• Published 9th Mar 2019
  • 705 Views, 23 Comments

Limestone and the Digging Unicorn - Miner



The rock farm has an unusual problem. And Limestone has to fix it with the most unusual unicorn

  • ...
1
 23
 705

Huh?

Limestone wakes up from her sleep. She feels weak, but she has to try again. She pushes herself up and off the bed. On shaky legs, she walks out of the room. Moving the curtain aside, she can see a hallway going to the left and the right. Glowing mushrooms are lighting both ways. There are no signs on the wall about where to go. He must already know where to go, so they are not needed. He could always dig his way out if he gets lost. But that makes things harder for Limestone, who has enough trouble standing up. She can't afford to get lost down here. But she is a very stubborn mare and will not let a stallion tell her what she can or can't do. Slowly she makes her way down the path to the right. Not noticing that from the shadows to the left, where something moved.

Limestone has lost track of how long she has been walking. Her side hurts with every step, but she will not let up. She is a Pie, and Pies let nothing stand in their way. The hallway seems to go on forever. But she can't stop now. She is unsure if her legs could get her back up if she sits down to rest. There is a room coming up to her right. Curious, she takes a closer look and sees that it is blocked with a familiar-looking curtain. She moves it to the side to find out that it is the same room she had left earlier.

Her jaw drops in shock, "That's not possible." But there it was, everything was in the same spot she had left. "I couldn't have gone in a circle. I only went down one hallway."

"Good for you." A voice said behind her.

Limestone turns around to see The Digging Unicorn again, "When did you get ther- HAY!" She was lifted into the air by his magic, moving towards the bed; this annoyed her, "Put me down!"

The Digging Unicorn looks at her unamused, "I thought you were a smart mare and would listen to me when I said to stay and rest in the bed." He drops her half a foot above the bed to bounce a little.

She grits her teeth knowing that he did that on purpose. This is why she hates magic. Not that she could do anything about it. But first things first. "What was that earlier!"

He is unfazed by her outburst and replies, "One of the reasons why I was sent here. Not that you need to know about it. It will be gone once I am finished with my work.

She turns away in a huff laying back down on the bed. He shakes his head at her, "Limestone, why can't you wait until you are better before you do something like that again?"

"Why can't you take me up to the surface? Wouldn't that be easier?"

He puts a hoof to the side of his head and lets out a heavy sigh closing his eyes. "These tunnels are not like the ones you would normally find across Equestria. They are different and can be dangerous if you have no idea what you are doing. To get you out of here as you are now. I would need another pony to help me. I can't act as your wagon and your guide simultaneously down here. You are going to have to trust me on that. However, since you have just proved that you are unwilling to stay put until you are well. I will talk with your family to see if we can get you out of here faster."

"Good."


The Pie family waits for the stallion to appear on the surface. Ever since the mother returned to tell the others what she heard from the stallion, they have been waiting for him to appear again.

Maud had also arrived and waited with them. She initially came here for the Diamond dogs' problems, but she had to run there due to missing the train. It took her a whole day, but she did it. Before long, the stallion emerges from the ground.

"Hello." The Digging Unicorn simply said,

The father got into his face mad, "WHERE IS MY DAUGHTER!"

The Digging Unicorn gently pushes him away before wiping his face, "She is safe. And I am glad that there are more of you here."

The mom moves close, worried, "Did something happen?"

He nods at this, "In a way. Limestone refuses to stay in bed to complete her recovery."

The mom nods at this, "That sounds like Limestone."

"So I will need one of you to accompany me to bring her to the surface."

The dad raises an eyebrow, confused, "Why only one?"

"Any more will make it harder. Now then, who will help me?"

"I will do it," Maud said; no one argue her decision. If anypony can handle themselves in a mineshaft, it's Maud.

"This way." Maud followed the stallion down the tunnel. During the descent, Maud speaks up,

"So, what are you doing here?"

"What do you mean?"

"Don't play around with me D.U. unlike my family, I know who you are and what you do. So why here?"

The stallion was surprised by this. Not many ponies know about him or his job. Those that do are one way or another, related to his field of work, "The caves under this land have become unstable. I came to correct that, along with other things. However, your sister's accident has slowed down my progress."

"How long until you are done?"

"In two weeks or more, depending on how severe the damage is."

"May I ask what is causing the problems down here?"

"Can we focus on getting your sister out of here first?"

"Sorry. I simply appreciate your work."

"Thank you."

"Can I ask you another question?"

He sighs and looks back at the mare, "I am not giving you my true name."

"Please."

"No."

This goes on back and forth until the two walk in silence all the way to Limestone.

"Maud!"

Maud moved quickly to hug her sister. "I came as soon as I could."

Limestone returns the hug and looks at the stallion. "So I can finally get out of here?"

"Yes. Now let's make haste." Maud pulls her sister onto her back.

"Hold on a second." He said out loud, turning his head and ears from side to side, listening for something. Limestone was going to say something, but Maud stop her with a hoof to her mouth. "From this point on you don't speak a word. It is not safe."

"What are you talking about?"

"Trust him, Limestone." Maud spoke up, "He knows what he is doing."

Limestone doesn't know what to make of this situation. Her sister, Maud, has the most challenging time making friends and is one of the most protective of her siblings. Is telling her to trust this stranger. Just who is D.U.?

But she trust her sister and remained quiet as they processed out of the underground. As they continued their journey, they find themselves in a vast underground cavern. There are relics of old pony life and buildings. But what stood out the most was that she could see all of this despite being underground. The reason was due to something glowing a soft blue moving between the buildings. It was too far away to see, but Limestone could see that there are a lot of them. As the ponies moved away from the cavern, Limestone thought she saw something move in the shadows nearby. She couldn't see anything. Not to mention that she was told not to talk, so she remained quiet. But that didn't mean she didn't look behind them now and then.

Before long, The Digging Unicorn leads them to an upward tunnel. And at the end of the tunnel, the Pie family greeted their members with open hooves.

"Limestone!" they called out to her as she got off her sister to hug her family.

Limestone leans against Maud for support as she looks back at the stallion to see him still in the ground, with only his head popping out. "What were those things?"

"What things?" Her father said, "What is going on?"

The Digging Unicorn scratches his head, "I guess I am due for an explanation then. To answer your first question. Those were spirits of past-earth ponies trapped within the ground. One of my jobs is to find them and help them move on."

"There are ghosts under our farm!" The mother said,

"But why did we have to be quiet?" Limestone asked,

"They tend to get violent when Somepony or something causes loud noises."

"So that's one of the reasons why you came up to the surface when we called out to you?"

"Yes. That and my ears hurt badly."

"How do they get stuck down there, to begin with?" The father asked,

"It could be several reasons why. From dying with unfinished business to having a strong will to protect their home."

"But why would their Spirits be underground and not above ground?" The mother asked,

"Well, you don't leave a dead body above the ground, do you?"

"So they are underground because that is where their bodies were laid to rest. But wonder the underground due to reason known only to them?" Limestone said,

"In a nutshell, yes."

"Do we have to worry about this?" Marble asked,

"No. So long as I don't have any more interruptions with my work. You won't have to worry about ghosts haunting your house soon."

"Is that why there are haunted houses sometimes?"

"Yes. That would be due to not getting to the spirit in time before they move above ground."

"Is that you do, sir?" The mother said,

"Well, yes and no. I mostly help reinforce the underground cave system from collapsing in on itself. But whenever I stumble around something like this, I do what I can for them to move on. Now, if you excuse me, I must get back to work."

"One more question." Limestone said,

"Yes?"

"Why is only your head popping out of the ground?"

He briefly looks down at himself before looking back at her, "I don't see what you are getting at."

"You are a pony, not a gopher. You can get out of the ground every now and then."

"No, thank you. Now, if you excuse me. I must get back to-" For some reason, the stallion's eye got big before he cried out in a loud shout,

"YEOW!"

He shoots out of the hole and falls to the ground in pain, holding his rear. The Pie family turns to the hole to see another stallion holding a sharp needle in his mouth. This stallion was red and had a red and orange stripe mane. He smiles at The Digging Unicorn before spitting out the needle.

"I told you that I would get you."