• Published 9th Apr 2019
  • 3,478 Views, 142 Comments

I Accidentally Joined a Harem and Now a Princess is Hitting On Me - stillinbeta

  • ...
21
 142
 3,478

Chapter 6

Coco stood before the door to Princess Cadance’s quarters, trying her best to remain calm. She almost succeeded in not trembling where she stood. The guards were almost professional enough to not giggle at her. She almost wasn’t completely mortified.

What was she doing in there?

Yes, she was a little bit early, but surely the Princess should’ve been out by now. She was probably going ove some important paperwork. Or maybe dealing with matters of state. Maybe something really tricky, like someone inside the castle under false pretenses, sneaking her way into the Empire’s government apparatus. Someone like that would probably get thrown into the deepest, darkest dungeon the Empire had. Something really nasty, from the days before the Princess took over. Somewhere a pony would never be heard from again.

“Hi!”

Coco jumped. “Please don’t throw me in a dungeon!”

Princess Cadance grinned. “Well, that’s not usually a first date sort of thing, but we’ll see how the night goes, won’t we?”

Coco’s face flushed. “Princess! I’m sorry, I was just… distracted.”

Also you used that line last time.

The alicorn exaggerated an eye roll. “Come now, stop calling me Princess! You managed to use Cadance before.”

“Sorry!”

“…Else I might have to show you my dungeon after all.”

Coco let out a noise somewhere between a whinny and a squeak. Cadance just winked saucily and sauntered down the hall. Coco hoped she was just imagining the slightly exaggerated tail flicks, otherwise this was going to be quite the evening.

As they made their way through the caste, Coco started to worry they were heading towards the “Dungeons” after all. She certainly couldn’t claim to know her way around the place — that’s what got her into this mess after all — but it didn’t seem like they were heading towards the entrance. For one thing, they were going against the crowd, and at this hour most ponies should’ve been headed home for the day.

At some point, the crowds petered out entirely, and Coco found herself in an area of the castle that looked distinctly like the royal quarters. Cadance’s cutie mark was everywhere, but it was joined by Shining Armor’s trademark shield and star, and even a stylised outline Flurry Heart. The few ponies that were around looked more like servants and maids than courtiers as well. Initially Coco was worried she wouldn’t be able to keep up with the taller alicorn. She needed almost two full strides to match one of Cadance’s own. But apparently Cadance was used to that, keeping her pace slow and steady, almost perfectly in step with Coco. It was a little thing, but it was one less thing to remind her that she was going on a date with royalty and the ruler of the entire province.

Also, in a roundabout way, the pony who was supposed to be her boss. That probably wouldn’t be the least bit awkward when this whole mess got sorted out. With Coco’s luck, she was probably running afoul of some nepotism or anti-corruption legislation, and she’d be expelled from the Crystal Empire. Maybe even all of Equestria. And worst of all, what if Rarity got in trouble too? What if…

“You okay, Coco?”

Cadance was looking back at her. Coco was following along close enough behind that she nearly ran snout-first into her date’s hindleg.

“Huh?” she managed.

“You’re really quiet, and your muzzle is all scrunched up. It’s admittedly adorable.”

Coco flushed.

“But I think something’s troubling you. What’s on your mind?”

“It’s… it’s fine. Sorry, Cadance.”

Cadance frowned. She’d been nothing but smiles and smirks so far, but now she was frowning. That was very not good.

“You can tell me, Coco. This is a date. It’s all about getting to know each other. I know we just met, but if something was bothering you I’d want to know.”

Getting to know each other was just the problem. But she had to say something. “It’s fine” clearly wasn’t going to cut it here. So, another half-truth it was. Hopefully she could at least avoid adding “lying to royalty” to her charges. Was that a crime? It was probably a crime.

“I guess I’m just feeling a little nervous. I mean, you are a Princess you know? It’s a bit intimidating.”

“I can see that,” Cadance said. “But isn’t that why you joined the harem in the first place? Kiss cute ponies?”

“Not… exactly.”

“Oh? Why’d you join up?”

This wasn’t going well. Coco wasn’t an actress, she couldn’t just make up a backstory on the spot. There was a part of her shouting “come clean!” but it was quickly overruled by visions of an angry Princess Celestia banishing her to the Badlands.

No, something else would have to do.

“I… was just looking for something different.”

Cadance chuckled. “Well, can’t fault you there. It’s a pretty good set up you’ve got going . How’d you even find out about us?”

One of the members found me wandering the hallway, mistook me for a recruit, and inducted me before I could get a word in edgewise.

“A friend mentioned it.”

“You have fun friends,” Cadance smirked. “You must’ve been a wild bunch.”

I mostly just talked to my boss Rarity and the racoons who lived in our back room.

“A few.”

“Lot of wild nights on the town together?”

Mostly I just stayed in my apartment and read trashy novels.

“Something like that.”

Cadance sighed. She stopped walking and turned around to face Coco.

Alarm bells went off in her head, and ancient pony instincts told her to run away as fast as possible. She started looking for an exit.

“Coco, I promise, I’m just a regular pony. I’ve got this horn now, but other than that I’m just a very tall pegasus. I spent this morning changing diapers, doing paperwork, and snuggling my husband. I don’t know what you heard that makes you so scared of me, but if this is going to be a problem, maybe we should just call it a night.”

This was a crossroads, Coco could tell. The multiple futures this moment lead to were almost palpable. Off one path lay her life back in Manehattan, pleasant but quiet, whittling away the days. Maybe she’d meet a cute stallion, settle down, and have a foal. Maybe she’d just get a cat and knit it tiny scarves. There was nothing wrong with that life, but…

Off another path was… wherever this was going. Slowly but surely, she was weaving a new life for herself. She didn’t know if she had a future with Cadance, or Sapphire, or anyone, but she knew she had a choice. Maybe in a few years she’d be waking up next to ponies she loved, cuddling and wasting away the day. Maybe she’d be miserable. But as her grandfather used to say: nothing ventured, nothing gained.

She steeled herself, then looked right at Cadance.

“I’m sorry, Cadance… Cadi. I’m not really myself tonight. I don’t know where we’re going, or really anything about going on a date. Before I came here I had a half dozen mediocre dates with mediocre colts, nothing that gives me any idea on how to woo a gorgeous mare like yourself.”

Impossibly, Cadance turned slightly pinker.

Bolstered, Coco continued. “We only met a few days ago, Cadi, but I think I really like you. I’ve got a lot going on right now, and I don’t think I’m ready to tell you a lot about my past. But if you still want to, I would be honoured to spend the evening with you.”

Cadance smiled the kind of smile that could probably melt the whole Frozen North. It certainly worked on Coco, who practically fell over.

“It would be my pleasure.”