• Published 11th Mar 2019
  • 2,118 Views, 166 Comments

Graveyard Shift - TDR



Princess Luna forms her own group to deal with the threats to Equestria.

  • ...
6
 166
 2,118

The boss is watching, look busy....

Graveyard Shift
By TDR

The boss is watching, look busy....

[Canterlot]

Ginger Gold was bored.

The opulent room she was in was some sort of study. Polished brass and what was some sort of fancy well varnished wood gave the room a rich reddish appearance. Mage light's filled the room with a soft flickering glow like real candle light, clearly the owner had either not upgraded to modern electricity yet, or didn't want to.

The whole left side of the room was a massive book case , one that spiraled up to the vaulted ceiling far above with a brass stair case and walkway that led up to the near second story of books. The air had a scent of wood , polished metal and the unmistakable scent of old tomes.

Across from the large doors on the far wall were two window doors that lead out onto a small balcony that wrapped around the back of a large slate stone fireplace. The fire place was not lit due to this being the middle of summer, but Ginger expected the whole room would be nice and toasty with that lit in the winter. Two stuffed armchairs rested by the fireplace with a thick rug before it covering the marble floor.

Various other chairs and couches dotted the room, acting as little reading nooks, or circled in a way for polite conversation. The vaulted ceiling showed a star filled nightscape in mosaic tile that seemed to shift and move, the little tiles lighting up in a slow pattern that to Ginger looked like the natural sky slowly rotating from one horizon to another. She was quite certain she had seen a few shooting stars cross the magic scene as well. Pretty impressive as it was day time outside.

A collection of various gargoyles sat in the odd corners and supports in the massive room, looming over the library as if staring at the occupants. She recognized a bat pony and a few others, but some of the gargoyles didn't seem based off any creature she knew. There were also thirteen of them in the rafters which was a odd number, but likely related to superstitions .

Still, whoever heard of putting those ugly rain spouts inside? Privileges of the rich it seemed.

Ginger was told the manor itself that she was meeting the others was to be their headquarters if they agreed with what ever it was the Princess of the Night was going to ask. There were a number of rooms, a big training yard, and a couple dozen servants scurrying around trying to avoid them. Most importantly to Ginger there was a fairly large forested area at the edge of the property.

She wasn't sure who the place belonged to but it had the scent and feel of old money.

Ginger sighed trying not to fidget on the couch she occupied, her gold eyes darted over the rooms other occupants curiously. She had given the lot of them a curious glance to start with though she had yet to try and strike up a conversation with any of them.

The biggest thing in the room was the centaur. The zebra striped white mare, well Ginger expected it was a mare, she had never seen a centaur before, seemed a fairly friendly sort . Red fur covered the odd minotaur like upper body with a dark blue mane that fell back between a pair of small black horns. She also wore a dark gray shirt of some kind that covered her chest and back of her upper form and left her arms free.

Ginger been introduced to her briefly, her name was Locasta, though anything more than that was lost as the as the centaur had seen the books and any further conversations were ignored. She had focused all her attention onto the books in the shelves, greedily devouring all the information within.

The centaur already had a small pile on the table next to her and as she read and that was only getting larger.

Another figure that had been more of a grump than anything else was a heavily bundled pony on another couch. His voice when he spoke had the light timber of a young stallion or perhaps an older colt. His unwillingness to remove his body concealing cloak despite the days heat raised a few alarms in her mind, but his short comments and responses reminded her of some of the 'edgy teens in Long Den.
There was also something odd about his scent she didn't recognize.

Curled up by the fire place was some sort of large orange fox. Ginger had thought the still beast some sort of giant fox shaped pillow until one of it's ears moved. Amber eyes opened to regard her a moment and she was quite certain it smiled at her before it curled back up to continue to doze.

An odd pet to be sure, though something smelled very wrong about this fox and she kept her distance.

The other pony in the room was a dapper looking unicorn stallion. He had a number of bandages covering various parts of him and the black furred stallion almost looked like a mummy. At first she thought his mane and tail were red, though looking closer it was closer to a wine coloration. His scent was odd too, he smelled a bit like the ocean, but also like charred flesh with an undercurrent of something she didn't recognize.

Given all he seemed to be doing was staring up at the gargoyles, she figured she'd try to see what his deal was.

“Oy, yah look like you were in a bit of kerfuffle there, yah doing alright?” Ginger Gold asked moving over to the stallion in the chair. He lowered his gaze to meet hers, his green eyes regarding her a moment before he spoke.

“I suppose I can say I have been better, but I am doing much better than I was a week ago when I met the Princess.” His voice had an odd cracking to it as he spoke, though it was still rather mellow, perhaps he hurt his throat too.

“Ahh, she scooped yah up tah bring yah here too huh. Any clue as tah why?”

“Fraid not. I was some what delirious at the time and what little I picked up was she has a job for me.”

“Yeah got that little speech meself when she posted bail.” Ginger smiled. “Ginger Gold, nice tah meet another who's at least a bit talkative here.”

“Stigma.” the stallion nodded. “Forgive me if I'm a tad short of conversation, but I've been a bit weak since I got my injuries.”

“Sokay ah didn't expect a life story outta yah Still can't help wonder what tha four of us are here for.” Ginger grumbled looking back at the others.

“Five.” Stigma offered.

“Well yah if yah count tha big ol beastie of a fox.” Ginger agreed.

Stigma looked over at the still slumbering creature and raised an eyebrow curiously. “Six. I had not considered that one.”

“Six?” Ginger glanced around getting a head count again, before the doors to the room opened.

A pair of unicorn ponies strode in, the pair were instantly recognized by the group as they had already met the two advisers before. The white well dressed blond unicorn was a noble by the name of Prince Blueblood, Prince was his actual name, not his title. And a scruffy gray furred and amber maned unicorn stallion that was built like a brick house and had a heavy curved sword on his side was Jer'rahd Kaisur. Evidently he was a recently retired Captain of the guard that had been brought into this to be a contact along with Prince.

Ginger tried not to drool, he had the sort of burly build that made her want to retire to her bunk.

Stigma looked at her strangely for a moment before looking at the door and rolling his eyes.

Another figure followed that made Ginger forget all about the beefy pony. The massive gold and brown figure of a snake shimmied across the floor behind them, seeming to have a bit of issue finding traction on the marble floors.

“A naga?” Ginger questioned tilting her head.” Ain't seem many of them this far north.”

Stigma again glanced at the earth pony mare as if reappraising her.

The centaur and the hooded pony as well as the fox regarded the naga a moment before returning to what they were doing, reading, sulking, and sleeping.

The former guard captain surveyed the room, his eyes pausing on each of the ones present , including the fox before glancing up into the rafters at the gargoyles as if checking out to see if there was anything up there.

“Terribly sorry for the wait, the Princesses should be along shortly. Princess Luna is explaining the situation to her sister at the moment. “Prince Blue Blood explained as he moved aside to let the naga in. “If you have any requests, I will be sure to have a servant take them...”

He paused as Ginger raised a hoof.

“No Hard cider miss Apple, not before a meeting with the Princesses.” Prince continued ignoring the mares exaggerated sigh. “Miss Naunet, if you would. Do let us know if there's anything you need.”

“Perhapsss a bit more carpeting.....” The naga frowned glaring at the floor she had slid along as if it was personally offending her.

Prince was unperturbed though Jer'rahd snorted a bit in amusement.” I will see what I can do.” Prince sighed and nodded lightly before turning to head out.

Jer'rahd gave the gathered group the once over with another glance to the rafters as if he missed something before turning to head out after Prince.

“Soooo any one have any cards?” Ginger asked with a small grin.


“She's nuts.” Jer'rahd growled.

“That is not our place to say.” Prince sighed.

“I would think given our position it IS our place to say.” Jer'rahd retorted. “Every thing in that room is a disaster waiting to happen.”

The stallions were trotting down the hall each having their own thoughts on the matter.

“Would you prefer them to still be out and about where they could become an unknown threat?” prince offered.

“I've read the files, Blueblood, the only one who was a risk is the mare, and she's had her issues for years. The rest would have died or been killed where they were. With what that colt did alone, bringing them all together for this is a mistake.”

“I do not like it either, but we are not in charge. We are here to make sure it does not go wrong, with you overseeing this and my contacts the idea still has some merit despite how it looks now.“ Prince sighed. “Would you prefer Princess Celestia's plans to rely on those six mares?”

“This should be a guard task....”

“She doesn't agree with that... and neither does Princess Luna. Princess Cadence is staying out of it. Probably the wisest of the three.”

“No arguments there. Still with who she found, I can't think Princess Celestia is going to take this well.” Jer'rahd let out a grumble.”Especially with the colt and the bird.”

“On that we agree.” Prince Blue Blood nods.


“Are you out of your starry mind?” Celestia snorted as she stormed along with her sister.

“We sense that thee are some what upset sister. Mayhaps thou hast not found a stallion with enough length and girth to make it past thine posterior during a mounting?” Luna questioned.

“Luna......” Celestia growled.

“We informed thee we would be traveling Tia, the dreams we found were not all of those close to Canterlot.” Luna sighed seeing where this was going.

“You just got back, you have yet to readjust to the modern world and suddenly you're racing off to who knows where without so much as telling a guard?” Celestia ranted. “ There are already those who suspect you are going to try and take the throne from me.... and those are the ones who didn't even know about Nightmare Moon. “

“Tia...”

Plus I just got you back and there's no telling what could have happened to you out there. The few places in Equestria you went were fine, but the Zebra are already a superstitious people and you are regarded as a dark omen to them. Then you went to a known town full of pirates....”

“We are fine sister. No harm came to us and we have found those we wish to make our offer to.” Luna sighed. “We owe thine student and her friends far too much to allow them to continue to to be the first to face danger. If these seven accept we can protect thine student and perhaps even start in mending the rift that has formed between the two of thee. These seven will be trained and know what they are getting into before hoof. We know what thee were trying with this student and we have heard tales of thine former student. The last thou told everything and she abandoned thee, this one you told nothing and it worked perfectly, until she slugged you. This will not do sister.”

Celestia sighed. “ You should have just taken some guard for this assignment Luna. There was no need for you to be running off every where on your own.”

“The Guard either all think we are still an enemy whom hast not shown her hoof, or an enemy whom has tricked thee. None would serve me.”

“I'll have a talk with them...”

“No. Let them believe what they wish, we do not wish any to be forced into serving us. Tis bad enough the young lord and the former Captain are in such a state, we do not wish for those we want to use to help to fear or hate us as well, they will serve if they wish , and they will be freed if they do not. We have promised them that already.”

“Fine.... You're almost as stubborn as me when I make up my mind. Let's see this crew of yours Lulu.” Celestia offered her sister a smile.

Luna returned it.