• Published 15th Mar 2019
  • 4,727 Views, 331 Comments

Learning To Live Again - Speedy Quill



A changeling, abandoned to die after the Royal Wedding, is shown that there's life beyond the hive. Laughter, villains, and committee meetings ensue.

  • ...
11
 331
 4,727

Darkness Dies

The magic had grown steadily stronger as we descended into the depths of the mines.

I knew we were getting close when I felt my stomach getting ready to heave. It couldn’t take the toxic air anymore. Before I could say anything though, Sunburst turned away and vomited himself. And Shining Armor wasn’t far behind.

I threw up last, unable to resist any longer. I took a deep breath after and straightened up.

“We’re close.”

Shining Armor nodded, pointing ahead.

”That next corner.”

We slowed our pace and approached the corner. Sunburst sent a light orb ahead, giving us our first view of our target.

The orb lit up a cavern covered in black crystals. And at the back of the cavern was a crystal that reached to the ceiling. It was huge!

My eyes narrowed as I noticed something off about the crystal. There was a black mist surrounding it. And for some reason, the mist looked slightly familiar.

"What is that?"

Shining Armor looked at me.

"It's a cavern of crystals."

"No. That mist."

Shining Armor looked again and shook his head.

"I don't see anything Shade."

Sunburst peeked around us, squinting his eyes.

"What do you see?"

"It's like a cloud covering that giant crystal."

"I can tell it's got a high concentration of magic, but that wouldn't be visible."

Shining Armor turned to me.

"Are there things that only changelings can see?"

"I don't..."

I trailed off as my head registered where I'd seen the mist before. The air in the hive had been tinted with the same thing! One of the many reasons I liked going on my missions was to get away from those fumes.

"I know what it is."

They both leaned in. Sunburst looked at the crystal again.

"What are you seeing?"

"It's...hatred."

They both stared at me, confused. I rolled my eyes.

"Changelings can sense almost any feeling on the spectrum. Love is like a magnetic field, sadness is like a bad smell, and so on. But hatred...we can see that. A black mist that seeps into everything. The very air is almost rank if there's enough of it. The hive was swimming in this stuff when I was little."

Shining Armor glanced at the crystal.

"Does it pose any threat?"

I looked at the cloud again, studying its composition. Something was different about this feeling.

"Strange... It's like Sombra's magic has...bonded with it. Then again, I shouldn't be surprised that so much hatred is mixed into his own magic. I've just never seen anything like it."

I shook my head.

"I don't think it's a threat, but I can't be certain until we go in there."

Shining Armor nodded.

"Okay then. Let's go."

He led the way around the corner, and we entered the cavern. The air was thick with dark magic. I did my best to take small breaths, hoping to keep out the worst of it.

We approached the large crystal, its form towering over us.

Shining Armor stopped several hoofsteps away.

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

I stared at the crystal, it's black color all-consuming.

And then I saw a small twinkle of green.

"Did anypony-"

It was too late. A beam of magic shot out at Shining Armor. His eyes clouded as they took on the same green of the magic.

Sunburst jumped forward.

"Shining Armor!"

Another beam hit Sunburst and he suffered the same fate. I locked my eyes on the crystal as a third beam hit my head.

My head went blank and everything faded.

----------------------

I opened my eyes and found myself in a pile of rubble. I took a breath, only to cough on the fumes in the air.

I sat up, my eyes beginning to focus on the scene in front of me.

I was in Canterlot. The throne room to be exact. Or what was left of the throne room anyway...

I stood up and looked around.

"No. No, this is wrong. I was... I was somewhere... Wasn't I?"

My eyes found a banner on the wall. It bore the image of a red horn. Sombra's horn.

"No!"

My brain flooded with memories of an attack. And the fires. And Sombra rising from the shadows. The resistance was failing and there was no hope. Our allies had fallen. Twilight was gone. I'd watched Ponyville burn to the ground.

I looked up to where the thrones should be. My blood turned cold as I took in the scene.

Sombra stood at the top of the stairs.

And a few steps below, the lifeless bodies of Celestia, Luna, and Rarity.

Sombra began to laugh as my tears fell. The laughter grew deafening. My eyes screwed shut in pain. I couldn't take it anymore. I wanted nothing more than to hide away from this nightmare.

My eyes flew open at that realization.

"NO!!!"

The bodies turned to dust. Sombra looked confused.

"What?!"

I looked around the castle ruins and it began to turn to dust. Sombra growled in anger.

"No!!"

My attention turned to Sombra and he burst into a cloud of dust.

----------------------

I was suddenly back in the cavern. My vision was blurry for a few seconds as my brain restarted. What had happened to the battle? The resistance?

My vision cleared and my brain reconnected the dots.

"A nightmare. It was nothing but a nightmare."

A low growl came from the crystal, shaking the cavern. I looked into the stone, searching for the source of the noise. It was just as dark as before.

How did you break my spell?

The voice echoed through the whole room.

"Sombra."

No pony can break my magic.

I found myself smiling.

"Impressive to say the least. False memories? Greatest fears? You sure know how to make a convincing nightmare. But I was taught how to control nightmares."

Another cavern-shaking growl. My smile grew.

"What's wrong? Not a fan of-"

I felt another bolt to the head.

--------------------

I walked into the boutique, excitement making me shiver. There was Rarity.

"Hello Shade."

I smiled and presented a ring.

"I love you Rarity."

She stared at the ring for a moment. And then she started laughing.

"You thought I actually loved you?!"

She kept laughing as my heart broke inside. What was happening?

My mind clicked again.

--------------------

I was in front of Sombra's crystal again. I had to take several breaths before speaking.

"You can do that a hundred times. I'll still come back for you."

The growl turned into a roar and another bolt came at me.

-------------------

I emerged from the tunnels into the throne room. Chrysalis sat on her throne, looking triumphant.

"Look who came crawling back!"

I stared at the floor.

"I'm...sorry..."

"I don't want your apology! I want your life!!"

She sprang from her throne and landed on top of me. Her teeth met my neck and I screamed.

Click.

--------------------

I was panting, trying to get enough air in my body.

The hatred around the crystal was swirling faster. He was getting angry.

That last nightmare had been too real. I could still feel those fangs sapping the love and life out of me.

I felt a smile growing as something stupid popped into my head.

"Thanks for the idea."

Another bolt came, but I dodged it. I focused all my magic into one act. I wasn't even sure if it would work now that my biology was so different. But I had to try.

My face screwed up in pain as I felt the spell take effect at a sluggish pace.

What foolishness is this?

I opened my eyes a fraction. Shining Armor and Sunburst were still under the spell. I had to pray that what I was going to do would wake them up.

As the magic took full effect, I let out a howl of pain. It echoed through the cavern and out into the tunnels. It was far more painful than the last time I'd done this.

And then the spell stopped. The pain was still there, but the magic had done its work. I reached up to check my handiwork.

My fangs were back.

I was on my knees, inhaling as much air as I could. My body felt weak after the effort. Would I have the strength?

I slowly stood up and bared my fangs at the crystal.

What are you?

I hissed at the crystal.

"You may dwell in the dark, but I was born into it!"

I am the Lord of Shadows! I fear nothing!

I smiled.

"I don't want your fear."

I opened my mouth and began to inhale. As I did, I let my changeling magic take over.

The cloud of magic and hatred began to flow away from the crystal and into me.

What is this?

I kept my concentration on the task at hoof. My insides were burning. Would I be able to keep this up long enough?

The cloud was slowly growing smaller. Another roar shook the cavern.

Stop!

I kept inhaling. The putrid taste on my tongue made me want to vomit it all back up, but I knew I couldn't risk stopping.

STOP!!

The cloud had shrunk by a third.

And then I heard a gasp from my left.

"What? What happened? Where's Cadance?"

I broke the spell for a split second.

"Break the crystal!!"

I resumed my foul meal, leaving Shining Armor to register what was happening.

"Huh? Shade? Wait... where's that stuff coming from?"

He could see it now that I was interacting with it. That would help.

"Wha- What's going on?"

Good, Sunburst was awake. The two of them would be able to strike the final blow.

I could see both from the corner of my eye. They were staring at me and the crystal. Sunburst tried to run forward, but Shining Armor held him back.

"He said something about breaking the crystal!"

"How? It's covered in that mist he was talking about!"

"We need to find an opening!"

I redoubled my efforts and tried to speed up the process. The cavern began shaking again.

You will not defeat me!

Shining Armor and Sunburst both flinched at the voice. Their eyes locked on the crystal. I followed their gaze.

Inside the crystal, something was taking shape. A black mass with green eyes and a red horn.

I wanted to scream, but circumstances didn't permit my fear. I held my ground.

Shining Armor and Sunburst slowly approached the crystal, each taking a side. They were looking for their opening.

Suddenly Sunburst called out.

"Here! There's a hole!"

Shining Armor rushed over. I could see it from where I stood. It was barely the size of a bit. Too small.

Even as I worked my magic, a scream burst from me. Not a scream of pain though. It was a battle cry.

The shape in the crystal reared back.

I will not die!!

"Now!"

The shape and I both looked. Shining Armor and Sunburst were in front of the hole, now big enough for their aim to be true. They fired spell after spell at the crystal. Cracks began forming.

The shape was taking its full form now. Sombra's face appeared from the shadows.

NO!!

A large splinter went up the middle of the stone, making Sombra flinch.

I released my magic and fell to the floor, watching as cracks formed from the single splinter. They spread rapidly. Sombra's anger melted away, turning to fear.

I can't end!

A chip fell from the crystal. And then another. And another.

And then the crystal burst into a million pieces. A cloud of darkness emerged, swirling around the room. It created a wind that would have carried a pony off into the unknown.

Shining Armor and Sunburst ran over to me, flattening themselves to the floor.

A green bolt fired towards us. No. Not us. The crystals behind us. The bolt connected and the crystals lit up. The black magic within them flowed along the bolt of energy, joining the darkness.

Shining Armor screamed over the wind.

"What's he doing?!"

Sunburst looked from the cloud to the crystals. He shouted back to us.

"He's a disembodied spirit. He can't exist here without a proper vessel. It's taking all his magic just to hold on!"

I looked at the other crystals in the cavern. Sure enough, Sombra was sucking his magic reserves dry just to try and survive. The crystals were returning to their original brilliance one by one.

Soon the whole cavern was a rainbow. Even what was left of the large crystal was changing.

The cloud roared and flew out into the tunnels. The wind died and the three of us were alone in the cavern.

I sat up, brushing some dirt off my flank.

"He's going to suck the mines dry. There won't be a trace of his magic left!"

Shining Armor stood up.

"Couldn't he find another crystal to hold him?"

Sunburst stood and stretched.

"It's unlikely, but not impossible. But how would we even find it? These mines are too big."

I brought myself to my knees and took a deep breath.

"I might have an idea about that."

I coughed as I finished standing. A spray of black liquid painted the floor. All three of us looked at the stain. I sighed.

"That can't be good."

Shining Armor shook his head.

"We need to get you back to the Empire. I don't know what you did exactly, but it wasn't good."

I shook my head back.

"We have to end this now."

I walked as fast as a I could into the tunnel.

"Emerald! Can you hear me?"

I waited in the darkness, hoping beyond hope.

He's not dead

I sighed in relief. She was here.

"I know. He's somewhere in the mines. Can the umbrum help us find him?"

A chorus of whispers rose as Shining Armor and Sunburst joined me. Sunburst leaned in close.

"Are you sure they'll help?"

The whispers stopped.

He's below.

I nodded.

"Can you lead us to him?"

Yes. But no light.

Shining Armor stepped forward.

"How will we know where we're going?"

We will take you. Lights out.

I nodded to the two of them and we all put our lights out. I instantly felt umbrum pressing on all sides. I held back a shudder.

They began dragging me forward, picking up their pace. It was like being caught in a river's current. I heard Shining Armor and Sunburst shouting behind me, no doubt shocked and afraid of the experience.

I felt us go around several turns and down several slopes as we made our way into the deepest part of the mines. We moved swiftly for what must have been several minutes before the umbrum began to slow down.

As they came to a stop, I felt the same aura of magic emanating from somewhere ahead of us.

"Sombra."

The umbrum pulled away from me, sinking back into the darkness. I heard them drop Shining Armor and Sunburst, the two of them falling to the floor. Sunburst stood up, brushing off his robe.

"A little warning would have been nice."

I summoned an orb and walked forward, looking at the gems lining the tunnel. They were the most remarkable shades of color I'd ever seen.

And then I saw it. A single black crystal nestled among the rainbow.

The aura was only coming from the one stone. I couldn't help but smile.

"Nowhere left for you to hide."

No! I will live forever!

The voice was soft, barely more than a whisper. And it sounded weak. I found myself smirking.

And then I shot a bolt of pure energy at the crystal.

It shattered. A wisp of black smoke emerged and faded into the air with a soft cry.

Shining Armor and Sunburst approached, observing the remains. Shining Armor nodded.

"It's done."

"Almost."

I turned to the tunnel behind us.

"I have a promise to keep."

I pulled the book the umbrum had given me from my saddlebag. I opened it to the first page, ready to find help.

I shut the book immediately.

Sunburst looked at me.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing. But...I need to read this alone."

I looked at the darkness.

"Could you take them to the exit?"

Shining Armor objected as I extinguished my light.

"Wait just a damn second!"

It was too late. I heard the umbrum grab him and Sunburst. They were gone in a matter of seconds.

"Emerald?"

Yes?

"Where did you get this book?"

It was His.

"This isn't his. He had to have stolen it."

That was the book. He used it to change us.

I opened the cover again, reading the first page.

"This shouldn't be possible."

You must help us.

I sighed, rubbing my temples.

"Okay. Give me a minute."

I began flipping the pages, taking in everything. It took me a few minutes to get through the whole thing. I had even read the pages twice to make sure I understood the spells.

"Okay. I think I know what to do."

You can save us?

"I hope so. It's a long shot."

Please

I nodded and closed my eyes, allowing my magic to flow freely.

The spell demanded intense focus. I was using my magic to find contact with the ethereal plane, where arcane powers resided. It ebbed and flowed like a river, constantly in flux. And I was trying to capture an entry point.

There!

I grabbed hold with my mind and felt a surge of power as arcane magic flowed into my being. I opened my eyes and focused the energy. I only had one thought.

Banish all dark magic from this place.

I released the magic, the force leaving me like a wave. I finally saw the umbrum as the light washed over them for a split second. There were dozens of them. Maybe hundreds. the light continued through the tunnels, disappearing into the distance.

One of the umbrum began to shimmer. And another. One by one they began to glow. Their dark forms melted off, turning to ash. All that was left was a faint image of the ponies they used to be. They looked at each other, smiling as they faded from this world.

I looked in front of me and found Emerald Dawn. She had been restored to her former self. She wasn't faint like the others though. Before I could question her, she smiled.

"Thank you Shade."

Her form changed into something like a shadow. She disappeared, leaving me alone in the darkness. I summoned an orb and looked around the tunnel. Crystals were colorful, the air was clean, and all was quiet.

"All's well."

I coughed up another spray of black.

"Oh... Right."

My knees buckled and I collapsed. I groaned as the effects of the day took hold of my body.

"Shit! Why did I send those two away?"

I sent out a magic flare, praying they'd find me quick enough. Another hacking fit produced more liquid, this time black and red. I stared at the mixture of poison and blood, realizing my situation.

"Fuck."

My vision faded to black as I fell over.