• Published 16th Mar 2019
  • 1,781 Views, 86 Comments

If Chaos prevails... - The Marshmallow



Discord won, and now suffers through boring days as king of Equestria. Until he has an idea to shake things up a bit...

  • ...
4
 86
 1,781

3 - Him

In a few minutes, they were on their way. The tears were washed off, Celestia mane was quickly magically combed by Sunset shimmer while Twilight Sparkle helped her wear her regalia (excluding her long lost crown). The two students led the way through the corridor directly carved in the rock, while some ever-burning magical torches provided the necessary source of lighting for the underground complex. Celestia followed the two preparing herself, as she would soon have to show the utmost confidence in front of the others.

The meeting room wasn't far from the Princess' chamber. It was a small circular space mostly occupied by an equally circular table and 9 modest seats surrounding it, much less fancy than what used to be her castle, but quite enough for their needs. All the seats were already occupied, except three. When Celestia arrived, she was ready. Her head was raised, her steps were steady, and her figure was so imposing that it made everyone almost forget she had lost the ability to cast any magic (although she could still fly and benefitted of her link with the earth). Sunset presented her to the group "Friends, Princess Celestia is here." And Twilight Sparkle followed suit "We can start our meeting". They took the remaining seats, then.

Celestia had Sunset at her left and Twilight at her right. Further right, there was the leader and trainer of the resistance's Militia. A vigorous white stallion with a blue mane, who went by the name of Shining Armor. Next, there was the coordinator of the supply network, the one responsible for providing food for the whole group and to ponies in need. Although she only recently succeeded her predecessor, her grandmother, she was an extremely capable and reliable mare, with an orange fur and a blond mane. Same lamented an excess of apples in their diet, but what could they have expected when their main suppliers came for the main apple producers in Equestria, her cutie mark was some actual apples and even her name was Applejack?

Further to the right, there were, one after another, a white unicorn with a purple, elegantly combed mane, an elegantly dressed white unicorn with a light blue mane and a cream-coloured earth pony with a tie and a slick back black mane. They did not coordinate any actual team, but instead Fancy Pants was the main contacts with the Elites of Equestria, Filthy Rich was the main contact with the business world, and rarity navigated both worlds. The three of them were also the main financial contributors to the cause. Finally, The least seat (between Sunset Shimmer and Filthy Rich) was occupied by the head of the research department: a pale yellow mare with a red and purple mane and a pair of glasses, named Moondancer.

With Twilight Sparkle, previous head of the research department and Celestia's right hand, Sunset Shimmer, head of the Problem solving department (quite a necessary one when once a week many ponies needed help cleaning up after Discord's madness), and Princess Celestia herself, the leader of the resistance, the circle was complete.

"I understand..." As usual, the princess spoke first "That yesterday night we received important news. Could we start with that?" She never gave orders, only made gentle requests. Quite rarely one of them was denied, though.

"Sure, Princess!" Fancy Pants spoke first, and no one wanted to interrupt him. "Apparently, Discord is in search of a Bride."

"Or a Groom", intervened rarity

"Or a Groom indeed", the stallion then continued, "And ordered every city to present in a week time a delegation of the fairest and the most handsome, among which he would make his choice..." he thought a little bit, then thought it would be necessary to add some more details "The participation is in theory completely voluntary, but in all official communications it has been heavily hinted that each town is expected to send a good number of ponies."

"We came back from Canterlot as soon as we heard the news" It was Rarity, this time, which together with Fancy Pants had been spending a few days in the capital to collect information. What they received was much more than expected, even though it was by no means a secret. "We want to know your opinion!"

"My opinion...?" Celestia was for a few moments deep in her thoughts, before answering "It is quite like him, to organize a marriage with such short notice." There was a pinch of irony in the Princess' words, although the tone soon became slightly more grim, "And the poor taste of forcing a pony to marry him... That's quite like him too."

All eyes were still on the Princess, while the room stood in silence for a few seconds "Was my joke that bad?" She tried to sport a small smile while saying this "Or do you want me to suggest a plan of action?" At this second option, all the other started nodding. Celestia let out a small sigh. It was quite clear what the most logical response would be... but she didn't have the heart to suggest it. Her gaze moved now across the room, looking at everyone's eyes, one by one "What do you think we should do?"

"We should have one of us become his Bride", suggested promptly Shining Armor. A few ponies exchanged uneasy looks. Most agreed, but it was certainly not a comfortable option. Shining Armor didn't see it like that "I'm ready to volunteer for this!" This attracted a few surprised looks, and Twilight especially seemed especially worried. But, after all, her dedication to the cause (and his confidence in being among the handsome ones) was well known among the Resistance.

Celestia wasn't surprised in the slightest "Very well. Has anyone any other idea?" She left some time, half-hoping for an answer. Any answer. But as expected, there was nothing "So, could you raise your hoof if you agree?" Before she could even end the phrase, 3 hooves shot up. They were Shining Armor, Rarity and Sunset Shimmer. Filthy Rich and Applejack were next, easily fending off their uneasiness.

The majority had already formed, the remaining members could very well just stay silent, and gracefully accept the decision. But, although they were strongly uneasy with the option, they all recognized it was the best they could do. There was a small chance that Discord could really fall in love with one of the candidates, maybe enough to have them be an influence. But even if that wasn't the case, they would still have someone able to keep an eye on Discord himself. He was so elusive that even just being able to meet him in a context different from Evil-deity-wrecking-havoc would have been quite the accomplishment. also, the downside would affect a single pony. It was a necessary sacrifice. Twilight raised her hoof, finally. And right after her, it was Moondancer and fancy Pants turn too.

"Very well." As much as she wouldn't have liked to see any of her little ponies in Discord arms, that was, as a matter of fact, the only option. So it was time to decide on how that would have worked "I'm quite confident we have enough influence in Ponyville to have any of our members appointed in the delegation, even bypassing any other requirement" Any average looking pony would have been fine "For now, I believe we should go for a fully voluntary approach. All those willing to go, and only those willing to go, should go" Twilight, Moondancer and Fancy pants nodded. "If the volunteers should be too numerous, we will have to select the candidates most likely to be chosen." Everyone nodded at this. it seemed most reasonable. Still, there was an uncomfortable question to be addressed...

"And if they are too few?" Shining Armor voiced this option. Although he believed himself a very strong candidate, with more people there would probably be more chances.

Filthy rich went next: "And what if the volunteers just... Not seem good enough?"

For a few, long moments there was silence. As much as Celestia managed to seem confident, Twilight and Sunset well realized that she was quite uncomfortable with having to force anyone to act against their will. At the same time, denying the option entirely would have been irresponsible. The purple pony decided she would be the one to help her out of her tight spot "In that case, we might have to convince some excellent candidates to volunteer. As those people might very well have to act as Discord Bride or Groom, ponies that are too much against the idea might not be able to keep their act" It was quite reasonable and at the same time compassionate.

Celestia gave a little smile at her student, now motivated to do her part, too "Also, we should exclude those who are married already" That was very much likely already a rule Discord's selection process, she hoped, but she couldn't be sure "And those that are in a committed relationship, too"

Fancy Pants breathed a sigh of relief. He and Fleur De Lis had been together for years, but he always refused to be married by any authority different from Celestia's. He was that hopeful Discord reign would end in his lifetime, after all. He was glad to know that this wouldn't backfire, as both for their look and their standing either of them would have been excellent candidates themselves.

"Should we vote on this, now?" Celestia's voice echoed again in the room, prompting the ponies to decide. Twilight, Applejack, Rarity, Fancy Pants and Moondancer agreed immediately to the option, soon followed by the other three. As the majority was defined, they would have no benefit in suggesting a harder approach, after all.

"Very well. Right after the end of the meeting, we should spread the news to all our groups" It would have been quite fast, thanks to Spike's help "But for now, Sunset..." She looked for a moment at her student "how is the cleaning going in Fillydelphia, after last Sunday?"

"I've been there in the early morning..." As one of the only two unicorns in the resistance capable of using teleportation as a reliable mean of travelling, Sunset was the best fit for a group that operated in many different cities. And she was quite methodical too, when needed, as she quickly took out all the notes she prepared "The few buildings that were damaged are now fine. Many crops were brought to life, though, and managed to run away. We might need to provide them with some supplies for the time being. Do you think it's possible, Applejack?"

"We ain't short on apples!" The orange mare answered promptly. An unsurprising answer "For hay, though, we'll have to do some rationin'..."

Author's Note:

I thought quite a bit about the characters that would sit at the table, and how did I see them characterized in context. I hope I did a decent job with that... :twilightblush:

Next time... who will the volunteers be? :ajsmug:

With Love,
The Marhsmallow