• Published 7th Mar 2019
  • 380 Views, 2 Comments

The Path We Walk - Marezinger Z



A story of how friendship, love and the line between the two can bring about drastic changes both sweet and bitter.

  • ...
 2
 380

The Path We Walk: Chapter 2

The Path We Walk

Chapter 2:

After raising the sun, Celestia readied herself for her day out. Luna checked in on her and smiled at the sight of her sister fussing over her mane in the mirror.

“Seeing you around the two of them has been enlightening sister.” Luna took hold of the brush with her magic and began brushing back Celestia’s mane.

“Thank you.” She sighed heavily. “I know this must seem silly to you.”

“Not at all, I haven’t seen you like this since we were fillies. It brings back happy memories from before my… untimely departure.” Luna reached up and smoothed down an errant strand with her hoof. “Besides, I am sure they are as excited as you are.” She set the brush aside. “There, all set for your big dates.”

“That isn’t helping Luna.” Celestia said through narrowed eyes.

The sisters traveled down to the main hall where they found Argent waiting patiently by the large entryway.

“Ladies.” He smiled brightly and rolled his hoof as he bowed.

“Good morning Argent.” Celestia shook her head and laughed at his exaggerated posturing.

“Are you sure you’re okay pulling a double shift Luna?” He asked in all seriousness.

Luna waved off his worry with a light laugh. “It actually will not be the first time, although you can ask Celestia about that if you wish for more details.”

“I think I might have to.” He opened the door and held it. “Shall we.”

“Certainly.” Celestia hurried though as he turned to follow. “So, did you both sleep well?” She asked as they started their walk.

“Definitely, after a few years of sleeping on cots, rocks and dirt a mattress felt like a cloud.” He reached back and patted his neck. “I think my spine has an intersection in it now.”

“You all endure so much, I hope you know how much Equestria values your service and dedication… and how much I do.”

Argent felt himself warm at her praise. “Of course we do, all the elite guard do what they do out of love for their home.” He stepped closer and bumped his shoulder into hers. “But enough shop talk, I’m way too modest for that.”
Celestia laughed and nodded. “Of course you are.”

“So what’s the big to do at the museum?” he asked.

“Since you’ve been gone, we have had many encounters and battles; the museum is putting on a display of some of the artifacts from those encounters along with details of the events. I felt it would be a good way to catch you up.”

“Enough to fill a museum display huh?” He hummed in thought. “Sounds like you’ve been busy.”

“Indeed.” she nodded. “You should also know that Starswirl has been returned to us.”

“Starswirl the Bearded? That should be impossible… right?” He raised his brow questioningly.

“An acquaintance of Starlight’s discovered Starswirl’s journal.” she began. “He and Twilight learned that Starswirl and the other pillars had trapped themselves, along with the pony of shadows, in a space beyond time as we know it. They remained there, frozen in time, and upon their release it was if not a day had passed for them.”

“Amazing.” Argent tried to wrap his head around that. “You mean I could actually meet Starswirl now?”

“He has returned to his former homeland, but I have no doubt he would love to meet you.”

“Wow.” he laughed. “I should have brought a notebook with me.”

As they made their way through the streets of Canterlot, the sight of the Princess out and about with a stallion drew many amazed glances. Argent bought sweet bread for the two of them from one of the street vendors and they paid a visit to a very surprised Sassy Saddles at Canterlot Carousel so he could see one of Rarity’s businesses. When they finally found themselves at the museum, Celestia guided him around and explained the significance of the exhibits. Argent was dumbfounded at the changes in the world in the time that he and Aegis had been away. He learned of the resurrection of the Crystal Empire and the royal wedding of Cadence and Shining armor, the reformation of the once dreaded Discord, the return and subsequent defeat of the mighty Tirek, the defeat of Chrysalis and the reformation of the changelings now led by Thorax and the finer details of the returned pillars and the defeat of the legendary pony of shadows.

“This is all incredible.” Argent laid his hoof against a glass case. “Princess Twilight and her friends are really amazing ponies. At this rate they’re going to put me out of a job.”

Celestia laughed and laid her wing to his back. “Unfortunately, trouble is one thing we never seem to run out of in Equestria.”

“I suppose so.” he chuckled. “Thanks Celestia, this was great.”

“I’m glad. I always struggle to find things that would interest you.”

“You worry too much.” He reached down and took her hoof in his. “As long as it’s with you, you could take me to the sewage treatment plant and I’d have just as wonderful a time.”

“Argent.” she blushed. “Come here.” Celestia hugged him tightly and he rocked her back and forth. “I’m going to go find Aegis, it’s already well past noon. Will you be okay here?”

“I’ll find somepony to bother.” He said surely. “You just go on.”

Celestia flew into the sky and back towards the castle. She ascended to the tower and saw Aegis laying on the balcony. Swooping down she landed before him and smiled.

“You’re always easy to find Aegis.”

“As it should be, my Princess.” He rose and gazed fondly down at her.

“Sorry to keep you waiting.” she apologized.

“Not at all Princess, I’ve waited over five years for the chance to look upon you again, what is a few hours more.” He reached his wing out and ran his broad feather over her cheek. “You are always worth the wait, my Princess.”

Celestia reached up and held his wing to her cheek. “For somepony who speaks so little, your words never fail to move me.” She set her hoof to his broad chest. “Which is why I’m always glad when I can get you alone. Whenever the two of you are together you always let Argent command the conversation.”

“He always was the more talkative one.” he noted.

“Well now you have no choice.” She giggled and moved to the ledge. “Shall we head for Cloudsdale?”

“Of course Princess.” He spread his wings and leapt with her into the air.

They took their time in the sky, enjoying the flight as flying together was something special they could share. When Cloudsdale came into view, Aegis was a bit overtaken by how homesick he actually was. They spied the familiar blue blur of the Wonderbolts practicing at the academy and decided to start their time there. They landed on the outskirts of the runway and began walking over towards the main hub.

“The Wonderbolts have grown considerably since you were last here.” Celestia began. “Spitfire has seen them to new heights, as it were, and Twilight’s friend Rainbow Dash is among their finest.”

“As the most public face of the pegasi, it is good to know that they are still held in such high regard.” Aegis watched as the team raced across the sky.

In the heart of the training ground, Spitfire sounded her whistle as the recruits weaved through obstacles as they entered the bend of the course.

“Keep it up rookies!” she boomed. “I want six more laps and you’d better not slow down!”

Rainbow Dash stepped out of the complex and hurried to her side. “Sorry I’m late.”

“Used to it by now Crash.” Spitfire admitted begrudgingly.

“Wow, they are on fire today.” Rainbow dash noted as her eyes trailed the team of flyers.

“Not surprising with the air games coming up.” Their manes whipped up as the team flew by again. The door opened once more and Soarin emerged, as he adjusted his goggles something in the distance caught his eye.

“Uh, hey… is that… Princess Celestia?” He asked as he pointed out towards the end of the runway.

“Sure is.” Rainbow Dash hovered a bit higher to get a better look. “But who or what is that with her?”

“Aegis.” Spitfire removed her shades.

Rainbow Dash glanced back and forth from her to the mystery pegasus. “Who the hay is Aegis?”

“He’s part of Princess Celestia’s elite royal guard.” Spitfire explained. “I’ve only heard stories about him but there is no way that isn’t him.”

“He’s huge.” Soarin noted as Spitfire rose into the air and blew her whistle.

“Recruits, front and center! Clear the runway!” Her voice rang out across the airfield.
The recruits immediately flew down and landed in front of her. Soarin and Rainbow Dash stood at her sides as the Princess and Aegis approached.

“Forgive the interruption Spitfire, we didn’t mean to break your routine.” Celestia apologized.

“Not at all Princess.” Spitfire assured with a salute. “To what do we owe the honor of your visit today?”

“This is Aegis, he’s finally been able to return here after a long mission in the East and I wanted to show him the current goings on in Cloudsdale.” she informed.

Aegis stepped forward. “Lady Spitfire, it is a pleasure to meet you.”

“Uh, likewise sir.” She stared up at him in a wonder that was rare for her. “I know you… I mean we haven’t met but I’ve heard many stories of your work in the elite guard. It’s an honor to get to meet you in the flesh.”

“It seems the Wonderbolts have flourished under your leadership milady, it is I who am honored to meet such a strong and dedicated mare.” He lowered his head to her.

Spitfire flustered under his humble words. “Thank you sir.”

Aegis turned is attention to Rainbow Dash. “Lady Rainbow Dash, I am told you are a friend of Princess Twilight. Tales of your legendary sonic rainbooms have reached even the front lines of the elite guard.”

“Wow.” She ran her hoof through her mane proudly. “I knew I was awesome but I didn’t think the news spread that far.”

Spitfire elbowed her in the side and got her back in line. She then gestured to Soarin and introduced him. “This is Soarin, he’s another top of the line flyer in my team.”

“Nice to meet you.” He laughed nervously.

“Would the two of you like a tour of the facility your majesty?” Spitfire asked.

“That would be lovely Spitfire.” Celestia looked to Aegis who nodded in agreement. They were led into the Wonderbolt compound by the trio and shown the various sections. They soon found themselves in the gym where many up and coming trainees were working out.

“You’ll be happy to know we have invested in the most up to date equipment to train the next generation of flyers.” Spitfire proclaimed. “We have resistance training, weight training, self-contained environment simulators and our newest addition, impact sensors that measure wing power down to the decimal.”

“In other words.” Rainbow Dash cut in. “The coolest gym in all of Equestria.”

“How wonderful.” Celestia looked about in amazement.

“Indeed.” Aegis commended as he looked over the room. He noticed a young stallion working before one of the wing power measurers. He also noticed that, like himself, he had larger than typical wings and he was moving them as rapidly as he could but was struggling to maintain his balance as he did so. Aegis started over to him and the others followed, not quite certain what had caught his eye. He stepped up the stallion who stopped his work as he noticed the immense shadow he was now under.

“Uh… hello.” he stood up straight as he noticed the procession.

“What is your name?” Aegis asked.

“Cloudtrail, sir.”

“Cloudtrail, you are in a similar situation to the one I faced when I was training myself to fly. Your wings are large, you also have longer legs which means your center of gravity is higher, that is why you are having trouble keeping your balance.”

“I… oh, I see.” He looked down at his body.

“Your body is unique, so standard training will not work as well for you. What will help the most is changing how you use your wings.” Aegis stood at this side and faced the machine. “Smaller wings require less motion to propel a pegasi’s body, so rapid actuation makes sense. For you though, the amount of strength needed to move your wings is greater, so trying to move them rapidly is providing less lift with more effort. You should focus instead on developing the power of your movements. Larger wings are capable of more powerful beats; and with enough training, you can develop your wings to propel your body great distances with but a single beat.” he spread his wings to their fullest, instantly drawing the attention of the entire gym.

“Whoa.” Rainbow Dash’s jaw dropped at the sight.

“Observe.” Aegis said as he reared his wings back, he threw them forward with such force that the machine ripped from its bolts and flew across the gym, banging to stop near the far wall. The room fell silent and Cloudtrail went white with a mixture of amazement and terror. Aegis looked down at him and offered a calm but assured look. “With enough work, you too can perform such a feat.” He turned back and returned to Celestia’s side. “Forgive me Lady Spitfire, I seem to have damaged your equipment, I will see that your repairs are covered in full.”

“No… problem.” Spitfire responded through a daze.

“I think we’ve caused enough of a stir here Aegis.” Celestia noted. “How about we continue on.”

“Of course Princess.”

“Thank you for taking the time for us Spitfire, keep up the wonderful work. I look forward to seeing you all in the upcoming air games.” Celestia said with a warm smile as she and Aegis headed off.

“Any time your majesty.” Spitfire saluted. ‘Uh, Crash… go get that piece of equipment will you.”

“Yes ma’am.” Rainbow Dash flew to the other side of the gym after the machine.

Spitfire helped Cloudtrail to his feet. “You okay rookie?”

“Yeah, actually that was great advice he gave me.” Free of the shock, Cloudtrail grew excited to try this new training. “Do you really think I’ll be able to do that someday?”

“If you do, it’s coming out of your pocket.” She poked his chest with her hoof.

As they left the building, Celestia laughed and smiled up at Aegis. “That was a bit much, don’t you think?”

“I… could have held back a bit.” He admitted shyly.

They spent the next few hours about the city. Aegis found solace in seeing that while so much had changed just as much had remained the same. He then escorted her to his favorite restaurant and treated her to an early dinner. As the day grew late he took her high into the sky to rest on clouds overlooking the entirety of Cloudsdale. Celestia marveled at the sight as she nestled next to him.

“You always manage to find the loveliest spots Aegis.” Celestia said with a languid sigh. “This is beautiful.”

He smiled down at her serenely. “Second only to you, my Princess.”

“Aegis.” She smiled and rested against his side as he laid his wing over her.

“I know I am not as… entertaining as Argent, but I hope you enjoyed yourself.”

“Of course I have Aegis. You always provide me with moments like this, moments that are so peaceful I forget the rest of the world entirely.” She closed her eyes. “I feel so relaxed because I know I am always safe at your side.”

“That means a great deal to me Princess.” He smiled as he turned his eyes to the slowly passing clouds.

The pair laid there for a time before heading back to Canterlot. They flew to the balcony of her quarters and Aegis watched in quiet awe as she commanded the sun to lower for the evening. Heading back down to the throne room they came upon Luna who was reading quietly. She raised her head at the sound of their steps.

“Ah sister, Aegis, welcome back.”

“Hello Luna, I hope the day went smoothly.”

“It did, this time there are no loose ends you need concern yourself with.” she laughed.

“Good to know.” Celestia let slip a quick yawn. “Oh my, excuse me.”

“I will leave you to rest, my Princess.” Aegis lowered his head to her respectfully.

Celestia set her hoof to his cheek and laid her forehead to his. “Thank you for the wonderful evening Aegis.”

“Sleep well Princess.” He turned to Luna and bowed to her as well. “Lady Luna.”

“Goodnight Aegis.” She went to her sister’s side as he headed for his room. “Well, how did everything go?”

“Wonderfully.” Celestia admitted. “I forgot how much having them here meant to me.”

“That is good to hear.” Luna returned to the throne. “But I would recommend a good night’s sleep, you have some catching up to do tomorrow.”

“I am certain Luna.” She made her way back towards the stairs. “I will see you in the morning.”

“Goodnight sister.” Luna smiled as she returned to her book.