• Published 9th Nov 2019
  • 739 Views, 52 Comments

The Alleys of Ponyville: Short Stories from the Noireverse - PonyJosiah13



A series of short stories set in the Noireverse, featuring Phillip Finder, Daring Do, and their friends.

  • ...
4
 52
 739

Moonlit Proposal

23rd of the Moon of Hunters, 1946.

The cool wind embraced Prowl as she glided and tumbled, as light and free as a leaf. Her wings spread wide open and she turned in midair, twisting to float on her back as she looked up at the stallion above her.

Maple Leaf glided above her, smiling down at her, his dark purple mane fluttering in the breeze. As their eyes met, he suddenly crossed his eyes, scrunched up his nose, and stuck his tongue out. Her laughter rose up into the night sky, and she nearly lost control of her wings, tumbling to the ground.

With two final twists and loops, the pair of thestrals glided down to the grass beneath them, loose leaves crunching beneath their hooves. Prowl took a single step forward and gently brushed her nose against Maple’s.

“See?” he grinned as he nuzzled her back. “I told you skydancing was fun.”

“And it’s great exercise,” she agreed, drawing away.

Maple sighed and rolled his eyes playfully. “And yes, that.”

He draped his wing over her body and she allowed herself to melt into the embrace as they strolled along the beaten pathway through the park, his leathery touch warming her through the coat she wore. They trotted past a bronze statue of Stinking Rich, benefactor of Ponyville, his proud stature appearing ludicrous in the empty park, silent save for the wind through the leaves. The full moon shone down upon them with her argent light, and the multitudes of stars were cavorting across the indigo sky, dancing in and out of the few clouds that gently floated past.

They passed by a row of benches, and Prowl moved to sit down upon the third one. Maple Leaf joined her, his wing still wrapped around her.

“Have you been sleeping better?” Maple asked.

“You know I have,” Prowl smirked, nuzzling the tickle spot where his neck and shoulder joined. He giggled and gently pushed her away.

“No, seriously,” he asked, concern glittering in his eyes. “Are you still having nightmares?”

Prowl frowned and tucked her head against his chest; he smelled of oak leaves and potting soil. “They’ve been getting better,” she stated. “I...still have them, but they’re not as bad anymore.”

“Good,” Maple nodded.

“Honestly,” Prowl admitted. “This is the best I’ve felt since I was discharged.”

“I’m really glad to hear that,” Maple said, kissing her on the cheek. The warmth from his touch spread across Prowl’s entire body.

“And…” Prowl swallowed, her face coloring. Some part of her brain rolled their eyes at her: she had flown into heavy fire to rescue trapped soldiers, and this is what was scaring her? She took a deep breath and looked up at Maple’s eyes.

“You’ve been a big part of that,” she said, picking her words carefully. “When I came back to Ponyville, I was a wreck. I couldn’t even keep an apartment, I wasn’t taking care of myself; even Bumblebee couldn’t get through to me. But you took me in, gave me a home, made me go to therapy…”

“Had to drag you,” Maple muttered through a grin. She bapped him on the head with a wing, but couldn’t hold back a chuckle.

“I can’t thank you enough for everything you’ve done,” Prowl admitted, lowering her gaze. “But...I can start with this.”

She reached into the pocket of her coat and extracted a small velvet box, which she held up. Maple Leaf’s eyes widened and his jaw dropped open as she opened up the box. Inside was a silver ring on a chain the color of autumnal leaves, the ring decorated with carved images of leaves.

“I love you, Maple Leaf,” Prowl whispered. “Will you marry me?”

He stared at the ring in silence for a moment, then slowly reached out to take it in his hooves. Tears of joy rolled down his cheeks, shining in Candrama’s glow.

“I dreamed of this moment ever since you pulled me out of that river,” he breathed, slowly placing the necklace over his head. The ring settled into his chest. “Well...I imagined myself proposing, honestly,” he chuckled. “But...how could I say no?”

A glow of joy spread through Prowl’s chest and she let out a bubbling laugh, tears leaking from her eyes. She embraced him tightly and kissed him on the lips, and he hugged and kissed her back, their tears mixing together. The wind still sang through the trees, and Candrama and her children smiled down upon them both.

“Thank you,” Prowl whispered, pressing her muzzle against his chest.

“No, Prowl,” Maple said. “Thank you.”

Author's Note:

Prowl's one of my favorite side characters, and she deserves more moments of adorableness, especially when they involve her dork of a husband. It was love at first (concussed) sight for him, but it took quite a few years and letters for her to start to return the sentiment. But once that bond was forged, it has become unbreakable.

Art by Miyathegoldenflower!