• Published 29th Mar 2019
  • 4,497 Views, 634 Comments

The Archetypist - Cold in Gardez



I knew there would be trouble when Discord started asking about dreams. He just wanted to make them better, he said. More interesting. In a way he was right – in a very terrible way that we must stop, before it is too late.

  • ...
61
 634
 4,497

Chapter 17

Starlight was waiting for me in the library. She was a changeling today, one of the new kind, with a pastel candy shell reminiscent of her old coat and an impressive set of stag beetle antlers. Her wings clicked and buzzed when she saw me enter.

“Did you find him?” she asked.

“I did. We talked.” I moved a few stray books from our common table onto a reshelving cart and set Trixie’s package in their place. For all that it was only cloth, it felt like a heavy weight leaving my back. “He’s just as scared as we are. He’s going to help us put things back.”

“Help? Why not just…” She waved a hoof around. “Do like he normally does? Snap his claws and poof, fixed?”

“That’s how he causes chaos, but that’s not what we’re asking him to do. We’re asking him to undo chaos, and that’s a job for the Elements of Harmony.”

“Ah.” She seemed to deflate a bit. “Well, I’ll just… cheer you girls on, then.”

“Starlight…” I trotted over and wrapped my legs around her. For all that she had changed, for all that her hide was now a hard shell and her mane a frill of diaphanous nacre, her scent remained the same. Bed linens and sweat and candle wicks, with a hint of cordite lingering from her nights with Trixie. “You’ve done more than anypony else. I’d be lost without you. I’d still be freezing to death in my shower without you. When this is all over, you’ll be the hero, not me.”

“I don’t feel like a hero.” She sighed, but after a moment she returned my embrace, and we sat there in silence, just holding each other.

Eventually she turned to the box on the table. “What’s that?”

“It’s from Rarity. Trixie’s new hat and cape. Is she here? She’ll probably want it now.”

“Ah, she’s around somewhere. Invisible again.” Starlight disentangled herself from my legs and approached the table. The box glowed as she pulled it closer, and the twine holding it shut parted with a quiet snick. Suction bowed the sides of the box inward as she lifted the lid.

“Oh.” Starlight put the lid down. I waited for more, but she just stared at the box and its contents. I walked over to join her, and the trance snared me as well.

The cape drew my gaze like a whirlpool. It was a thousand different colors of blue, vivid as sapphire and deep as the ocean. The silver stars embroidered on it seemed to float in space, so depthless was the cloth. I could fall into it and sink forever.

I split the box with my magic and lifted the cape. It fell open to its full length, and it was as if a section of my library was gone, replaced by the cold blue predawn sky. Thousands of stars glowed like embers on its field. They seemed to shift and sparkle in time with my heart.

“How…” Starlight lifted the hat with her hooves and pressed it against her cheek. “How did she make this? How could anypony make something like this?”

The memory of Rarity drawing the silk out of her body rose up in my mind, and I shook it away. “She has some new tools. Can you make sure Trixie gets it?”

“Of course. Celestia... I can’t wait to see the look on her face when she sees it.” Starlight took the cape and folded it back into a neat rectangle. For all that it was unworldly, it behaved like normal cloth. “What else? What do we need to do?”

“Find the other Elements. Get them here tonight to help.”

“What if they don’t want to?”

What about Applejack? she meant. I didn’t have a good answer for that. “Just talk to them. If they still embody their elements, they’ll come. That… that should be good enough. We’ll work with what we have.”

She nodded and bundled the hat up with the cape, holding both against her breast. She opened her mouth, as though she wanted to add something more, but instead she quickly hurried out, vanishing up toward the castle’s private quarters.

I stared up at the ceiling and the sun beyond it. I could see it effortlessly, through meters of solid crystal and my shades and the blindfold and my closed eyelids. It could never hide from me again. As I gathered my courage to go back out, to find what remained of my friends, that thought comforted me. No matter whether we succeeded or failed tonight, the sun would always remain, and as long as it remained, I would never be truly alone.

But I wanted my friends back. I would do anything for that. I tightened my blindfold and stepped back out into the dream Ponyville had become.

* * *

I didn’t find all my friends that day. Fluttershy was gone when I got back to her cottage, and of course Applejack was off to the four winds. But I found Rainbow Dash, soaring like an eagle high above the plains west of Ponyville. She was barely a dot in the sky, and it took me most of an hour to approach her altitude. The thin air drained my lungs and stamina, and frost built on the tips of my wings. It was only when she noticed me and descended to my level that we could talk. I could only gasp a few words at a time before running out of breath.

She listened as I explained. I think. She didn’t say anything, and I’m honestly not sure if she could talk with a beak like that. How did gryphons do it? Maybe their beaks were more flexible than they seemed. But Dash’s apparently wasn’t, so she just soared alongside me while I talked, and when my lungs finally gave out and my wings folded like wet paper, she caught me in her talons and lowered me back to the ground. The shadow of her wingspan stretched across half the town.

Pinkie was in Sugarcube Corner, looking exactly like I remembered. Almost suspiciously so. But we got to talking about dreams over cups of hot cocoa, and she told me she dreamed about owning a bakery and making ponies smile. And now that Mister and Missus Cake were gone, her dream had come true.

I told her I’d buy her a bakery if we managed to put things back the way they were. I was pretty sure princesses could do things like that. I doubted anypony would stop me. So by the time the sun set and the night came alive with giddy, howling stars, I was secure in the aid of three of my friends.

Four Elements of Harmony should be able to do a lot. Or, perhaps, nothing – part of harmony’s definition was working as a seamless whole, and we had a lot of holes still.

But it was what I had to work with. I gathered the jeweled necklaces from the Tree of Harmony and clutched them like foals to my breast. Even through the blindfold and smoked lenses I could see the magic sparkling in them. Touching them was like touching hope itself.

The sun was well below the horizon by then. I levitated the crown onto my head, lets its magic flow through me, and teleported back home.

* * *

Starlight was waiting for me in the library, staring out the window at the darkening town. Beside her, Trixie’s cape and hat floated in the air like puppets on invisible strings. They leapt and flowed and pirouetted, and for a moment I could imagine I saw the invisible mare herself, dancing for our enjoyment. The edges of the cape snapped in the air like a whip, and the stars stitched on the cloth shone as bright as diamonds, dazzling me. With a final flutter the cape swooshed toward me, tickling my chin with the wash of its passage, and then it flitted over to Starlight and draped itself over her shoulders with a silent cottony sigh. The hat followed a moment late, landing gently on her horned brow. It looked comfortable there, like it wanted her to bear it.

I trotted over to Starlight. She wore her changeling skin still. She rubbed her cheek against the embroidered rim of the cape, then gave me a smile.

“Hey.” I nuzzled her politely. She smelled of bed linens and sweat and candle wicks and cordite. “Where’d Trixie go?”

“I’m wearing her. Did you find everypony?”

Ah. A pang of something like regret shot through me, stealing a beat from my heart. I touched a hoof to Starlight’s cape. It was warm. “Almost. Everypony but Fluttershy and Applejack.”

“They’ll come.” Starlight rubbed my back with her hoof in that tight spot between my wings I could never seem to reach. “They’re still your friends. If you have faith in them, they’ll come.”

“Are they still my friends?” Just giving life to the question hurt. But it had to be said. After weeks of madness, it finally had to be said. “Everypony’s changed so much. Are we still friends?”

“Well.” Starlight shifted her weight. Her wings buzzed and clicked. “I am. I mean, we are. I think? I still… ponies can love their friends, right? Like, not romantically or sexually, but just have a bond so deep that it touches their souls? Because that… I mean, that’s kind of how I feel about you. As a friend.” Her wings buzzed again. “Do you… how do you feel about me?”

I felt a warmth grow in me as she spoke. It welled out of my heart, up my throat, and set my face on fire. I squeezed my eyes shut against tears.

“Yeah.” It came out as little more than a wheeze. “That’s how I feel about you, Starlight. Thank you.”

“Then maybe not as much as you think has changed.”

I shook my head. “That’s wrong, Starlight. We… when I came to Ponyville I was the loneliest mare in the world. I had no real friends. I loved my family and Celestia, but I only ever showed love to my books. Even Spike… I just treated him like a servant.” I swallowed, hard. The blindfold was growing damp over my eyes. “Like I owned him. But then I met these wonderful ponies, and they showed me how beautiful it is to have friends. Even if I didn’t always like them or agree with them or want to spend every hour with them, I knew they were there for me. For the first time in years my life had meaning, because I was sharing it with others. And now… now we’re all falling apart. Everypony’s dreams are pulling them away from me. It’s like… It’s like I had ten of the greatest years of my life, and now it’s all ending.”

Starlight squeezed me closer. She was a bit smaller as a changeling, and I a bit larger as an alicorn, but somehow I felt like a filly, a little sister in her embrace.

“We’re still here,” she whispered.

“I know. Thank you.” The words caught in my throat, like I’d swallowed a pin. I coughed weakly. “What should I do?”

“Whatever you think is right.”

Great. Let’s just leave the fate of the world in the hooves of an emotionally compromised mare. I pulled myself free of her embrace and moved over to the library table, where rested all our research on dreams and onieromancy. I pushed the journals and books aside until I found the one I wanted, The Celestial Messengers: A History, and opened it to the ruined middle, the pages destroyed by Discord’s errant crossbow. Only portions of each page remained legible, and they would never be able to complete the story.

But they were enough for now. Starlight retreated to her own books while I lost myself in fragments of those ancient times, reading easily through my blindfold about the last days of ponies who loved the sun too much.