• Published 4th Mar 2019
  • 3,557 Views, 115 Comments

Half Past Ten - Ashfur



No longer under Luna's control, the weakened Tantabus needs a caretaker. Unfortunately for Jake, the local human, he gets the job.

  • ...
6
 115
 3,557

My Name is

The inside of Jake’s admittedly small home on the edge of town was dark and lonely. Since he had moved in a few months prior after being released from Twilight’s care, Jake had gotten a job working for the purple Princess keeping her castle clean and organized. It wasn’t the most glamorous job, but he made do with what he had. Of course, all the calm and silence went out the window as Jake all but kicked the door in, cradling a small filly in his arms. “Okay, first aid. Where did I put the first aid kit?” Gingerly setting the foal down on the couch, he flicked on the lights and dashed off into the bathroom to fetch his medical supplies. After all, he had a child to take care of, one who seemed like they suffered a nasty fall. Thankfully, the house was well-stocked with supplies, and within minutes the human was back in the living room, carrying antiseptic gels and bandages for the filly’s cuts. He glanced at her again. Alicorns were supposed to be rare, with only four known to exist currently. Where had this little one come from? “Oh well,” he mused, “No point pondering her origins. I need to get the poor girl cleaned up, first.”

And so Jake set to work. Taking a washcloth soaked in warm water, he gingerly dabbed the blood off of her skin before carefully applying some antiseptic cream he got from Zecora and topping it off with a fur-friendly bandage. How they worked he’d never know beyond ‘its magic, just roll with it’, but they worked, and that’s all Jake could ask for. He repeated this process with each major cut on the foal’s torso and neck, electing to simply clean off the smaller wounds for the time being. Even so, it looked like the filly was well on her way to being dressed as a mummy for Nightmare Night. “Poor thing,” Jake noted with a somber expression. “I don’t even know you and I can tell you’ve been through a lot.” He paused, gently brushing a lock of her mane away from her face so he could check for wounds there as well. “How in the world did you end up in the middle of the lake, though? I suppose I’ll need to ask you what you remember when you wake up. No point in guessing right now.”

Satisfied that his work was done, Jake washed his hands and removed a slip of brightly colored construction paper covered in crayon markings from his things drawer. “Looks like I finally have an excuse to use this, at least.” He held it up to the light to double-check that he had taken out the correct object. On the slip of paper was a stick figure pony drawn in pink glitter glue, and in various colors of crayon, the following was written: “Welcome to Ponyville, Jake! Good for one Favor, no questions asked! Love, Pinkie Pie. Valid through-” along with a series of alien symbols that looked like some sort of date. But then again, Pinkie does whatever Pinkie feels like doing, and he’d learned not to question it anytime soon. Tucking the coupon into his jacket pocket as he hung it up on the coat rack, Jake turned back to face the small, speckled filly on his couch. “Don’t worry, little one. I’m gonna help you find your family, whatever it takes. I promise. But for now, rest. When you wake up, I’ll be here.” He leaned in and kissed her on the forehead, just underneath her horn, and pulled his head back to take one last look at the sleeping child…

Only to find a pair of eyes staring back at him, full of curiosity. The little pony was awake.

“Who…” She yawned cutely, as though she had been out for a long time. That first word, though, it hung in the air. Already, her sweet young voice melted Jake’s heart. The filly refocused her amber eyes on the human. “Who are you? And where am I? And why do I hurt?”

Jake performed a full mental reboot as he knelt down in front of the couch in the most non-threatening position he could think of. “T-There’s no cause for alarm,” he reassured her with a shaky voice. Social interactions were never really his thing, but this was important, so Jake swallowed his fears and kept going. “I found you out by the lake and you were hurt pretty bad. There wasn’t anyone… er, anypony, around to help you, so I brought you back to my house so I could get you patched up. Are you feeling alright? Now that you’re up, I’d like to get you cleaned up a bit more with a bath. Can you walk?”

“I think so… but could you carry me just in case, mister? I kinda need a hug, too…” The filly fid her face behind her mane for a moment, clearly embarrassed to ask a stranger for a hug.

“Aw, no worries. Come here, let me get ya up. I’m Jake, by the way.” He lifted the foal in his arms, holding her to his chest. Her ear flicked about in such a way that it landed above Jake’s heart, and much like the heartbeat of a mother soothes her child, so too did the rhythmic thumping inside Jake’s chest calm down the pony in his arms. When Jake felt he had let the hug go on long enough to offer the filly some time to calm down, he booped her on the nose and started walking to the bathroom. “What’s your name, anyway? I doubt you want me calling you ‘Little One’ all the time.”

The filly seemed to stop for a moment as they entered the bathroom. As Jake set her down and began preparing a bath, tears welled in her eyes. “I… I don’t know,” She whispered.

“What was that?” Jake replied. He was unable to hear her whisper over the running water.

“I DON’T KNOW!” She screamed back at him. The sheer force of her outcry nearly sent Jake barreling into the tub. “I… I can’t remember my name! I don’t remember anything! All I remember was this feeling of being taken off of something, then a fall… and then I woke up here! Mister Jake, who…” She choked back a sob. “Who am I?!”

Jake turned around and swept the filly up into a hug, her softly falling tears staining his custom-made shirt. Sorry, Rarity, He thought. But you make all my clothes. One shirt isn’t gonna kill ya. “Hey, hey. It’s alright. You probably just hit your head when you fell into those rose bushes and the memories got knocked around. They’ll come back. Don’t worry.” Jake ran his hand through her mane, holding the filly close as he let her cry it out. When she seemed like she had cried all she could, she just held onto Jake.

“What am I gonna do? I don’t even know who my mommy and daddy are.”

“Hey, relax.” He lifted her out of her hold on his shoulder and looked her in the face. “Everything is going to be alright. But for now, I gotta call you something. How about…” A flash of inspiration flew through his mind, almost like magic. He never understood magic, but it existed, so he tended not to ask questions that would get him a long lecture from Twilight. “...How about Mystic Lodestar? Do you know what a lodestar is?”

“N-no. What’s a lodestar, Mister Jake?”

“A lodestar is a bright star in the sky that guides people. And we want to guide your family to you, right? And mystic, because you’ve got that mystical, one-of-a-kind look to you,” he added, nuzzling her to show he cared. “It’s perfect! What do you think, Myst?”

“Myst… Mystic Lodestar…” Myst rolled the name on her tongue for a moment, as if testing it. Then her face lit up with a smile. “I love it!”

“Good! Now then, let’s get you cleaned up.” Jake lowered Myst into the bath, then reached under his sink to retrieve some mane and fur shampoos. “Thankfully my friends left these here for when they sleep over,” he explained, omitting the fact that it was mostly for Twilight’s research or Pinkie declaring a surprise slumber party for her and her five friends at his place. “But I don’t think they’ll mind if I borrow them. Now sit still and let me get those cuts of yours all cleaned up, alright Myst?”

Mystic seemed to grow happier and happier with each mention of her new name. “Mhm!” she nodded, closed her eyes, and allowed Jake to pamper her as he took care of her wounds once more. He was careful to not apply too much pressure and withdrew his hands whenever he made her flinch from brushing over a bigger cut, but before long she was clean, and only wearing four bandages instead of the twenty she had earlier.

As he dried her off, Jake explained what he expected to happen next. “Now, Myst, I don’t have any extra toothbrushes or whatnot, but I can fix that tomorrow. When we get up, we’re gonna go talk with my friends, and ask around town if anyone knows you, alright? If we can find a pony who recognizes you, we can get you back to your family faster! I bet they miss you.” He withdrew the damp towel, and almost tossed it to the laundry hamper but elected to hang it on the guest towel rack instead, in case she had to stay another night. “You can use the guest bedroom, and I’ll be right down the hall if you need me.” He quickly took her to the guest room and tucked her in, kissing her on the forehead once more. “Goodnight, Myst.”

“Goodnight, Mister Jake.”

Jake went back to the bathroom and got himself cleaned up for bed, and went to his bedroom. Just as he laid down in his oversized bed (by pony standards, at least), there was a knock at his bedroom door. He quickly got up and swung it open, finding a familiar little filly. Myst looked up at Jake, sheepishly scuffing her front hoof on the carpet. “Um… Mister Jake, I’m still a little scared. Could… could I sleep with you tonight? Please?”

“Aw… you don’t even have to ask. Come on, up we go!” Jake scooped the alicorn filly up in his arms once more, shutting the door behind him, and got her situated into bed with him. He cuddled her close, making sure she felt safe, warm, and comfortable. “Now then… goodnight, Mystic.”

Myst yawned, and snuggled herself up against Jake’s chest. “Goodnight Mister Jake… I love you.” She was so exhausted from her ordeal that she didn't even realize what she had said. And with that, she was out like a light, her breathing becoming slow and quiet.

Jake just smiled and shook his head. “I love you too, you silly filly. Now get some rest.” He kissed her mane one last time, turned out the light, and within minutes he too was sleeping peacefully, with a foal snuggled in his arms.

Author's Note:

Well, this story took off faster than I expected! So here's a chapter ahead of my original schedule to compensate! Sorry I took so long to update.

Now, I have a very important question for you all.

Would you snuggle a Myst?