• Published 11th Mar 2019
  • 1,471 Views, 135 Comments

The Pegasus who Kicked the Changelings' Hive - A M Shark



After being injured during the events of "The Ponies who Played with Fire" a now-captive Discord is facing trial for murder, while Fluttershy and her small band of allies are in a desperate struggle both to clear his name and avoid their own capture.

  • ...
3
 135
 1,471

Chapter 10. Lamentations 3:32-33

CHAPTER 10

"Though God brings grief, He will show compassion, so great is His unfailing love. For He does not willingly bring affliction or grief to the children of men."—Lamentations 3:32-33


The lawyer's name didn't ring any bells, but at the sound of the assistant's name, Discord felt his whole body go on high alert. Could it be...? Was it possible that...?

No, the name must just be a coincidence. After all, how could—?

"Thank you, officer. We'll take it from here."

Discord snapped his head up in the direction of this new female voice (which had an oddly familiar posh accent) in time to see a pink unicorn mare striding across the room. Her mane and tail were each a riot of rainbow streaks that had been tamed into a sophisticated arrangement which made him inwardly wince. Such a waste on all that potentially wild-looking hair. As if to further compound this, she was clad in a deep violet skirt suit that seemed to proclaim "professional." Was this supposed to be his lawyer?

Then he caught sight of a second mare, an earth pony, hurrying along right behind the unicorn. She was dressed in a violet skirt suit similar to the unicorn's, yet there was something in her demeanor and posture that made it come across much more understated. Even her soft lavender coat and sky blue mane and tail seemed to fade into the background next to the unicorn's much-more vibrant col—

But at that moment the earth pony raised her head to look directly at him and Discord felt his breath catch. The face framing them might look different than he remembered, but he would know those turquoise eyes anywhere. How could he not when he had spent so many dreams the past year trying to escape them, and just as many seeking them out?


Fluttershy fought to keep her expression neutral as she saw recognition flash in Discord's yellow eyes. How she hoped it was only her decision to reuse the name they'd agreed upon when searching the Crystal Empire for Applejack that had prompted that recognition. Deep down she had felt a tiny thrill that he had seen through her disguise, but it was also coupled with an anxiety that if he could, others would as well.

At the sound of a female throat clearing, she cut her eyes toward her similarly disguised unicorn friend, who was currently confronting the guards surrounding Discord's cell.

"Would the four of you kindly step outside while I speak with my client?"

All the guards shifted about uncomfortably but made no move to leave their current positions.

"Ma'am," one finally said, the reluctance in his voice equal to that in his stance. "I'm not sure that'd be wise considering what he's—"

"Yes, I'm well-aware of what he's been accused of, officer," Regal Love—in reality Rarity—cut in, ladling on some of her signature charm. "And while your concern is deeply appreciated, I'm afraid we must respect the rules of attorney-client privilege. Even in such a case as this."

The guard's resolve seemed to waver slightly. "Well ... I suppose as long as you take the proper precautions... You'll be careful to stay several feet back from the bars, right? They're spelled to set off an alarm if anyone so much as brushes up against them, but—"

"My assistant and I were informed of the security precautions and will make sure to observe them. Thank you, officer."

"Alright." The guard cast the draconequus prisoner a scathing look before turning back to the unicorn lawyer. "You've got ten minutes, then we're coming back in regardless of attorney-client privilege."

"Understood," said the lawyer amiably. "And thank you again for your concern."

The four guards marched out of the room. No sooner had the door closed behind them, then a pale blue light flashed from the lawyer's horn. "There." she whispered. "That spell should keep us from being overheard, but we'd better keep our voices down anyway. Just in case."

The two ponies hurried to the front of the cage, not stopping several feet away from the bars as the lawyer had assured the guards, but a mere several inches. Meanwhile the draconequus did the same from his side of the bars, leaning down to put his head roughly level with those of the ponies.

"Flutter—" he started to whisper, but she quickly put a hoof to her lips and shook her head to shush him.

Her eyes flicked to the door, still paranoid the guards would burst in, before she turned back to Discord and whispered, "Please, while we're here, call me Wisteria and her Regal Love." Since there was no way of knowing how long they might have to maintain these disguises, Fluttershy and Rarity had decided it would be best if they got into the habit of using and answering to their fake names even in private.

"Oh, yes, yes, of course, of course," he whispered back impatiently. "But what's been happening? How did you get here? Did the rescue work?" He frowned at her. "And why are you disguised as an earth pony?"

Her eyes flicked uneasily toward the door again, when Regal Love suddenly stepped closer to her side and whispered, "I'll watch the door while you fill him in, darling."


With the flashlight beam bouncing ahead of him, Spike scuttled through the maze of air ducts toward Derpy's room. Cautiously prying up a ceiling tile, he checked the room below. Fortunately, the room seemed empty except for its assigned occupant and the equipment required to sustain her.

Pulling the letter from his pocket, he whispered to it: "Twilight, I'm at Derpy's room now."

Twilight: "Alright. Here they come."

Spike felt the familiar fire burning in his gut and stuck his head down through the hole, aiming his face away from Derpy's bed. He let out a burst of flames and a large bundle dropped out of it onto the floor. As five ponies emerged from the bundle and took their places around the room, Spike lowered himself on a rope to join them. All the while, he could hear shouts and scuffling from outside the room, but there was no way to know if those cries were being made by an enemy, an ally or both.

That is, until there were wild shouts of "Mother! Mother!" right on the other side of the closed door. Spike could remember how they had decided that just in case a changeling tried to pose as Amethyst, she would identify herself by calling not to "Mom" as she normally would, but to "Mother."

Highflyer, who was currently closest to the door, jumped for the handle, and had barely gotten the door open, when a bedraggled unicorn with a broken stump of a horn darted inside. She looked wildly around the room, and the group hastily barked out their own code words to assure her that she could trust them.

Whipping around, she slammed the door shut with Highflyer still dangling from the handle. "We've got to get Mom out of here now!"

"But what about Discord?" Fluttershy asked.

"He said to go without him! Hurry!"

As much as Fluttershy wanted to press for more details, the terror and urgency in Amethyst's voice made it clear now was not the time. The group immediately went into action: taking their positions and going through the actions they'd practiced so many times before. Except that this time they were treated to a cacophony of beeping and wailing alarms as tubes and wires came loose. Not to mention that this time a friend's life depended on their speed.

Fluttershy was about halfway through disconnecting everything in her section when she heard a savage blow against the room's door, and looked up in time to see it fly open. Amethyst, Spike, and Highflyer (who must have dropped down from the door handle when Fluttershy wasn't looking) all lunged for the door. For a moment, it looked like they would succeed in slamming it shut, but the door suddenly halted and someone or something on the other side began forcing it back open. As hard as the three tried they couldn't halt its progress.

"Cover for me, girls!" Screwjob shouted to the three mares around the bed before springing away from it to join the group at the door. His added strength was not enough to force the door completely shut, but it did prevent it from opening any further.

"Sky, you get the blanket, we'll get his section!" Applejack directed.

"Right." said Skywishes.

"Hurry, Fluttershy!" Applejack added.

"I'm hurrying! I'm hurrying!" Fluttershy squeaked as her hooves continued to fly over her section. But all the while she couldn't shake the worry that they—that Derpy—would run out of time. How much had already passed? One-thousand-one, one-thousand-two, one-thousand-three—She couldn't tell if her mental counter was going too fast or too slow!

And what if Applejack and I get in each other's way?! That's what we were trying to avoid! One-thousand-ten, one-thousand-eleven, one-thousand-twelve—Done!

Fluttershy moved to Screwjob's former section, reaching it at almost the same time as Applejack. Much to her surprise (and likely Applejack's as well), Screwjob hadn't worked his section left-to-right or right-to-left as most ponies would have, but had started in the middle and spread out in both directions.

"You take that part, I'll take this part," Applejack directed, indicating the unfinished section closest to her. Fluttershy nodded and took the other section. As odd and seemingly inefficient as she considered the wrestler's work pattern, she couldn't deny it eliminated the issue of her and Applejack possibly getting in each other's way.

As she rushed through disconnecting the remaining wires, she darted a covert glance toward the group bracing themselves against the door. Her fear spiked when she saw that despite all their combined efforts, the door was forced open several more inches and this time a burly stallion managed to thrust his head through the opening.

"No, ya don't!" she heard Highflyer growl before he sprang away from the door, and vaulted up onto Screwjob's shoulders. Perched there, he swung his tiny body about to slam both back hooves against the intruder's head. With a cry of either pain, surprise, or both, Fluttershy couldn't really be sure which, the burly stallion jerked his head back out of sight behind the door and this time the group managed to shut the door completely. And not a second too soon.

"That's everything, let's go!" Applejack shouted as she wedged herself against the bottom left side of the bed, and Fluttershy wedged herself against its top right side.

"Roger!" As Highflyer leaped off Screwjob's shoulders, the tall wrestler wrapped his forelegs around Amethyst, pulling her against him as if in a tight embrace. Only to promptly throw himself—and by extension the unicorn he was clutching—forward in a half-somersault, half-log roll that put him right up against the bed's right side. With Amethyst sandwiched between his body and the side of the bed, he grabbed the top and bottom of one leg in his front hooves, and the top and bottom of another in his back hooves, so that he formed a sort of sloppy spread-eagle against the bed's side.

Then Skywishes flew over them all, trailing the outspread paper blanket behind her to drape it over them. As she felt the blanket snag, followed by a round of three quick confirming tugs each from Applejack, Fluttershy, and Screwjob, she dropped down to the one remaining corner at the top of the bed, and took cover under the blanket as well.

While this was going on, Spike had swung up onto Highflyer's back, and the tiny stallion sprinted toward the far corner of the room. When he heard a muffled chorus of "Ready!" from underneath the paper blanket, Highflyer launched himself toward the opening Spike had left in the ceiling. He caught one edge of the hole with his front hooves, tucked his back legs up in front of him and hooked them over the other edge of the hole so that he was suspended from it like a sloth. He thought he heard the room's door swing back open, but at that moment Spike leaned backward from their upside-down position, and blasted a great torrent of flames down onto the blanket-covered mound below them. As the heat surged behind him, Highflyer felt two tugs on the back of his mask; Spike's signal for them to clear out. He hauled both himself and his passenger up into the ceiling, managing to turn the upward movement into a sideways tumble once they were inside the ceiling. As he felt Spike leave his back, Highflyer rolled onto his feet, and darted back to join the dragon in pulling the tile back over their exit both to prevent any fire from following them and to hide their getaway.


Meanwhile, at the TreeHAB, two unicorns and an alicorn waited on tenterhooks for the rescue party to reappear. Twilight dared not even get up and pace lest it accidentally caused the group to appear too far away from the awaiting life-support system.

Suddenly a mound covered in the familiar paper blanket burst into existence right in front of her. Scarcely had it materialized then a brown-black-pink-purple-and-camo blur rolled out from under the blanket. At first she thought it might be Skywishes, but as it came to a stop in front of Dinky and Rarity, she saw that it was Screwjob with his forelegs wrapped around Amethyst. The wrestler deposited her at the feet of her fellow unicorns and went rolling back across the floor toward the blanket-covered mound. Or rather the formerly blanket-covered mound because by that point Twilight had flown up and used her magic to jerk said blanket aside, revealing a hospital bed with a shimmering opaque dome in its center, and three ponies perched on most of its corners. Applejack, Fluttershy, and Skywishes all sprang from their perches on the bed, and began wildly connecting its occupant to the new life-support system. A split second later, Screwjob was there as well, also connecting systems.

Twilight circled above them, watching for any mishaps. The dome flickered, offering glimpses of its gruesome contents, and Twilight sent fresh bursts of magic into it, turning it opaque again. Suddenly the four ponies below her leaped away from the bed, Skywishes alighting on one of the pipes near the ceiling, and the remaining three hitting the deck below.

"That's it, Twilight! Throw the switch!"

The alicorn sent a blast of magic into the life-support system to jumpstart it.

For several agonizingly long seconds nothing happened.

Then there was a sharp hiss of a pump starting up, followed by a beeping sound that stuttered, then steadied. Twilight fluttered down to examine one of the system's main info gauges, and looked up at the other ponies with a weary smile. "Everything is operational, and the patient's reading is normal." she reported.

Dinky and Rarity had helped prop Amethyst up in a sitting position, but upon hearing this news, she promptly slumped forward, her cheek resting against the floor. "We made it, Mom," she said, her voice trembling with relief. "We made it."


Despite the bleakness of his own situation, Discord felt as if a burden had suddenly slid from him. "So, you managed to get them out of there in time. Oh, that's good."

The amount of relief in his voice seemed to startle the two ponies and he immediately tried to cover it by changing the subject. "By the way, did you find out how close you got to the time limit? I'll bet it was close. Like down to the last possible second or fraction of a second, wasn't it?"

To his surprise, Wisteria actually let out a small laugh. "Well ... Twilight, Dinky, and Amethyst did check and compare times later ... and we actually made it with ten seconds to spare."

"You're kidding!"

She just had to laugh again at his incredulous tone. "I'm not!"

He chuckled softly. "Well, who'd have thought throwing in all those kinks would speed things up? That wrestler of yours must have been moving like frozen molasses during your practice sessions."

Wisteria's amused smile suddenly fell.

Discord frowned at this. "What's wrong?"

She lowered her gaze. "Actually we think your decision to stay behind might have been what bought us those extra seconds we needed." She swallowed and looked back up at him with shining eyes. "Amethyst told us about what happened..."


Once Derpy was safely hooked up, the group at the TreeHAB was able to focus more attention on Amethyst. They helped her flush what remained of the soapy water out of her eyes, wash and comb her mane, and swap her torn drenched hospital gown for some much warmer, far more durable camo. Now she and her younger sister were twined together in a long-overdue snuggle while Amethyst related what had happened with Discord, and allowed Twilight to examine the broken stump of her horn.

"...I thought if he used me as a shield, it would give us a chance to escape—Ow!"

"Sorry," said Twilight. "You've got some bad bruising up on your forehead."

Screwjob peeked over her shoulder to examine the area. "You know, if they'd slammed your face down on that counter at a couple of slightly different angles, it could have broken your nose or knocked your teeth out."

Amethyst let out a weak half-laugh, half-groan. "How considerate of her. Too bad she couldn't have just slammed the side of my head against the counter and missed my horn all together while she was at it."

Fluttershy felt this statement was meant ironically, but Screwjob seemed to take it as genuine. "No way! A blow there would have done way worse damage! Really, sweetheart apart from your horn breaking, your forehead really is probably the best place to take a headshot." He rapped a hoof against his own forehead for emphasis. "Plenty of nice thick bone right up here."

"And there," Applejack nodded toward the back of his skull in passing. "And on top, not to mention plenty to spare on either side."

Screwjob actually seemed to preen at this observation. "True, I probably have the record for the overall thickest skull in existence."

"Certainly explains a lot."

"I wonder if I could repair this if I had the other pieces," Twilight mused, ignoring the earth ponies' repartee as she continued examining Amethyst's broken horn. "Maybe Spike and Highflyer could go get the pieces if they're still in the rest—"

At that moment the pink unicorn suddenly pulled away, provoking a startled "Amethyst?" from her sister, as the smaller unicorn tumbled to the side.

"I need some paper and something to write with," said Amethyst, looking about for the aforementioned items. Twilight quickly floated a paper and pencil to the unicorn who snatched them with a hasty "Thanks," and began writing something down.

"What are you doing?" Dinky asked, moving to both peer over her sister's shoulder and resume their cuddling.

However, Amethyst had already put aside the pencil and was holding the paper out toward Twilight. "If Spike and Highflyer do go looking for the pieces of my horn, could they also put this in a place where Mike would see it?"

The others came closer to see what she'd written.

Mike,

I can't tell you where I am now, but I just wanted you to know that I'm with my mom and sister, and that we're all alive and safe.

Amethyst Star

"Does that mean you don't think he was a changeling?" Applejack asked as she looked up from the note.

Amethyst blushed. "I'm not one-hundred percent sure ... but he did try to stop one of the other guards from shooting at me. I know we thought he might have been trying to trick me by acting all concerned, but I keep going over that scene in my mind. And I can't find a reason for him to take his caring act that far. If he were a disguised changeling, I think he would have just stood by and let me be shot at..."

A guilty look stole over her features. "Oh, why didn't it occur to me that they'd use that hostage situation to try to kill me? Especially right after one of them tried to drown me!"

"Considering what was going on, you probably didn't have much time to consider all the variables," Rarity pointed out.

"I know, but—"

"But nothing," said Skywishes. "We can't go back and redo what's been done. Our goal was to get you, your mom, and Discord here. We succeeded with you and your mom. Now we'll see if we can figure out a way to get Discord here."

Amethyst sent them each a grateful smile before holding the note out to Twilight once again. "Can they leave this for Mike? If it turns out he really is a changeling, there's nothing in this note he wouldn't already know. But if he's not ... I just want him to know I'm okay. I don't want him to worry."

Twilight took the note. "We'll see what we can do."

"Thanks," said Amethyst, settling back down, and wrapping one foreleg around Dinky to tuck the younger unicorn against her side once again. Then she reached over to retrieve something else from the floor. "Well, at least there's one good thing about having a broken horn. It won't get in the way when I wear this." And she clapped a camo-patterned combat helmet she'd found in Skywishes's gear on her head.

"You're probably not going to need that in here," Skywishes said dryly.

"I know, but I feel better with it—"


At that moment Discord felt a familiar tickling sensation on the side of his long neck and looked down to see inky words forming there.

Highflyer: "Have you reached him yet?!"

"We just finished telling him about the rescue," said Wisteria.

Highflyer: "Great. Now will you tell him to get this thing off my chest?!"

Discord cut his eyes from the words on his neck to the two disguised ponies, one shaggy brow cocked questioningly. "I trust an explanation is in order."

"Well, while we were taking care of Derpy and Amethyst, Spike and Highflyer stayed behind at the hospital, watching for a chance to contact you, but you were too heavily guarded. Then when you were put on the train, they hitched a ride on its undercarriage. But on the way there, there was a little ... um ... incident."


It had taken all Highflyer's athletic ability to get himself and Spike on the train without being seen, but they managed to get situated on its underside just as it started pulling away from the station.

"I'd better let Twilight know we made it," said Spike, fumbling in his jacket pocket for the letter. However, just as he was pulling it out, a great gust of wind whooshed under the train and jerked the letter from his claws.

"No!" Spike grabbed for the letter but missed. For a brief horrible moment the dragon and flightless pegasus could only stare helplessly as the letter was carried away from them.

But suddenly the paper jerked about and a black smear pulled free from it. The black snarl of ink morphed into a moth and barreled right back toward them, passed Spike, and struck Highflyer squarely in the chest. The tiny stallion rocked from the force of the impact but didn't lose his grip on the train above him.

However, the next moment he was gyrating about, pawing wildly at his chest with one free hoof. "Get out of there!"

The ink moth had landed right smackdab where Highflyer's falcon pendant was tattooed and now seemed to be, for lack of a better term ... burrowing into it.

"Stop it! Get off! Get out! Stop writing down everything I say!"

As the stallion thrashed about, Spike caught glimpses of words appearing across his stomach as they had earlier on the sheet of paper.

"High! Quiet down! They might hear you!" He could only hope the wind that had caused this situation in the first place would now be loud enough to cover it up.


Upon hearing this, Discord felt a laugh building in him. "You mean—?"

Highflyer: "Yes, your stupid tattoo has turned me into a walking memo pad, and I hate it!"

"Oh, be appreciative." Discord chortled. "I've never had my tattoos move in with somepony else's before." His muzzle curled up in a mischievous grin. "Tell me, do they make a cute couple? Are you worried about mine moving in? Why, just think of the cute like inky offspring they could make!" he teased. "It's really a one-of-a-kind privilege you've been given."

Highflyer: "Some privilege, I can't even cough or sneeze without it getting written out across my stomach. And it tickles! How do you stand these things?!"

"Well, normally mine admittedly aren't that thorough when it comes to their transcripts..."

Highflyer: "Look, can you just order your tattoo to get out of my chest and back onto a sheet of paper or something? It's really hard to communicate this way."

Discord chuckled, but—tempting as it was to continue toying with the pony—he decided to be lenient and grant the request. "Do you have any paper there now?"

Spike: "We do. Got it right here."

Discord nodded though he knew they couldn't see it. "Highflyer, put the paper against your chest. The tattoo should come off with it when I tell it to."

Spike: "The paper's in position."

"Good." Discord drummed his claws against several of the moth tattoos on his neck, signaling them to pass his message on. "All right. You've had your fun, now move onto the paper."

There were several seconds of silence, then fresh words appeared on his neck.

Highflyer: "It's not working."

Discord frowned and gave his neck tattoos a more vigorous tapping. "Come on, I said hop onto that paper."

"No, thank you. I like it better here."

Highflyer: "Are you kidding me?!"

"No, your chest is very compact and cozy."

Highflyer: "Oh, for crying out loud..."

"And your birdie is cute."

Highflyer: "It is not!"

"Hmm. Sounds like my tattoo is in the mood to be contrary." Discord muttered to the two ponies in front of him. "Can't imagine where it picked that up." Then addressing the words on his neck, he said, "Looks like we'll have to find some way to meet face-to-face so I can extract that tattoo manually."

Highflyer: "Swell. That's really nice."

Discord turned back to the two ponies in front of him. "I suppose this means the two of you got here via the Twilight-Spike Express."

Wisteria nodded. "We did. We were hoping to message you here, but when it turned out you were being watched just as closely as at the hospital, we had to find some other way to contact you. We thought about having one of us pose as a guard since we still have that armor Skywishes borrowed from here. But then there would still be three other guards we'd have to worry about. The only other option we could come up with that would give us a chance to see you privately would be as your lawyer."

"Wisteria originally planned to try passing herself off as your lawyer," Regal Love added. "But after some discussion we agreed I'd make a better candidate."


"Not to be rude, Rare," said Screwjob, his body contorted about in a pose that allowed him to scratch the back of his neck with one rear hoof, "but what makes you any more qualified to pass for a lawyer than Fluttershy?"

"The fact that I've read every single one of Tequila Mockingbird's legal thrillers at least three times."

Screwjob raised both eyebrows at this, then gave her a measuring look. "Huh. I wouldn't have figured you for a Rackets fan."


"Neither would I," said Discord, then quickly added, "Not that I object to having you as my lawyer. I mean madness knows—"

At that moment the door swung open. "Time's up!"

Pale blue light flashed from Regal Love's horn and she jumped, feigning surprise. "Oh, you startled me!" she chided the guards. "I was so focused on my client, I didn't notice you." She cleared her throat as if feeling sheepish. "Well, now that I've spoken with him, I believe it's best we go look at the case files, the prosecution's evidence, etc. Wisteria?"

Wisteria gave her a quick nod, then shot an equally quick look toward Discord, keeping her back to the guards as she mouthed: We'll be back soon. Don't lose hope.

Putting a hand up to the side of his face as if to scratch an itch, he shot Wisteria—Oh, who was he kidding? Fluttershy—a smirk that the guards couldn't see. Lose hope? As she and Regal Love were escorted from the room, it was all he could do not to wave cheerfully after them. Despite being caged up, unable to use his magic, and having his every move watched, all the draconequus could seem to feel at the moment was elation. Derpy and Amethyst were out of harm's way, and he had not been abandoned!

They had not abandoned him.

She had not abandoned him.


The next few minutes were an uneasy blur for Wisteria as she and Regal Love were escorted to the room reserved for them. Once they were alone, they each retrieved a flask of potion from their respective suit pockets and took a quick swig to touch up their dye jobs for the next several hours.

"Well, I'd better get a look at these case files," said Regal Love, gesturing toward a stack on a nearby desk. Humming softly, she lifted the first folder and opened it to examine its contents.

Suddenly her face went so pale, Wisteria wondered for a second if the potion had malfunctioned and was wearing off. "Regal...?"

"Oh no, no, no, no, no," the unicorn was babbling, her voice growing more hysterical with every syllable. "I can't do this! I can't argue this case!"

What?! Wisteria gaped at her friend, trying to wrap her head around the fact that up until now Regal Love had faced this endeavor with an air of unshakable confidence only to suddenly flip-flop. "But you've read all those legal thrillers by Tequila Mockingbird. What changed your mind?"

"The prosecutor."

"What? Why? Who is it?"

"Tequila Mockingbird." The name came out in a croak.

Wisteria felt her own mind reel. "I thought you said she retired from being a lawyer to write."

"She did! But she's come back especially for this case!" Regal Love ran her hooves over her face. "Oh, she'll rip us apart! I might know every trick in the book, but she's the one who wrote the book! I can't do this! I can't do this! We can't—"

At that moment Wisteria's mind suddenly flashed back to their earlier visit with Discord, remembering how his whole spirit seemed to lift and stay that way even as they left. Remembering the renewed hope she'd seen kindle in his eyes. And now Regal Love was suggesting they just throw all that away?!

She reached out and grabbed Regal Love's head in her hooves. "You can quit if you want," she said, her eyes locked with Regal's. She pulled the unicorn forward, their noses pressed against each other and her gaze even more intent. "But know that I'm staying here."

This fierce declaration from her normally meek friend snapped the unicorn out of her hysterics as effectively as a physical slap, and she pulled away, gaping at the quivering pony.

Wisteria looked away, and went on in a soft but nonetheless firm voice, "I won't let her or anypony else take Discord away from me!" Then the ferocity seemed to leave her and she murmured almost as if to herself, "I can't."

There was something about her expression and tone as she spoke those two words...

Regal Love suddenly remembered how over a year ago she had suggested Big Mac take Fluttershy out on a date. Her shy friend had been through so much, what with facing all that danger while trying to solve Applejack's disappearance, and having to work with a rather less than ideal partner ... if any mare deserved a shot at going out with a desirable stallion, Fluttershy did. And Big Mac had seemed like such a natural fit for her friend that it had surprised, almost shocked Rarity to later learn the two had merely parted amiably, agreeing that while they were friends, they were not interested in each other romantically.

At least that's what Fluttershy had said. However, it hadn't escaped Rarity's attention that while Big Mac had moved on to see other ponies, Fluttershy hadn't. A casual observer might have just chalked this up to Fluttershy being satisfied with singlehood, but throughout the past year Rarity had noticed that, no matter how hard Fluttershy tried to hide it, the pegasus was being plagued with a melancholy that just didn't jive with the contentment of a happy single. This had led Rarity to wonder if Fluttershy (despite her earlier claim to the contrary) might secretly be pining for Big Mac, but now...

"Fluttershy." Though the word was whispered, the disguised pegasus started at the sound of her real name, and looked questioningly at her friend.

"Why exactly is this case so important to you? What exactly does he mean to you?"

Fluttershy didn't need to ask which he Rarity was referring to. He's... She tried to organize her thoughts into the proper words. He's my friend. Well, maybe he isn't, but I'm his and ... and... She suddenly wished she still had her long mane to hide behind or maybe her wings to fidget with, because the longer Rarity studied her, the more she felt as if all the warring emotions she'd been dealing with the past year were completely exposed, and try as she might she couldn't get them in a cohesive order. Discord would be having a field-day with this. a small voice in the back of her head pointed out snidely.

"Fluttershy?"

Fluttershy shook herself, realizing she still hadn't responded. What exactly did Discord mean to her...?

"I wish I knew, Rarity." Fluttershy murmured, looking at her hooves. "Oh, how I wish I knew." She looked up to see puzzlement—and was that suspicion?—on Rarity's features. Suddenly the burden she'd grappled with alone all this time was just too much to bear any longer.

"I love him, Rarity."

The unicorn's eyes widened, and Fluttershy felt compelled to add, "Not just as another friend, I..." she tried to go on but tears suddenly choked her throat. She sniffed, swallowed, and fought past them. "I love him, but I don't know where I stand with him. I thought things were going so well after we found Applejack ... but then he just left me."

"Darling, I had no idea—"

Fluttershy choked out a short bitter laugh. "I didn't even realize it myself until that date with Big Mac."

"You did? Oh, dear. Darling, you don't mean to say that the date was so horrible you—"

"No, that was just it. The date had all the right elements to be wonderful. Big Mac is a lovely sweet guy, I should have been thrilled to be with him, and it bothered me that I wasn't. Until I realized it was because I wanted Discord to have that place in my life."

Rarity's expression softened at this, the romantic in her clearly touched, but a beat later it promptly hardened again. "But then Discord left you that same night without even a word of explanation."

The pain in her heart as Fluttershy remembered that terrible night was once again a raw open wound. "If he could have just told me why he suddenly went from not being able to keep his hands off—" She halted and blushed. "I didn't mean that quite the way it sounded. I just meant he'd pick me up, or stroke my mane, or just snuggle close to me.

"Why would he go from that to suddenly wanting nothing to do with me? If it were anypony else, it'd be obvious that something wasn't adding up, but how can I apply that to Discord when he prides himself on doing things that don't add up?

"I thought I could confront him about it when we got everyone settled at the TreeHAB. Then I thought I could confront him about it here, but now with that possible death sentence hanging over his head ... I just can't add another burden to that. Just because I'm in love with him, doesn't mean he's obligated to feel the same way toward me."

Rarity let out a small laugh. "That doesn't seem to have dissuaded a certain wrestler where a certain farmpony is concerned."

Fluttershy had to laugh as well, remembering how just recently Screwjob had answered Applejack's exasperated "How many times do you have to hear the word 'No'?" with a "How many times will it take you to whittle it down to a 'Not yet'?"

"That's different," she murmured, her smile fading.

Rarity raised an eyebrow. "Is it?"

"You've seen the way things go between them. He constantly flirts with her, and she constantly rejects him ... and as crazy as it sounds ... he loves it."

Rarity had to agree. Where Applejack was concerned, Screwjob always seemed to revel in the very struggle that was meant to discourage.

"But that's not how I am." Fluttershy went on. "I can't just keep pursuing somepony who doesn't want me..." The tears fell and she scrubbed frantically at them, forcing them back again as she tried to stay firm. "But even if I was that sort of pony, it doesn't matter now. What matters is proving Discord's innocence. If we can do that, I don't care if he leaves me all over again and never returns."

Rarity's expression looked skeptical, and Fluttershy sighed.

"No," she admitted. "I would care if he did that. But if it were a choice between him leaving me, and him being executed, I'd rather he leave me."

Rarity looked stunned, and Fluttershy couldn't blame her. It had been a lot to drop on a friend all at once and the confession left Fluttershy feeling suddenly drained.

Rarity seemed to pick up on this because she promptly said, "Well, it seems we have a big day tomorrow. How about you get some sleep while I take the first watch?"

Fluttershy gave her a weary smile. "Thanks, Rarity." Then she pulled the unicorn into a tight hug. "And thanks ... for listening."

Rarity returned the hug, then motioned for Fluttershy to lay down, while she kept watch ... and mused on her friend's revelation.

Author's Note:

*Cracks knuckles* Well, it looks like we've got a new antagonist on the horizon in addition to all the other obstacles the Odd Couple and their buddies are facing. The next couple chapters are going to be tricky so updates might be a bit slow, but I promise they will come.

Phew! Got this posted just in time for Easter, so Happy Easter everyone!

And as always, a big thank you to Nightwalker for his suggestions and editing of this chapter.

Slight tangent:
Thanks to misskoifishpony, I found out that my story The Draconequus with the Dragon Tattoo got a shoutout for Fluttercord Week 2022 Fanfic Appreciation in the form of this comic:
https://www.deviantart.com/pinkikiwi/art/Fluttercord-Week-2022-Fanfic-Appreciation-905709623
Once again, thanks Missy for telling me about it and thanks Pinkikiwi for drawing it.