• Published 16th Mar 2019
  • 2,799 Views, 282 Comments

Star Wars Jedi Lyra: The Search - currentlemon



Jedi Padawan Lyra Heartstrings scours the war-torn galaxy in search of her long-lost home.

  • ...
9
 282
 2,799

Chapter 30

It had been some time since Lyra had taken in the crisp, clean air on Dantooine. After traveling to city-planets like Taris and Coruscant, as well as planets with different climates such as Alderaan and Ord Mantell, she missed the cool breezy atmosphere of a farm planet.

And it wasn’t just the weather she missed. The teeming life energies that inhabited the planet flowed around her through the Force. From the inhabitants that populated the Enclave, to the animals that populated the wildlife. The Living Force was such a wonderful thing to feel. And it made Lyra beam like a shimmering star.

“Ah, home sweet home,” she muttered.

“Wow, so cool!”

Lyra’s ears perked up. Spinning around, she spotted several ponies wandering around the Enclave’s hangar bay, admiring the view. “Hey, what’s this orb thing over here?” asked one Pegasus stallion as he snatched a nearby floating remote droid. His action, however, caused one of the human dock workers to run up and yell at him.

“Hey, what the heck do you think you’re doing!” berated the worker. “That droid isn’t a damn toy! Put it down this instant!”

Upon realizing he had upset the human, the Pegasus stallion few to the dock worker and gave back the remote droid. Despite apologizing profusely, the human continued to scold the Pegasus for interrupting the droid’s work to the point where his yelling caught the attention of other workers and citizens.

Seeing this, Captain Platinum Impact—who was at her daughter’s side—groaned. “Oh, great. I was afraid something like this would happen,” she said with a grumble.

Lyra chuckled. “Oh, don’t mind them. It’s not every day you get to see a group of newly discovered alien species.”

“But didn’t you live here for ten years? Why would the locals be surprised at the sight of another pony?”

“Simple. For years, these locals have only seen one pony, me. But now, a whole group of colorful ponies show up out of nowhere? Who wouldn’t be excited to see us!” Lyra said with a wide grin.

Captain Impact sighed. “Oh, this is just great! I was hoping that we’d avoid something like this, but it looks like we’re the talk of the town.”

“Don’t worry, mom. Not everyone in the Enclave is like this. Most just keep to themselves. Though that’s partially because this place is only meant for Jedi, not the locals.”

“Yes, you mentioned earlier that this planet was used to train others like you. But I heard from your lizard friend that there was more to this place than just this Enclave. Can you elaborate on that?”

“Sure! You see, this planet is special in the Republic’s eyes. Unlike most worlds in galaxy, aside from the Jedi Enclave, nothing particularly interesting happens here. There are no secret laboratories, or any government buildings here. Its only purpose is for farming.”

“What? A planet that’s only used for farming. How in Celestia’s name does that work?” asked Platinum.

“As well as you expect it to be. Some planets in the galaxy aren’t suited for agriculture, so the Republic inhabits planets that are. Dantooine is just one of them though. Across the galaxy, there are hundreds more worlds out there that are used just to grow food.”

“Sounds mundane.”

“Maybe. But somepony has got to grow the food somewhere. I mean, it’s not like you can actually grow anything on a city-planet like Coruscant.”

“That’s a load of horse-apples!” barked Platinum. “With this type of technology, I’m certain somepony figured out how to grow food anywhere in the galaxy!”

“I don’t think it is as simple as you believe, mom,” Lyra replied as she looked around the hangar bay. “Huh, that’s odd. Master said that the two ponies we rescued on Coruscant should be here somewhere. But I don’t see them at all. I wonder where they are?”

Suddenly, Lyra was interrupted by a loud scream. At first, she thought that one of the ponies had gotten into trouble again; however, her assumption was far-fetched. Near the entrance to the Jedi Enclave, she spotted her master talking to a familiar face.

It was the Jedi Lore Keeper, Master Dorak. And he wasn’t alone. Alongside him were the two ponies Lyra and her friends had rescued: Cotton Swirl and Stalwart Shield.

“Captain, over here!” shouted Cotton who was waving her hoof at both Lyra and Captain Impact. Although her shouting earned a scolding from Stalwart and Master Dorak, it did get the attention of everypony present. Pretty soon, every single pony galloped to join Cotton’s side.

“Looks like those two are doing well,” said Lyra.

“Indeed. Your team did an excellent job in rescuing those two. Though I admit, if you hadn’t went down during that fight, you could have rescued all of us at once.”

Lyra ears drooped. “Oh, come on, Mom. Do you really have to bring that up? It’s already bad enough that I nearly lost my life! And besides, I rescued everyone eventually!”

“Don’t let your master hear you say that dear. From what he told me, you got one heck of a scolding from your superiors after you botched everything up,” scolded Platinum. “When you fail a mission, excuses don’t mean jack. Sure, you may have gotten a second chance, but that was only because of pure luck.”

Lyra groaned. As much as her mother was correct, she really didn’t want to be lectured right now. Especially with the meeting between the Jedi Council coming up soon. And so like a child, her eyes drifted away from her parent, searching desperately for anything that could take her mind off her troubles.

Then, she found it.

“Honey are you listening to me?” berated Platinum.

“Sorry, mom, but I gotta go! I think my Master is calling for me,” Lyra replied as she trotted away from her shouting mother. Now free for the most part, the young Padawan shifted her attention to the only pony who hadn’t joined the others.

“Hey, Sweetie!”

Turning her gaze toward the Omega’s boarding ramp, the Padawan waved at Sweetie Drops who—unlike the others—chose to stay near the ship. She wasn’t alone though. Chessk was sitting beside her. T3-G4 had also joined them as well, though it more preoccupied in repairing the ship.

“Ah, so nice of you to join us, little Jedi,” greeted Chessk. “I figured you’d be together with your kin, celebrating their reunion with the two equines over there. Yet you came here instead.”

“The same thing can be said about her,” Lyra replied as she looked at the mare in question. “Hey, Sweetie. Why are you here all alone? The others are seeing Cotton and Stalwart right now. Don’t you want to say hi to them too?”

Sweetie did not answer. Rather, she ignored the Padawan and looked away. “You’re being rude, creamy one,” said Chessk who grew annoyed by the mare’s rude attitude. “I know you aren’t happy right now, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t ignore your rescuer.”

“Sweetie’s isn’t happy?” Lyra asked with a tilt her head. “Why is that?”

Chessk sighed. “The creamy one and I were at the cockpit with the human before we made landfall. Your Jedi Master was with us at the time, and he… well, he taught us about the Jedi Order and the teachings that you follow.”

Lyra flinched. “How… how much did he tell you?”

“Enough to make your friend upset,” replied Chessk. Looking at Lyra straight in the eye, the Trandoshan let out another sigh before his lips curled into a frown. “She spoke to me, little Jedi. Her words honest and true. She does not approve of the Jedi teachings, nor does she believe that the Order should separate children from their families.”

T3-G4, who abruptly stopped working, turned toward the Trandoshan and let out a loud beep. “It’s the truth, droid. To develop a child’s power in the Force, the Jedi take children away from their families,” said Chessk. “They believe that forming attachments with others can lead toward the Dark Side.”

“Which is a load of horse-apples!” Sweetie blurted out loud. “It doesn’t make sense. Why would a peacekeeping order think that having family or friends can turn you evil?”

“Take it easy, creamy one,” Chessk said calmly. Even though Sweetie had lashed out in anger, he remained calm and was able to soothe the angry mare. “I understand your frustration, but there is no need for you to start yelling.”

“He’s right, Sweetie. I know the Jedi Order is strange, but we have a good explanation for our teachings,” said Lyra.

“Oh, come on, Lyra! I understand that you’re indebted to them, but even you should realize how ridiculous your Order’s teachings are! What is the Captain going to think when she hears about this, huh? Do you really think she’ll be willing to let you go again after she spent so many years looking for you?”

Lyra’s eyes widened in surprise. Although Sweetie made a good point, she was shocked that the mare would bring up her mom as an argument against the Jedi Order. And though it was enough to make the young Padawan scowl at her friend, she kept her anger in check by reciting the first line of the Jedi Code in her head.

“You speak highly of family, creamy one. I take it that your culture values such a virtue,” said Chessk.”

“Equestrian society values friendship, Chessk! It’s what built our nation for over a millennia!” Sweetie replied.

“Friendship? Your society was built around friendship?”

T3-G4 let loose a couple of static sounds at Sweetie. “Looks like I’m not the only one here who is confused,” Chessk said. “I am not sure what you are getting at, creamy one. How does a species, let alone a nation, build a society around such a ludicrous concept?”

“Ludicrous? There's nothing ludicrous about it!” rebuked Sweetie Drops. It’s as if she took Chessk’s comment as an insult. “As ponies, we put our faith in our friends and family. Not some goddess or some stupid order that things having friends is a bad thing.”

Chessk scowled. “Again, watch your tongue, creamy one. Though your anger is justifiable, the Jedi have been around for thousands of years. You should be honored that one of your own is a part of the Order.”

Sweetie’s frown grew wider as she stared back at Chessk with a scowl of her own. Eventually, she scoffed and trotted away from the group to join the other ponies without saying another word. “She’s… she’s really mad, isn’t she?” asked Lyra.

“You can say that again. Kriff, it looked like she was about to blow a casket.”

“Huh?” Turning around, Lyra spotted her captain descending from the ship’s boarding ramp. “H-Hider? Why, how… you were onboard the entire time?”

“Yes, I was. Well, to be honest, I did follow the old man out, but I came back onboard after realizing I left something important behind,” Hider explained. His eyes then drifted to Private Sweetie Drops, who had gone ahead and rejoined the other ponies. “Didn’t think I’d hear the Private go on a tirade though. But in her defense, I’d probably get mad too if someone questioned the ethics of my home planet."

T3-G4 replied with a couple of snarky beeps. “Yeah, I heard that too, tin can. And before you say anything, yes, I believe the concept of a society built around friendship is a stupid thing,” Hider replied. He then turned back to Lyra. “Seriously, kid, your species must be a bunch of idiots if they think a nation would last with that kind of ideology. Especially, in a galaxy that can be so unforgiving at times.”

“Yet they survived, human,” said Chessk. “The equines you see in front of you are proof that their society exists despite their questionable ideology.”

“Only because no one has discovered their planet yet,” Hider rebuked. “If the Exchange or the Mandalorians knew about their whereabouts, they probably wouldn’t last long. No offense, kid.”

Lyra sighed. “There is some truth in what you say. But I wouldn’t count out my species right away. We still have one pony who can defend the populace.”

“Are you talking about that Princess of yours?” asked Hider, to which Lyra nodded in response. “Man, I don’t know what’s weirder. The fact that this Princess has lived for over a millennia, or the fact that she can move a kriffing sun!”

“I’m telling the truth, Hider! Princess Celestia has been Equestria’s ruler and peacekeeper for centuries! There’s no way she would let my home fall to any invaders,” Lyra argued back.

“But isn’t that a bad thing?” asked Chessk. “If it is true that she has been your home world’s peacekeeper for a thousand years, that would make your kin over reliant on her.”

Hider nodded his head, agreeing with the Trandoshan. “Yeah, the big guy has a good point. I mean, what’s the nation going to do when their Princess isn’t going to be there for them or if another species doesn’t take kindly to their beliefs? Heck, we saw that happen when your mom and the other ponies got captured. They literally trusted and even tried to befriend the Exchange on first contact. And without questioning their motives either!”

T3-G4 let loose a loud whirl at Hider. “Yeah, I know. If our little Private heard me just now, she’d probably cripple me. But broken legs or not, it doesn’t change the fact I’m right.”

Lyra sighed. “I guess the Jedi Code and the Order’s ethics aren’t the only ones that has its share of criticism. But as good of a point you all may have, please don’t bring this up to the other ponies. The last thing want is to dissolve our trust between them.”

Padawan.

Lyra blinked. For a second, she could’ve sworn that someone had tried to use the Force on her. However, she soon realized that her master appeared to be looking right at her. “Oh, it looks like the Council is ready for us. Come on, guys. We can’t keep them waiting.”

“Wait, how do you even know they’re ready for us. No one has even talked to us yet!” said Hider. In response, T3-G4 gave the captain a bleep. “Oh, right. Force powers. Guess I shouldn’t be questioning the obvious by now.”

For the first time in a while, Lyra let out a chuckle. It was good to hear a joke from her captain, even if it wasn’t intentional. Still, between Sweetie berating her over the Jedi Code and the upcoming meeting with the Council, she needed something to cheer her up.

As her giggle died down, she and the entire crew left the Omega behind to rejoin the ponies at the Enclave entrance. Once they’ve arrived, Lyra was greeted by her mother, Master Dorak, and Cotton Swirl, who immediately snuggled the Padawan into her hooves.

“Here’s the hero of the hour!” the mare shouted as she galloped close to Lyra and squeezed her in a tight hug. “Oh, aren’t you the most adorable little Jedi ever! Yes you are! Yes you are!”

“Cotton, behave yourself. And for Celestia’s sake, leave my daughter alone!” yelled Platinum who shoved and slapped the mare away from her daughter.

Master Dorak blinked. “I apologize, Captain Impact, but was hitting that mare really necessary?” he asked.

“Don’t worry about her. Cotton may be a fool of a mare, but she’s surprisingly tougher than most.”

“Excuse me? Don’t you dare think I’ll let you get away with this, Platinum!” Cotton shouted as she applied magic on her cheek to soothe the pain.

Master Darran sighed. “Getting back on topic, the Council wishes to speak with you all immediately. And before you say anything, that includes you my Padawan.”

“Figures,” Lyra muttered.

“Padawan, I heard that! I know your last experience with the Council was an unpleasant one. But when the Council requests your appearance, it is always of great importance.”

“Yes, I know, master. I’m sorry if I sounded rude. But if I may ask, who is attending this meeting?”

“Masters Vrook, Zhar, and Vandar will be in attendance, as well as Master Kavar from the High Council on Coruscant. He escorted both Cotton and Stalwart here by ship, so he too will be a part of this meeting.”

“Question,” said Cotton Swirl. “Why are alien names so weird?”

Lyra and Platinum facehoofed.

“Seriously? Out of all the things you want to ask, that’s the only question you can come up with?” shouted one pony from the group.

“What, I was being serious!” Cotton whined. “Come on, I’m not the only pony here who’s thinking about this, aren’t I?”

“If you don’t shut up for the next five minutes, weird alien names will be the least of your worries,” threatened Platinum. With her point made clear, the Guard Captain apologized before the Jedi Masters. “Please forgive my friend’s rude behavior. She tends to get carried away when something interests her.”

“You sound as if you are familiar with your companion’s antics,” said Master Dorak.

“I’ve known her since I was a filly. She’s a headache at times, but a good mare deep down. And if it wasn’t for her, I wouldn’t have met my husband.”

“Wait, really?” asked Lyra, showing some curiosity.

“A story for another time, honey. For now, we shouldn’t keep your masters waiting. Where are we supposed to meet them anyway?”

“The Council Chambers are not too far from here. If you would be so kind as to follow me, I shall lead you all on where you need to go,” said Master Dorak as he turned around and entered the Enclave alongside Master Darran. Lyra was about to follow them but stopped when she spotted Sweetie Drops among the ponies. For a second, the two made eye contact; however, any chance of conversation was thrown away when the Private looked away and proceeded to leave alongside their kin.

“Looks like the little Private is still mad,” said Hider with a playful smile. “Any bets that she might lash out at the Jedi Masters?”

T3-G4 beeped in reply. “Oh, really? Well, considering her military background, I’d wager the little Private’s gonna keep her mouth shut for the entire meeting.”

“Are you two serious?” asked Chessk in disgust.

“What? There’s nothing wrong with a friendly wager,” replied Hider with a shrug. “Besides, someone’s got to lighten the mood.”

“What are you talking about, human?”

“Forget about them, Chessk,” said Lyra without even looking at her two friends. “If Hider and Geefour want to do something stupid, then leave them alone. We got a meeting to attend and I don’t want to be scolded by the masters for being late.”

“Spewing out insults now, huh? Wow, I didn’t think Jedi were capable of taunting others. Let alone you,” replied Hider as the entire crew entered the Jedi Enclave.

“Believe it or not, slandering and ridiculing your opponent is a Jedi technique,” explained Lyra while trotting through the Enclave’s metal hallway. “Master says to never underestimate the power of words. Even the simplest words in our vocabulary can agitate others. Almost to the point where they lose focus in combat.”

“That’s… actually a good strategy,” said Chessk. “Prodding your opponent with words can be an effective way to wear them down. Especially those who do not have the mental fortitude.”

“That’s ridiculous. Who in the right mind would start throwing insults at someone in the middle of a battlefield?” asked Hider. In response, T3-G4 beeped thrice at the ship captain. “Well, if you put it that way, I guess ridiculing your opponent would provide a good distraction. But if it’s a Jedi technique, why don’t you use it, Lyra?”

The Padawan shrugged. “Dun Moch1 is a difficult strategy to implement. Before you start throwing words at your foe, you have to prod them first. Feel their technique and judge them based on the current situation. Once you understand who you are fighting, then you can shift the battle to a psychological one.”

“Fascinating,” said Chessk. “I never realized that Jedi combat was this… deep.”

Hider rolled his eyes. “Sounds needlessly complicated if you ask me. I prefer being in a shootout rather than a contest of words.”

As the crew continued to discuss battle techniques, they eventually made it out of the hallway and into the Enclave’s meditation garden. Although it was nice to see that nothing has changed for the most part, Lyra ignored the scenery and scanned for the group of ponies. “I don’t see anypony here,” she said. “I think they’ve already went inside with the Masters.”

“Then let’s not keep the Council waiting,” replied Chessk. “Which way do we need to go, little Jedi?”

“Not far. The Chambers are in the rooms to the left. Just follow me.”

Trotting around the garden’s roundabout walkway, Lyra and her companions entered into another hallway. After taking quick left turn, they found themselves in a highly decorated room. In the center, they spotted the crew of the Celestial Sun, six Jedi Masters, and—to the shock of the crew—a female Republic officer.

“Hey, nobody told me a Republic officer was going to be here!” Hider yelled out in anger. “Seriously, what gives?”

“At ease, Hider Louhun. And please, be more respectful. There’s a reason why Lieutenant Dodonna is here,” said Master Darran.

“Dodonna? You mean the one from Ord Mantell?” Lyra examined the female officer and quickly discovered that her master was speaking the truth. The same Lieutenant that she met back on that mid-rim planet was here.

“Hello, Padawan Heartstrings. It is good to see you again,” greeted the Lieutenant as she bowed before the Padawan.

“And you as well, Lieutenant,” Lyra said as she followed up with a bow of her own. Then she—along with her companions—turned toward the Jedi and bowed before them, showing respect toward the masters.

“Greetings, Padawan Heartstrings. I am glad to see you are well,” said Master Zhar. “We had just finished our introductions and are about to discuss something important with Lieutenant Dodonna and your mother.”

“And what would that be, master?”

“The ship that your kin had arrived in is safely stationed at the military base on Coruscant. Fully optional and ready to go,” answered the Lieutenant.

“Wait a kriffing minute!” Hider shouted, interrupting the Lieutenant’s speech. However, he immediately regretted his decision when all six Jedi Masters, the Lieutenant, and Lyra were all staring at him. “Uh… forgive me for my outburst, but if the ship is on Coruscant, why meet here on Dantooine? Wouldn’t it have been better if it was taken here instead?”

“You raise a valid point, Captain Louhun. Unfortunately, things have gotten complicated since you left Coruscant,” replied Master Kavar

“Complicated, master?” asked Lyra.

“That is correct, young Padawan,” answered the small Jedi Master Vandar Tokare. “Shortly after your kin’s capture by the Exchange, they released a promotional holo-recording in an effort to sell them as slaves and make money. You should know this. After all, if it weren’t for that timely holo-recording, we wouldn’t have sent you and your master out on your mission.”

“As for the holo-recording itself, it has spread like wildfire. Many of the mid and inner rim worlds have caught wind of this holo-recording and have reported it to the Republic military and the Galactic Senate,” explained Master Dorak. “What’s more is that local officials on Coruscant have become… aware of your exploits in the Works.”

“Are you saying the Republic is aware of ponies now?” asked Lyra again.

“Correct,” answered Master Vrook. He then turned to Lyra’s mother. “Captain Platinum Impact, the Supreme Chancellor of the Galactic Republic wishes to speak with you. We are aware that you and your crew are tired from the unpleasant journey you experienced, but the Chancellor and the Senate demand answers. Especially when it became known that the Mandalorians were on Alderaan.”

“I don’t mind meeting public officials, but my daughter hasn’t mentioned who this Supreme Chancellor is yet. Care to fill me in on who this alien is?” asked Platinum. Vrook replied with a nod as he gave a brief explanation on Galactic politics. His explanation caused many ponies to gasp and gossip with one another.

“We’re meeting with the highest public official in the galaxy?” shouted one mare. “Oh, Celestia. I’m not prepared for this!”

“Will the entire galaxy be watching?” asked another. “What’re we supposed to do if they are? We don’t have any formal wear!”

“That’s what you’re worried about?” yelled out a stallion.

“Enough, all of you!” Platinum shouted back. Though a bit uncalled for, she did manage to calm everypony present, earning praises from even the Jedi Masters themselves.

“Impressive. Most impressive,” complemented Master Zhar. “To be able to calm the situation down so quickly. If she were in the Republic military, one would likely mistaken her for a Drill Sergeant.”

“Yes, it appears that there is some truth to her claims,” said Master Vrook. “If only her daughter would show the same amount of discipline as her. Then her childish antics wouldn’t be as much of a problem.”

Master Darran sighed. “Master Vrook, was that comment really necessary? My Padawan is standing right there,” replied a clearly irritated Miralukan Jedi.

“I meant no disrespect, my friend. I am merely stating the facts.”

“I’d prefer it that you don’t insult my daughter like that,” said Platinum. “She may have inherited my husband’s… bad habits but give her credit when it is due. She went through Tartarus to save all of us.”

“I am not sure what this Tartarus is, but make no mistake, Captain. Master Vrook only wishes what is best for your daughter,” assured Master Zhar. “On that note, there is something that I must ask. Has Padawan Lyra told you anything about our Order?”

Both Lyra and Sweetie Drops wince.

“No, she hasn’t. Though I assumed that your Order is just a military faction within your government.” The Captain briefly paused and looked at each Jedi Master in the eye. “Am I wrong, or is there more to this Jedi Order that I should know?”

The room went silent. Lyra carefully observed the Jedi Masters as she waited for one of them to answer her mother. But none appeared to be willing though. Not even her own master.

After a whole minute of uneasy silence, Master Vandar was the first to speak out. “Padawan Lyra, would you please step out of the Council room for a moment. We must speak with your mother in regard to you and who we Jedi are.”

“And that’s my cue to leave,” said Hider who quickly darted for the exit. “No way am I sticking around for this. When you Jedi are ready to discuss my payment, let me know.”

“Now isn’t the time to act all snarky, Hider,” Lyra rebuked.

“Whatever, kid. You’re on your own on this one.”

Lyra rolled her eyes and groaned as she watched Hider leave the Council Chambers. To her annoyance, her captain’s abrupt exit caused many of the ponies to gossip amongst themselves.

<Do not faulter, little Jedi. Something like this was bound to happen the moment you and your kin stepped into these chambers.> said Chessk in Dosh.

Lyra curled her lip and silently cursed herself for not realizing earlier that a situation like this was bound to happen. Regardless, there was no point in delaying the inevitable. The ponies were going to learn the ways of the Jedi sooner or later. Best let the masters explain it now. She thought. I can clear any misunderstandings later.

Looking at Master Vandar and the other Jedi, Lyra bowed before them again. “As you wish Master Vandar,” she said in a formal manner. “I will return when you are finished.”

She then turned and faced her mother. “Mom, I’ll be waiting outside when you are done. Just promise me that—no matter what the masters say—you’ll hear me out, okay.”

Platinum did not reply. She could only stare in confusion as an uproar of whispers erupted amongst the ponies. Nevertheless, Lyra ignored them all and left the vicinity alongside the rest of her companions.

Author's Note:
  1. Dun Moch

Things are getting juicy now that the Jedi have to confront Platinum on the truth about the Jedi and who they really are. Will Lyra be able to keep her relationship with her mother intact? Well, you'll have to wait until the next chapter comes out. :twilightsheepish:

Again, if you see any grammatical errors or have questions about the story itself, please let me know in the comments below.

Thanks for reading.