• Published 16th Mar 2019
  • 2,799 Views, 282 Comments

Star Wars Jedi Lyra: The Search - currentlemon



Jedi Padawan Lyra Heartstrings scours the war-torn galaxy in search of her long-lost home.

  • ...
9
 282
 2,799

Chapter 18

Alone in a firelit room was a sleeping unicorn filly. She’d been playing with her toys all day, exhausting herself until she fell asleep on top of a big rug next to the fireplace. It may not have been the best place for a nap, but the rug was very comfortable, especially when the searing fire kept the thing warm.

Eventually, the filly woke up. She lifted her head and saw her toys were scattered all over the place. No one had bothered to clean it up, and now that she was full of energy, she was free to play with them again.

But as soon as she picked up a toy with her magic, the filly spotted two big ponies at the far side of the room. A unicorn stallion, and a pegasus mare. She couldn’t see their faces though. The light from the fireplace didn’t extend that far into the room. But deep down, she already knew who they were.

She immediately galloped to the two ponies, ready to embrace them both with open hooves. However, the two big ponies turned away from her, and instead opened a door that was behind them. The filly called out to them, but it was to no avail. The ponies trotted out of the room and slammed the door shut.

Not wanting to be alone, the little filly quickly turned the door knob with her magic and swung the door open. She’d hoped to call out the two big ponies again, but to her surprise, she was instead greeted by a strange watery like liquid that flooded the entire room. Desperate, the filly called out for help, but it was futile. Pretty soon, she was swept away by the water, unable to call for help. Unable to help herself.


Lyra screamed at the top of her lungs as her eyes shot wide open. Gasping for air, she frantically spun her head around, trying desperately to figure out where she was. She soon came to realize that her entire body submerged in some sort of water. At first, she thought she was drowning, but she quickly realized there was a breathing mask strapped to her mouth, allowing her to safely breath underwater.

“Ah, you’re awake I see,” said a strange, yet oddly familiar muzzled voice. “Excellent. Master Darran will be most pleased.” Lyra let out another gasp under her mask as Jedi Master Bo’kal So appeared in front of her. “Do not be alarmed, Padawan. You’re inside a kolto tank. Just give me a moment. I’ll let you out soon.”

She blinked in confusion. Looking at her surroundings, she quickly noticed that the master’s words were true. She was submerged inside a kolto tank. But as she realized this, the question of how she got here in the first place popped up in her head. She pondered hard on her question, but nothing came into mind. It’ll just have to be answered by the Jedi Master.

Once the lid to the kolto tank had opened, Lyra immediately swam to the surface. With the help of Master So, she took off her breathing mask, leapt out of the water and safely landed on the surface. “Thank you, master,” she said as she took a nearby towel with her magic and wiped herself clean.

“The pleasure’s all mine, Padawan Heartstrings,” replied Master So. “But let us not waste any time on formalities. I need to ask you a few questions.”

“Sure, what is it?”

“Do you remember what happened to you earlier today? About how and why you’re here at my medical facility?”

“Why I’m here?” Lyra tilted her head, unable to answer the master’s question. “Well, if we’re in the temple’s medical bay now, I assume the only reason why I’m here is because I got injured.”

“Indeed. You had quite a severe injury to your chest. I admit, I was worried when you were first taken in her by your companions, but I must thank them for keeping you in such a good condition. If it weren’t for them, you’d probably still be unconscious in that kolto tank, or perhaps dead.”

“C-chest injury?” Hearing the master’s words caused Lyra to panic as she immediately examined her chest for any injuries. Though she found no such wound, her memory finally kicked in. “Now I remember! Me and my friends went to Czerka’s factory to go and rescue the missing ponies. We arrived, but we ended up encountering some Mandalorian soldiers.”

She curled her lip. “I ended up going on my own at one point and fought the Mandalorians on my own. I did well at first, but there was one soldier who got in my way and challenged me to a duel. I fought him and… and—”

Lyra paused mid-sentence. Her eyes widened in shock as she finally remembered what had happened to her. And upon realizing her defeat, she lowered her head in shame. “I-I lost,” she admitted as tears fell down her cheeks “I fought against that lone soldier, but he beat me.”

“Don’t be too hard on yourself, Padawan,” said Master So. “You did everything you could.”

“No, master, you don’t understand! I willingly separated myself from Master Darran and my friends! I let my fear for the pony’s safety get in my head! If I hadn’t given into my fears, I wouldn’t have been in that situation in the first… place.” Lyra gasped. “My master! My friends! Oh Force, I completely forgot about them! Is everyone alright? Did they complete the mission?”

A frantic Lyra looked up at Master So with pleading eyes, hoping that he would give her the answers she needed, but instead, he simply stared at her wearily. “I’m sorry, Padawan Heartstrings, but I regret to inform you that the rescue mission was a failure.”

Lyra’s jaw dropped. “The mission was a failure!” she shouted. “How? Why?”

“Calm down, Padawan. I know this news is unsettling, but you must hear me out.” Bending to his knees, the Kel Dor Master gently stroked Lyra’s mane. Strangely enough, it did calm her down, but it left the young Padawan very embarrassed. “A lot had happened after you fell unconscious. I can tell you the gist of what happened, but you are better off hearing the rest from Darran and your companions.”

“O-of course,” said Lyra, solemnly. “Please, tell me what you know.”

“I’ll start from the beginning,” continued Master So as he pulled out a datapad from his belt buckle. “According to a report done by your master, he and your friends—with the exception of that Trandoshan—fought against the Mandalorians.”

“Wait, Chessk didn’t fight? How come?”

“He had to take care of you, Lyra. After you had fallen in battle, it was Chessk’s job to get you to safety. And before you ask, it was your master’s order. He couldn’t risk having the Trandoshan fight, not after the injury you received. So instead, he sent you and your friend away, knowing full well it would worsen his chances.”

“I see. It’s good to hear that master still cares for me. Even though I’m the one who messed everything up.”

“Do not doubt your master’s kindness, Padawan. You may have acted foolhardy, but Master Darran still cares for you,” assured Master So.

Lyra put up a weary smile. “That means a lot to me, master. Thank you. But what happened after I was taken out of the battle? Why couldn’t my master or the rest of my friends save the ponies?”

Master So let out another sigh. “They tried, Padawan, but things just didn’t work out as well as they intended. They gave the Mandalorian’s a good fight. Master Darran said he fought back against the soldier who injured you, while the rest of your friends managed to rescue two of the captives. But according to Darran’s report, the Mandalorian’s never gave up. They just kept fighting. All the way down to the last man.”

“Two ponies were saved?” Lyra asked. Her mood had brightened up exponentially. At the very least, she didn’t come out of the mission empty hooved. “Master, you said that the Mandalorians kept on fighting. If so, how did they manage to fight back? Did any reinforcements show up?”

Master So shook his head. “Nothing of the sort happened. Like I said, the Mandalorian’s never gave up. Somehow, they managed to gather enough strength to hold back Gizar and prevent any more rescue attempts by your friends.”

“But how? Most of the soldiers on that squad were crippled or incapacitated when I last saw them. I know that because I was the one who did that to them!”

“You managed to fight off an entire Mandalorian squad all on your own?” asked Master So in apparent disbelief, to which Lyra nodded in reply. “Incredible. I must say, Lyra, that is quite impressive feat.”

“Yeah, well, it turns out all of it was for nothing,” said Lyra, bitterly as she bit her lip. “Not only did I lose the most important duel of my life, but I ended up failing the mission.”

“An unfortunate event, but do not give up hope, Padawan. There is still hope for you kin, yet. I would explain more, but I believe you should hear it first from your master first.” Master So stood up and made his way toward the exit.

“Please wait here, Padawan,” he instructed as the automatic doors opened in front of him. “I’ll inform Gizar and your friends you’re awake.”

Lyra nodded as the Kel Dor master left the room. Now alone in the temple’s medical facility, the young Padawan sighed as she fell on her belly. It was devastating to hear that her mission had been a failure. Sure, a few ponies were saved, but the rest were still missing. Somewhere out in the galaxy, the Mandalorians were holding her kin captive, doing who knows what to them.

She thought back to when she left everybody behind at the lobby in Czerka’s factory. She questioned whether the outcome of the mission would’ve been different if she went alongside her master and the others instead. No doubt was it in the realm of possibility. Sure, they may have been forced to fight the entire Mandalorian squad, but with two Jedi present along with a pair of sharpshooters, the mission could’ve been completed.

Lyra curled her lip. There was no point in thinking about what-if scenarios. What’s done is done. The only thing she could hope for is her companion’s success.

Master So did say that they had something to tell her regarding the mission. I just hope it’s something that can help us.

Suddenly, the door to the medical facility opened. Lyra, expecting that it was Master Darran or her friends, stood back up to greet them. However, she soon realized that it wasn’t either of them. Instead, she was greeted by Private Sweetie Drops and two other ponies.

Her jaw dropped. Though she didn’t recognize the two ponies, she could only assume that they were the ones that Hider and Geefour saved back at Czerka’s factory. On her left was a unicorn mare. She had a bright yellow coat and a pink colored mane with a white streak in the middle. The other was a tall pegasus stallion, who had a white coat and a dark blue mane.

Seeing those two ponies made Lyra squee. She wanted to go up and greet them, but she hesitated after noticing Sweetie glaring at her.

“Um… Sweetie? Is something wrong?” Lyra hesitantly asked, but Sweetie didn’t respond. Instead, the mare let out a loud groan as she turned away from the young Padawan. Lyra tried calling out to her again, but it was no use. The private was ignoring her completely.

“Come on, Private, say something,” said the pegasus stallion in a very gruff voice that sounded identical to that of a drill instructor. “I know your upset, but that doesn’t mean you should give her the silent treatment.”

“Yeah! I mean, sure, things didn’t turn out the way you wanted, but at least give her some credit!” said the unicorn mare, cheerfully. “You should’ve seen her! It was the most amazing thing ever! There she was, all alone against those big, scary aliens. The odds were against her, but somehow, she fought back!”

“And yet she lost,” muttered Sweetie, bluntly. Her bitter words stung Lyra as if she were pierced by a lightsaber blade.

“Aw, don’t be so stingy, Bonnie! For Celestia’s sake, this mare almost died for us!”

Lyra tilted her head. “Bonnie?”

“Cotton, what did I tell you about using that nickname in public!” yelled Sweetie Drops. Her voice was so loud that it made the unicorn cower behind the stallion.

“Private, enough! Do not take your anger out on a civilian!” berated the stallion. He trotted next to the disgruntled mare and gave a glare of his own. Though unintimidated by the stallion’s posture, Sweetie did eventually concede, but not before giving Lyra one last angry glare. And as she turned away from the group, Stalwart let out a sigh. “I’m sorry about that, Miss. Heartstrings. But I’m afraid the Private isn’t in the mood for talking.”

“Yeah, I can understand that,” said Lyra as she stared worryingly at Sweetie Drops. “After all, I did break a promise.”

“Don’t discredit yourself. You did everything you could,” Stalwart said with a smile. “Despite your loss, you should feel proud that you held your own against that many soldiers. Seeing you fight was remarkable. I doubt anypony else would be able to pull off a feat like that.”

Lyra’s cheeks flushed red as she rubbed the back of her mane feverishly. “Wow, um, thanks the compliment, sir. To be honest, I figured you and your friend might be mad at me for not rescuing the rest of your crew.”

“Hey, Stalwart, aren’t you forgetting something important?” asked the unicorn mare as she cut herself in-between the stallion and Lyra.

“Forgot something? Oh, right. I believe some proper introductions are in order.” The stallion quickly assumed a military-like posture and saluted in front of Lyra. “My name is Stalwart Shield, a Drill Sergeant of her highnesses Royal Guard. And with me is Cotton Swirl. Don’t let her hyper attitude fool you. She’s a very smart mare.”

“Smart enough to become a scholar at Canterlot University!” Cotton Swirl boastfully exclaimed. After which, she trotted up to Lyra and shook the Padawan’s hoof. “A pleasure to make your acquaintance, Miss. Heartstrings. I must say, you are a rather fascinating pony. May I request that you can give me a tour of this futuristic world and tell me more about these Jedi?”

“Uh, maybe another time?” Lyra replied. She then looked back at Stalwart with a confused look. “You guys seriously brought a civilian with you on this trip?”

Stalwart sighed. “Yes, we did, but not by choice. Our expedition was supposed to be military only, but Cotton was persistent that she come with us. Even though many forbade her to go, she managed to sneak her way onboard our ship.”

“How?”

“Illusion magic, honey!” Cotton cheerfully answered. “I’m one of the best illusionists in all of Equestria. All it took was one simple disguise, a couple false papers, and boom! I’m onboard the trip of a lifetime!”

“Seriously, Cotton? After being treated like dirt for the past few days, you still think this is some grand adventure?” shouted a very irritated Sweetie Drops. “Sweet, Celestia, how are you this hyper?”

“Can you blame me, Bonnie? Here I am standing in a medical room in a futuristic society that we’ve never heard of till now. A society that’s existed for thousands, if not millions, of years, who’re are being protected by sword wielding space wizards!” With a wide smile on her face, Cotton then pointed her hoof over to Lyra. “And the best part is that one of our own is being trained by these wizards! Isn’t that awesome!”

Sweetie rolled her eyes as she, once again, turned away from the group. Seeing this made Cotton scoff. “Jeez, what a total killjoy,” she said. “Hey, Sally, are all military personnel a bunch of stuck up jerks like Bonnie, or is it just her?”

“Leave her be, Miss. Swirl. She has every right to be upset with me,” Lyra replied.

“Nonsense! Sure, the outcome could’ve been better, but the doesn’t excuse Bonnie here from being a total spoilsport.”

“I agree,” said Stalwart. “Although Cotton’s cheerful attitude is rather questionable, it doesn’t change the fact that you did a great job.”

Lyra’s lips quivered a little bit, then she replied. “E-even if I messed up by leaving my friends behind?”

“Ah, yes. I heard about what you did from that Jedi who claimed to be your teacher. I can’t say for certain if your mission would’ve been successful if you hadn’t abandoned your team. Don’t get me wrong, what you did was bad, but dwelling on your past mistakes isn’t going to help you or anyone else.”

“Wow, Sally. That was a very mature thing to say,” said a giggling Cotton Swirl.

“Yeah. It’s something that a Jedi might say, Mr. Shield. I bet the masters here would love to have a conversation with you,” said Lyra as she too started giggling. “Still, it doesn’t explain why you and Cotton here are so optimistic. I hate to be a killjoy but finding the rest of your crew is going to be tough now that the Mandalorians have them.”

Stalwart opened his mouth to reply, but before he could speak, the door to the medical facility opened again. Lyra looked past the two ponies to see who it was and assumed that it’d either be Master So again or her own master. But instead, a large, bulky Trandoshan darted into the room and immediately ran up to her. He bent down and hugged the Padawan by the neck, tears flowing from his eyes.

<Little Jedi, you’re okay!> shouted Chessk in Dosh as he lifted the Padawan up in mid-air with his arms strapped around her in a headlock. Lyra pleaded with him to let her go, but it largely went unnoticed.

“Easy there, big guy. Cut the kid some slack. She just got out the kolto tank for crying out loud.” From behind Chessk came in another familiar face. This time, it was the journalist and former smuggler, Hider Louhun, who was accompanied by T3-G4. “Hey, kid. Good to see you’re still alive and kickin’.”

“N-nice to see y-you too, H-Hider,” Lyra replied as she struggled under her friend’s joyful stranglehold. “C-Chessk, can you please l-let go of me? I c-can’t breathe.”

<Oh, sorry.> Immediately, Chessk dropped Lyra to the floor, allowing the young Padawan to finally catch her breath. “Little Jedi,” he said in Basic. “It pleases me to see you alive and well. I can’t tell you how worried I was when you passed out on my arms. At that moment, I thought I lost you.”

“Yeah, no kidding,” Hider replied. “The big guy was outright panicking during our trip back to the Jedi Temple. I mean, I shouldn’t be surprised given that Chessk has a life debt with you. But to see a Trandoshan actually caring for something other than credits or his own property was eye opening.”

T3-G4 beeped aggressively at Hider. “Hey, cut me some slack, tin can. It’s not my fault that all the Transdoshans I’ve met before Chessk have been greedy snobs.” The droid beeped again, showing more hostility toward the former smuggler. “I meant no offense, alright. I’m just saying that I haven’t had any good experience with Trandoshans until I met the big guy here. Seriously, the ones who I’ve encountered during my old job were not the friendliest bunch.”

Chessk let out a loud groan. “If it were any other situation, human, I would’ve punched you in the face for making such a terrible comment. But given that you’ve already met my cousin, I don’t blame you for thinking like that.”

“Um, I hate to be a bother you guys, but I think some introductions are in order?” The entire crew turned to face Stalwart Shield, who was staring at them rather curiously. Cotton Swirl was doing the same as well, but she was hiding behind the stallion, again. Her hyper attitude had all but disappeared the moment Lyra’s friends walked into the room.

Lyra tilted her head. “Wait, you guys haven’t introduced yourselves yet?” she asked.

Hider shrugged. “Sorry, kid, but we didn’t have the time. After the mission was over, our priority was to make sure we get you back at the temple in stable condition. The only person who talked to these ponies here was Master Darran.”

“Then I guess some proper introductions are needed.” For a brief period, Lyra introduced her companions to the two ponies. It was shaky at first given that Chessk was their captor back at Ord Mantell, but other than that, it went rather well. Though Hider was a bit perplexed by their name choices.

“Seriously? Stalwart Shield? Cotton Swirl? What kind of names are these? I mean, having a name like Lyra Heartstrings makes sense, but this is ridiculous.” The former smuggler’s words irked both ponies, but Lyra managed to hold them back. Their frustrations with him were understandable, but in the meantime, her friend had a point. Pony names did sound a bit weird to the average outsider.

“And here I thought the Sweetie Drops was odd,” Hider continued. “Seriously, what’s up with these pony names? Next thing I’ll hear is that there’s a pony who goes by the name of Clear Skies. Or Sunny Day. Or whatever random nouns and verbs that sound well together.”

“And what’s so weird about them? They’re perfectly fine names!” argued Cotton Swirl. “At least they’re a lot better than the names you guys have.”

Lyra groaned. “Can we not have a debate on this, please! The last thing we need is to divide ourselves over a pointless argument about names!”

“I agree.” Lyra’s ears wobbled as she heard yet another familiar voice. Looking past her friends, she spotted her master entering the room alongside Master Bokal So.

Upon seeing her beloved teacher, the young Padawan smiled. She wanted to gallop and hug him, but she quickly held herself back. Considering that her actions had cost them the mission, she feared that he would berate her the moment she would approach him.

Master Darran, however, saw through her hesitation, and immediately demanded that she step forward. “There’s no use in hiding, Padawan,” he said in a commanding tone. “Step forward, now. I wish to speak with you.”

Seeing that she had no choice, Lyra followed her master’s request and promptly approached him. “G-good evening, master,” she said nervously, all while avoiding direct eye contact with her master. This action, however, displeased Master Darran.

“You know, Lyra, it’s considered rude to not look at someone in the eye when they’re trying to talk to you.”

“But master, you don’t even have eyes,” Lyra replied. Her response made their entire conversation feel awkward. Hider couldn’t help but chuckle at her response, while T3-G4 let out a frustrated bleep. Chessk and Master So facepalmed while the two ponies just stared at each other in confusion.

“H-he doesn’t have any eyes?” asked Cotton Swirl.

“We’ll explain later,” answered Hider. “For now, just stay quiet let these two have their little talk, okay.”

Realizing that Lyra was unwilling to strike a conversation, Master Darran bent down on his knees and placed his hand on top of her head. “Padawan, listen to me,” he pleaded. “I am not mad at you for your reckless behavior back at the factory.”

“Y-you’re not?” asked Lyra, to which Master Darran shook his head.

“No, I’m not. Though I am disappointed that you acted so carelessly, I’m not here to berate you for what you did. I just want to know what happened before your friends and I rescued you.”

“Wait, that’s all? But didn’t Master So or the other ponies tell you what happened already?”

“They did, but I want to hear it from your perspective. I promise you, I won’t get mad.”

Lyra felt a swell of relief. Though he was still disappointed with her actions, at the very least, he was being reasonable. And so, she told Master Darran everything. From her route of the Mandalorian soldiers, to her defeat at the hands of Khal.

“I see. So, despite the overwhelming odds, you managed to hold your own against an entire squad of Mandalorian Neo-crusaders. Unfortunately, you were defeated by a well-prepared soldier who managed to catch you off-guard with his rather unique fighting method.”

T3-G4 let loose a series of beeps. “Wow, tin can. You haven’t even met the guy and yet you’re already throwing insults at him,” Hider said as he rolled his eyes. “I do agree with you though. If it weren’t for that guy’s armor, Lyra would’ve won that duel.”

“That may be true, human; but from what I heard, the Mandalorian seemed well prepared,” Chessk stated. “That cortosis armor, and his familiarity with Jedi techniques. It’s almost as if he knew that he’d be fighting a Jedi one day.”

“I agree,” replied Master Darran. “He was the only soldier out of that entire squadron who knew what he was doing. And hearing Lyra’s tale makes me wonder if the Neo-Crusaders are prepared to fight Jedi.”

“We cannot assume, my friend,” said Master So. “Even if the Mandalorians were unprepared to face your Padawan, it’s unlikely they’ll let this happen again. Such a defeat will not go unheard of in their ranks. If anything, Mandalore the Ultimate will probably start taking the Jedi more seriously now.”

I hope not. Lyra thought as she frowned. “By the way, how did you guys manage to only save two ponies? I know you were down a man, but you still had the advantage, didn’t you?”

Her question made Hider grit his teeth. “You got it right that we had the advantage,” he said. “Master Darran held his own against the guy you fought, and most of the soldiers were too injured to use their weapons. So, they ended up using dirty tactics to win.”

“Dirty tactics?” asked Lyra. T3-G4 let loose a series of aggravated buzzing sounds, though she personally couldn’t understand the droid.

“They targeted the ponies,” answered Master Darran. “They must’ve realized that they couldn’t win, so they turned their fire on the captives.”

“Don't worry. None of the ponies died. Their tactic was a trick to keep us away from the captives,” Hider explained. “We tried to mount a counter offensive, but we couldn’t regain our momentum. Not with the ponies being held at gunpoint like that."

“What about the guard who helped you?” asked Lyra.

Master Darran shook his head. “I’m sorry, Padawan, but he died in the crossfire. A stray bolt hit him while we were making our retreat.”

“Oh… I see.” Lyra frowned at this. The man that she had saved ended up dying for her sake. “M-may he find peace in the Force.”

“Can we please drop this subject already! There’s no point in talking about a fight that Lyra lost!” The room went quiet as all eyes fell on an angry Sweetie Drops. “Please. We can’t abandon my friends to a bunch of warmongering lunatics!” she shouted. “Just tell us what you have planned so that we can get started on saving the others!”

“Yeesh, looks like someone got up the wrong side of the bed today,” Hider joked. “You think you can tone that temper of yours down a bit little lady? Yelling and complaining about the mission isn’t going to help any of us.”

“And neither are your jokes, Hider,” said Lyra, bluntly. “Sweetie is right, guys. Isn’t there anything that can help us? Master So said you guys found something after the skirmish with the Mandalorians. You mind telling us what that something is?”

Hider gave a slight nod as he reached inside his leather jacket and took out a small datapad. “I looted this thing from a dead Mandalorian soldier back at the factory,” he said, turning the device on. “The device was locked, but Geefour broke into it during our trip back to the temple.”

“What does it say?” Lyra asked eagerly, anticipating that Hider had somehow managed to save their mission from becoming a complete failure. But before her friend could respond, Master Darran put his left hand over his shoulder.

“I’m sorry, you two, but that will have to wait for now,” he said. “Now that Lyra is awake, the Jedi High Council has requested that she and I report to them this very instant.”

His statement made Lyra shiver. “T-the Council requests my presence?” she asked nervously. To her dismay, her master nodded his head.

“Uh, can somepony explain to us what’s going on here?” asked Cotton Swirl. “What is the Jedi High Council? And why is Lyra over there so afraid of them?”

“The Jedi High Council are the highest-ranking members of the Jedi Order,” explained Master So. “Not only do they overlook the Jedi, but they also have close ties with both the Supreme Chancellor and the Republic Senate, the leading bodies of our government.”

“Basically, they’re the big guys you don’t want to mess with,” said Hider. “If the Council is requesting your presence, you have no choice but to heed their calling. And that goes for any Jedi here at the temple.”

“It’s not just my Padawan and I, Hider. The Council wishes to see everyone who was involved in our mission,” continued Master Darran. He then gave Sweetie a quick look. “That includes you, Private Drops.”

Chessk gasped. “T-the Jedi High Council wishes to see us?” he asked. The announcement made by Master Darran left him stunned. “T-this is incredible. To meet the highest-ranking members of the Jedi Order is an honor that I am most grateful for. When do we meet them?”

“As soon we’re ready,” replied Master Darran before turning his attention over to Lyra. “Padawan, I need you to get dressed in your new Jedi attire now. Master So should have them ready for you in a dressing room. If you’re healed up and ready to go, get dressed now.”

“I’ll do as you ask, master, but can you explain why the Council wishes to see, Sweetie Drops?” Lyra asked. “I don’t mean to question their authority, but I’d like to know what they have planned for her.”

“From what I heard, they wish to hear her tale on how she and rest of your kin arrived in Republic space,” Darran continued. “They also want to hear how they were captured, as well as ask several questions regarding her time spent with the Exchange and with us.”

“Considering that our little lady’s encounter with the Republic and its inhabitants was a bad one, they probably wish to ease any leftover tensions,” Hider explained. “First impressions matter. If this little band of ponies is part of something big, the Council wants to make sure that this interaction between the Republic and this brand-new species go well.

“If that’s true, how come only Bonnie is allowed to see this High Council?” asked Cotton Swirl. “Me and Stalwart were a part of the Celestial Sun’s crew too, you know.”

“Bonnie?” asked everyone in the room, excluding Lyra, Sweetie, and Stalwart Shield.

“I agree with, Cotton,” followed up Stalwart Shield. “I’d like to see this Jedi High Council myself. Is there any way we can talk to them?”

“They’ll see you, but not until the both of you get a proper medical examination through me,” explained Master So. He walked over to a nearby table and took out few needles from its drawer. Upon seeing this, Cotton let out a shriek.

“N-needles? Sweet Celestia, I can’t handle those things!” She immediately jumped on a nearby medical bed and hid behind its covers.

Stalwart rolled his eyes. “Don’t mind her. She acts a bit foalish when it comes to vaccinations. I’m sure I can pin her down for you if need be.” He paused for a moment, then continued. “If you don’t mind me asking, what is this medical examination for? Besides the vaccination shots, I don’t see the point in having one. Me and Cotton are perfectly fine.”

“Given that you two were treated horribly at the hands of the Exchange, Czerka, and the Mandalorians, we wish to make sure the both of you are physically and mentally well,” replied Master So. “We have already examined Private Drops, so she is free to join the others at the High Council Chambers.”

Stalwart sighed. It appeared he wasn’t entirely satisfied with the Kel Dor’s response. “Fine, I’ll do as you ask. But if you’re going for vaccination shots, please be quick about it. I don’t know how long I’ll be able to pin Cotton down.”

“I have my own ways of dealing with… troublesome patients, Stalwart. Your help will not be necessary. But thank you for the offer.” From behind the bedsheets, a terrified Cotton Swirl squeaked in fear. “There’s nothing to fear, Ms. Swirl. These shots are the same ones that Lyra and Private Drops received. Trust me, they’re safe.”

“I think she’s more afraid of the needle itself rather than what’s inside the vaccine, Master Jedi,” said Hider with the shrug. “Anyway, I think we wasted enough time here. Best not to keep the high and mighty Council waiting.”

“Sarcasm aside, I agree with you there, Hider,” said Master Darran. “Padawan, why don’t you go get dressed now, and I’ll take our friends down to the elevator that leads to the council chambers. Don’t worry, we’ll wait for you. Just make sure dress yourself properly. The last thing you want is be scolded by the masters over a dress code violation.”

“Of course, master,” Lyra replied with a bow of her head. She then looked up at the Kel Dor master. “Master So, where’s this dressing room my master mentioned?”

“It’s right across this room, Padawan,” replied the Jedi Master as he placed the needles inside his belt pouch. “Follow me, and I’ll show you.”

As Master So left the medical room, the rest of Lyra’s friends followed. Soon, all that was left remaining in the room were her and the rest of the ponies. But as she nearly trotted out of the room, she quickly noticed that Private Sweetie Drops hadn’t yet moved. “Uh, Sweetie, aren’t you going to follow my master?” she asked.

“Give me a minute, okay. I want to talk to my crewmates before I go,” Sweetie Drops replied, who still refused to give eye contact. “Just go and change already. I’ll follow you when I’m done here.”

“Oh, okay.” With Sweetie unwilling to talk, let alone look at her, Lyra followed Master So out of the medical room. No doubt their relationship has been strained due to her failure to save the rest of the ponies. The only she could do now was pray that their friendship could be restored. And that Hider’s clue will lead them somewhere.


As the door to the medical facility slammed shut, Private Sweetie Drops let out a disgruntled sigh. “Finally, they’re gone.” She trotted over to the bed where Cotton Drops was hiding, clenched her teeth onto the blanket, and pulled it out. “For Celestia’s sake, Cotton, get a hold of yourself!”

“S-sorry, Bonnie,” Cotton replied. “I just really hate needles.”

“Oh, come on, Cotton, you’re a grown mare! You should be over this little fear of yours already! And stop using my nickname! Nopony is supposed to know it, let alone my real one.”

“This little fear isn’t something that I can overcome so easily, Bonnie!” Cotton spat. “And may I remind you that we’re not in Equestria anymore. Sorry, but I just don’t see the point in using military aliases when we’re not even on our home planet!”

“Enough, you two. Now is not the time for arguing,” berated Stalwart Soul. “Private Drops, it pleases me to see you’re alright. When we were forced to leave you behind at that hideous lizard alien, I feared the worse.”

“Yeah, no kidding. Seriously, the captain wouldn’t just stop thinking about you. During our trip to this planet, she kept rambling that all of this was her fault.”

Stalwart frowned. “Our capture had decimated the crew. Nearly everypony turned on the captain when we got captured by those brutes. To be honest, I too had almost given up hope of rescue. But if it weren’t for Miss. Heartstrings and her friends, I wouldn’t be standing here today, meeting all these wonderful… aliens.”

“It’s ‘people’ Sergeant. And yes, I am grateful for what Lyra did for us. Even though she failed to save the others.” Sweetie bit her lip as she tried her best to hold back her resentments toward her newfound friend. “Don’t get me wrong, you two, I will be forever grateful for what Lyra did for me. But I can’t help but feel mad at her for failing the entire rescue mission.”

“Come on, Bonnie, you’re being too hard on her!” berated Cotton.

“Maybe, but I can’t help but wonder what might’ve happened if I came along with them. If I could’ve joined them on their mission, I would’ve helped save the captain and the rest of our crew. Perhaps even prevent Lyra from going off on her own.” Sweetie sighed. “But I can’t keep lamenting on the issue. If there’s still a chance that we can save our crew, then I’ll take it.”

“Yeah, that Hider person seemed pretty confident that we still got a shot. I’ll believe him, but only because Lyra believes in him,” said Cotton. “By the way, there’s something I’ve been meaning to ask regarding Miss. Heartstrings.”

“What about her?”

Cotton smiled. “Is it true, Bonnie. That this Lyra Heartstrings pony is actually the Captain’s missing daughter?”

Sweetie went pale. She immediately rushed over to Cotton and covered the mare’s mouth with her right hoof. “Shh, don’t say that out loud. Lyra might hear you.” she whispered.

“I knew it! I knew it the first moment I laid eyes on that mare!” Cotton’s smile grew even wider. “Lyra Heartstrings. The long-lost daughter of Captain Platinum Impact of the Royal Guard… and my colleague Wishful Vision. What are the odds of us meeting her here?”

Sweetie sighed. “Yes, it’s true. The moment I first met her back at the Exchange base on Ord Mantell, I realized it had to be her.”

“What luck,” said Stalwart Shield. “To think that we’d find her so soon. The captain will be overjoyed to hear that her daughter is okay. Not to mention the amount of pride she’ll have when she hears that Lyra is part of a galaxy-wide space guard.”

“Platinum’s cage was right next to ours, Stalwart. I think she already knows it’s her,” Cotton explained. “So, Bonnie. When are you planning to tell Miss. Heartstrings about her mother?”

“I’m not!” assured Sweetie Drops. “If Lyra hears that her own mother is one of the captives, no doubt will she make the same mistake as before.”

“So, you wish to keep her mother’s captivity a secret?” asked Stalwart, to which Sweetie Drops nodded her head.

“For now, I won’t mention anything about the captain. Not to Lyra, not to her friends, and not even to her master or this so-called Jedi Council. We’re going to keep it a secret until the mission is complete and everypony is safe.”

“And what happens if they don’t rescue everypony in time?” asked Cotton.

“Then may Faust help us all.”

Author's Note:

Act 2 Begins!

With all the main character introductions out of the way, we can finally get to the more juicer portions of the story. I've waited a long time for this moment, and to be honest with you guys, I'm very excited for what comes next. I just hope I can keep up with the quality, and hope that my writing has entertained you guys.

Feel free to like and comment. Again, if you see any errors, let me know right away. Thanks for reading.