• Published 30th Mar 2019
  • 7,349 Views, 594 Comments

The 8th Rank - Winter Quill



To save what remains of the Griffon Kingdom, Celestia is going to have to give them a new leader. Unfortunately for Gilda, she's the only one available for the job.

  • ...
9
 594
 7,349

Closing Circles

Gilda wished that it was raining.

There was just something about the sound of rain that helped her think. The way it plinked against the clay tiles of the roof, or the heavy plops as it hit the ground outside, even the tapping as it blew against the one small window in her bedroom.

Instead, she found herself walking around in tight circles in the small space of her bedroom, wearing claw marks into the wooden floor as her mind raced. Occasionally, she would try dropping down to rest on her bed (which, like most griffons, was more of a nest made from blankets and feathers) but it didn’t do anything to help her come up with the answers she needed. Instead, she just found herself sprawled out on her back, tail twitching in annoyance as she brushed her talons through her chest feathers.

She had been so sure she understood what was going to happen with the princesses, only to have it thrown out the window and torn to shreds. Changelings. She had only heard about them second claw, from the stories about the invasion and the letters she got from Dash. It felt like they were something out of a storybook, but now they were suddenly very real, and she had to deal with them.

Gilda knew what Celestia wanted her to do, and what the guard said she should do, but that didn’t actually tell her what she needed to do. Between the two of them, she trusted the guard more, even if she had no reason to do so. But what if he was wrong in his view of the situation? She would be sending a clawful of griffons to their death.

Did she even have the right to do such a thing? To risk the lives of others on what could be a fool’s errand? The very thought filled her with a sickening dread. She could hardly be responsible for herself, let alone griffons she didn’t even know.

Back when she was in flight school, back in Equestria, she had been made to study history. It was a subject that she had ignored for the most part, as it was all pony history, but one thing that had been drilled into her head was that the princesses had to make the hardest decisions. It seemed like the sort of trite thing teachers always said, but now she was starting to understand what exactly Professor Ginkgo had meant by that.

Rolling her head to the side, Gilda’s eyes came to rest on a few pictures that were tacked up on the wall next to her bed. They were some of the few personal items she had, things that captured moments and memories. One was an old, faded image of herself on the day she left for flight school, being hugged by Gruff. The old bird had a smile on his beak and looked on the verge of tears. It was one of the very few times he had allowed himself to show just how much he really cared about her—about all the cuckoos he had raised—and it wasn’t one she had ever seen again. Next to it was a picture of herself and Rainbow Dash, taken on the last day of Flight School, then a picture of the pair of them, plus Pinkie Pie, taken only days after they had renewed their friendship. A friendship she had given up on after her horrible visit to Ponyville.

Then, just like now, she had been filled with doubt about what she should do. On one claw, she had wanted to fly back and do everything she could to mend her oldest friendship with one of the few creatures that seemed to care about her, even if it meant begging for forgiveness. On the other, she just wanted to leave Dash to her new friends and wallow in her self-pity. She had spent so long trying to make up her mind that eventually enough time had passed that there was no longer any reason to decide at all.

It was only when she had finally given up on the whole idea that Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie had showed up and helped her mend what she thought impossible to fix, though in retrospect she wished it hadn’t nearly cost Dash’s life. If she had been willing to take the risk, to make the choice, it might have been fixed years sooner. Instead, it took the blind luck of the pair of them wandering into town.

Now though, instead of saving a friendship, her choice would be risking the lives of other griffons. It was all too much for her, and any griff could see that she wasn’t cut out to be a princess. But that didn’t matter anymore, did it? Grandpa Gruff was right, she was a princess, and that meant that she had to make those decisions. Maybe they would turn out to be the wrong decisions, but she couldn’t let that stop her from making them.

The only way she would allow Celestia to march her army across the border was if there was no other choice. She wanted to believe the guard knew what he was talking about, so for the moment she would do as he suggested. She would find six griffons, and train them to sneak into the hive. That training would take time, time that she would use to go over all this intel herself, to make sure she wasn’t making a mistake.

Of course, she still had to find the griffons to send on that mission—though Gruff would be able to help with that—and she also had to put out a call for griffons to sign up for a royal guard. She was sure there would be a lot of griffons willing to sign up for that, especially when they found out that they would be paid. Though once she wrote it up, she had no idea how to make copies of it. The ponies had provided all the copies of the treaty to post up around the cities, but she wasn’t sure anyone in Griffonstone had a printing press. She would have to hire some griffons to copy it by claw, but that could wait until first thing in the morning.

Gilda climbed out of bed and moved towards the little desk that was tucked into the corner of the room. It was a bit too small for her, but it was the only thing she had to write on. She was carefully uncorking the inkwell when there was a knock on her door. “Gilda?” Greta asked, her voice muffled through the wood.

She sighed. “What is it now?”

The door creaked open and her friend peeked her head inside the room. “Sidereal wants to cast some security spells over the bakery,” she said.

“Fine,” she said with a flick of her wing. He was a guard after all, this was the sort of thing he was supposed to be an expert in. It wasn’t like she would understand any of it if she asked for details. “Did Skychart finally show up?”

“He’s cleaning up the kitchen,” she replied.

Gilda nodded. “Good. I’m going to need one of you to run a message down to Gruff, and the other will need to go talk to the princesses and get copies of everything they know about this changeling queen.”

“Skychart can take care of the princesses,” Greta replied, a tiny frown on her beak. She didn’t like dealing with Gruff, but apparently she would rather deal with him than a herd of alicorns.

“Good,” she said, picking up a quill and carefully dipping it into the inkwell. The letter to Gruff shouldn’t take more than a minute to write.

Greta waited until she was just about to press the quill against the parchment to speak. “Finished your speech yet?”

A thin line of ink was smeared across the page as Gilda yanked her paw back and snapped her head around to glare at the hen. “You’re still my employee, I can fire you,” she snarled, jabbing a talon in her direction.

“But you won’t,” Greta said with a snicker, then slipped back out the door, letting it close behind her.

Gilda just watched her go, then slowly turned back around to look at the ruined parchment. She hadn’t planned on writing a speech for tomorrow’s ceremony, and it wasn’t like the griffons would sit and listen to her prattle on like the other princesses. Her plan was still to take it by wing, make it short, and just be done with it. Anyways, there were more important things to worry about than a silly speech.


While Gilda had never been afraid to speak in front of others, there was a difference between a lot of griffons, and the thousands that had been crammed into the town square. They filled every available space on the ground, and were perched on all the buildings surrounding the square. She had known that griffons were flocking to town, with the crowd in the square growing by the hour, but it seemed like every griffon in the Equestria had found a way to attend the ceremony.

And stranger yet, they were all sitting silently, looking at the small stage that had been set up next to her bakery. It wasn’t much more than a platform with a short podium that shimmered from the spells cast upon it, but that was all that they needed. Otherwise the stage was empty, waiting for noon when things would begin, but it still held their undivided attention.

Gilda was standing just inside the door to the bakery, trying to read over the small card that Twilight Sparkle had given her that morning. While she could say what she wanted when the time came, there were things that she had to say before she was officially crowned.

The rest of the princesses were waiting inside with her, along with her friends. It was good to know that no matter what happened, Greta and Skychart were there for her. Greta was constantly fussing with Gilda’s feathers, making sure they were properly in place and touching up her makeup every time she moved. Greta had also insisted that Gilda wear one of her silk scarfs, saying that she needed something more to look like a proper lady. Frankly, it made her feel silly, but she trusted Greta when it came to looking pretty, so she wore it. The scarf was being held in place by a golden brooch, which had a dark blue gem on its face. It was a piece that she had been given by an old hen who said it dated back to King Guto, so it felt right to wear it. After the ceremony, it would also become her key to the money wagon.

Skychart was fluttering around the room, doing anything that any of them needed. For the moment, that meant sitting down and talking with Twilight Sparkle, who seemed to have most of the nerves out of the whole group. From what Gilda could tell, she had missed the Crystal Empire’s version of this ceremony due to some sort of magic mirror, and she was worried something would happen to make her miss this one as well.

“It’s time,” Celestia said as she stood up from her seat, setting down her half-filled teacup on the table. She walked towards the door of the shop, her tail billowing out behind her and shining like the dawn. Princess Luna was right after her, the stars in her mane twinkling brightly. Cadence and Twilight Sparkle followed right after them (though with significantly less impressive manes). They each walked past Gilda and out into the square.

Gilda stayed back in the shop, waiting for the moment she was called forward, and hoping it wouldn’t take too long.

In moments both her friends were at her side. “You look good,” Greta said.

“Thanks to you,” Gilda replied, reaching up to gently adjust the scarf back into place as it shifted against her feathers. “You’ve both been irreplaceable these last few weeks. Thank you.”

Skychart blushed, but Greta let out a snort and made a show of rolling her eyes, though there was also a smile on her beak. “I wasn’t going anywhere. Working for a princess comes with a huge raise,” she teased.

“Backdated, of course,” Skychart added with a firm nod.

“No,” she snapped, glaring at the pair of them.

The three of them looked at each other, each one trying to look as serious as they could, but the stallion broke first, letting out a snort which turned into a laugh. It was enough to let the other two start laughing as well. It felt good to laugh, even with just how important everything was. It was a release, one that she hadn’t even realized she needed.

When the laughter finally trailed off, she found herself being hugged by Skychart. “We’re not going anywhere,” he said.

Greta rolled her eyes again, before pulling the pony off Gilda. “No hugging,” she scolded. That, along with no singing, was the first rule that had been laid down when he had started working at the bakery.

She was going to say something about it when she heard her name being called from outside. Taking a deep breath, she rose to her full height, and with head held high stepped out of her bakery and into the square. It was only a few short steps to reach the stage, though with so many eyes upon her, she felt like it took an hour to walk them.

Celestia and Luna were standing in the center of the stage, a large empty space between them. Twilight and Cadence were flanking them, but stood towards the back of the stage. They had all turned to look at her, each one smiling as she walked onto the stage and took her place between the two elder mares, feeling dwarfed by the pair of them.

“There is no oath to become a princess, no fidelity to be sworn,” Luna said. The words were directed at Gilda, but the magic amplified them across the square.

Celestia followed a moment later. “All that is required is a promise to your griffons, a promise that you will lead them as best you can.”

Taking in a deep breath, Gilda stood as tall as she could, her keel thrust forward and wings lifting upwards to make herself look just that much larger as spoke the words she had been rehearsing all morning. “Princess Celestia, Princess Luna, and all the griffons of the Griffon Kingdom,” she paused for a moment, her voice sounding strange as it echoed around the square. “I promise to you, all of you, that I will lead you with all of my strength and kindness.”

Gilda’s crown rose from somewhere, glowing in Celestia’s magic. It was the same crown she had been wearing before, but now it felt like it was taking on its true meaning. “Then it is with great pleasure that I crown you Princess Gilda of the Griffon Kingdom,” she said, smiling as she placed the crown on Gilda’s head.

The crowd erupted into a cheer that seemed to grow stronger by the moment. It was like a dam had been broken as it rolled out over the square and across Griffonstone. There were whistles and general shouts of joy as well, though Gilda couldn’t help but hear the boos that were mixed in with the rest. They were nearly drowned out, but she still heard them.

It took some time for the cheering to die down, but once it did, Gilda was able to say the last part of this little play. “Luna, Celestia, thank you for entrusting me with the task. I will not let my griffons down.”

That brought a second cheer, though it only lasted a few moments this time. Just long enough for Celestia and Luna to step back, falling in line with the other princesses, leaving Gilda alone at the front of the stage.

Taking in another deep breath, she reached up and adjusted her scarf slightly, then brushed her talons over her keel before she started to speak. “There’s not much I can say to you that you don’t already know. Things have been bad for all of us for a very long time. It will get better from here, but it will take time, effort, and above all work, from each and every one of us. We can make something more than what we had, something more than what came before us. It won’t be easy, and it won’t be quick, but it will be worth it.

“While the ponies have given us food, medicine, and more, it’s not everything we need. We must make sure that every griffon has a roof over their head by the time the winter comes, so no one will be left out to freeze in the snow. Not just here in Griffonstone, but in Garnet Point, Grover’s Gap, and every village in-between,” even though she had no idea how she was going to do that, other than by going door to door and talking with every griffon who had a home that was in one piece to try and get them to help their neighbors.

“For now, I want you all to start looking around and thinking about what you can do to make things better, and what you can be paid to do.” That brought several cheers from all around the square. “No one is asking you to do this work for free, and no one should be expected to,” she paused trying to think of what to say next. There was so much more that probably needed to be said, but she didn’t know what those were.

“Today… Today is the start of something new for all of us, and I will do everything I can to make sure it’s something worthwhile.” It sounded lame to her ears, but she couldn’t think of any other way to end it. Maybe next time she should write a speech.

With that said, she took a few steps back as one last cheer came from the crowd, a few even bowed to her, though thankfully the rest of the crowd didn’t copy them. She couldn’t image how stupid so many griffons would look while trying to bow, let alone to her!

The five of them stood there for a few more moments before they started stepping off the stage. First Twilight and Cadence, then Luna and finally Celestia, leaving her the last one remaining. She took a moment to look back at the crowd, at all the griffons that were now depending on her to lead them, to be the first real leader they had in generations. Now she just had to work out how to do it.

Still, she gave them a smile as she stepped down off the stage, walking back towards the entrance to the bakery. She was surprised to see Gallus and another griffon standing a dozen wings away, being held back by one of the pony guards that had been posted for the ceremony. The moment he saw her, the cyan tom perked up his ears and gave her a smile.

She sighed, wondering what Gruff had sent him for this time. “You can let him in,” she called to the guard before pushing open the door to her shop. She wasn’t exactly sure what she was expecting to happen when she came back inside, but to see the other princesses sitting back down at the table wasn’t it. That just felt too small compared to what had just happened.

Gallus came in a few moments after her, followed by another griffon. He was the larger of the two, with dark brown feathers and black fur that made his bright gold eyes and beak stand out. His wings here held tightly to his side as he glanced around, first at her, then towards the pony princesses.

“Who’s this?” she snapped at Gallus.

“Some Canterlot griffon that wanted to talk to you,” he replied.

The strange griff pressed one claw against his chest. “My name is Edmund, and it’s a pleasure to meet you, Your Highness. My father is Ambassador Greycrest, and he wished for me to speak to you on his behalf.”

She just stared at him for a few moments, her tail sweeping behind her legs. She had no idea who this Greycrest was, but if he was an ambassador, he might be someone who could help her. She was about to ask just who he was an ambassador for when Sidereal stepped out of the kitchen.

“Princesses, the guards have captured a changeling drone,” he stated in a bland tone that did nothing to reflect how important that was.

Instantly, the whole room was on their feet, but as Gilda had never sat down, she was the quickest off the mark, reaching the guard with one powerful leap across the room. “Where, and how?” she asked the guard.

“He turned himself in and wishes to speak with princess Gilda,” he explained.

“I would advise not speaking with the drone,” Luna stated. “It could be a trap.”

Twilight pushed forward, though the space around the door was getting quite cramped. “He could be like Thorax. We should at least listen to what he has to say,” she replied.

Gilda had no idea who Thorax was, but his name was enough to silence the other princesses, though she doubted it would last for long. With what little she knew about changelings, she didn’t think one could be a threat to her, not when she had so many ponies at her back. “Where is the changeling?” she asked.

“Out back,” Sidereal replied, then walked carefully backwards through the door and towards the kitchen. Gilda followed him outside, with every creature else not far behind. There were three guards standing next to the money wagon, the tips of their spears pointed at a bound changeling that was sitting on the ground between them.

The drone looked nothing like Gilda had expected, she had been thinking they would be bugs, and while it did look something like a bug, it looked more like a pony. It was dark grey, the skin smooth to the point of nearly shining, large eyes that glowed a soft bluish green, with a single curved horn rising from his head. In the dark she might have mistaken it for a pony, though the thick fangs jutting from his mouth might have given him away.

Gilda walked up to the bound drone, stopping only a wing away from him. It seemed like it might have been closer than the guards would have liked, as they shifted closer to her, not quite between her and the drone, but close enough that it would only take a step to separate them.

“You are the griffon princess?” the drone asked, a slight buzzing sound underlying his voice.

“I am,” she replied.

The drone nodded his head, the light glittering off his eyes. “I have been sent with a message from my Queen.”

A part of Gilda wondered if being a princess meant dealing with crazy surprises on a daily basis, because it was starting to feel like that. “And what is this message?”

“The Queen asks for parley.”