• Published 9th Mar 2019
  • 705 Views, 23 Comments

Limestone and the Digging Unicorn - Miner



The rock farm has an unusual problem. And Limestone has to fix it with the most unusual unicorn

  • ...
1
 23
 705

I don't like you.

"ACK!" LImestone said before falling back down on the bed. She breathes heavily as her body acks in pain. 'That was a bad idea.' She thought to herself. 'I don't want to be down here but it looks like it is unavoidable. NO! I can do this.'

Limestone got her hoof to the side of the bed and push herself up when her hoof give out and she fell out of bed. Limestone closed her eyes and waited for the impact to come but it never did. Just the feeling of something warm holding her up. She opens her eyes to sees that she is covered in a light blue magic glow. Looking at the entrance of the room, she can see The Digging Unicorn is there with his horn glowing brightly. Gently he moves her back onto the bed with his magic.

He gives her a deadpan stare, "Just what do you think you were doing?"

She gives him one of her own, "Getting out of here."

He shakes his head before answering, "I already told you. You can leave yet, your body hasn't recovered enough for that. Do you want to extend your stay here?"

Limestone gives out a frustrated grunt and looks away from him, "No."

The Digging Unicorn moves to his workbench and uses his magic to pull out a metal cylinder from the shelf. He opens the top before pouring the contents into a wooden bowl, bringing it to Limestone. "Here." Limestone just looks at it unimpressed and disinterested. The Digging Unicorn shakes his head before letting out a tired sigh and putting it on the table into Limestone, before returning to his workbench.

As he continues his repairs, Limestone takes a closer look at the bowl. 'Hum. It looks like Mom's stew, but the smell is different.' Limestone thought to herself. 'It is an interesting smell, definitely something I never tried before. Not to mention that a lot of small things are flowing in it. What is this? Wait. Could this be what I think it could be!'

"Don't tell me that this is medicine?"

"Okay, I won't." He agrees with her calling over his shoulder.

This frustrates Limestone as she yells at the stallion, "That doesn't tell me anything!"

"You told me not to."

Limestone grunts in frustration again, "I hate you." She said, not noticing that the stallion stopped moving at the workbench for a second before continuing his work. Feeling hungry Limestone shallowed her pride and took a sip of the stew. Her eyes widen, 'Hay, this is not bad.' She thought to herself and finish the bowl quickly.

Minutes pass in silence with only the sound of the stallion working on the workbench. Bord Limestone grew curious about what he is doing. "What are you doing anyway?"

"Fixing my tools."

"That is it?"

"They wear down quickly at the speed I use them."

"That makes sense. The only creatures I know that can dig through the earth as fast as you are two of my sisters and Diamond Dogs. But you are the first unicorn I ever heard about that digs the way you do. But why? You are a unicorn." He looks over his shoulder at her, "Don't you unicorns normally use your magic for other things than this? Like casting spells or whatnot?"

"Not every unicorn can be all-powerful like Twilight or Starlight. Or care for learning everything there is to know about magic," He looks to the wall sliding a hoof down it, "My future lies within these stones. My magic is as strong as it needs to be. That all there's to it." He sighs, going back to work.

He lifts a pickax inspecting it before the handle breaks in half. Frustrated, he tosses the pickax to the side and works on another one. After a few minutes in silence, Limestone speaks again, "Who are you?"

"No pony important."

"I mean, what is your name."

"It doesn't matter."

"What are you talking about? Of course, it matters. It is your name. How else am I going to know how to call you?"

He inspects the new pickax calling over his shoulder, "If you must. Call me the Digging Unicorn."

"I wasn't asking for a long nickname. What is your real name?"

"None of your business."

"You are not making any sense."

Gently he puts down the pickax, not looking at her. "What I am saying is that. There is no point in telling you more about me or my name. Once you are reunited with your family and once I finish my work. You will forget me. Like I was no more than a bad dream. Just like the rest."

Limestone wanted to say something, but what could she say? He was right. Once she was back with her family and him gone, she will forget about him. So why does she feel so bad about it? She hates this stallion who has been only kind to her. Treats himself as nothing more than a fleeting shadow to those around him. Why does he act this way? He is a pony too. This stallion infuriates her to no end!

He puts his new tool down as he turns to face her, "Now get some rest, Limestone. Your Mother will be seeing you tomorrow."

"How do you know my name?"

"I meet your mother above ground and inform her that you were in my care. She wanted to see you, but I told her to wait until tomorrow."

"Whatever for? I am perfectly fine to see her right now." A small rock magically touches the right side of Limestone's ribs gently. "EEEOOUUCCHH!" Limestone grabs her side in pain. She wishes nothing but death for the stallion before her as his horn dims dropping the stone.

"If you couldn't handle a small rock touching your side. Imagine a hug from a worried Mother." He says emphasizes his point on worried.

She grunts, slowly letting go of her sides, "You could have just reminded me that I have sensitive ribs right now."

"That won't have work."

"What?"

"With your current bedside manners. Unless I used a painful reminder. You would have insisted anyways."

"Are you always like this to your guest?"

"I wouldn't know. You are the first in a long time. Now, if you are done trying to hurt yourself. It is time for some sleep."

Limestone glares at him as he moves to the side of her bed, "Don't get any funny ideas, buster."

"Now, what are you going on about?"

"You have made it clear that this is your bed that I am currently using."

"And,"

"Don't And Me, mister! You and I both know that I am a mare, and you are a grown stallion who can take advantage of this situation to share it with me! Well, I am not that easy! And if you think I will let you try and sleep with me! Than You have another thing coming!" She says, trying to look intimidating despite her injuries.

There was a moment of silence before the Digging Unicorn magics an extra blanket to come out from under the bed, "What are you talking about? Why would I share a bed with a mare I don't know? I was getting a blanket for myself to sleep somewhere else. Why did you think I was going to sleep with you?" He says in a calm and confused voice, as Limestone looks at the blanket in embarrassment as he puts it on his back.

She struggles to find a reason to be angry with the stallion and finds none. "I just thought-"

"That I am scum that will do whatever he wants without caring for anypony around him?" He stares at Limestone with anger in his eyes, causing her to flinch. "Like taking advantage of a mare in his care. One that can't defend herself properly? One that he has done no wrong to. And has given her no reason to think that he would ever do such a terrible thing to a lady!" His anger rages out of him as firmly talks to her.

"No, I-" She struggles to talk back, not used to being on the losing side of an argument.

"Never thought you would meet a stallion that just wanted to help out his fellow pony because it is the right thing to do!"

"No. I didn't-"

"Consider just once in your life that not every pony is as bad as you think!"

She looks away in shame, having nothing to say to him, "Good Night Miss Limestone. I hope you enjoy your stay." The stallion exits the room in silence. Leaving behind an uneasy feeling in the air. Limestone had no idea what that was about. She has never seen a stallion so hurt on the inside.

She lays downs on the bed to sleep with one thought going through her mind. "What happened to you, D.U.?"


The Digging Unicorn walks down a hallway and enters a freshly dug short cave. He moves to the end of where a pile of dirt lays before using his tools to create a makeshift bed and pillow. Once finished, he levitates his toolbelt and cloak off himself before the handle of the shovel rolls across the floor and stops at the wall. He sighs heavily at this and grabs the handle. He stares at it for a while before punching the wall with his other hoof causing creaks to spread around the impact area. "Way to go." He said to himself. "The first mare you were able to talk to in years, and you blow up in front of her." He pulls his hoof out from the wall, leaving behind a hoof print and causing some rocks the fall from the ceiling but not in danger of caving in. He notices this and lets out another heavy sigh. "And now I have another cave to fix. Well, I not sleeping here." He gathers his things and inspects the broken shovel. "Looks like this is the end of the line for you." He tosses the broken tool over his shoulder and leaves the cave. "Just like me someday."