• Published 22nd Feb 2019
  • 1,192 Views, 65 Comments

Journey to the First Flame - Darth Link 22



Smolder chooses Fluttershy as her partner for a dangerous dragon custom.

  • ...
1
 65
 1,192

Chapter 4

In many ways, Fluttershy’s time with the Diamond Dogs was pleasant. She was given a comfortable room to recover in, access to the best foods the tribe could cook (although she had to be careful to always get the vegetarian option), and could spend time reading from the castle library.

Still, the entire time passed with a feeling of anxiousness that only grew with each passing day. The dread of what the other dragons would think when they learned that Smolder had died, and the even worse dread of what her friends would think when they learned of her failure. Even without those fears, she was becoming stir crazy. The underground had very little of the things she loved. She wanted to be outside, among the nature she loved.

She initially tried to still this longing by reading what books on nature Clan Azureclaw kept, but they only made her longing intensify. After that, she decided to occupy herself with the thickest tomes she could find. She found many of them uninteresting, but it was something to do.

After finishing up a collection of diamond dog fairy tales, she went searching through the library for further reading. Like almost everything else in the city, the library was plain looking. No fancy decorations or opulent structures, simply plain wooden shelves with simply signs designating the section. Inevitably, she found her way to the history section. Looking over the spines, she eventually found one that caught her interest.

The Complete History of the Clan War

***

Smolder moaned out loud to the empty room, as she had done several times that day. She was bored, bored, bored! She needed something to do. Something, anything, to occupy her mind. To keep her from thinking about how she had lost her teacher.

Her time here had been agony. In addition to her mourning, she hadn’t had a chance to fly, or play any of the extreme sports she loved doing. The caves were confining to a dragon like her.

She missed Ponyville. She wondered what her friends were doing. Sandbar was probably showing Yona some pony custom that she’d no doubt bungle, and Gallus would try some prank that wouldn’t go exactly how he planned, and everyone there would know it was him, even if they couldn’t prove it. At this point, she’d even take giving Spike another flying lesson.

She moaned again, looking around the apartment she had been given. She really wanted to go over to the other clan and ask them about Fluttershy, in some vain hope she was still alive, but she was told that would break the truces between the two clans.

She looked at the clock on the wall. It was moving painfully slow, but she saw it had moved far enough that it was time for lunch. As the thought passed through her brain, the door to her apartment opened.

The usual servant came in, wheeling in a cart that had her meal on it. She wasn’t sure what the meat was exactly, but after living among ponies for so long she was grateful to have meat at all.

“Thanks,” she muttered. She stripped off a piece and popped it in her mouth, savoring the taste.

“They wanted me to tell you that the meeting with the other clan is tomorrow. We should be able to ask them about your friend tomorrow.”

That made Smolder feel a little better, but not by much. After swallowing another mouthful, she asked, “What’s the deal with this feud anyway?”

The servant tilted her head. “You don’t know? No one told you?”

Smolder shook her head. “Nah. Everyone just keeps talking about how awful they are. I figured I’d hear something eventually.”

The servant was silent for a moment. “Well... I have been instructed to give you anything that would make your stay more comfortable. That means I can tell you what happened.”

Smolder hesitated for a moment. It sounded like a long story. Still, it wasn’t like she had anything better to do...

“Alright. Tell me everything.”

The servant cleared his throat. “Long Ago, the Two Clans of Greenrock and Azureclaw used to be a single clan named Iron Howl Clan. The clan was prosperous and lived in peace. However, it was not to last, as the clan was torn apart thanks to the traitorous actions of the Azureclaws.

“Treasonous?”

“Oh yes. You see, it all started with the discovery of a fresh vein of gemstones...”


Fluttershy opened her book and found the introductory text, labeled “A Brief Summary”. Skimming through the opening words, she soon found herself engrossed in the story.

Long Ago, the Two Clans of Azureclaw and Greenrock used to be a single clan named Iron Howl Clan. The clan was prosperous and lived in peace. However, it was not to last, as the clan was torn apart thanks to the traitorous actions of the Greenrocks.

It all started with the discovery of a fresh vein of gemstones. The two dogs that found them, Azureclaw and Greenrock, were legendary explorers that were well known for their discoveries. They were also well known for their friendship, being sworn brothers who shared nearly everything.

The discovery of the vein was made during an expedition to find safe alternate passage to the surface. It was large, enough to fill the gemstone needs of the entire clan for generations. Soon, there was an official mining team extravating the sight, and it made the pair incredibly rich.

After two years, both Azureclaw and Greenrock decided to use their newfound wealth to run for potions in the council. They both won, securing themselves seats and making them both very powerful politically.

Unfortunately, that power ended up corrupting Greenrock. While Azureclaw won over half the clan with his wise leadership and charming personality, Greenrock used empty promises and solutions that only true fools would believe in to win over the other half.

Azureclaw knew that something had to be done. He was a wise canine, and could already see that half the clan was being poisoned by the honeyed words of his former friend. He could see the divide that was already starting to form over the disagreements. So he told the half of the council that supported him that they needed to start preparing for war in secret. Meanwhile, Greenrock was lying to his supporters and telling them that Azureclaw would support an uprising if things didn’t go his way


“Unfortunately, that power ended up corrupting Azureclaw. While Greenrock won over half the clan with his wise leadership and charming personality, Azureclaw used empty promises and solutions that only true fools would believe in to win over the other half.

“Greenrock knew that something had to be done. He was a wise canine, and could already see that half the clan was being poisoned by the honeyed words of his former friend. He could see the divide that was already starting to form over the disagreements. So he told the half of the council that supported him that they needed to start preparing for war in secret. Meanwhile, Azureclaw was lying to his supporters and telling them that Greenrock would support an uprising if things didn’t go his way.

But the truth was it was Azureclaw who was committing treason. Greenrock uncovered his secretly amassing power. Azureclaw responded by making his preemptive measures sound like he was planning a revolution, and the entire clan plummeted into civil war.


But the truth was it was Greenrock who was committing treason. Azureclaw uncovered his secretly amassing power. Greenrock responded by making his preemptive measures sound like he was planning a revolution, and the entire clan plummeted into civil war.

After a period of chaos, the once great city was split into two, one for each clan. The vein, not even half empty, has been sealed off until the war ends.

Fluttershy stopped reading. She kept looking at the book, but wasn’t absorbing any more words. This was all a but suspicious. As far as she was concerned, most wars were fought over stupid things, but this seemed extra suspicious.

“Fluttershy?”

Fluttershy looked up. Rukil was walking up to her. “Oh. Hello.”

“Still finding ways to pass the time?” Rukil asked.

“Oh, yes. I was just reading about the war.”

Rukil got quiet for a moment. “You picked an unhappy subject. The war has taken its toll on us.”

Fluttershy tilted her head, looking confused. “Really? Your city appears to be in good shape.”

“A front. You never show your weakness in war. The truth is we’re running low on resources. There barely enough crops being grown, or meat being hunted, to go around.”

Fluttershy didn’t wince at the mention of meat, like some people might assume she would. She did surround herself in nature, after all, and nature was far more brutal than most ponies gave it credit for, especially in areas where ponies hadn’t properly tamed it.

“Are you any closer to coming to peace?”

“I don’t think that peace is happening within my lifetime,” Rukil said. “The Greenrocks have refused every peace treaty we brought to them. They refuse to budge their position. And as long as they’re attacking us, we can’t lay down arms.”

That upset Fluttershy. War was something she never had a stomach for. She knew she was privileged, growing up in a land as peaceful as Equestria. She remembered Twilight’s story of the alternate timelines she had visited, the timeline where Sombra had brought Equestria to war. The mere description of it sent a chill up her spine. The Changeling timeline, where Twilight, after some coaxing, admitted that she had seen the other her killed in combat. It was clear the image was still troubling Twilight, and Spike admitted the whole thing still gave them both nightmares.

“Fluttershy?” Rukil asked. Fluttershy realized that she had been quiet for a bit too long.

“Oh, I’m sorry. But... war is so horrible, is nothing being done about it?”

“We’re doing everything we can, but the Greenrocks refuse to see reason. Remember, they tried to embezzle from us.”

“No, Greenrock tried to embezzle from you. Isn’t he dead by now?”

Rukil looked at her like she had just dispensed some unknown piece of knowledge. “I... guess so. But the Greenrocks haven’t been willing to negotiate since then. If they’re so innocent, why aren’t they agreeing to peace?”

Fluttershy was quiet for a moment. Why wouldn’t they agree to peace? That didn’t add up.

Then she remembered Queen Chrysalis. When Thorax took control, it had been revealed she had been deceiving her subjects to keep them in line. Could it be that simple?

“Greenrock must have lied to his clan. Why else would they be willing to fight a war over one dog’s greed?”

“Because they’re hor...” Rukil started to say, but it was out of reflex more than any real conviction. He really started to think about it. “Could it really be that simple?”

Fluttershy’s mind was now racing, trying to come up with a plan. This was unusual for her. Planning and leading was Twilight’s department, or Applejack’s if Twilight was incapacitated, and she had always followed their directions with faith that they knew what they was doing. But this was an adventure she was on alone.

“Perhaps we should bring up this possibility with the council? But... who knows if they’ll even listed to us.”

“My friends and I have solved bigger problems than this,” Fluttershy said. “We should at least try.”


Smolder sat alone in her hospital room, for once not feeling bored. She was turning over the story that she had just heard in her mind. There was something about it that just didn’t add up.

Azureclaw committed embezzlement, which led to war. But Azureclaw was long dead. Why still fight a war over it? It seemed so pointless.

Finally, she couldn’t take it anymore. She pulled herself out of bed. She was a little sore, but she could move. She couldn’t sit around anymore.

She started for the door, but stopped. If anyone saw her, they’d probably send her back here. No, she needed to sneak out.

So, she went for the window. After making sure that there was no dog to see her, she snuck through it.


Fluttershy hated having eyes on her, and being the only pony in a city full of dogs pretty much guaranteed that would happen. Still, she was getting used to it, if only marginally, and the trip from the library to the council building wasn’t quite as torturous as before.

Now waiting in the front lobby, Fluttershy passed the time by reading one of the books in the waiting area while Rukil went and had a word with his superiors. It was a plan the dog had come up with on the trip over. He was supposed to be checking in with the council on Fluttershy’s status on a regular basis anyway, so he had an excuse to visit them.

He didn’t want to question anything about the war directly. Questioning the council on their decisions was considered bad form. But if he said that he merely wanted suggestions on what to say to soothe Fluttershy’s nerves, he could probably get the topic out without upsetting them.

Rukil was still nervous as he entered the chamber. The Dogs that ran the city sat on their seats, looking at him.

“What do you have to report?” one asked.

“Well, Fluttershy is mostly comfortable in the city and I’ve had no problems with any of our citizens harassing her. However, she’s becoming a bit restless here.”

“An understandable response. She is a flying creature stuck underground, far from home. I’m sure she can find ways to occupy her time for three more weeks.”

“I’m sure. I was hoping to get the council’s permission to use the private skyboxes at the arena and the theatre. Maybe a few diversions will keep her calm?”

There was some quick muttering among the council that Rukil suspected was for show. They needed to look like they were giving some token form of debate to any idea that didn’t come from one of them.

“That will be fine. Is there anything else you wanted to ask us?

“Well, yes. But she’s starting to read up on the war we’re having with the Greenrocks. She has some questions that I couldn’t give an answer to calm her. I was hoping I could get a better idea of what to tell her from you.”

There was an uneasy air for a while as the council members just looked at him. For a few moments, Rukil wondered if he was in trouble.

“What kind of questions is she having?” There was no undercurrent of threat or danger in the council member’s voice, at least none Rukil could hear. It was a neutral question, and it made him all the more nervous.

Really hoping his nervousness wasn’t showing, Rukil opened his mouth. “Well... she asks why the Greenrocks are so willing to follow their former leader, if all this was just to satisfy Greenrock’s greed. I tried explaining to her that the clan has a history of aggressiveness and foolishness, but she didn’t seem convinced.” No need to reveal that he was starting to doubt things as well.

“I see,” the council member said. Still no tone that indicated the council’s emotion, and it was still making him nervous. “Well, tell her this. She might be welcome here, but she’s an outsider who hasn’t grown up in our environment. She simply cannot understand the war like those who are having to live through it. Perhaps she shouldn’t concern herself with it.”

“Of course,” he said. He was always formal with the council.

“Do you have any other concerns to bring up to us?”

“No sir.”

“Very good. You're dismissed. Oh, and take Fluttershy to the theatre tonight. A play might get her mind off of things.”

“Yes sir.”

Rukil left, feeling grateful that things hadn’t blown up but feeling that things just took a turn for the worse.

Fluttershy saw Rukil exit into the lobby and put her book down. It was a collection of poems, good for little reads, making it good for waiting rooms. She met him.

“How’d it go?”

“Pretty well. They gave us tickets for the theatre tonight, it might soothe your nerves.” he gestured toward the door, hoping Fluttershy got the hint and didn’t press the matter much.

Fortunately, she did. She started heading toward the door, giving Rukil a look that was filled with an anxious curiosity.