• Published 22nd Feb 2019
  • 1,196 Views, 65 Comments

Journey to the First Flame - Darth Link 22



Smolder chooses Fluttershy as her partner for a dangerous dragon custom.

  • ...
1
 65
 1,196

Chapter 3

The cave ended up being far bigger than previously thought. The lantern had limited magical charges, and eventually Fluttershy saw fit to turn it off. It didn't matter. Dragons naturally lived in caves, so Smolder was able to guide her.

Stil, finding an exit was not as easy. Smolder and Fluttershy, who had done their fair share of cave exploring, felt for any sort of air current that might lead them to an exit, strained their eyes for any light that might be Celestia’s sun pouring in, but nothing came.

They walked in silence, hoping to at least find a wall that they could follow. After an hour, Smolder spoke up.

“I think the tunnel’s getting smaller.”

Fluttershy stopped for a moment. Then she flew up while reaching with her hooves, only going about fifteen feet before hitting the ceiling.

“Oh my, you’re right. Maybe we’re getting close to an exit.”

“Or a dead end.”

“...Did you manage to save any of the rations?”

“Yeah, but only enough for a day.”

Fluttershy didn’t answer, because as she felt the tunnel ceiling. “Smolder... I don’t think this tunnel is natural.”

“What do you mean?”

“Feel it.”

Smolder obeyed, and she instantly saw what she meant. “It’s jagged and uneven. Like it’s been... dug.”

Fluttershy pondered this. There was something that made her uneasy about this whole thing.

They kept going forward, staying on the ground. After a few moments, Smolder spoke again. “It was pretty awesome what you did with the Earth Snake, even if it was a big gamble.”

Fluttershy, never one to take praise easily, blushed. “Well... it has worked for me before.”

And it had. Kindness had given her a difficult but priceless friendship with Rainbow Dash, an even more difficult but priceless friendship with Discord, a position of power in Equestria, something she was never even aiming for.

They walked in silence a bit more.

“...Professor Fluttershy? I was wondering if you could help me settle something.”

“What’s that?”

“Well, my friends and I have this little wager going on,” she said. “I think you’re dating Professor Dash, Orcelleus thinks you’re really long lost sisters, Silverstream thinks you’re already married, and Gallus thinks you’re both in denial. Who wins?”

“...What?”

“Well, you two are always nuzzling each, and Silverstream said she saw you cuddled up together on a cloud when she was flying...”

“We’re just good friends!”

“All, so Gallus was right. You’re in denial.”

“No! That’s not what I...”

“Look!”

Fluttershy stopped and looked. She saw what Smolder meant. They had come to a turn in the tunnel, and past this turn, there was a faint glow.

“Light! Which either means an exit or some sentient creature. Hopefully they’ll be friendly.” Smolder started to pick up speed.

“Don’t just rush in,” Fluttershy said, but she was picking up speed too. As they got closer, it was becoming clear that the light was coming from around another corner. As they neared, they slowed down. Taking some time to compose themselves, they turned the corner.

The tunnel went on for a few more feet, but quickly opened up into a cavern. The cavern looked rather plain, but it was lined on every wall with red lanterns, illuminating the caves with a dim light.

Fluttershy tilted her head. She had seen these before somewhere, but where?

“Hey, look!” Smolder said. “These look like little carts, and there are harnesses on them. You think these are owned by ponies?”

Fluttershy saw them, and in an instant her blood ran cold.

“Smolder, we have to get out of here!”

Now Smolder looked scared. “What? Why?”

“These caves, they belong to...”

At that point, a shrill alarm rang through the cavern, drowning out Fluttershy’s words. The sounds of a dozen feet stomping on the ground alerted them that they weren’t alone. The lanterns shook in place as the shrieks and sounds of claws against rocks echoed in their ears. Fluttershy didn’t know what on earth those noises were but they sounded scary and that was enough for her to start running with Smolder right behind her.

They pushed past the carts and barrels of water until something smashed threw one entranced that was boarded up and roared. Fluttershy yelped while Smolder cried out, “A Behir?!”

The Behir was long serpent like creature that reminded Fluttershy of a dragon but much longer like Discord and blue as sapphires. It had big pointy scales, four sharp razor claws it used for its feet, and thing pointy tail that was looked strong enough to spear flesh. That was all of course nothing compared to it’s green scaled eyes and big sharp teeth.

Without saying anything, the two ran just as it came down upon them, their wings soon kicking into high gear. Fluttershy and Smolder both flew faster upon turning around and seeing more of the terrifying blue creatures following them. Without knowing where they were going, the duo turned at whatever turn they could, uncertain where they were going.

Passing by further into the deeper and bigger tunnels, the two saw bodies lying on the ground covered in green cloaks and fur. They weren’t moving, but the strange thing was they had arrows sticking out of them. Fluttershy gulped upon thinking of the first time she and her friends met mean Diamond Dogs that kidnapped her friend Rarity and tried to take the rest of them prisoner. However, it looked like these Diamond Dogs met with some horrible fate outside of the monsters chasing after them.

“Woah, what happened here? A battle?!” Smolder shouted as she looked past a Diamond Dog with two arrows in its chest.

“All the more reason to flee!” Fluttershy shouted, keeping her eyes forward.

The path then started to veer in two directions. One went forward while the other turned left. However, before they could decide, a Behir managed to dive from the left path and knock the two down, sending them crashing into the wall nearby. Smolder groaned as she rose her head only to gasp at a set of jaws coming towards her. With quick thinking, she let out a breath of flame which forced the shrieking monster to thrash in pain with its face burned. It’s large tail started to whack around the area, even managing to knock Smolder to the other side.

It’s thrashing eventually lead to the area rumbling more as dirt and rocks began to fall. Fluttershy, slowly getting up saw what was happening and was about to run until she saw cracks right above Smolder who was trying to steady herself. Without even thinking, Fluttershy dived forward and pushed Smolder out of the way just as the ceiling collapsed upon her. She felt a sharp pain on her head and back before everything went dark.

***
“Professor!”

Smolder was in a state of shock. Fluttershy was laying on the ground, blood turning her pink mane a deep read. Smolder never considered herself a squeamish dragon, but she felt sick.

But any thoughts on doing anything else were forgotten when the Behir let out another roar. Any act of mourning was going to have to wait. Without thinking, her body moved, carrying her along the tunnels.

She flew faster and faster, hoping to find an exit. What she found instead was a stone wall that she slammed into. She felt pain as she fell to the ground. The world was spinning around her. She had to get it together. She heard the Behir coming closer.

She thought back to Professor Fluttershy’s lectures. She was always talking about animals, she had to have said something about what to do when you were cornered by a beast.

”Remember class, a lot of creatures rely on movement to see things. Standing still, or ‘playing dead’ as some people might call it, can be an effective way to fool predators into leaving you alone. This is why several animals freeze when you flash light on them, it’s there natural instincts telling them to stand still.”

When Smolder had first heard this, she thought it sounded absolutely ridiculous. But right now, there wasn’t much more she could do. So she closed her eyes, held her breath, and hoped for the best.

She felt the monster coming near. Its growl, its smell, both intensified. She felt the creature breathing on her face.

The creature sniffed twice. This caused Smolder’s pulse to quicken. It was sensing by smell. Playing dead wouldn’t work!

But then it backed off. Smolder wondered what that meant. Were dragons just not appetizing to this thing? Or was he going to go after the still alive dogs, knowing that this moresal wasn’t going anywhere? Whatever the reason, it was leaving. Now was the chance to slip away.

And then she sneezed.

The Behir stopped. She could hear it turning around. Things were starting to look bad in the staying alive department.

And then suddenly the creature let out a roar of pain. At first, Smolder didn’t comprehend what she was hearing.All she knew was that the monster was making a noise and that caused her to press against the cavern wall harden, in some vain hope that she could somehow pass through it. The creature thrashed, knocking into the walls and causing the caverns to shake, which didn’t so much to improve Smolder’s impression of fear. Then she heard the creature collapse on the ground. It was at this point that she also heard the howling. Diamond Dog howling.

Her eyes started to focus again, and she saw. The Behir was either dead, or would be soon. Several Diamond Dogs were standing over the creature, all holding spears, the tips of which were decorated with the red of things that had been inside the Behir just moments earlier. Each Dog wore a green cloak that did little to conceal their identity, but gave them all a look of uniformity. From what she could see, most wore a green vest under their cloaks, though she noticed some differences.

After finishing their hown of victory, they all turned their eyes on Smolder. Now the dragon was feeling nervous. Fluttershy had been afraid of these creatures.

One of the Dogs stepped forward. He was a tall one with not much girth, but Smolder could tell he was powerful.

“Outsider... a dragon, if I’m not mistaken,” he said.

“Um... that’s correct...” She thought about apologizing for intruding and assuring that she was just passing through, but before she could get the chance, the Dog spoke again.

“We must insist you come with us,” he said. “It is customary to make sure any... unexpected visitors are not stealing our jewels.”

She tensed. Was this a trap? But none of the dogs seemed to be threatening her. None had pointed their spears or were looking at her with outright hostility. This truly seemed to be routine.

“Alright.”

She started to step forward, tentatively at first, but when none of the dogs reacted with hostility she made more normal steps.

“Is anyone with you?” the lead Dog asked.

“Yes. My teach...” Then it came flooding back. Fluttershy...

The lead Dog looked at Smolder, seeing the tears. Then he looked at the fallen beast before looking back at her. His features had softened as he began to understand. “I see...”

Smolder let herself be led away by the commanding yet sympathetic Dogs. She was amazed that she managed not to cry.

***

Fluttershy lay motionless on the ground as a number of figures opposed her. Had she been awake she would have been terrified. After all, these were the Diamond Digs, the creatures that had antagonized Rarity, Trixie, and Rainbow Dash.

However, these were quite different from the ones her friends had met. They all wore blue cloaks, signifying an allegiance to an unknown group. They all gathered around the fallen Pegasus.

“A pony? I didn’t think they came this far out,” one of them said.

“Maybe she’s one of those ponies that the dragons have started talking to. Right from Canterlot”

“You mean was,” a third Dog said. “I don’t think she’s...”

At that moment, Fluttershy’s body moved, and after a few moments she coughed, expelling dust out of her mouth.

“It’s alive! I didn’t think a pony could survive that!” the third Dog said.

“I say we just leave it,” the first Dog said. “She could be a thief!”

“Or it could be like I said: she’s a pony here from Celestia’s court,” the second Dog said. “If she dies, we could be blamed. No, we’ll take her back to our base and treat her. If necessary, we can call parle long enough to resolve this.”

He instructed the biggest Dog to pick the pony up, then led his troops down the caverns.
***

The lead Dog, Smolder had learned, was named Constable Wolf. This ended up being the only name the managed to retain. The Dogs led her until eventually they came to a large cart that she was escorted into. Everyone but the four biggest Dogs entered with her. Those that remained hitched themselves up and began pulling.

She didn’t pay much attention to what the dogs discussed on the way back. She caught little snippets of suspicion, but she was mostly lost in thought.

Fluttershy was dead. She had seen her body, unmoving. She had heard how horrible seeing death could be, but she couldn’t quite wrap her head around how bad until she had seen it firsthand.

She thought of Garble, of all dragons. He ended up earning quite a reputation in the Dragon Lands after his near victory in the Gauntlet of Fire. While he obeyed, he frequently spoke out about how they should be crushing ponies underneath their might.

And as a result, stories started going around about how he had been. Stories of him catching and killing small animals. No, not killing, that seemed to merciful. Torturing would be a more appropriate word. Stories of him catching and skinning squirrels alive when he was younger, then moving up to bigger animals. Now he kept an eye out for phoenixes, creatures he could kill several times before they would die for good.

She might have passed these all off as a rumor, but he’d brag to anyone who would listen that they were all true.

She had always rolled her eyes at this. Even as young as sher was, she understood the more someone bragged, the less they had actually accomplished. She saw it as macho posturing, picking on things that couldn’t fight back. But now all those rants had a nasty tone in her mind. She had no doubt if it hadn’t been for the two Dragon Lords in his lifetime, Garble would have killed a pony before. Torch had decreed a policy of nonaggression, his daughter a desire for diplomatic relations, and both meant he had to stay away.

If it was the dragons that ignored these edicts that ponies ran into most, it was small wonder that her kind had such a bad reputation among them. Even the ones that simply didn’t care could cause this. He remembered hearing news a few years back of a dragon that had attempted to settle in a non-authorized area that nearly blanketed Equestria in smoke. That had nearly caused havoc. Mere smoke.

She looked at her claws. Her tongue ran along her teeth. She felt the fire in the back of her throat. To a pony, she was a killing machine. She remembered that lanky pony saying that non-ponies would lead to the fall of Equestria. She was starting to wonder if he had a point.

She thought of the School of Friendship. How could she face the other teachers, letting them know she had led their friend to death? How could she faced the other students, letting them know she played a part in the death of the best teacher ever?

She wished she had listened to the Dragon Lord and picked Professor Dash, or Spike. She wished she had never been picked. She wished she was home.

She hadn’t even noticed the cart entering what the caves opened up into an underground city. Had she not been lost in her own misery, she might have been in awe at it. The buildings looked as tall as the ones in Manehatten, like someone fit the whole city inside a mountain, which might not have been far from the truth. Every building looked like it had been carved out of marble and other stones, and each had an eye for quality, very much the opposite of the crude designs that she had seen in the tunnels.

Looking up, Smolder saw the strings of lights overhead that acted as the city’s lights. One could almost mistake it for daylight with how well lit the city was.

Eventually, she was brought to a certain building, three stories tall. It looked impressive, with a statue in front of a Dog in fancy clothing in front, and carvings of other Dogs on the walls and the columns. Smolder guessed these were all important figures, though she didn’t care enough to ask.

The cart was opened, and Smolder was led out and into the building. She didn’t bother looking around, only staring at her feet and allowing the dogs to guide her. She heard the whispers about her, and guessed dragons weren’t common here.

She was brought to a small room. There was only a chair and a table that held a pitcher of water and a few books.

“Wait here,” Wolf told her. Smolder gave a small nod.

She wasn’t sure how long she waited. It all passed in a blur. She didn’t even remember downing the whole pitcher, ignoring the cup meant for it. The body had needed water, so it acted without the consent of the consciousness.

Eventually Wolf came for her. “The council is waiting for you.”

Once again, she was led through the halls by two dogs. This time they arrived at a large room. There was a bench in the front where five dogs were sitting there, each looking at her as if they were trying to solve a puzzle.

Under other circumstances Smolder might have done something like stick her tongue out or otherwise do something to mess with their minds, but at the moment she just felt numb.

She was led unto a small stand that had a seat. After a moment, the lead dog spoke. “Please state your name for the record.”

“Smolder,” she answered. “No last name, if Diamond Dogs have those.”

“Are you hear on that Journey to the First Flame your kind seems to think is so important?”

Smolder looked at the Dog, her eyes going wide with shock. The canine laugh. “Don’t look so shocked, little one. We are not ignorant to what goes on with surface dwellers. Dragons have passed over these lands several times, and some have even chatted with us a bit. I must say, you’re the first that tried to travel through our tunnels.”

Smolder calmed. Of course they would have some awareness of this. “Well, yes. Dragon Lord Ember sent me on this mission.”

The lead Dog looked at her. “Ember? Not Torch?”

“No, sir, he retired last year.”

“I see. Constable Wolf tells me you had a teacher with you. Who was this other dragon?”

Smolder felt her insides turn to ice once more, but to her relief she managed to stop herself from breaking down. “It wasn’t a dragon, sir. It was a pony named Fluttershy.”

That got a few murmurs out of the council. The lead Dog hushed them, then looked at Smolder once more. There was a hint of suspicion in that look now. “Dragon consorting with ponies? When did this start?”

“When Torch retired. There’s... a dragon that was hatched and raised by one of the Princesses of Equestria. He and the new Dragon Lord hit it off pretty well, so we were included in Equestria’s new diplomatic expansion.”

More murmurs. Smolder was starting to wonder if she shouldn’t have mentioned it, but it was too late now.

“Why were the Diamond Dogs not invited to this expansion?” The lead Dog asked again.

“I don’t know. I’m just a student at Princess Twilight’s School of Friendship. But I think that they’d let you in on it if you just asked...”

“What other races are involved in this alliance?”

“The Griffins, the Hippogriffs, the Yaks, the Changelings...”

That caused an uproar. A lot of shouting. The lead Dog had to bang his gavel to restore order. Then he looked at Smolder, looking so angry that the young dragon flinched.

“Are you saying Celestia has joined forces with Chrysalis?” he growled.

“Oh, no, Chrysalis was overthrown around the time Torch retired. King Thorax leads the Hive now.”

“Lies,” one of the other Dogs said. He then talked over his leaders attempt to silence him. “Next the dragon will be saying the Storm King has been destroyed.”

“Uh... yeah, about that...” Smolder said.

For what seemed to be hours, Smolder was required to tell the Council everything she knew about that was going on in the outside world. Finally, the subject came around to why the ponies hadn’t reached out to them. Smolder, who had been downing the pitcher brought to her, took a moment to answer.

“I told you, I don’t know,” Smolder said. “Professor Fluttershy told me that she had a bad experience with Diamond Dogs once, a group that was in Equestria. Maybe they don’t know that that group wasn’t the only one.”

As the words left her mouth, Smolder was wondering once again if she should have said them. But instead of outrage, the lead Dog only asked, “Were there names Rover, Spike, and Fido?”

“I don’t know, she only told me about it just before we got seperated.”

“I told you we should have sent soldiers after them,” another Dog said.

“Well, we need to remember why we’re here,” the lead Dog said, turning his eyes onto Smolder. “Since you brought all this news, far too outrageous to be a lie, I think we can safely assume that you aren’t working with Clan Azureclaw.”

“I don’t know who that is, I just want to continue my mission.” It was the biggest lie she had ever told. Not that she knew who Clan Azureclaw was, but the wanting to continue her mission. What she wanted to do was fly back to Povevilly and crawl into bed. And, not that she’d ever admit it, have her friends all come and console her.”

“They are the sworn enemy of us, Clan Greenrock. But not to worry, they will allow you to pass through unharmed. We do have certain agreements that they keep, for pragmatic reasons if nothing else. But the Behir are in mating season at the moment, and it will be a while before they calm. I wouldn’t recommend leaving until then. You’d be welcome to stay here as long as you cause no trouble.”

“Fine,” she said. Truthfully, she was glad. She wanted an excuse to mope a bit.

“We’ll allow you to rest for now, but we’ll be speaking again soon. Constable Wolf, take her to the holding quarters for tonight, until we can find something better.”

Wolf saluted and led her out. She didn’t argue.

***

For a few brief moments, Fluttershy wondered if she had entered Paradise. She remembered all the rocks falling on her, remembered the immense pain, and thought she had to have died. But then she heard it. The beeping of a heart monitor. She was in the hospital.

That didn’t make sense to her. They were miles from civilization. Unless... did Smolder carry her all the way back to pony territory?

She opened her eyes. She was in a hospital room, but instead of the sterile white of the Ponyville hospital, the room looked gray... like it had been carved of stone.

Then she saw it. In the chair next to her bed was a Diamond Dog.

Fluttershy was grateful, in hindsight, that she was too weak to scream. Her only previous encounter with Diamond Dogs, while short, had not been pleasant, so for a few moments she was scared.

Then the rational part of her mind took over. If this creature meant her harm, she wouldn’t have brought her here to treat her injuries...

The Dog had his face in a book, but seemed to hear Fluttershy’s movement. He looked at her, and a look of relief washed over his face. “Ah, good, you’re awake,” he said, coming closer. “I’m relieved.”

“W-who are you?” Fluttershy asked. Then she immediately wished she hadn’t. Her throat felt like it was on fire.

Seeing this, the dog lifted a pitcher off of the bedside table and poured her a cup of water. He brought it up to her lips and let her drink.

The sips were almost painful with how dry her throat was, but she ended up downing the cup anyway. When the Dog pulled the cup away. Fluttershy spoke again. “May I please have another?”

The Dog poured her another cup and let her drink. This one went down easier. When she was finished, the Dog pulled the cup away. When Fluttershy didn’t ask for a third cup, he spoke.

“My name is Rukil,” he said. “I’ve been assigned to watch over you.”

Fluttershy was feeling more at ease after the show of kindness, but still felt a little wary. “Are you a doctor?”

He shook his head. “I’m a soldier. I’ve been assigned to watch over you. You’re in protective custody.”

Fluttershy didn’t like the sound of the word custody, which she associated with arrest. Then she remembered Twilight using the term when they were deciding what to do with Starlight. It had been defined as a detainment for the individuals own safety.

“We found you in the tunnels, completely knocked out. We were worried that you were attacked by a member of Clan Greenrock.”

Fluttershy tilted her head in confusion. “I don’t know who they are. We were attacked by...” she trailed off as the pronoun in that statement sunk in. “Wait...”

She nearly leapt out of the bed. Rukil was quickly there, pushing her back down. “Easy, you’ve been injured. The doctor said not to let you move around...”

“Was there a dragon with me?”

Now it was Rukil’s turn to be confused. “A dragon? They’d be way too big to fit in the tunnels...”

“She’s only a little dragon! Barely any older than a baby! Her name is Smolder, she’s my student! Orange scales...”

“Easy, easy...” Rukil said, trying to calm her down. It worked, somewhat, as Fluttershy stopped talking and started taking a few deep breaths.”

“There was no dragon in the tunnels. I think that I would have heard about it if there was one.”

Fluttershy kept breathing, but her breaths became deeper and more ragged. Smolder... was she dead? But... she was just a little hatchling! Not even old enough to be scary yet! She was too young to...”

Fluttershy felt her vision get fuzzy. She felt Rukil guide her down, back unto the pillow. “Stay with me, please. We might not have found her, but that also means we never found a body, or any trace of one. She could still be alive.”

It took Fluttershy a moment to process that. Yes... no body. She could still be alive.

“Now... what attacked you.”

“A... a Behir.”

He nodded. “That means the Greenrocks are still honoring the rules of parley. They can still be talked to in matters such as this. We can simply call them for conference and ask if they’ve seen this dragon of yours.”

Fluttershy felt better about that, but was still left feeling afraid and worried.

“You never told me your name.”

That snapped Fluttershy out of her daze. “Oh, um... my name’s Fluttershy.”

“Fluttershy,” Rukil said. “That’s a pretty name.”

The pony in question blushed. She was never one to take compliments in stride, even in the best of times, and hearing it from a stranger was a bit much.

“Um, thank you.”

At that point, another Dog entered. He was wearing a white coat and wore glasses, and there were streaks of gray in his fur. When he saw Fluttershy awake, he grinned.

“Ah, good, your awake. Have you been speaking with Rukil here?”

“Um, yes,” Fluttershy answered.

For a few minutes, the doctor asked her a few questions that seemed trivial, like her name, her memories, and even her coat color. He held up a finger and asked Fluttershy to follow it, which she did. He held up a few colored cards and asked her to name them, which she did.

“Good... there appeared to be no brain damage, but I had to be sure. Can you tell us why you were in our tunnels?”

“A... rock snake chased us here, and a Behir attacked us next.”

“Us?” The doctor asked.

At that moment, a terrifying wave of remembrance washed over Fluttershy. “There should have been a dragon with me... very young, not even a preteen?”

The doctor shook his head sadly. “I’m sorry, the group only found you.”

“We also didn’t find any sort of body. That means that this friend of yours could still be alive,” Rukil reminded. He reached into his vest pocket and pulled out a small notepad. “If you give me a description, I can ask my superiors to put out an APB.”

Fluttershy gave her brief description. Ruki jotted it down.

“You best give it to them now. I need to put our guest here through a few more tests.”

Rukil seemed reluctant to do so, but he left the room regardless. Soon afterward, another Dog entered. It was female, at least Fluttershy assumed by the fact that this one was wearing a dress. She turned out to be a nurse.

Fluttershy was grateful Ruki had been asked to leave, because it turned out being kept unconscious in bed required certain things that were quite... messy. The doctor and nurse gave Fluttershy a cleaning, being as gentle as possible. Afterward they asked Fluttershy to try to stand and walk. She managed a few steps, though her body was feeling rather sore.

Finally she was allowed to lay back down. “You seem to be recovering nicely,” the doctor said. “You should be back on your paws... er, hooves, in just a few days.”

Fluttershy muttered a “Thank you.” She was still a bit disoriented from pain and the fact that Smolder was missing.

Rukil came back in as the doctor was telling her that she simply had to press the service button to get any sort of help from them. Rukil was carrying what looked like a few books and a newspaper underneath his arm. As he sat down, the medical personnel left.

“Good news, we've started looking for that friend of yours. I’m certain that we’ll find her before two long.”

“Oh, I hope so. She’s my student, I’m responsible for her safety.”

“Are you a teacher?”

“Oh, yes. On top of running a wildlife preserve.”

“Then what were the two of you doing all the way down here?”

Fluttershy told him the story. About Princess Twilight’s School of Friendship, about the Journey to the First Flame, about getting lost in the caves.

When Fluttershy finished, Rukil nodded. “This does sound important. I’m sure your friend is okay. Maybe once we talk to the Greenrocks, they can tell us something.”

Fluttershy was quiet for a moment. “Um... who are the Greenrocks?”

Rukil was quiet for a moment. “They are... a tribe we are at war with. It’s a complicated story. Perhaps you should rest before I tell it to you.”

Fluttershy wanted to protest, but she started feeling her fatigue again. She felt her eyes get heavy. Being reminded of her state seemed to sap the strength right out of her.

Rukil moved and adjusted her pillow, pulling the sheets up over her. “Rest up. I’ll tell you everything when you wake up.”

Fluttershy needed no second bidding. Within moments, she was asleep.