose, and home is where your family is. I know it’s not the same as being on Mount Aris or Seaquestria, but you do have family here.”

She smiled, but it was tinged with sadness. “I know. I just wish my family could see all this, could be here, could meet you. And that you could see where I’m from and what it was like for me there.”

He shrugged. “Maybe I will someday. You never know.”

The smile was a bit more genuine. “I hope so. I remember the way they used to sing back home. I wish you could hear it. Sometimes I think of it before I go to bed.”

Gallus nodded, unsure of what to say.

“The nightingales are beautiful.” She said, pointing to one on the branch in a tree nearby.

It was brown, with a slightly whiter underbelly, speckled a bit near the neck. To Gallus, it reminded him of Gilda in color, with the obvious exception of the size and the speckled parts near the neck. It sent a pinch through him, thinking about that, but he didn’t know why. Maybe it was because Silverstream wasn’t the only one feeling a little homesick. He didn’t miss the other Griffons there, necessarily, but he did miss the town. The dirt paths, the old architecture, and the smell of things, even when they weren’t always pleasant. It wasn’t much, but it was home. The bird inspired a bit of his own nostalgia.

The cupcakes were soon gone, and Silverstream packed up their supplies, so that they could just enjoy the view together.

They sat and looked out at the moon together, the one Princess Luna raised daily. Gallus wrapped a wing around Silverstream, and she held his talon in her claw, leaning her head on his shoulder. It had been a very long Friday for them, with three tests, two quizzes, and a study session with their friends. They were understandably tired, but refused to cancel their date together because they needed the time together just as much as they needed sleep. Now, with the darkness covering them and their hunger sated, the sleep they were trying to run away from was catching up.

Silverstream yawned. “Gallus?” She asked, exhaustion creeping into her voice.

“Yeah?”

“Can we stay here together tonight? Until morning? I’m too tired to fly back to school.”

“Sure.”

Silverstream looked up at him tiredly. “Can I ask you something?”

“What?”

“Will you be my nightingale tonight?”

“Huh?”

“Will you sing something, or hum something to me so I can sleep? It helps me not miss home so much.”

Gallus did not sing, and he rarely hummed, but for her, sounding so tired and a little sad, he would try. He started humming to her as they lay down on the blanket together. Soon enough, Silverstream had fallen asleep. Gallus’ exhaustion soon caught up with him, and he wrapped a wing around his special somegriff before the songs of the nightingale and the warmth of Silverstream carried him off to sleep.

The two of them, together, were asleep under the glow of the moon and stars. It was the best date they had gone on yet.

Comments ( 7 )

You have a great talent for writing scenes. You capture moments extremely well. DO you think that a full story could be constructed from these scenes??

Pinkie Pie! What's the scouter say about the Fluff Level?
:pinkiegasp: IT'S OVER 9000!
WHAT?! THAT CAN'T BE RIGHT!

(Translation: I love this and it's going in my Good Stories list. Thank you and good job!)

Really well written.

Considering these story titles are based off Demi Lovato songs. Try titling a sequel set between this and Fix a Heart titled Confident. Where Gallus ask Silver to be his special somegriff.

About three dates after that, Gallus had asked Silverstream to be his Special Somegriff, and she had accepted.

Short, but cute.

I like it!

This is amazing story and I enjoy it,Thank you for the story!

Oh my Celestia now that was adorable and so sweet so it looks like those two finally went on a date and not only that have their first kiss and they have there a little picnic just only the two of them and it looks like silverstream is starting to feel homesick yeah I get the feeling sometimes when you go somewhere but Gallus reassure her that no matter where she is she always have somebody her friends and most importantly him and it looks like they decided just to stick around for the night once again this was a really sweet story keep up the good work

Login or register to comment