• Published 9th Mar 2019
  • 699 Views, 23 Comments

Limestone and the Digging Unicorn - Miner



The rock farm has an unusual problem. And Limestone has to fix it with the most unusual unicorn

  • ...
1
 23
 699

What?

It is ten o'clock in the morning as a lone mare sleeps peacefully in her bed. But the silence would ruin by her bedroom door slamming open as another mare entered the room. Intruder stares at the prone mare, "Marble, wake up!" Limestone said to her sister, which caused her to stand up in bed, looking at her and rubbing her eyes. Before Marble could talk Limestone interrupts her, "You have overslept, and breakfast is almost over. Do something about it." Shocked, Marble quickly hurries out of the room, leaving her bed a mess as Limestone shakes her head. Limestone sometimes thinks she is the only one who takes her job seriously.

A Rock Farm doesn't sound like much at first, but the natural beauty comes from all the variety of stones available here. They have it all, from your pretty obsidian rock to diamonds. Of course, the latter takes much longer to find than the other, but enough of that. The Pie family has been living on this farm for a long time. They never needed to leave the farm, for they have everything a pony could want in life. Warms bed, a roof over their heads, and all the rocks anypony could wish. However, that couldn't be said for her sister Pinkamena Pie or, as her friends call her, Pinkie Pie. She is nothing like the rest of her family, too hyper for Limestone’s taste, but she is loved as much as any other family member. She lives off the farm in a town called Ponyville and visits now and then. Limestone would be lying if she said she didn't miss her sisters. Another one of her sisters, Maud, left the farm shortly after Pinkie Pie to continue her research in the ancient ruins near Ponyville. "Lucky," Limestone thought to herself, "Just imagine all the rock formations she gets to see every day."

She makes her way downstairs. "Hey, Mom." She calls out to her mother.

"Yes, Limestone?" Cloudy Quartz replies from somewhere in the home.

"Are there any orders that are behind schedule?"

"Not that I know. Perhaps Papa knows. He should be in the east fields looking for some Sedimentary rocks."

"Thank you." Limestone replies and heads out to the east fields. "Marble should be making her way to the North fields looking for WOAH!" Limestone stopped talking to herself when her hoof goes into a small sinkhole. It wasn't one to be worried about. You will find at least one or two of these around here. Limestone lifts her hoof out and starts patting down the area. "Darn sinkhole. Always causing problems to anypony that finds you." With one final pat, the hole was gone. "There. Now, where was I? Oh yes." Limestone continues to the east fields.


Limestone had arrived at the east fields, but something was wrong. "Dad!" Her dad was nowhere to be found. "Dad, where are you?"

"I am down here, Limestone," Igneous Rock said, "Don't get too close."

Limestone follows the voice to an enormous sinkhole. Testing the ground in front of her, she knows that it is not safe to move closer. "You, okay?"

"I am fine, Limestone. But I can't get out."

"I am going to be right back."

"Don't worry; I won't go anywhere."

"DAD!"


Limestone had returned with the rest of the remaining family and started pulling Papa out of the hole. It didn't take them long to get him out. Everypony moved away from the spot as they hugged their Papa. Limestone was the first to break the hug, followed by her mom except for Marble who started to cry refusing to let go.

"What happened?" Limestone said.

Her father calms Marble down by brushing her mane. "It came out of nowhere. One second I looked at the Sedimentary rocks, then the ground ate me." He looks at his wife. "This is the first time I fell into a sinkhole this big without time to get out of the way."

His wife put a hoof to her chin, thinking. "You don't suppose this is the work of those Diamond Dogs Pinkie told us about from the mines near her town?"

"It could be." He said as Marble finally calmed down. "Those varmints dig through the earth as fast as Maud through rock."

"If that is the case," Limestone said, "I will need to talk to Pinkamena to find out how she got rid of them. Let’s hope it is not more than one." Limestone went to get reinforcements.


It didn't take much for Limestone to convince Pinkie to return to the farm. After she heard the word Diamond dogs and the farm, she raced back to the farm faster than anypony could see. However, Limestone was confused as to why Pinkie Pie had bought along a mare she had never seen before to the farm.

"Pinkie, why did you bring a fancy mare here?" Limestone asked Pinkie, pointing at Rarity, who is putting on boots on her hooves.

"Oh, that is Rarity." Pinkie said, smiling. "She knows how to deal with Diamond dogs better than anypony that I know."

"If you say so." The sisters join Rarity with the rest of the ponies on the farm in front of the house. "So, what do we got to do first?" Limestone asked Rarity.

Rarity has dealt with Diamond dogs before; and has learned to avoid them, and one time got them to work for her for free for a moment. However, she never had to flush them out of an area. But the Pie family needs help, and she is the pony they turn to help. And she was confident that her knowledge of Diamond Dogs would help them. She composes herself and addresses the Pie family.

"We first need to find where they are. That hole could have just been one of their tunnels caving in. There must be a hole reaching the surface somewhere so they can breathe." Everypony spread across the farm, searching for the breathing hole.

After two hours of careful searching, they found the hole. It was towards the edge of the farm and went down deep. They know this because they drop a rock down it and didn’t hear anything for a few seconds.

"So now what?" Limestone asked while looking down the hole. "We go down the hole or something?"

Rarity had a look of terror on her face. It wasn't for the fact that she is suggesting that we should go down the hole to flush the Diamond dogs out, but instead, she just came out of the spa before Pinkie Pie picked her up. And would have to wait two days before she could go back. The spa was not cheap, and they are always so busy. "Don't be silly, dear. We have everything we need right here." Rarity said, pulling out a megaphone from her saddlebag with her magic. "Diamond dogs have sensitive ears. So, any loud noises will drive them away." Rarity gives the megaphone to Pinkie. "Pinkie, if you would be so kind," Rarity said before giving everypony earplugs and moving away from Pinkie. The others didn't get it at first, but once Pinkie took a deep breath, they put on the earplugs and moved away from Pinkie Pie.

Pinkie shouted as loud as she could down the hole, which caused everypony nearby to jump off the ground for a second. "HELLO ARE THERE ANY DIAMOND DOGS DOWN THERE!"

Pinkie's voice echoes across the land before everything goes quiet. Pinkie puts down the megaphone and looks back at everypony who is in a daze. "You think they heard me?"

"I think you killed them, dear." Cloudy Quartz said, getting back on her hooves.

"Well, good riddance, I said." Limestone said, pulling out her earplugs. "They would have caused us more problems if they stuck around. Just wish we had some way of knowing if they are gone or not.”

Just then, they felt the earth shaking as if something was digging. Looking around, they saw a pile of dirt moving up. Everypony moves closer to the pile, ready to finish off the Diamond Dog or Dogs once it comes out. But they weren’t expecting a brown Unicorn to pop out of the ground with a pickaxe and a shovel. He has a brown cloak and dirty goggles covering his eyes, and everything about him is earth brown. He came out of the ground screaming, holding down his ears to his head and rolling around on the floor.

“OW! OH SWEET CELESTIA I CAN STILL HEAR IT IN MY BRAIN! I CAN HEAR PAIN! OW! OH THE AGONY! IT’S HORRIBLE!” He screams, not knowing that he is surrounded. “WHO SCREAMS DOWN A RANDOM HOLE TO GET SOMEPONIES ATTENTION!" Getting to his hooves, he stumbles forward, holding the side of the head with a hoof, and bumps into Limestone. "Hello," he said calmly before backing up and lifting his goggles to show his Turkish eyes. His eyes widen as he sees the flat stare of Limestone. Not sure what to make of the situation, he tries to back away from her, smiling, only to find out that he is surrounded. Scared, the Stallion looked at his options before quickly using his magic to grab his tools and digging back into the ground.

Nopony knew what to make of this. He is as fast as a diamond dog while digging, but. "Honey."

"Yes, dear."

"There is a stallion digging in our farm."