• Published 3rd Mar 2019
  • 549 Views, 20 Comments

BPT: The Coup of Avarice - Wolven5



Change is inevitable, the only question is which changes are the right ones

  • ...
 20
 549

Prologue

The room was dark and the air cold, but the thugs in expensive suits didn't much care for his discomfort as Dr. Caballeron was shoved in, carrying the briefcase that contained the price of his freedom. A while back, after he and his henchponies were confronted by Prince Midnight Blaze and his friends, Dr. Caballeron had awoken to find himself behind bars, courtesy of Midnight's arrangements.

He'd languished in prison for months on end, cursing Midnight, cursing Daring Do, cursing himself for letting his guard down around that insufferable alicorn!

But then, out of the blue... something he never could have seen coming happened, as one late morning, while eating his breakfast in the prison cafeteria, the place had been broken into by griffons, diamond dogs, and unicorns, and they'd taken Caballeron with them. The guards never had a chance.

They'd ignored all of Caballeron's questions, until he was brought to a secret location where he met the one who'd arranged his liberation. This pony and Caballeron, they'd talked for a long time, and his benefactor soon made it clear that in exchange for the expenses he'd made in getting Caballeron out of jail that the archaeologist was going to pay him back. At first, Caballeron thought his benefactor wanted his private collection of ill-gotten artifacts and treasures he'd painstakingly gathered over the years but the pony had something else in mind.

To help him in his mission, Caballeron had been given notes, research, books, henchponies, connections, anything necessary to help Caballeron to search for a mysterious artifact his benefactor wanted, and he'd been given a deadline. Emphasis on 'dead'.

Not caring to remember the gory details, Caballeron got the picture and dove into his research like a mad pony to find this artifact as quickly as possible. The first few leads had turned out to be dead ends, and with each passing day Caballeron feared more and more that unless he repaid his debt before his deadline he would wish he'd been allowed to rot in prison. Finally, his research paid off. He'd led an expedition to an especially desolate corner of the Badlands where one of the most bloodiest battles in pony history had taken place thousands of years ago, a battlefield that was supposedly cursed after it was left to serve as a graveyard of all the warriors who'd perished there. While Caballeron's line of work had taught him to take such ominous legends seriously, the threat to his life in the possibility of his failure had motivated him. Now the artifact his benefactor wanted was safely in the briefcase he carried, and now he was facing his benefactor in this dark cold room, and the smell of a lit cigar offended his nostrils.

"Dr. Caballeron..." said the voice of his benefactor.

It was a voice as smooth and rich as fine wine, the kind of which carried an exquisite taste that hid the poison.

"I am very happy to see you, and am excited to hear that you have succeeded in repaying your debt to me. Of course, I'll need to see it to believe it..."

"Why certainly, Lord of Lords," Caballeron set the brief case onto the table and eased it forward, "let it never be said I fail to satisfy my clients."

"Especially after you are... properly motivated," A hoof reached out of the darkness to pull the briefcase closer, turn it around, and undo the fasteners. The lid was lifted open, revealing an ominous glow from within, "Ah, at last..."

"Though I won't deny, good sir," Caballeron admitted, "this one turned out to be one of my more... difficult acquisitions. Honestly, I'm surprised you'd want this relic, considering its history."

"There are all kinds of creatures in htis world, Dr. Caballeron. In this particular moment, two come to mind - Those who recognize an opportunity and take advantage and those who lack the spine... In any case, with your connections to the black market trade of antiques, Doctor," the voice chuckled darkly, "who else could I have turned to in order to find this miraculous treasure? Certainly not that insipid explorer, Daring Do."

"Daring Do is an accomplished archaeologist, I cannot deny that... But there are means and methods I am willing to use that she is not. In any case, sir..." Caballeron cleared his throat, "I take it that you are satisfied?"

"I am, Doctor," the voice responded before closing the briefcase, "Consider our account settled. You are free to go, though I shouldn't have to remind you that the nature of our transaction is not to be repeated. To anyone..."

"Of course, Sir, however..." Caballeron knew this question was thin ice, but still he couldn't help but ask, "I confess myself most curious... Just what is it you need this artifact for?"

"Do you play chess, Doctor Caballeron?"

"I enjoy a game every once in a while, I suppose."

"A game of strategy, it was once a requirement of squires in the ancient days to play chess daily, to teach these young ones the concept of strategy. To hone their foresight, their cunning, to think on their hooves when finding themselves in unexpected situations. To sharpen their minds. To make a plan. And every plan, my good doctor... needs a Plan B."

"And I most certainly agree," Caballeron stood up and gave a respectful bow, "Again, I thank you for breaking me out of prison, even if it came with a price, and I thank you for the opportunities your venture has presented to me in the course of this deal."

"Happy treasure hunting. Caballeron," the pony chuckled in an almost condescending way.

And with that, Dr. Caballeron nodded and walked out, hoping that he'd never cross paths with this pony again. Once the door shut, the figure removed his hood, revealing the face of Buck Cheap, the Duke of Commerce and Business. He smirked and looked down at the artifact in the briefcase.

"I can say, checkmate," he chuckled. "Count your days numbered, royals."