• Published 22nd Feb 2019
  • 1,195 Views, 65 Comments

Journey to the First Flame - Darth Link 22



Smolder chooses Fluttershy as her partner for a dangerous dragon custom.

  • ...
1
 65
 1,195

Chapter 1

Attending the School of Friendship was one of the best things that had ever happened to Smolder, not that she’d ever admit it. She became friends with creatures she never thought that she’d interact with, and creatures she didn’t even know existed. She got to personally interact with Dragon Lord Ember, who was on track to become the greatest Dragon Lord in recorded history. (Not that much of an accomplishment, admittedly, as Ember was the Dragon Lord who mandated history be recorded.) And she got to see ferocious creatures up close, thanks to Professor Fluttershy.

On the first day of her class, she had brought in a bear, one of the largest of the non-magical beasts, and showed how easily she had tamed it. Now, there was a lecture on manticores, and they sounded absolutely ferocious. Nothing compared to a full-grown dragon, but they sounded terrifying.

“Manticores might seem big and scary, but they can be quite docile when shown kindness and compassion.”

Smolder kept imagining the kinds of adventures Professor Fluttershy must have, to the point where she kept losing track of the lecture.

“....not to be mistaken for Chimeras, which have sentient intelligence and are historically hostile to others... never been a record of a successful conversion, and any sort of diplomatic attempts... result, they are not included among the Equal Rights Amendment Princess Twilight sent through the Senate and are not part of the budding... even powerful foes like Discord and... traditionally, Zebras have been able to tame elephants to use for work where machines...”

The lesson droned on, and even though Professor Fluttershy was her favorite professor, any class was hard to sit through.

“Now then, I have something to show you,” Professor Fluttershy said. She motioned toward the large doors at the back of the classroom. The two pony guards standing there opened up, and something was bought in. There was a large manticore being brought into the classroom. A very big one... who wasn’t being held down by anything. No cage, no chains, not even a leash. And while some students were cowering in their seats, Smolder was looking forward intently.

“I managed to become friends with this one after I pulled a thorn from his paw. The lesson you are to learn from this is that kindness should always be used, or at least considered, before moving on to forceful tactics...”

As if to demonstrate the Professor’s point, the manticore reached over and licked Fluttershy like a dog. After a bit of giggling, she went on.

“The biggest, toughest brute can become a sweetheart if you treat them kindly.” Fluttershy demonstrated by asking the manticore to roll over. The large creature did so, and Fluttershy immediately put a hoof to the creature’s underside and began scratching its belly. The manticore reacted positively, moving his back leg quickly.

“See? It’s nothing more than a big puppy! Now, this attitude has not been seen in all animals. Crocodiles and leopards are some most notable ones. Timberwolves as well, although it currently isn’t known if they are natural creatures, or the result of errant magic. Now then, I’m going to ask for one volunteer to come up and...”

At this point, the main door to the classroom opened, and a small pony came in. She was wearing a small tag around her neck that read “Office Aide”.

“Pardon me, Professor Fluttershy, but Principal Twilight wants to speak with Smolder in her office.”

Smolder blinked. What?

“Oh, yes of course. Smolder, you’re excused.”

Smolder was a bit confused. She hadn’t done anything to earn Twilight’s wrath... well, nothing recently. So why was she being called to the principal’s office? Did she find out about that cherry bomb prank? No way. I made sure not to leave a trace of evidence!

“Ooh, someone’s busted,” Gallus whispered as Smolder walked past him, smirking his beak off.

“Quiet or I’ll tell Principal Twilight about the mice prank you pulled in Professor Rarity’s class,” she hissed back which made him back down. Nodding to the Office Aide, the two exited the class and made their way down the hall.


The aide left her right outside the front door to the office of the Princess, allowing Smolder to try and come up with a quick excuse to whatever it is that she did. Her ideas turned to blaming Discord to saying she was doing a scientific experiment in the study of friendship. It wasn’t that she minded getting in trouble once in a while, but she didn’t like it interfering with her time with her friends. The weekend was coming up and they all wanted to head to Canterlot to see the capital for the first time ever. Sandbar had relatives there who agreed to let them sleepover, so everything was all set for their trip. It would really suck if she couldn’t go because of something she did. Especially if they caught me spiking the punch in the winter ball we had this year with that energy potion. That really made it a real party. Who knew Ocellus had it in her to swing on the chandelier while transformed as a giant ape?

Knocking on the front door, she was asked to come in. Entering, she was surprised to see that Principle Twilight wasn’t alone as Dragon Lord Ember stood nearby with her arms cross in waiting. Now really panicking, Smolder quickly bowed before her ruler who told her to rise almost immediately. “Um, hi. Look, if this is about something I did I wish to have a lawyer present!”

With a warm smile, Principle Twilight shook her head and pointed to a seat across her table. “Relax, Smolder. You aren’t in trouble. Dragon Lord Ember has something she wishes to tell you. Why don’t you sit down?”

Sighing in relief, Smolder obeyed and quickly sat her rump on the soft cushy chair while Dragon Lord Ember looked at her with a smile. “So, how’s the friendship learning?”

“It’s going well. You know, nothing I can’t handle,” Smolder replied with pride as she crossed her arms. “No offense, but why are you here, Dragon Lord? If I’m not in trouble, and I’m assuming none of my relatives are sick or dead, why come visit me?”

Standing tall, Dragon Lord Ember smiled before she summoned her scepter in a swirl of flames. Clashing the edge of it on the ground, Ember spoke with pride and authority in her voice as she announced, “Smolder of Clan Firebrand. It is by my decision, and the decision of the Dragon Clans, that you are to be chosen for the Lighting of The First Flame!”

Smolder’s eyes instantly widened as she felt her jaw drop. She had to rub her eyes to make sure she wasn’t dreaming, but the same scene appeared before her again and again. Her?! Chosen to be the lighter of The First Flame?! “I... I am honored!” she shouted with enthusiasm, nearly giggling at the prospect of being chosen out of thousands of Dragons to do one of the most important tasks of her people. “I didn’t even know it was time to light the First Flame! This is amazing! I’m going to be the one who lights it! I... I... wait a minute.” Smolder paused in her celebration as she looked at Ember with a tilted head. “Why me? There are plenty of stronger dragons out there. My clan isn’t that powerful compared to others. Plus, I haven’t been in the dragon lands since I came to the academy. Why was I chosen?”

“I hate to interrupt, but what is this First Flame? Is it something of historical or cultural significance to dragons?” Twilight eagerly asked as she summoned both paper and quill to write down everything.

“I’ll answer both questions,” Ember replied as she turned to Twilight. “Long ago, during the start of creation, we dragons didn’t have the ability to breath fire. We were strong, could fly, and tough as rocks, but deep inside we always felt incomplete. Like there was some deep power inside of us that we couldn’t unlock. One day, one dragon went on a journey of strength to unlock the true power. After many years, he managed to breath fire for the first time. He began to show this to other dragons who taught others in return. He was revered for his wisdom and leadership, thus becoming the first Dragon Lord of our people. Near the end of his life, he returned to the area where he first discovered fire and crafted a large beacon before breathing his last fire onto it. Every five hundred years, it goes out, so we send a dragon to rekindle it in honor of his memory.”

“It’s one of our most important events of our people,” Smolder added in. “Each dragon that manages to survive the way and light the flame always gets good luck. Some have even managed to become Dragon Lords themselves like the previous one, Lord Torch.”

“Wait, you said ‘survive the way’,” Twilight pointed out, stopping her speedy quill. “Is this journey dangerous?”

“There have been times when dragons have died from the environment or monsters around the area. We assume it happened if they don’t return in two weeks,” Ember answered. “Those are usually deemed weaklings and so another dragon is sent. I don’t think we’ve ever had to send more than one other in our history.”

“Then why would you choose Smolder to do such a dangerous task? No offense, but she’s not as big or older as other dragons,” Twilight asked, stunned by this revelation.

“The choosing is just as much political as it is important too,” Ember answered, shrugging her shoulders. “Whoever elects the chosen dragon has to show they have faith in their choice as it reflects them as well. A poor choice makes the chooser seem weak in judgment and wisdom while a good choice is the opposite.” She then glanced at Smolder. “Thus the reason I pick Smolder in the first place.”

“How am I important as a political piece?” Smolder asked, leaning back on her chair. “My family’s pretty average in terms of clan power plays.”

“Well, as you know, I’ve been trying to change the dragons from our previous lifestyle to one that can help us live with other creatures. It’s one of the reasons why I wanted you to do so well in the Friendship School thing. However, some of my more... vocally aggressive opponents are against my changes. Stating that it makes us weaker to be allying and befriending those around us. If you, a dragon who is learning friendship, could light the First Flame...”

“It would show that friendship is strong,” Smolder finished, nodding her head. “Well, regardless of if this helps or not, I still want to do it.” She got up and placed her claws on her waist with a smile. “I’m gonna light that flame so hard they’ll be able to see it in space.”

“That’s the spirit, Smolder. Bring pride to us all!” Ember stated as the two bumped fists.

“Well, I guess since this is a culture thing I can’t stand in the way with it. Even if I’m not all for you going alone,” Twilight said with a heavy sigh.

“Oh, don’t worry, Princess. Since Smolder is under the usual age she can take one companion with her on this journey to help her out,” Ember explained before turning to her subject. “I’ll need your answer on who you want by the end of the day. The rules don't say it has to be a dragon so feel free to pick whoever you want.”

Smolder grinned as one pony came to her in her head. “Actually...”


Professor Fluttershy was enjoying her break in the teacher’s lounge. She was grateful that she didn’t have the workload some of her friends have. How Rainbow Dash, Applejack, and Rarity managed to keep their old jobs was beyond her.

Sipping her tea and reading a book, she was just enjoying her time off, when the door to the teacher’s lounge opened. Fluttershy looked up from her book, expecting to see one of her friends. Instead, she nearly jumped out of her seat and hid behind it when she saw a large dragon enter.

“What was that? I saw what looked like moving butter,” she heard a female voice say.

“Fluttershy... are you in here? Dragon Lord Ember wants to speak with you.”

She froze. Dragon Lord? Meep.

“Come on, Fluttershy,” Twilight said, sounding nervous. “A delegate from a foreign country is here to see you... one that already has some pretty shaky ties with us...”

Fluttershy gulped. She couldn’t say no to that. Slowly, she came out from behind the chair. “Um, hello?”

“So, you’re Professor Fluttershy?” Ember looked doubtful.

“Yeah, that’s her,” Smolder said, coming from behind the older dragon. Seeing one of her students calmed Fluttershy down a bit.

“And you’re sure you want her? Not Spike? Or Professor Rarity? You won’t get to change it after I make it official.”

Smolder shook her head. “No, trust me, Professor Fluttershy has what it takes.”

“Very well. Congratulations, Professor Fluttershy, you have been chosen to participate in the greatest of all dragon rituals: the Lighting of the First Flame!”

“Um... what?”

“It is a great ritual that will require traveling deep into the Dragon Lands on a great and difficult journey.”

“Into the Dragon Lands? Where are the big dragons are?” Fluttershy asked.

“Yes. It is a trial that very few dragons survive. But Smolder thinks you’re up to it, and there’s no rule against picking a non-dragon helper, so you get the great honor of risking your life for the dragon’s greatest honor...”

At this point, Fluttershy hit the ground, out cold.

Ember blinked. “Are you sure about this one?”


Fluttershy regained consciousness in the nurse’s office, with Twilight sitting next to her. She breathed a sigh of relief as she sat up. “Oh, Twilight, I had the strangest dream. I dreamed that I was going to have to go after something where there were a lot of big, scary dragons around.”

“...That wasn’t a dream, Fluttershy. Smolder and Dragon Lord Ember are just taking a walk while I talk to you.”

Fluttershy’s eyes opened wide. “What? But... but... why?”

“Smolder was chosen to do this ritual. I’ll let them give you the details when they get here, but she was allowed to bring one helper along. She picked you.”

“Why?”

“...Apparently Rainbow Dash mentioned to her about the time you stood up to that dragon, way back before we even fought Discord.”

“But... didn’t you tell them I was afraid of dragons?”

“Yeah, I really didn’t want to tell the leader of the dragons that one of the professors teaching the dragon child she trusted us with was afraid of dragons. We’re already on thin ice with the dragons as it is. Ember might want to keep relationships open, but a lot of others don’t. That’s why we need this to go off without a hitch.”

“But... Dragons...”

“I tried to talk her out of it,” Twilight said. “I told her Rainbow Dash would be better. I even told her about how she managed to trick Garble, but no luck. Ember wanted her to pick Spike or Rarity... she said I couldn’t as a foreign leader, but...”

“Twilight, I can’t! Dragons...”

“Aren’t that different from ponies. That’s what we’re trying to prove here, isn’t it?”

Fluttershy looked at the ground, suddenly feeling a bit ashamed of herself. She had been terrified of dragons at a time when she should know better. Every bit of Twilight’s logic was true. She had babysat Spike several times before, she had stood up to a large red dragon blanketing Equestria’s sky with his smoke, and Smolder was one of her favorite students. And yet, she was terrified.

“A lot of the dragons still hate us,” Fluttershy reminded Twilight.

“That’s what we’re here to fix. Please, I know you’re scared, but this needs to be done.”

Fluttershy fidgeted. “I... I don’t know...”

Twilight took a deep breath. She considered pressuring her even further, but anything else would be considered emotional blackmail. “I won’t force you, Fluttershy. But I’m asking you as a friend. And Smolder is asking you as a student. So at least consider it.”

Fluttershy took a deep breath. “Okay.”

Twilight smiled. “I knew I could count on you.”

Fluttershy tried to smile, but at that point her stomach felt like it was going to roll outside her body.


Angel Bunny was annoyed. Fluttershy was going on a trip, and that meant no matter who he was left with, it was going to mean less pampering. It used to be so much better before Twilight had moved in and given his pony a backbone.

Still, he dutifully helped Fluttershy pack. Once he was finished, he watched as she slid the saddlebags on.

“I’m sorry I have to leave, Angel. I asked Rainbow Dash to look after you and the others while I’m gone. Rarity will come in and give you your weekly tail fluffing.”

Angel gave a thumbs up, but inside he was scowling. Rarity was about the closest to being a good carer, but she had a habit of making him look pretty by pony standards rather than bunny standards.

Fluttershy opened her front door and saw Smolder sitting by a rock, waiting for her. Her friends weren’t too far away, all chatting with one another. Ocelleus was occasionally sneaking glances at the dragon, looking nervous.

“Finally. Come on, Professor, we have to get going.”

“Just hold on, Smolder. It’s important that we make sure we’re properly prepared before we go on a trip.

“That sounds like something Headmaster Twilight would say.”

“Oh, well, it was her that taught us that, and it was good advice.”

“So, her obsessiveness actually comes in handy sometimes.”

“Now, Smolder, that’s not a polite thing to say!”

Smolder looked at her Professor with an arched eyebrow.

“...Even if it is a completely accurate thing to say,” Fluttershy admitted slowly. “But her attention to detail makes her a valuable member of our team, and it’s one of the things that makes her a great leader. That’s what we’re trying to teach you at our school, you can learn a lot from people with other backgrounds.”

Smolder did her best to hold back an eye roll. It was annoying hearing these flowery speeches from the ponies, even if they were completely true. “We better get going. Dragon custom says we have to leave by noon.”

Hearing this, Angel Bunny perked up. Giving a grin, he hopped back into the cottage.

This action went unseen by Fluttershy and Smolder, because at that moment Smolder’s friends approached her.

“We wanted to give you a good send off,” Sandbar said.

“And it’s so awesome that you’re getting to go on this quest!” Silverstream said.

“With the best teacher ever!” Yona said.

“Yeah, yeah,” Gallus said, looking away with a disinterested air about him. “You better get going. We can’t miss you until you leave.”

Cozy Glow stepped forward. “I wanted to bake you a cake, but then I realized it probably wouldn’t be easy to carry, so I decided to settle for making you some sandwiches instead.” The young Pegasus reached into her saddlebags and pulled out a brown paper bag.

“Aw, thanks,” Smolder said, taking the bag and putting it in her backpack.

“And don’t worry, Professor Fluttershy, I’ll handle all your paperwork while you’re gone.”

“Oh, you really don’t have to do that.”

“Oh, it’s no trouble, I’ve been helping Headmaster Twilight with paperwork for a while. I know a lot about how this school runs.”

Gallus gave a cough that sounded a bit like “suck up”. Ocellus swatted him in the chest.

“Now, that wasn’t nice, Gallus,” Fluttershy started to scold him

“Oh, it’s fine. I just want to learn everything I can about friendship. I have plans for it... big, big plans...” At that, she gave a low chuckle that started to turn into an outright laugh. Then she noticed every creature was looking at her. “Sorry, I was thinking about a good joke Professor Pinkie told me.”

“Oh, I’m sure it was funny,” Fluttershy replied with a nervous smile. She didn’t often like to think about it, but sometimes Cozy Glow had a really scary laugh for such a kind and sweet filly.

Suddenly, she felt something hit her rear legs as she looked down and saw Angel Bunny, blue in the face, with a thermometer in his mouth, a blanket around his chilly body, and an ice packet on his head. He began to whimper before sneezing and coughing, one paw over his head as he looked ready to faint.

“Aww, poor Angel. He looks so sick,” Silverstream whimpered as she bit her lip. “Poor little guy.”

“Eh, he’s probably faking it,” Gallus snided with a roll of his eyes.

Angel Bunny was indeed doing so, but he knew that his caretaker would instantly baby him (just as he deserved to be) and stay by his side. There would be no adventures if he had anything to say about it. He smirked as he saw the annoying dragon huff and cross her arms. “Well, we can’t delay any longer. He’s just gonna have to tough it out.”

“Oh, but I can’t leave poor Angel alone if he’s sick,” Fluttershy whispered, nuzzling him. “I mean, what if he gets worse?”

“Oh, I know! Why don’t we take care of him for you!” Ocellus suggested as the rest of her friends nodded in agreement, except for Gallus who just shrugged. Angel Bunny’s eyes widened as his mouth dropped so low that the thermometer fell out. It fell even further when a smile stretched on Fluttershy’s face.

“Oh, that’s a great idea! Think of this as an extra-credit assignment. Spike should still have my list of things to do to take care of Angel from last time. So just ask him for it,” Fluttershy replied before she turned to Smolder an nodded that she was ready.

“Finally, let’s hit the trail already!” Smolder shouted as she took to the air with Fluttershy behind her. She waved to her friends and shouted, “See ya guys later! Wish us luck!”

“Yona wishing!”

“Come back safe!”

“Have fun!”

“Enjoy yourselves!”

“Can I have your room if you get killed?!” Gallus shouted which earned him the glare of the others. “What? Sandbar snores.”

The others rolled their eyes before turning to Angel Bunny, no longer bothering to fake his sickness as they smiled at him. “I’ve never taken care of a pet before,” Silverstream said with a joy in her tone. “This is going to be so much fun.”

“Yeah, I mean what harm could one little bunny rabbit do?” Ocellus asked, not seeing the sinister grin on Angel’s face.

If he was going to be stuck with these losers for a few days, he might as well enjoy it. Oh, this was going to be fun alright. Fun for him.