• Published 23rd Feb 2019
  • 5,947 Views, 323 Comments

Once a Necromancer Always a Necromancer - ThatOneLittleBoy



Once you learn the secrets of Necromancy you can never turn back

  • ...
41
 323
 5,947

Chapter 17 - The Weapon of Choice

Twilight followed Crystal Ember in silence down the hallway for what seemed like hours. From hallway to hallway, staircase to staircase, they kept going deeper and deeper.

Finally Twilight broke the silence between them and asked "Where are we going? It seems like we've been walking for hours."

Crystal smiled "We are going to the Labbrinthium."

Twilight looked at him with a look that said 'I have no idea what you are talking about, duh.'

Crystal laughed and shook his head "Sorry, sometimes I forget that others don't know everything that I do." He looked at Twilight with a smile "The Labbrinthium, Twilight, is a massive Labyrinth with monsters, traps, and other things that can kill you. It was built to test necromancers after they finish advanced necromancy training. Anyone who is qualified can try and go through it. They come down here and test their strength and skill in battle. And I believe you are ready for such a challenge."

"So you're telling me that I am going to a massive maze with things that can kill me to see how good I am in battle?" Twilight said, baffled.

Crystal nodded "Precisely."

Twilight looked at him with worry in her eyes "What if I get badly hurt, even killed?"

Crystal looked at Twilight with a reassuring smile "You won't I promise. We have medical teams on standby in case, ready to come to your aid at any moment. And we can teleport you out of there if need be."

Twilight nodded not really reassured. Crystal Ember just sighed.

After a few more minutes of walking the pair walked up to two massive iron doors. Crystal smiled as he opened the doors and said "Here we are, the Labbrinthium!"

As the doors opened Twilight gasped as she looked at the Labyrinth. It went on for miles in every direction. Every once in awhile there was a castle, village, or other structure within the massive maze. And she could even see it move, the maze was moving, changing.

Twilight starred in silent awe and horror. 'How am I going to get through that?' she thought 'I'm so screwed.'

Crystal looked at Twilight and sighed "I know that look, you think you can't get through, or will die trying," he looked at Twilight straight in the eye and said "But I know you can do it. You're smart, you'll get through."

"But what if I don't?" Twilight said with fear obvious in her voice.

"You will, I promise," Crystal said reassuringly. He smiled "Come on, let's go. If you want to do it, that is. If you really don't want to..."

Twilight shook her head "No I want to," she paused, biting her lip "I just might need some training to help me fight, I've never picked up a gun or sword in my life." She thought back to Totenberg Mountain, and what so did there ... and how she did it... She grimaced and asked "Um, do you have any guns?"

Crystal Ember shook his head "No we don't, we only have swords and bows and other outdated weapons such as that. I'm sorry."

Twilight let out a sigh of relief "Don't be. I'm actually happy about that, I don't really like guns."

Crystal smiled "I don't either," he looked at Twilight "Follow me."

Crystal walked of to his left down a hallway that Twilight didn't even notice was there. She quickly followed after him.

They walked into a small armory filled with every type of weapon you could think of. That didn't use gunpowder that is. Swords, crossbows, axes, maces, spears, there was everything.

Crystal smiled as he looked around "This is your selection of weapons you can bring into the Labyrinth. Pick one and it will be yours."

Twilight looked at him and rose an eyebrow "To keep?"

"To keep," Crystal said with a nod and a smile of his own.

Twilight looked around weighing her choices. 'A bow would be nice, I could use it at a range but would take a lot of skill I simply don't have. Want about a mace? That would be to heavy, and gruesome. A spear?' She picked up a spear with her magic and tried using it and sighed 'Don't like it. What about a sword?' She picked up a sword and swung it around. A small smile broke apawn Twilight face.

Crystal smiled himself "Looks like we have a winner!" He walked up to Twilight and took the sword from her grasp and asked "Do you think you will take a sword?"

Twilight nodded "Yes I do."

Crystal nodded and pulled out a long wooden box and handed it to Twilight with a small, inquisitive frown.

Twilight looked at it for a few seconds before Crystal said "Don't be shy, open it." She nodded as she lifted the lid of the box. Inside there was a cloth wrapped around what Twilight presumed to be a sword. As she lifted it out of the box with her magic and unwrapped it her suspicions were proven true.

The sword was a beautiful pure black. It's hilt was meticulously carved, the cross guard looked like the wings of a Pegasus extended outward to there full extent and the pummel was an iron cross. Along the blade Twilight could just make out the words "Leben und Tod sind deine Verbündeten". It was obvious that the sword was old, really old, even ancient.

She looked at Crystal, slightly stunned "This... Why are you giving me this?"

He stood there for a few silent and stunned seconds until he shook his head and smiled "Because it seems like it belongs to you." He turned around and said under his breath quietly so that Twilight couldn't hear him "So the king was right."

He turned back around and smiled at Twilight "Come on, let's go. You said you want some sword lessons?"

Twilight nodded as Crystal walked out of the room and into a staircase on the opposite side of the armory. He and Twilight both walked up the stairs and Into a large open room with a large window looking over the labyrinth.

Crystal Ember walked ahead of Twilight and stood in front of the window. He looked at Twilight and pulled out a sword, Twilight followed suit and pulled out her own.

He then looked at Twilight with a small grin "Ready?"

Twilight sighed "As ready as I'll ever be."

Crystal nodded "Good." He then ran forward and brought his sword down apawn Twilight. She screamed and just barely moved her own sword to block the incoming blow.

Crystal smiled "Good, your reflexes are good. But how good?" He then ran forward and slashed at Twilight from the left and tried to kick her with an apple buck. Twilight jumped backwards and brought up her sword and blocked the incoming attack.

Crystal looked at Twilight with a grin "They're better than expected, that's for sure." He looked at Twilight who was just staring at him and shook his head "You have to attack Twilight, just standing there won't get you anywhere."

She nodded and ran forward, slashing at Crystal Ember, he easily avoided the blow and backed away from Twilight. "Gotta do better than that!" He teased "You're not gonna kill a rabbit fighting like that!" Twilight turned towards Crystal and charged at him. As she got close she swung her sword at Crystal, once again he jumped out of the way.

"Come on Twilight, you can't do the same thing twice and exp-" he never got to finish his sentence as Twilight kicked Crystal with an apple buck of her own, making Crystal fly across the room and hit the wall.

He laughed as he stood up "Taking advantage of a boastful opponent, good strategy."

Twilight ran forward and slashed at Crystal. He smiled and raised his sword and blocked Twilight's. He then twisted his sword, got it just into the perfect position, and threw Twilight's sword across the room. He then pushed Twilight down to the ground, got on top of her and pointed his sword at her neck.

Twilight laid there for a few seconds panting until she laughed "You have to teach me how to do that."

He smiled and got off of her "I will, don't worry."

Twilight stood up and looked at Crystal with a small, nervous smile "So... How did I do?"

Crystal grinned from ear to ear "Wonderfully! Your reflexes are great and you use your enemies weaknesses against them. You could become an amazing swords mare with enough time and effort."

He lifted up his sword and smiled "Ready for round two?"

Twilight sighed "As ready as I'll ever be." Then a smile broke out on her face as both of then charged each other.

Author's Note:

Wow... I've been gone for quite a while now haven't I? I'm sorry everyone. I've gotten a new job and the job doesn't leave much time for writing. I'll try to write as often as I can but I won't be releasing a chapter every day like I use to. But don't worry I'm not going anywhere, I actually have big plans for the story. Very big plans.

Also if anyone can give me tips for sword fights it be much appreciated.

Also if you didn't know I'm revising my older chapters so make sure to check that out.

As always if anyone has any constructive criticism please give it to me in the comments below!