• Published 9th Apr 2019
  • 3,468 Views, 142 Comments

I Accidentally Joined a Harem and Now a Princess is Hitting On Me - stillinbeta

  • ...
21
 142
 3,468

Chapter 7

Two ponies slipped out a side door of the palace.

Cadance explained that she used the grand entrance mostly for ceremonial purposes, and preferred to be a little more discreet most of the time.

“Everypony always wants to scrape and bow at me. It’s honestly a little off-putting.”

Coco nodded. There was clearly a lot more to being a princess than she thought. She was glad she was just a dressmaker. And harem… resident. Whatever her job title was now. She should ask Sapphire about it when she got back.

They meandered their way through the streets of the Crystal Empire. Coco hadn’t spent much time outside the castle, so she already felt pretty lost. Luckily, the castle was visible from pretty much everywhere. That meant she could get most of the way home. Maybe she’d run into somepony else on the way and end up a boiler mechanic or waitress.

As they walked along, she noticed plenty of ponies bowing, but an equal number just waved at them.

“Outside the palace, I don’t need to be in charge,” Cadance explained. “Especially when I’m on a date with such a cute mare. They’re probably all jealous of me right now.”

Coco realised that every once in a while, a pony would head towards them, then seem to notice Coco and turn away. Some of them even grinned at Coco first.

Once again, for what felt like the hundredth time this week, Coco wished she had a mane to hide behind. She attempted to shelter herself behind Cadance, but the larger mare just giggled and bumped her with her rump.

“If you keep blushing like that, ponies are gonna think we’re the same colour,” she teased.

Cadance was, it seemed, completely merciless when it came to flirting. Coco felt like she was just barely treading water, let alone holding her own. She promised herself she’d get a riposte off next time, but all she could manage was an awkward giggle

“You getting hungry, cutie?” Cadance asked, looking back over her shoulder.

Coco couldn’t get over how her mane cascaded over her withers when she did that.

“I could eat.”

The truth was she was ravenous. She’d been far too anxious to even consider eating lunch, and breakfast had been quite a while ago. She still hadn’t gotten the hang of Crystal cuisine either, so she ended up picking her way through a lot of the communal meals her living quarters provided.

“Well, I’m starving. How do you feel about hayburgers?”

“I haven’t had one since I got here. I didn’t even know they had them here.”

“I know the best greasy spoon in the Empire. Come on!”

Cadance’s courtesy for Coco’s stature apparently only lasted up until food was on the line. Coco was forced to break into a canter to keep up with the alicorn, who darted down a busy street. The crowd parted for Cadance, of course, but it didn’t pay Coco the same courtesy. She had to keep close pace with Cadance to even have hope of not getting swept away by the crowd.

Mercifully the crowds eventually thinned, at least to the point where the two of them could converse.

“Do you um, think you could slow down a little bit?” Coco panted.

Cadance turned around and grinned.

“I figured you’d want a chance to admire me from behind,” she called, not slowing down in the slightest.

“Don’t you want a turn to check me out?”

Coco retorted before she could even think. For a moment she was horrified. How could she say something so baudy, and to a Princess! She shut her eyes, bracing for whatever came next. But of course Cadance just giggled at her.

“You’re cute,” she said.

She even slowed down a little bit.

The neighbourhood they were in was getting more industrial. Coco realised she didn’t really know what kind of industries the Crystal Empire had. She saw warehouses, rail tracks, and the odd factory belching black smoke. Scruffy-looking work-ponies walked around, just starting or finishing their shifts. The whole place smelled of coal and freshly cut wood.

Rather than scoff, as she might’ve expected, the work ponies all tipped their caps at the Princess as she passed. There were no jeers or catcalls like Coco probably would’ve received in Manehatten. Cadance even managed to greet several of the ponies by name.

Privately, Coco wondered how many of the ponies here were past dalliances of Cadance’s. She hated herself for thinking that, but she couldn’t help it. How long was this going to last? Surely Cadance would grow bored of her at some point — she wasn’t the most interesting pony in the world by any stretch of the imagination. At some point, the other horseshoe would drop.

“We’re here!”

Cadance was standing in front of what amounted to a hole in the wall. A picture of a burger was painted in bright inviting colours on the sign. There couldn’t have been more than a dozen seats inside, divided between a few booths and side tables. It looked quiet, even though there were ponies all around who’d just gotten off work.

Cadance opened the door, holding it open for Coco. She walked right past a sign kindly requesting that ponies “wait to be seated” and headed for the far back corner. Instead of sitting at the unoccupied booths, Cadance walked up to the wall and knocked twice.

Coco gasped as a panel she hadn’t noticed slid back, showing off a similar looking booth inside what appeared to be a large, warmly lit closet.

Cadance smirked. “This used to be a meeting place for the resistance, back during Sombra’s reign.”

“Ponies resisted him?”

“Oh absolutely. The crystal ponies may not look it, but they’re tenacious.”

“Wow.”

“Auntie actually took a couple in as political refugees. She was always frustrated she couldn’t do more.”

Coco frowned. “Auntie?”

“Princess Celestia to you,” Cadance responded.

Right. She was on a date with royalty. In a secret room inside of a fast food restaurant. Her life certainly had taken a turn for the weird.

“I use this place for dates a lot. Most of the crystal ponies respect me and my privacy, but unfortunately we’re not immune to paparazzi.”

This did not do a lot to calm Coco’s nerves. Cadance must’ve noticed this, because she smiled and slid the door shut behind them.

“Don’t worry, nopony followed us. I’ve gotten pretty good at spotting them.”

“That’s… good.”

“Now. What are you having?”

Cadance levitated a pair of menus over from a shelf on the wall. Coco took one and scanned it.

The list was… extensive. A dozen pre-made burgers were listed, along with probably over a hundred additional toppings. There were six kinds of fries. The sheer number of combinations reminded Coco of trying to construct a dress from scratch, inside a fabric shop, without knowing how to sew. She was, to say the least, a bit overwhelmed.

“What do you recommend,” she asked quietly.

“A lot of ponies go for the Princess special.”

Coco scanned the menu. “What’s that?”

“The Princess Special is where you let me build your burger so you don’t have to worry about it. It’s very popular.”

“That sounds… nice.”

“Excellent. Are you allergic to nutmeg?”

“I don’t think so?”

“Good. This’ll be easy then.”

Cadance pushed a button on the table and a door behind them slid open. A waitpony walked in, bowed respectfully, and asked what they’d be having.

In response, Cadance unleashed a long string of words that were almost certainly all Equuish, but in an order that couldn’t possibly be. Coco caught mentions of “drag it through the garden,” “duchess style,” and “scorpion time.” For all Coco knew she might end up with a plate of dog food, or maybe a small shrub.

Her stomach grumbled, attracting a predatory grin from Cadance as she added another slew of slang that included “double frosty” and “turtle it.” Coco had a headache.

Their server left through the same door they entered, but not before lighting a small candle on the middle of the table. The room had felt a little cramped before, but somehow the single flame made it seem cozy.

But now, with nothing else to distract her, Cadance suddenly felt very, very close.

Coco coughed.

“So.” Cadance leaned over the table. “Come here often?”

“I… uh…” Coco stuttered.

Cadance studied her carefully. She leaned in closer, hooves on the table to steady herself.

“You’re cute,” she concluded.

Coco flushed. “T… thank you?”

Especially when you’re flustered.”

“Um.” Coco swallowed.

She had felt like she was on the back hoof all evening, but now, here, with nothing but a single candle and worn table between them, she was starting to feel overwhelmed. Was she supposed to flirt back? She’d managed it once, but she was pretty sure it was a fluke. Maybe it was worth trying again? It seemed to come so effortlessly to Cadance.

“I, um. I like your mane.”

She was hoping for at least a dusting of a blush, but instead Cadance simply giggled.

Swing and a miss.

“You’re not just cute,” the other mare said, very seriously. “You’re adorable.”

It was a compliment, and Coco tried to receive it as such. Unfortunately, she felt less like a date and more like a lost puppy. Puppies were adorable, but you didn’t date them. You dated ponies and ponies were were handsome, beautiful, or hot.

It took her a few moments to steel herself enough to say something.

“Cadance?”

“Yeah, cutie?”

“Why… why are we here?”

“To get burgers.”

“No. Yes, I mean, why am I here?”

“Honestly I think it’s that little bob you have going on. It’s absolutely adorable.”

There was that word again.

“I think… maybe you made a mistake.”

That got Cadance’s attention. “What do you mean, hon?”

“I don’t know who you think I am but… I’m not. I can’t flirt, I’m not witty, I’m not, um, experienced. You probably expected me to be, because you found me where you did, but that’s not who I am. And I think it might be better for both of us if I just leave.”

Coco got up, but soon realised her plan had a fatal flaw: she had absolutely no idea how to find the exit to this place. The candlelight had great ambiance, but it did a pretty terrible job of actually illuminating the place.

“Coco… wait.”

Coco turned back to the Princess.

“You’re right, I did think you were a bit more seasoned than you seem to be.” She lifted a hoof, cutting off Coco’s attempts to interrupt. BUT that doesn’t mean you need to leave. It just means I need to act a little differently.”

Coco didn’t return to her seat, but she did stop feeling for the door.

“I put on this persona of a really flirtatious mare-killer because it’s fun, and because it’s the sort of thing ponies expect from the Princess of Love. But that’s not really who I am.”

“It isn’t?”

“Nope! Most of the time I just want to stay in, read a book, and maybe do some snuggling. Shiny’s really great for that, honestly. Ace ponies are always the best cuddlers.”

“So, where does that leave me? If you don’t mind my asking.”

“It leaves you wherever you want to be. I can tone down the flirting a little and we can enjoy the rest of our evening. I meant what I said about you being cute, but I also meant it about wanting to get to know you. So what do you say? Wanna see where the evening takes us?”

Coco beamed, her first non-forced smile of the evening. “I’d like that very much.”

The waiter slid the door open at that moment, peering in on the two ponies in the little booth.

“Am I interrupting anything?” they asked, plates in hoof.

“Nothing that can’t be finished later,” Cadance said. “I’m starving.”

Coco hopped back up onto the bench, her rebellious tummy gurgling.

Their server deposited a pair of enormous burger on the table, with a gargantuan basket of fries sitting between them. Coco looked at her burger, which appeared to be about the size of her head.

“I have no idea how to eat this,” she admitted.

Cadance laughed and, by way of explanation, grabbed hers in her hooves and dove in.

Coco appreciated that she wasn’t using her magic, but it was still with great apprehension that she picked up her burger. They were wrapped in wax paper, to facilitate holding them, but she could feel the patty escaping out the back as she picked it up.

Then she took a bite, and suddenly she didn’t care about any of that anymore.

Cadance must’ve noticed the look of bliss on Coco’s face, because she put her own burger down and smiled.

“Told you they were good.”

“Can’t talk,” Coco replied. “Too busy eating.”

“Come now, slow down. We aren’t in a rush. A meal like this should be savoured.”

Coco acquiesced, mostly because she was worried she would choke. She took a hoofful of hayfries from the basket in the center and munched on them thoughtfully.

“Something on your mind?” Cadance asked.

“I was just thinking,” Coco replied. “You took me to a diner and ordered me a hamburger. No movie, no flowers, nothing fancy. Yet I think this might be the most romantic date I’ve ever been on.”

“I’m the Princess of Love,” Cadance proclaimed. “Everything I do is romantic. Though I can get you flowers next time if you want them.”

Coco smiled. “That’s okay. It’s just really nice to be here with someone who… seems like they actually care about me.”

“That’s sweet but also really sad. I can’t believe nopony else wanted to show a beautiful mare like you a nice evening.”

Coco blushed, but this kind of compliment didn’t overwhelm her. It just left butterflies in her stomach... or maybe that was the jalapeños. Either way, it was a nice feeling.

“You’re the first um, mare I’ve gone out with,” she admitted. “I thought I was only into stallions.”

“And what do you think now?”

Coco couldn’t help but smile. “I think you’re the most beautiful pony I’ve ever met.”

Cadance blushed, which delighted Coco. Finally she’d scored a direct hit on the other mare’s composure.

“You really are sweet,” Cadance whispered. “I think you’ve going to charm a lot more mares from now on.”

“What about you?” Coco asked cautiously.

“Oh, I don’t think I’m going anywhere.” She smirked predatory. “But I do like to share.”


After the enormous burger, Coco was sure she was completely stuffed, but then the sundae came out. It was a remarkable feat, not just of confectionery, but also engineering, towering precariously over its little boat. The two of them didn’t quite finish it, but they made a valiant effort. After that they both agreed that they needed to walk off the feast they’d just partaken in.

Strolling through the streets of the Empire led them to a quiet park lit by street lamps and the odd firefly. Coco sat down on the grass, and Cadance plopped down beside her. Over the course of their conversation, on Coco’s fashion career, the two of them scooted imperceptibly closer to one another. Before even realising it, they were snuggling, with Coco nestled beneath Cadance’s outstretched wing.

Cadance was so warm and so soft.

Coco sighed contently.

Could anything make this make this moment better? Well... maybe there was one thing. Cadance’s muzzle was only a few hooflengths away. She could just reach over and… but she couldn’t, could she?

“It’s okay,” Cadance whispered. “Go ahead.”

“W-what?”

“You can kiss me. In fact, I would like it very much.”

Coco started. “How did you know?”

Cadance merely giggled. “Princess of Love, remember? I’m pretty good at this stuff.”

Coco nodded and swallowed hard.

Cadance simply smiled invitingly.

“I… I’ve never done this before,” Coco finally admitted. “Kissed a mare, I mean.”

“Well, in my experience, mares are a lot like stallions. Just softer, and nicer smelling.”

“That sounds nice.”

“Why don’t you find out?”

And so Coco did. Ever so slowly, she moved her muzzle towards Cadance. At some point she closed her eyes, relying on instinct. And then…

Cadance’s lips were soft.

Coco sighed, deepening their kiss. It felt like nothing she’d ever experienced before. Certainly better than any of those boring stallions. Cadance smelled like vanilla and bubblegum, and tasted like morning dew and rose petals. It was absolutely intoxicating.

Goddesses, this felt amazing.

An involuntary whinny escaped Coco.

Cadance pulled back, causing Coco to whine in protest. When she opened her eyes, she saw Cadance smiling at her, bearing that same warm smile that had melted her heart before.

“I take it you enjoyed that,” Cadance teased.

“Very much so.”

“Would you like to do it again?”

“Yes please.”

Their lips met once more, and Coco lost herself in their embrace.