• Published 21st Aug 2012
  • 10,484 Views, 380 Comments

Catch You - PinkiePie35



Sometimes you don't know how much you truly love a friend until you lose them.

  • ...
28
 380
 10,484

I'm so sorry...

Instantly upon seeing her, Scootaloo hovered, staring in disbelief as her hero fell.

Finally, as she came to her senses, she sped straight out to where Dash was falling like a jet.

She crashed through several clouds, stopping at nothing to reach her.

Rainbow, falling, was slightly higher than where Scootaloo was, but she was still quite far away.

Knowing that she had be quick if she were to catch Dash, Scootaloo picked up her speed and raced faster yet toward her falling hero.

Scootaloo was closing the distance gradually, but Rainbow was still falling too fast.

Rainbow was now almost horizontally level with Scootaloo, although still very far away.

Scootaloo kicked her wings into overdrive and began to fly even faster, trying desperately to close more distance between them before Rainbow was further down than Scootaloo. She knew that once Dash was lower in the sky than she was, she would no longer be able to fly straight out to her, but would have to start flying downward, which would require her to fly much faster if she were to catch her.

Still a little more than an estimated seven hundred feet away, Dash was now lower in the sky than Scootaloo, and she kept falling.

Scootaloo angled her wings slightly downwards, and continued flying towards Rainbow Dash, who was now slightly below her altitude. Her wings were burning with pain from flying so fast, but she didn't dare stop. She kept going diagonally downwards towards Rainbow. The pain in her wings was agonizing, but rather than giving into the impulse of slowing down, Scootaloo only accelerated.

She had only an estimated ten seconds of flight time left between her and Dash when Scootaloo realized how close they both were getting to the ground.

The ground seemed to have teleported closer to them, as it appeared much nearer than it did just a few seconds ago.

They were only as high as the lowest clouds, and it would be, without a doubt, less than half a minute before Dash collided with the ground.

Worse yet, Dash was still a few feet below Scootaloo in the sky.

Scootaloo gave one final exertion of strength and drove her wings to the limit as she finally closed the horizontal distance. She was now not very far above Dash, although she did have some vertical distance to close, and she continued soaring straight downwards with all her might to save her idol's life.

Slowly, Scootaloo began to get closer and closer to Dash, but the ground was approaching at a terrifying rate.

Scootaloo focused on Rainbow Dash as the tears from the wind flew out of her eyes.

Rainbow's body was charred slightly; her belly was blackened and her hooves were dirty with black dust.

Her wings were flailed open as she fell.

Scootaloo, still getting closer, focused then upon Rainbow Dash's face.

It was then that Scootaloo noticed Rainbow's eyes.

They were open, and looking straight at Scootaloo with fear.

She was still alive, and conscious no less.

"Help," She mouthed.

At this, Scootaloo drover her wings beyond their limit, and she could no longer feel them. She was now even closer to Dash; she was almost within touching distance. With only a few feet left in between them, Scootaloo looked behind Rainbow Dash and saw that the ground was literally only a second away. In one final and desperate effort, Scootaloo darted downward and grabbed for one of Rainbow's hooves.

She missed.

Scootaloo lost her composure in grabbing for Dash's hoof, and her body flipped out of its downward position.

Scootaloo recovered quickly, and was about to begin soaring downwards again to catch Rainbow.

But it was then that she looked down and saw that it was too late.

There, on the ground, Rainbow lay, her wings mangled behind her back, and her face freckled with only three tiny drops of blood.

Her wings had been open, and the impact had been slightly nullified, as her wings acted somewhat like a parachute.

Because of this, Rainbow was (beyond Scootaloo's knowing) barely conscious, and had not been killed instantly. Nevertheless, it was obvious that the damage was already done. It looked fatal.

Scootaloo flew down to Rainbow as fast as she could, landed on the ground, and burst in tears upon seeing her fallen hero.

Scootaloo rested her head upon Rainbow's charred belly and cried. Cursedly , Ponyville hospital was miles away from them.

She had failed her hero, her idol, her inspiration and her sister, and the realization was too much for Scootaloo to handle well.

"Rainbow Dash... I'm s-so sorry.... I... I couldn't.... catch you..."

Scootaloo could barely talk in sad heaves between her crying.

"Sh... it's okay squirt, don't worry..."

Scootaloo, unaware at first that Rainbow was even still conscious, looked up at Rainbow's face.

"Rainbow... you're... still alive..."

Rainbow managed a weak smile. Then she began again.

"It's... not... your fault...really..." Dash whispered.

"W-whaddaya mean... it's not my fault?" Scootaloo sobbed.

She paused for a moment.

Then, Scootaloo began again. "You were there for me... when I needed you... you helped me get...my cutie mark...you trained with me... for the Junior Speedstars... and I couldn't even.. catch... you..."

Rainbow Dash chuckled weakly.

"Squirt, what are you talkin' about?" Dash replied. "Training with you, being there for you- heck, even just being with you- it was my pleasure, you... you were... you were the little sister I never had, Scootaloo. I loved you as if you... were my family.... and I still do love you... Do you know that?"

Painfully, in tears, Scootaloo nodded her head up and down, crying uncontrollably.

"Watching you grow was more of a gift... than I could ever ask for... having someone to cheer me on... to be my fan... and my friend... that in itself... was more than you could ever imagine... so please... don't blame yourself for this. Promise me that... please... little sis?"

Scootaloo was now full out wailing in her tears.

"O-okay... Rainbow... I... promise..."

Rainbow showed relief on her face now.

"Okay... good... Scoot, listen now..." Dash began to whisper.

Scootaloo tilted her tear stained face up very slightly towards Dash.

"You are a great... flyer... I don't care if you caught me... or not... you got potential, kid... you just have to believe in yourself... I believe in you, squirt..."

"But I couldn't fly fast enough... t-to save you..."

"But you flew great!" Rainbow replied.

"That was a seriously long distance that you flew... and even if you didn't catch me... you flew so fast, heck, I haven't seen a filly your age fly that fast s-since... well... me, really," said Rainbow, laughing a tiny bit at her boasting.

Even Scootaloo let a little laugh out between her cries.

"Ahahah... thanks... I guess..." said Scootaloo, trying to look somewhat happy to Dash.

Rainbow, with the last of her strength, wrapped her hooves around Scootaloo.

"Kiddo, I need... you... to make one last... promise to me..."

It was obvious that Rainbow was starting to fade, and that she only had a few final seconds with Scootaloo.

"A-anything... anything for you, R-rainbow Dash..." said Scootaloo softly inbetween sobs.

Rainbow Dash began whispering for the last time.

"Promise... me.... promise me that you'll never give up on yourself... I know at times... things may seem pretty... hopeless.. but trust me... friends will get you through those tough times... I want you to grow strong... make friends... be a great flyer... and show the world that you're a real special one.... ever since I met you... I always wanted the best for you... I'm sorry I won't be... able to be there... for you... anymore... but please... promise me... that you... will try your best... and be your best... for me... please?"

Tears ran down Scootaloo's cheeks, and she rested her head upon Rainbow's chest, still crying.

"I...promise..." She managed to get out.

"Good... now listen... I h-have to... g-go now... know that I will always love you... and that... I will always b-believe in you...always..."

"O-okay Dash..." Said Scootaloo, breathing uncontrollably heavy through her wet eyes.

"I love you Rainbow Dash..."

"I... love you... too... squirt..."

Scootaloo slowly began stroking Rainbow's mane, and very slowly, Rainbow began to close her eyelids.

With her other hoof, she held Rainbow's hoof tightly, and held a gaze with Dash's magenta eyes as she faded away...

Scootaloo painfully squinted her eyes in tears as she finally lost sight of Rainbow's glowing magenta eyes.

Scootaloo could still feel Rainbow's heart beating, and her body was still warm....

Scootaloo stayed loyal by her fallen hero, stroking her hair, resting her head upon her stomach, until finally, Rainbow's heart slowed down, beating slower.... slower........ slower..............

Until finally... it stopped altogether.

In a matter of minutes, the heat from Dash's body flowed out of her and into the air around her.

Scootaloo cried loudly, her head still on Dash's body. She kissed Rainbow on the head once more.

"I love you...Rainbow... Dash..."

Slowly, Scootaloo got up onto her shaky legs, picked up Rainbow Dash, and placed her on her back.

Scootaloo blinked a few times to get the remaining tears out of her eyes, and wiped the residual tears off of her face with her hoof.

Slowly, she began walking to the general direction of Ponyville.

Scootaloo looked up in the sky, and saw the stars gazing down at her, the beautiful moon hanging in the sky, and with the last of her spirit, smiled up at them.









The gentle air was tolerantly humid, the glistening stars a delightful backdrop on the deep, dark blue sky.