• Published 1st Apr 2019
  • 1,944 Views, 73 Comments

Nine Years - The Blue EM2

  • ...
3
 73
 1,944

Commentary

I can recall the moment when I became a Brony. Admittedly I was not part of the first wave back in late 2010 when people were posting ponies all over the place, but I did come in a little later. I joined the fandom when Equestria Girls was released, as somehow the film struck a real chord with me that the main show somehow did not; that, and I'd watched a documentary about how Bronies could be changing the meaning of masculinity. I gave the show a go, and I was hooked. It may sound heretical, but if given the choice between watching Equestria Girls or the main show, I'd probably take the former, to be completely honest, as it connects with me and appeals to me so much more.

Having said that, I do watch the show itself quite regularly, for which youTuber Letupita725HD has been a lifesaver, as they have uploaded every single MLP episode and song (albeit in bite sized form), as well as each Equestria Girls film, short, and song (again, in equally bite sized form to make viewing easier and perhaps slide around copyright strikes). Time and again I am amazed and made happy by the show's positive vibes and wonderful animation, which never ceases to make me smile, or at times cry from emotion (how else can you cry? Onions?). However, I chose to keep my assoication with the show a secret, given my parents probably wouldn't be the most accepting of a then teenage boy watching a show primarily aimed at little girls. Then again, I do watch Thomas & Friends, and I am fairly open about it, so there's that.

Which brings me on to my next point. My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is perfect crossover material. It can work with practically everything, such as Thomas & Friends, or even Warhammer 40,000, to my astonishment! This is a truly wonderful community, and the art, stories, and remixes continue to blow me away to this day, with every conceivable crossover and idea accounted for, ranging from Disney, to rock and metal, and even giantesses (the less said, the better to be honest. Just imagine Monsters Vs. Aliens with MLP characters in the place of Susan Murphy and you've got the general idea).

Which brings me on to writing here. I decided to join Fimfiction and make my own contribution to the MLP mythos when I read a superb story by Ferret, Bloom Filter (link is in the author's notes). It is an excellent story, if a little weird, and I recommend that you read it. I chose to focus on Equestria Girls, and I was rather taken by surprise when Railway Adventure received the support it did. And for that I have you to thank, or else I'd still be stumbling around in the dark without support or any clue what I was even doing.

But now, as the road nears the end, I think now is the time to throw in the towel. My account will stay up, but I won't be uploading any new stories from now on. The world is moving on from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, and I need to move with it or else get left behind by the winds of time. I may spend time with my head in the past, but I cannot start the next chapter of my life if all I do is relive and reread the previous one.

But remember this; you were all my very best friends, and it has been an absolute blast working with each and every one of you.

Signing off for the final time,
The Blue EM2.