• Published 7th Mar 2019
  • 382 Views, 2 Comments

The Path We Walk - Marezinger Z



A story of how friendship, love and the line between the two can bring about drastic changes both sweet and bitter.

  • ...
 2
 382

The Path We Walk: Chapter 1

It was a rare day in Canterlot as the afternoon found the four princesses spending some quality time together in relative quiet. Celestia had a modest lunch and fresh fruit set out along with a warm pot of tea.

“I’m so glad you and Cadence could make it today.” Celestia smiled as she poured Twilight’s cup. “It has been so long since all of us have spent any time together.”

“I know.” Twilight took a sip. “Life has gotten so much… busier, especially with the new school of friendship. Days just fly by anymore.”

Cadence set her cup down with a light sigh. “I certainly feel that, can you believe Flurry Heart is almost two years old now?”

“Were it not for my sister and I’s longevity, I would say such news would certainly make me feel old.” Luna admitted with a laugh.

Twilight grinned at Cadence. “Is my brother any better at handling solo daddy duty?”

“He still has his concerns.” Cadence giggled. “But he’s a better daddy than he thinks.” She turned her attention to the royal sisters. “What of the two of you, any big news on the Canterlot front?”

“Actually, there has been something I have been very anxious about.” Celestia rubbed her hoof on the table. “It is why I am glad I could have you all here, there is no one else I feel comfortable talking with about this matter.”

Luna eyed her sister knowingly. “I had such a feeling. You have been quite agitated the last few days.”

“What’s wrong Princess?” Twilight asked. “Is there some kind of trouble?”

Celestia shook her head. “No Twilight, nothing dangerous.” She hesitated. “Argent and Aegis are finally returning tomorrow.”

“Ah, I see.” Luna nodded understandingly.

Cadence and Twilight shared a puzzled look. “Who?” Cadence asked.

“Argent and Aegis are two of my closest and dearest friends.” Celestia began. “They are also of the elite royal guard. It is safe for me to say that outside of those at this table now, there is no creature nearer to my heart than the two of them.”

“Wow.” Twilight absorbed that information as best she could. “I’ve never heard of them.”

“You met them once, although I am sure you were too young to remember.” Celestia smiled at the memory. “They are often away, more so lately than ever before. They have been on the front lines of a conflict far to the east for nearly five years now. I received word that they were finally able to end the threat and they are returning to Canterlot to report, as well as to see me again.”

Cadence offered her a confused look. “That… sounds wonderful, why the anxiety?”

Celestia nodded with a light sigh. “Well, as I said… we are close. We spent many years together as they worked their way up the ranks of the guard. They are closer than brothers, but they do carry a bit of a rivalry with each other… over me.”

“Oh, now it makes sense.” Cadence, quite knowledgeable in love, firmly grasped the situation.

“It has never been anything mean spirited or hostile, but their feelings for me have always been clear.” Celestia clarified.

“Are they feelings that you not share?” Cadence asked.

“Quite the contrary.” Celestia shook her head. “They are both irreplaceable to me and there are things about them both with which I am wholly in love.”

“What are they like?” Twilight interjected. “Knowing more about them would help us understand.”

“Allow me, sister.” Luna set her hoof to Celestia’s foreleg, seeing how lost in thought she was. “Sister has told me all her stories of them. They are indeed legends, not only within the ranks of the current guard but in all of the guard’s long and storied history. Argent is known amongst the ranks as the Golden Horn, he is a unicorn of formidable magical power and ability. He has attended several, renowned schools since his youth and has mastered multiple fields of magic.”

“For all his knowledge and power, he has a very warm heart.” Celestia cut in. "He is quite outgoing and always makes me laugh. He has so often lifted my spirits during troubled times.”

“What about Aegis?” Cadence looked to Luna for more information.

“Aegis’ story is much more… complex.” Luna chose her words carefully. “Aegis is known as the Iron Wing, a title from which he is far from unworthy. He is a pegasus that was born oversized for their kind and with massive wings. Abandoned to an orphanage as a foal, as he grew he was told that due to his larger frame, greater weight and heavy wings he would never be a competent flier. From that point on his life was dedicated to proving such ideas wrong. He put himself through grueling and painful training to develop a style and strength that was purely his own. Not only did he develop his wings to the point where they could propel his larger body at amazing speed, but he is of the only pegasi ever to find physical power on par with even the mightiest earth pony.”

“Aegis had a hard life.” Celestia added. “That life left him quiet and stoic in nature. Even so, he is valiant, chivalrous and loyal beyond words. I have seen him battle some of the most powerful creatures this world has to offer and best them." She smiled. "Sometimes I think there is no safer place in this world than at his back.”

“They both sound amazing.” Twilight admitted.

“They are.” Celestia nodded. “I am torn because as much as I would like to make my choice, I don’t know if I could be happy moving forward from that point knowing that I’ve hurt the other.”

“Rock meet hard place.” Cadence noted. “I know that isn’t helpful.”

Celestia let out a small laugh. “There is nothing simple about this, so I understand.”

“I can say this, sister.” Luna closed her eyes in thought. “The longer you wait, the worse it will be. The more time a pony lives in the dream of love, the harder it is to return to reality when they realize the dream is not going to be realized.”

“Luna is right.” Cadence concurred. “I do my best to spread love but even I had to admit that sometimes love can leave a unique pain in its wake. Still, all pain is temporary and true bonds will always see through that pain.”

Twilight spun her empty cup around on the table. “I wish I could help, Princess; but this is way out of my field at this point.”

“That’s alright, Twilight.” Celestia gathered herself. “Just having you here to listen is more than enough. Thank you, all of you, I do feel a bit braver now.”

“Well, I do wish to get some rest before the night comes.” Luna rose and laid her wing to her sister’s shoulder. “If you’ll excuse me, sister.”

“Of course, Luna.” Celestia hugged her with her wing.

“Cadence, Twilight, it was good to see you both.” Luna tipped her head and left the table.

“You too, Princess Luna.” Twilight waved. “Hey Cadence, since we still have some time how about we walk the shops downtown?”

“That sounds great.” Cadence concurred as she stood. “Thank you for hosting us Celestia, I hope things turn out well.”

“Thank you Cadence, as do I. Hopefully I will see you all sooner than later.” Celestia said with a parting wave. Cadence and Twilight went out to enjoy the remainder of the day as Celestia headed back into the recesses of the castle to see to the rest of her duties.


The following morning found Celestia readying for the return of Argent and Aegis. She was able to tend to her morning workload quickly and had a place in the dining hall set for the three of them. While waiting anxiously in the throne room, she received a surprise visit from Twilight, Starlight and Rarity.

“Girls.” Celestia rose to greet them as they were led in by the guards. “This is certainly a surprise.”

“I thought you could use some moral support, Princess.” Twilight beamed.

“And we’re happy to be here for you, Princess.” Rarity added. “I was visiting Sassy at the shop anyhow and Twilight told me all about the special occasion.”

Starlight bowed before Celestia. “Twilight said that Argent is a powerful magic user, I’d love to meet him if I could, Princess.”

“I’m certain he would like that, Starlight.” Celestia bid her to rise. “He is more than capable of talking your ear off about magic.”

The door parted and a guard stepped in. “Your highness, the representatives of the elite guard await you in the reception hall. Their arrival has drawn a bit of attention.”

“That is to be expected.” Celestia nodded. “We shall be there shortly.”

“Yes, your highness.” The guard hurried back to see to the crowd.

Celestia and the girls traveled to the main hall where they could hear a clamor. As they entered, the room fell to a quiet murmur at her presence. The members of the elite guard stood in formation before her with Argent and Aegis at their center. Celestia halted at the sight of them, a part of her had so much to say and another wasn’t certain of what to say at all. Argent started forward, his bright blue eyes standing out distinctively against his silver coat. His long, rose tinted mane and tail seemed to flow in a preplanned rhythm as he stepped.

“Princess.” He bowed to her. “It’s good to see you again after so long.”

Aegis proceeded over as well, his powerful frame commanding a deal of both awe and intimidation from the gathered crowd. His calm, brown eyes were a peaceful offset to his presence and his heavy charcoal mane a smooth contrast to his burnt sienna coat.

“I share his sentiments, my Princess.” He lowered himself before her, his dulcet voice reverberating throughout the room.

Celestia eyed them both before falling into lighthearted laughter. “Knock it off, you two.” The room was taken aback at her response as the pair rose and smiled at her warmly.

“Celestia.” Argent went to her and laid his foreleg around her, hugging her fiercely. “I’ve missed you so much.”

“As I have you, Argent.” She said, almost in tears over the emotions she felt. “Aegis.” She hurried over to him and wrapped her forelegs around his neck. “It’s so good to see you again.”

“Not a day has passed without thought of you, my Princess.” He unfolded his right wing and wrapped it around her, nearly enveloping her entire body.

Twilight was amazed at how Celestia was acting, she had never seen her mentor so casual in so public a setting. It was as if the world around her was gone and all that remained were the three of them. Seeing this, she realized just how close they were. She smiled at the sight but was brought back to reality by a sharp elbow from Rarity.

“My word.” Rarity began. “That Argent fellow is quite the stunning stallion isn’t he?”

“Maybe, but Aegis is something else.” Starlight chimed in. “Have you ever seen a pegasus that big? The guy is a walking fortress.”

Back at the room’s center, Argent called the guards’ attention and dismissed them to some much needed R&R. Celestia pulled him and Aegis aside as the room relaxed and called the girls over.

“Aegis, Argent, this is Twilight Sparkle, the Princess of friendship.” Celestia introduced as Twilight nervously stood before them.

“Wow, Aegis.” Argent smiled up at him. “Seems like every time we come home there’s a new Princess.” He bowed before Twilight and smiled brightly. “It’s a pleasure to meet you.”

“Likewise, Princess.” Aegis lowered his head to her.

“It…It’s really nice to meet you too.” Twilight stammered, not wholly comfortable with the idea of two soldiers of their status bowing to her.

Celestia gestured to Starlight and Rarity. “This is Twilight’s pupil, Starlight Glimmer; and this is Rarity, one of the foremost designers and business mares in Equestria.”

“Ladies.” Argent used his magic to pull two roses from a nearby vase and held them before the mares.

“Oh my.” Rarity blushed as she took the flowers with her magic and set one to her mane and the other to Starlight’s. “Thank you.”

“I heard that you’ve studied a lot of varied magic?” Starlight eagerly stepped forward.

“Uh oh.” Argent perked up. “A magic fan?”

Twilight smiled proudly and put her hoof around her. “Starlight is an accomplished magic user herself.”

Celestia cut in before Argent could start up on the subject. “Before anything else, I would like to spend some time just catching up.”

“Of course, Princess Celestia.” Twilight used her magic to pick Rarity and Starlight up. “We’ll catch up with you all later, you deserve your reunion.” She carried her protesting friends off.

“I have a quiet spot set up for us.” Celestia noted as she led the pair out of the hall.

“That sounds perfect, my Princess.” Aegis said as he held the door for them.

The reunited friends sat, talked and laughed well into the afternoon. Argent and Aegis detailed to Celestia the events of their long mission, all the while she hung on their every word. After that, she delighted in reminiscing on the past; digging up old stories and jokes that they had shared. After a while, Luna headed down to join them, having wanting to give her sister plenty of time with them first.

“Greetings.” Luna announced as she entered the room. “It is nice to officially meet my sister’s legendary friends.”

“Princess Luna.” Aegis stood and bowed to her. “We have not seen you since your return, it is good to at last put a face to our written correspondence.”

“What he said, Princess.” Argent said as he followed suit.

“Please, as close as you are to my sister you are all but family. I ask no formality of you.”

Argent smiled in relief. “I ‘m grateful for that, Luna. With Princess Twilight added to the royal fold, all this bowing is making me lightheaded.” The sisters fell into laughter as Aegis pulled out a chair for Luna.

“Thank you, Aegis.” Luna nodded in thanks.

“Milady.” Aegis tipped his head to her.

Luna was glad to have the chance to come to know those who were so close to her sister. They were more than happy to answer all her questions and share embarrassing stories about Celestia. After several hours they were approached by an attendant who informed Celestia of an upcoming audience. She sent him off with news that she would be there at once and reluctantly stood from the table.

“My, I hadn’t noticed how late it had grown.” Celestia admitted with a hint of embarrassment.

“It’s alright, Celestia.” Argent assured. “For a change, we aren’t going anywhere.”

“I know.” She smiled. “Speaking of which, I’ve arranged to have the day to myself tomorrow. I’d like to spend some time with both of you. There is a special event at the Canterlot museum I thought that we could visit, Argent.”

“You do know me well.” He laughed.

“Aegis, I thought you might like to return to Cloudsdale. I would love to show you all that has transpired since you’ve been away.”

“I would love that, my Princess.” A serene smiled crossed Aegis’ face.

“Wonderful, then I shall see you both tomorrow.” Celestia started for the door.

Luna stood and gestured towards the adjacent hall. “Sister has had rooms arranged for you both, I’m sure you’re exhausted from your trip.”

“A bit, it’s just nice to be back in the comfort of home.” Argent stretched. “But a soft bed sounds good for change.”

“Indeed, thank you Lady Luna.” Aegis stepped to the side to allow her to lead the way.