• Published 11th Feb 2019
  • 1,395 Views, 8 Comments

Retrospect - Taialin



Every story has a beginning. Rarity and Fluttershy reminisce about theirs, starting from day one.

  • ...
2
 8
 1,395

Day One

Fluttershy hung her head low as she wandered about the Ponyville marketplace. She knew that living on her own now meant that she had to buy her own food (for herself and her animals), but why did the marketplace have to be so busy? It was even worse because it was a weekend; there were even more ponies around than usual, and that made it hard to move around freely, much less think clearly.

"Oh goodness, excuse me!" Fluttershy squeaked to the stallion in front of her. She didn't know if she was blocking his way or not. With so many ponies, it was hard to tell. Either way, she skittered out of the way and tried to continue through the thrall to find what she needed. She checked the scrap of paper in her bag that was her shopping list: there was only one item left on it: soap. She hadn't packed enough with her during her move, so she needed to buy some now to clean her home and herself.

"It was this early?"

"It really was, maybe a week or so after I moved in."

She didn't know what stalls were set up or what stores sold what. She didn't have a friend who knew Ponyville well enough (or at all) and could show her around. And she wasn't nearly brave enough to ask anypony where she could find any soap. All of that meant Fluttershy was reduced to wandering aimlessly through the marketplace, exploring all the side streets, trying to find where she could find some soap without disturbing too many ponies around.

If only Rainbow Dash was with her; she could have asked around for her and forged her own way through the crowd, and Fluttershy would have followed closely behind. It was one of the good things about Cloudsdale—she had a friend there (only friend, actually). But in Ponyville, everything was new, and everypony was a stranger. Everypony was still pleasant and nice to her, which was a welcome change, but she was still new to the town. And her home was so far away from the main village that nopony came to visit. (Well, save one: that loud pink pony who invited herself over on moving day was hard to forget.)

Fluttershy had been wandering around for at least an hour, finding nothing but the same and similar shops. How hard could it be to find soaps? Eventually, she lost track of where she had explored and what streets still sold things. (It was too scary to think about how night was falling now, and she had lost track of the way back home, too.)

It must have been sheer dumb luck that she found the soap and shampoo store on the next street she wandered down, but even then, she didn't really want to get closer to buy anything. It was a street-side vendor, yes, but it was clear the soaps that it sold were luxury, scented, designer, and probably very expensive. Certainly out of her price range.

And then there was the fact that there was already a patron there talking to the shopkeeper. And she was beautiful. While Fluttershy only saw her from the back, she could still observe her lustrous white coat. It was such a rare color—the same one as the Princess. There was nothing to hide behind in a white coat, but on this mare, it was perfect. On her rump was marked a trio of cerulean diamonds. (She didn’t look for very long, though.) Her mane was royal purple, a color even more uncommon than white fur—she couldn’t think of anypony in Cloudsdale who had either, let alone both. And she had never seen a mane done up like that—shining and curled just so. She didn't even know how that was possible. She had the perfection of the Princess, and she held herself like she was the Princess.

All that told her that this pony was terribly important and terribly intimidating. Almost certainly somepony rich and famous she didn’t recognize. Fluttershy knew the right thing to do was to leave and give the mare some privacy, but something compelled her to stay and listen. It was probably because she could buy soap here once the mare was finished. Definitely that.

"Oh, but I'm afraid those ones are so viscous on my coat. Goodness, do you know the travesty it would be if my fur was cleaned unevenly? And they leave such a film. I mean, most ponies would probably not notice, but—you don't happen to have a gentler formulation?" the customer said. And she said it in an accent so . . . posh. Regal. Nopony in Ponyville (or Cloudsdale, for that matter) ever spoke like that. She had never been to Canterlot, so she didn't know how they spoke, but the Princess was there, and even she didn't speak like that. Was she foreign? An ambassador? Maybe she wasn't even supposed to be here.

"Oh. I didn't know I made such a . . . strong impression on you, darling. I do know some Prench, but I never thought I could play the ambassador card."

"You were just so different from everypony else. I got nervous. Well, even more nervous."

Fluttershy was so blindsided by this white mare that she missed what the shopkeeper said back, if she said anything at all. She did manage to hear the mare respond again: "Ah, I see your point. Perhaps I will take a couple of again, then. The imported one. That particular floral scent is one of my favorites as well—pine and anise. You still have a full stock, though? Odd. I would have thought they would be selling quite a bit better."

Imported! Fluttershy suddenly felt even more uncomfortable. She had never bought anything imported; she didn’t have a reason to. This mare was so incredibly important that she was at the shop that sold imported soaps, and she could afford them. Several of them!

Again, Fluttershy missed part of the conversation but caught the response. "We'll see if I can't drum up some business for you, then. You really should have more sales than this, considering the wonderful product you stock. Perhaps it's the location. You are a bit out of the way, but you're the only one who does imported or organic. Even the spa doesn't have these ones!"

Fluttershy didn't need imported or spa or organic anything; she was just looking for some soap! Surely there was another shop somewhere in Ponyville that sold less high-end goods? A shop where she didn't feel so utterly out of place and could actually afford the things inside? But oh, did she have enough time to search for and find that store? She had already explored a lot of the shops in Ponyville and hadn't found anything. Maybe she missed something? She probably wouldn't have time to look again though; it would be dark then, and who knows if she would be able to find anything in the dark, much less find her way back home? But-but then she needed the soap today, and Angel would be so very upset if she came home again without—

"Ah!"

"Aaaah!" Fluttershy squealed before frantically looking for a bush or a sign to hide behind. When there was nothing around, she resorted to hiding behind her mane.

"Aaah—w-what? Why are we screaming? Are you alright?" the white mare said.

Fluttershy peeked out from behind her mane and immediately regretted her decision. Facing her, she was even prettier now. Her perfect white and unblemished complexion were complemented by her sharp features. Delicate muzzle, sapphire eyes, bright eyeshadow, and full lashes. Fluttershy didn't even know that eyelashes could be so beautiful until now.

The lashes swept down and her sapphires obscured briefly as the mare blinked. "I was just going to ask you if you wanted to shop here and if I was blocking your way."

Fluttershy hid behind her mane again. She couldn't speak. She could barely squeak. How could she when she was being addressed by the richest, most important, probably foreign pony around? She would only embarrass herself again. She looked around for somewhere to escape to; it was the safest thing to do right now. But she frantically reminded herself that doing that would probably get her even more lost, which was certainly not very safe. She didn't think of Ponyville as dangerous town, but then again, she had never been out this—

"Apologies for snooping through your things, but your shopping list fell out of your saddlebags, and it seems like you do need soap. Maybe some shampoo, too, to tend to that lovely mane of yours."

Maybe she should ask? Ask how she could get back to Main and Maple? That was where she entered Ponyville, and she knew she could probably find her way back from there. But to her? No-no-no, she couldn’t possibly do that! This was one of those mares other ponies would wait in line just to catch a glimpse of! Asking the most perfect, gorgeous, beautiful pony in the world for simple directions seemed almost offensive and utterly terrifying!

"Goodness! You're too kind!"

But if she ran, things would just be worse! She would probably get even more lost and never get back home, and then what would this mare think? About the pony who couldn't answer a single question about what she was shopping for and what she was doing here? About the pony who bolts away whenever anypony even comes near her? About the pony who can only get along with birds and bugs?

"I said, do you want to shop here?"

This pony was certainly important and was probably good at convincing other ponies. She might start rumors about her and make her an outcast, and things would just be like Cloudsdale all over again! That was part of why she moved to Ponyville in the first place! To get closer to the ground to meet other animal friends, and to get a fresh start!

"Ugh, what a bother. This is hopeless. I can't get a single word out of—Forsythia! Can you do me a favor?"

It was horrible; it was so, so horrible. She was ruining everything all over again! This mare would definitely gossip about the mute, cowering yellow thing she met tonight now. And she knew she wouldn’t be able to speak a word to dispel any of those myths she was sure would spread, even if they weren’t true. And even if Rainbow Dash did move to Ponyville, she couldn't save her from a town that hated her as much as it already did.

Stupid, stupid Fluttershy. She could feel a pair of tears rolling down her cheeks. If only she were braver. If only she could have taken Rainbow Dash's advice for once and not be such a pushover. It wasn't even anypony being mean this time. It was just a pony so beautiful and powerful that she paralyzed her. It was just like if it were the Princess herself. Worse.

It was bad when Fluttershy froze up when she met somepony she didn't recognize. It got worse when they asked her for things. And apparently, it was debilitating when they were so pretty and important. She had never had it this bad before. Oh, if only Rainbow Dash were here to help her.

"I know this occurred so many years ago that I barely remember it, but I still want to apologize for not waiting for you. I had so little patience back then for the ones who couldn't keep up with me . . ."

"It's okay. I forgive you. And I was offering about as much company as a rock does to Tank, anyway. You were right to walk away from me."

"Don't say that, darling; don't ever say that."

Fluttershy didn't know how long it was that she stayed cowered on the ground, but she knew the mare had long since left, what with her last words and the hoofsteps she heard. Eventually, after who-knows-how-long, she gathered the courage to peek out through her mane and look around.

Of course, the mare was gone. And it was dark, and she was alone. Exactly the situation she tried so hard not to get herself into. Her fear redoubled. There was one light around—that of the soap shop. It was so late that every other shop was probably closed. Did this one just have late hours? But no, it was a luxury shop, and she knew those ones tended to close early. Whatever the case, Fluttershy found herself back on her hooves, walking towards the shop.

She didn't know why she was going towards it when she previously didn't want to get close. She couldn't talk to the shopkeeper like the pretty white mare had, and she knew she couldn't buy anything there with the meager bits she had brought with her. She needed to run away and find her way home. Maybe it was because she was terrified of wandering around in the dark; maybe it was the light from the shop that made the darkness less scary; maybe it was courtesy of the shopkeeper keeping her shop open if it wasn't supposed to be. But whatever was the reason, Fluttershy found herself under the awning of the luxury soap and shampoo shop, still without a plan on what to do or say.

Luckily, Fluttershy didn't have to say anything. When she approached, the shopkeeper flashed her a quick smile and said, "You were looking for soaps, right?"

With no other sane response she could give, Fluttershy stiffly nodded "yes."

The shopkeeper turned around and put her hoof on various bars and bottles, each one fancier and probably more expensive than the last. She settled on a large stack of bars directly behind her; it looked like the same stack of imported soaps the white mare was talking about. She took a bar off the top of the stack and put it on the counter before them. It was decorated with floral designs and engraved with script in a language she couldn't read.

What could she possibly do? Maybe it was a nice soap and maybe it was the one the white mare was recommending, but she didn't want to buy one. She didn’t know if she could. "I can't . . . I can't buy that," Fluttershy whispered inaudibly, the first words she had said in hours. She didn't know what the price was, but it was certainly too high for her. It seemed like an affront to even ask.

"What was that? I can't hear you."

Fluttershy squeaked and tried again. "I'm sorry . . . It's too expensive. I can't buy that," Fluttershy repeated, trembling, barely louder than mouse in winter. She didn't know what she was still doing here, wasting somepony else’s time in front of a shop that probably should have already closed long ago, unable to buy anything. Fluttershy prepared to bolt out of—

"Expensive? Is that what you said? Don't worry about that; Rarity covered for you."

She froze in place and looked back at the shopkeeper warily, hearing an unfamiliar name that simultaneously seemed so fitting. "R-Rarity? Is she the w-white—"

"Mhm." She shopkeeper cocked her head and gave Fluttershy another smile. "She's a regular at my shop, so she's always around to see what new brands have come in. Always looking for the newest soaps and scrubs, you see. She gave me a sizable tip on her own purchases and said it should cover most anything you might happen to want from me."

"Wha-wha . . . ?" Fluttershy's mouth was agape as she tried to comprehend what the shopkeeper was telling her. This mare, this Rarity, who seemed to be such an important pony and whom she had never met before and couldn't speak a word to . . . was paying for her? Nopony had ever done anything like that for her. She didn't make a good first impression at all; this Rarity had to hate her after she was so rude and awkward to her. Nopony could ever be kind to her after something like that. And even if she was able to speak to her, who was she to give a total stranger a blank check?

"I still . . . I still can't believe that you paid for me. You didn't know me at all; that was the first time you even saw me."

"But I could tell how distressed you were and that your shopping trip wasn't finished. I put the pieces together. Yes, I was frustrated, but a little frustration never stopped me from offering help to somepony in need. Don't think that you aren't deserving just because you were frightened one time."

"You didn't seem to know Rarity, so you must be new here," the shopkeeper continued. "Rarity's a pretty big entrepreneur in Ponyville, and she'll do things like this from time to time. Don't me why, but it's kind of what she does, what she's known for."

Gradually, Fluttershy closed her mouth. How unlikely was it that she had just run into the biggest philanthropist of Ponyville? She didn't deserve anything like this. Surely there was some other pony who was more, well, worthy? Fluttershy felt so guilty about it, guilty that this mare was willing to pay for her—had already paid for her.

Rarity was gone. Fluttershy couldn't go and talk with her again even if she wanted to. In a way, she did want to, if only to talk to her and try to have her take back the bits she essentially gave to some nopony. (If the thought of talking to her wasn't so scary.) But all she was left with now was an endowment from a pony she didn't know and a shopkeeper willing to give her what she needed for free.

"Hold on there; let me wrap that for you," the shopkeeper said as she took the bar of soap back briefly to wrap it in wax paper and put it in a nice bag before returning the whole package to the counter. "I'm closing up shop soon, but before I do, you wouldn't happen to need any else, like shampoo? Your mane really is quite nice, and I imagine that some care has to go in maintaining it."

Fluttershy squeaked and hid behind her "quite nice" mane. She didn't even ask, and now the soap was hers, all wrapped and bagged? It was all still too much to take at once. She couldn't refuse the gift in front of her, but she couldn't possibly take further advantage of it; she felt guilty enough that Rarity was paying for her this far. "No-no, I'm—thank you!" Fluttershy squeaked quickly before taking the bag.

But as Fluttershy turned to leave, she froze. Once again, she was struck by just how dark it was and how this shop was the only light around. She had to leave, but she still had no idea where to leave to. In everything that had happened, she forgot that she was still lost. At night.

She turned back around. The shopkeeper was still there, no packing up her goods and reeling in the awning. Yes, she managed an expensive shop, and yes, she was almost as intimidating as this Rarity was, but she had already managed to talk with her once. Surely she could do it again? (It was do that or stay quiet and be lost somewhere in an unknown place until morning.)

Fluttershy puttered for a few moments, debating with herself whether there was some other way to go about this. But just before the shopkeeper was about the pull the cord to extinguish her shop light, Fluttershy spoke up. "Wait! Um, I'm sorry, but . . . do you know the way to M-Main and Maple?"

The shopkeeper turned around, and as Fluttershy finished, her eyes softened. "You're not far, actually. The intersection's right down there," she said as she pointed down a dirt side street. "Just head down that direction, and you'll see a marble bridge over a river. That bridge is on Main, and the road that meets it is Maple. You can't miss it."

"Th-thank you again!" Fluttershy said before skittering off into the night like the frightened critter she was, but at least she knew where she was going now. As she went down the street and saw the bridge, the same bridge the shopkeeper was referring to and the same bridge she crossed to get into Ponyville, her heart slowed just a little bit.

"Wouldn't I have chosen a better way for us to meet for the first time; that's hardly a proper introduction. And I certainly didn't make the best first impression on you."

"I think it was okay. That one meeting was all I needed to know that I wanted to see you again. I went out a couple days later to try and find you and thank you for buying the soap for me . . .



Fluttershy was out and about the town again, though she chose to go out much earlier in the day to make sure she wouldn't get caught out in the dark in case she got lost again. She did manage to get home safely, but that was a very scary night.

In truth, she wasn't quite sure what she was doing in town. Yes, she knew she wanted to find this Rarity again and thank her for her wonderful gift, but she was searching blind; she didn't know anything about Rarity other than what she looked like. (Then again, it was hard to forget that.) And even if she found her, what then? Fluttershy was almost certain she wouldn't have the courage to utter a word. Talking to regular ponies was hard enough, and Rarity was definitely not regular. And what would happen after she gave her thanks? What did she hope would happen?

Courtesy, Fluttershy told herself. Common courtesy. Rarity did her a favor, and Fluttershy had to at least thank her for that—it was the right thing to do.

So she wandered around the town (again), trying to catch a glimpse of that beautiful mare again. If she could even find her. And she was probably very busy anyway. Why would she set aside time to talk to somepony she didn't know and had only met once? She had better things to do than to tolerate this mute, yellow filly again, right?

"I never meant to come across as so intimidating. 'Tolerate'? I never thought of you like that, even when we didn't know each other well."

"I . . . Thank you. But I thought you were famous or a foreign celebrity I hadn't heard of. What would you do if you were famous, and somepony you barely remember just barged in and wanted to talk to you about something unimportant?"

"Then I would make time for that passionate and dedicated fan who ventured all the way into town just to thank me for a days-old favor."

She still didn't know the town very well, so Fluttershy found herself absentmindedly going down the same streets she did several days ago. Miraculously, she managed to find the same luxury soap and shampoo store (even though she didn't remember how she found it the first time). Like before, she stayed at a distance.

Rarity wasn't there this time. Instead, it was another patron she didn't recognize and the same shopkeeper from before. Fluttershy briefly considered asking the shopkeeper if she knew where Rarity was, but she didn't want to bother her again, nor did she want to come across as weird(er). How many ponies asked around just so they could find somepony else? Certainly, Fluttershy would be scared if anypony was doing that with her. So she turned around and walked away.

Was that the only plan she had? Wander around aimlessly, check the places she went to before, and hope she just stumbled into the same mare she met from a few days go? She could walk around all day and never run into her. What if she stayed at home? Who knew if she was even in town today? She could easily have business in other towns of Equestria.

Fluttershy sighed and sat down on a bench on the side of the road. What a stupid, poorly thought out plan. She couldn't even thank a pony the right way. Maybe if she asked where Rarity lived, she could leave a note? But what if they didn't know where she lived, and what kind of pony would give out addresses to anypony who asked, much less Rarity's? She would be scared of that pony, too.

Fluttershy sighed again and looked around. She was in a park in one of the busier areas in Ponyville. There were several buildings and abodes across the street, but the most unique among them was the enormous hollowed tree that she recognized as the Ponyville Library. Ponies walked up and down the street, but few of them went in.

"—but a reference book. I'm not familiar with Neighponese couture yet."

Her ears perked up. It was a faint voice that could belong to anypony, but she recognized that accent, even if she only heard it once. Nopony else she ever knew talked like that.

"I'll study up on it and see what I can make. This culture is not my normal fare, but perhaps it may light my spark of inspiration!"

The door to the library opened, and it—

Fluttershy squeaked, jumped off her bench, and hid behind it, peering through the slats on the backrest. It was her. It was Rarity. And she looked just as angelic as she did that night.

"I have a question for you, darling."

"Yes?"

"Did you know you were gay at this point? Were you interested in me even from the very beginning?"

"N-not really 'interested,' just . . . 'fawning,' I guess. I knew I liked mares, but I didn't look at you like that. More like the . . . the celebrity you have a crush on but that you never act on because they're so far above you and there's no point in even entertaining the possibility. Even when we were friends, I felt like that. You had so much more coming for you. I knew I could never say anything because . . . b-because—"

"Hush. It's all over now."

What was she doing, hiding behind a bench? Even though Fluttershy knew she wanted to talk to her, and even though that was the entire reason she went into town today, she couldn't control her baser instincts to protect herself when she saw something frightening. She couldn't imagine Rarity to be the mean type, but she didn't know what else she could do. The unknown was always scary. And just the fact that she was so beautiful somehow made her even scarier.

Fluttershy didn't move as Rarity confidently strode out of the library and down the street, chin high. Once she was about a block away, Fluttershy felt comfortable enough to sneak out from behind the bench and follow her. From very far away.

Now what was she doing, following a pony from behind like this? All she wanted to do was talk to her! Surely Rarity didn't appreciate somepony following her like this. She wouldn't. And besides, she already had a script planned out for what she wanted to say: 'Hi, I just wanted to thank you for buying those soaps for me. They're really nice, and I really appreciate them. Is there anything I can do in return?'

Yet, here she was, following Rarity from such a distance away that she probably couldn't see her even if she did turn around. She was following because she wanted to . . . wait for a good opportunity. Yes, a good opportunity for when Rarity was stopped and wasn't busy and nopony else was around so that she could come closer and (try to) talk to her. She just needed to wait for the right moment. In the meantime, she followed, observing Rarity as she talked to other ponies, stopped at shops, bought things, made side trips, and was generally occupied with anypony and everything. As soon as she finished at a shop or talking to somepony, there was something else that needed her attention. Either that, or it was too crowded for Fluttershy to get her turn.

Of course Rarity was busy. Of course she wouldn't have a spare moment to talk to her. Why didn't she think about that sooner? Rarity was important and she had important things to do. Fluttershy couldn't possibly interrupt her with her own insignificant needs.

Eventually, though, the crowds and noise lulled. Rarity walked out of the busier parts of Ponyville and towards an odd building in the distance. Fluttershy had seen it before: a round periwinkle structure that almost looked like a pagoda with ponnequins circling it on the second floor. She didn't think anything was in there—she didn't even really know what is was. But it had windows and a door, and if Rarity was walking towards it . . .

Fluttershy was running out of time. Once Rarity went inside, she might not have another chance to talk with her again today. And she probably wouldn't be able to find her again, either. And this was the best it was ever going to get. Rarity didn't have anything else to take her attention, and there was nopony around to listen in. She had to do it now. Now or never again. So Fluttershy took a deep breath, held it, and quickened her pace.

"You've always been a little bit shy, but I didn't know it was that bad. You really used to follow ponies around like this?"

"I . . . I still do, a little bit. I'm not brave enough to just walk up to somepony I don't know and just start talking so easily. I need some time to . . . to go over what I'm going to say, but I try not to let anypony see me do that. It's embarrassing, and it's not nice at all. Nopony else has this problem."

About a buckball's throw from the pagoda-thing, Fluttershy caught up to Rarity and trailed her by a single pony length, simultaneously hoping and not hoping that Rarity would notice. When she didn't, Fluttershy gathered her courage and called out, "Excuse me!"

No response.

She tried again, this time loud as she could. "Excuse me! Um, R-Rarity?"

Rarity perked her ears up and glanced behind her before turning around. She gave Fluttershy a world-ending smile. "Hello there."

There she was, just as stunning as she remembered. And there Fluttershy was, literally speechless and paralyzed again. She knew what Rarity looked like now, but that didn't mean she was any less capable of stealing all of her courage like before. She once had a plan, a script of what she wanted to say, but she couldn't remember a word of it now.

Rarity's brow furrowed for a moment. "Hmm. Have I seen you before? I think I remember you from somewhere . . ." Her eyes brightened as she found what she was looking for. "Ah! You're that lady I met at Forsythia's Fragrances, yes? I hope you found everything you were looking for. I went back to her shop the next day to see if you got anything, and she said you left with a Prench-imported soap." She closed her eyes and threw back her mane as it reflected hundreds of sparkles. She laughed. "You have good taste; that was my selection!"

She remembered her? And she went back to check if she bought anything? It was kind enough for Rarity to pay for her, but this . . . Rarity didn't even know her. What kind of pony would do those things? After a few seconds of half-starts and squeaks, Fluttershy managed to break her neck out of paralysis and nod her head up and down like a broken toy. Eventually she got her throat unlocked too. Halfway. "Tha-tha-th-thank—"

"Mm? I can't hear you, dear."

"Th-th-th . . ." She couldn't say it.

"Again? For Celestia's sake, speak up! It's not that hard."

She couldn't say it. She couldn't say it. She couldn't say it . . .

A sigh.

No-no-no-no-no, she needed to say it, for Celestia's sake! For her sake. For her future in Ponyville's sake. Rarity was right; it wasn't that hard. There was no reason it had to be that hard! She herself made it that hard. Fluttershy screwed her eyes shut, brought her head down, and squealed, "Thank-you-for-buying-it-for-me!"

"Ah, at last, the lady speaks! Please, it was nothing. I just wanted to ascertain that you would be going home that evening with everything you needed. If I recall correctly, it was quite late when I saw you. There's a stall farther north that sells soaps as well, but it had closed a few hours ago."

"I-it was very nice. I . . ." Fluttershy brought her head up for a moment before dropping it back down. She knew it was very rude, but she just found it much easier to speak without looking at her. Maybe she was pretending Rarity was a normal pony. "I-I like it a lot. Is there anything I can do t-to . . ." Fluttershy trailed off, realizing she didn't know what she could do. She had brought some bits with her, but while she still didn't know how much the soap cost, she was fairly sure she didn't have enough.

"Don't give it another thought; it's just money. If I eased your anxiety, and you finished your shopping, that’s all I wanted, not compensation. Imagine: you, going home, needing to face the depravity of washing up without soap! What a travesty that would be!"

That was . . . different. Fluttershy had never heard Rarity (or anypony, actually) be so . . . spirited before. And about soap? She peeked upwards to find her . . . what was she doing exactly? Swooning? She was leaning back and looking upwards with a forehoof to her face as if she was in fever. Yet she was wearing this dreamy smile on her face. She didn't know what to make of that.

"Ooooh! You mean to say that my dramatics helped break you out of your shell? Maybe I should do them more often!"

"Um."

"Alright, alright. Maybe not."

Eventually, Rarity "recovered" from whatever it was she was doing and looked back to her, an easygoing grin on her face. "So I'm glad that didn't have to happen to you. It looks like you've made good use; your coat certainly does have that lustrous sheen. I just don't understand why other ponies don't consider good hygiene a top priority: a single day without washing up, and the coat is the first thing to go. It turns dull and matted, whereas a coat that's properly washed shines as brightly as heart of the one who's wearing it."

Fluttershy squeaked and half-covered her face with her hooves, trying to hide her blush. Did she . . . did she really think that? She had received praise for her appearance before, but she didn't really go out of her way to look nice. Just the usual shampoo, conditioner, and soap routine. (She certainly didn't go for imported soaps.) Sometimes her looks got her a lot of attention she didn't really want from other ponies, though (mostly from boys). But from Rarity . . . She had to be mistaken.

"Don't be that way; it's true! I can smell somepony who properly respects their personal hygiene from miles away. Sometimes literally. You'd be surprised how terribly uncommon that habit is, even among ponies who look the part—from a distance, at least. Apparently, some think that washing up just once a week is sufficient!" Rarity "hmphed" and turned her head away, a stern and unpleasant look on her face. Fluttershy was glad she wasn't looking at her with it.

Rarity dropped the expression and looked back with one eye. "Once a day, at the very least. Don't you agree?"

Fluttershy nodded, hooves still covering her face. It wasn't so much that she completely agreed with Rarity—she knew Rainbow Dash didn't wash up every day, and she probably didn't know what conditioner was—more that she was afraid of what would happen if she didn't. It was very fortunate that Rarity didn't seem to hate her thus far, and she didn't want to do anything disagreeable that might change that.

"Sorry."

"No need. You, of all ponies, know my intolerance for grime and muck—apparently from the very beginning."

"Now, a spa treatment, on the other hoof, once a week would be sufficient. More often is probably the tiniest bit excessive, but where else would I get my hooficures done? A shame nopony will join me, though—mineral soaks can be so lonely without a companion to talk to." Rarity's expression turned from proud to questioning. "But you seem like the type who would appreciate a good pampering session. You wouldn't happen to have some free time tomorrow morning, would you?" Her face turned into a cute pout.

What? Fluttershy brought down her hooves very slowly. Just moments before, Rarity was very nearly berating and abandoning her for how quiet she was, and now she was inviting her out for a spa session?

It was very kind of her to offer the invitation. The thought of a private spa trip with an alluring, popular, magnificent mare like Rarity was tempting. So, so tempting. But even so . . . With trepidation, Fluttershy summoned her voice again. "I-I'm sorry, Rarity," she whispered, forcing Rarity to lean in to hear. "I don't think I can afford a spa trip." She hated turning down an invitation because she couldn't afford it; she might eventually, but—

"Perish the thought. Don't worry yourself about that; I'll pay for you."

Fluttershy forgot her reticence for a moment; it was supplanted by dumfoundedness. "You're—wh-what? Pay for me?" How could Rarity be so rich and generous? Surely a spa trip cost more than some soap! And Rarity was willing to pay for both‽ She couldn't . . . she couldn't understand it. She didn't know many wealthy ponies, and she didn't know any who would spend their wealth like this.

"Of course!"

"Of course."

Was there a catch? There just had to be a catch. But she had just offered to repay Rarity for the soap, and she wouldn't have any of that. Was there a catch for this spa visit, though? She didn't want to ask again for fear that Rarity would be offended, and she would withdraw her invitation. Still, it didn't fail to fill her with some (more) nervousness . . .

"I . . . Of course, Rarity. I'd be happy to join you," she said, forcing out a smile she hoped looked genuine.

Rarity's return smile certainly was. "Wonderful! I've asked a few other ponies whether they'd be willing to join me, but none of them wanted to. I can't imagine why. It's settled then. I'll see you tomorrow morning, Miss . . ." Suddenly, Rarity's smile dropped, and she literally dropped on the floor in a dead faint.

"Aaah!" Fluttershy squealed as she scampered forward to examine her, panic in her eyes. Why did she faint? Was she hurt? It wasn't that hot out, but maybe—

"Oh, what a disaster!" she heard Rarity wail as she rolled onto her back, very apparently not unconscious. "All this talk of personal hygiene and spa dates, and I never thought to even ask you for your name!" She looked up at Fluttershy, her face upside-down, pouting again, a bit of moisture in her eyes. "You wouldn't be able to forgive a poor lady her abhorrent faux-pas, would you?"

Fluttershy didn't think it was foe-paw (whatever that was)—she could remember plenty of ponies who never cared to get her name in years of knowing her. That, or they never cared to get it right. So for Rarity to apologize for forgetting ask for hers on only their second meeting . . . It made her feel like she wasn't worthless.

"I-I don't mind, Rarity, really." She extended a hoof to her in way of a hoofshake and helping her off the ground. She normally found it difficult to even give other ponies her name, but somehow, this occasion found it easy. "Fluttershy," she said.

"You're never worthless, darling. This is coming full circle, isn't it? I think I can guess where this story is going next . . ."



Fluttershy actually didn't know where the Ponyville Spa was; she had never taken the time to visit it before (not that she'd even have a reason to). So while Rarity wanted her to come to the spa mid-morning, Fluttershy walked into town much earlier so she could find where exactly she was supposed to go. Her bird friends were quite good at waking her up.

She did eventually find the spa, but it still seemed too early—Fluttershy didn't want to appear too eager. So she took to walking circles around various nearby shops and establishments to bide her time. She felt a surge of relief as she finally saw Rarity slip inside—that's when she made one more circle before going inside herself.

Upon entering the spa, Fluttershy instantly felt out of place. She had never been anywhere that looked like this. Ponies working over other ponies, steam everywhere, lots of bottles and tools she didn't understand. It was all so intimidating; she would have never stayed here by herself for more than a minute or two. It was good, then, that she had somepony who certainly knew what she was doing.

Rarity was sitting on a bench near the entrance, and as she opened the door, her head perked up. "Ah, Fluttershy! I was wondering when you would make it here. I see that you appreciate the benefits of being fashionably late." Fluttershy was happy that she remembered her name—that didn't always happen—but she didn't want to be late. Maybe it was because she came in after Rarity did? She would need to come earlier next time—being late was not courteous, even if Rarity didn't seem to mind.

Rarity looked away and called out to somepony. "Lotus! My plus one is here."

A blue and pink pony responded in a vaguely Oriental accent. "Ah, yes, Miss Rarity! Right this way."

And off Rarity went, following the spa pony somewhere, Fluttershy at the end of the train. She was always less nervous when she had somepony leading. And somehow, that pony was Rarity, despite her being so rich and important. She hadn't even known her for very long. Even now, she couldn't remember how it came to be this way—only that she would try as hard as she could not to mess up now and offend somepony.

"Have you been to the spa before, Fluttershy?" Rarity asked.

"Um. No," she murmured. At least the question was easy enough to answer, but was it a bad answer? Did Rarity want somepony more experienced?

"What? Such a tragedy! We'll be getting that remedied today. A mare like you deserves the service! You'll feel like a million bits afterwards, I assure you."

Fluttershy blushed at "deserving" the service. She didn't deserve anything—she wasn't even paying for it! It all reminded her how lucky she was that she had Rarity's audience and her favors. "Th-thank you for doing this for me, Rarity."

"Think nothing of it, darling; it's my responsibility to see that ladies like us get the treatment that ladies deserve."

They passed through a few rooms to arrive in one with two comfy-looking seats and a pool of somewhat milky water in front of them. Rarity sat in one of the seats, and Fluttershy sat in the other, still not sure what she was supposed to do. At that moment, two ponies entered with a cart of . . . things, some which looked sharp and scary. But Rarity merely settled into her seat and let one of the ponies take the things to her hind hooves. Fluttershy followed suit and let the other do the same. It felt . . . weird.

It didn't take Fluttershy long to realize the spa pony was filing her hooves. She had never had a hoof filing before. Having spent most of her life walking on clouds or flying (or trying to), her hooves never needed much treatment. Now that she was walking on the ground a lot more, she supposed that service was more essential (not that she planned on getting one).

"So, I can't say I know everypony in Ponyville like a certain pink pony does, but I do know most of them. And besides our run-in at Forsythia's, I don 't think I recognize you. Have I just missed you, or are you new here, darling?"

"Oh, um. I just moved in," Fluttershy said, trying not to get distracted by being called "darling" again. It was such an intimate word, "darling," like Rarity was treating her special. Like buying her things and treating her to the spa. Did she do this with everypony, or was it just for her? She certainly felt special. But that shopkeeper did say that Rarity was known for these things . . .

She didn't want to ask; that was so rude. Rarity was already being so nice to her. But hoping for what it meant behind her back when she was undoubtedly wrong, that was even ruder.

"Is something wrong? You're pursing your lips."

"No, nothing. Just . . . you're right. 'Darling' is a rather special term. But I use it with everypony, and that makes it ordinary. You are special, and I don't want to use an ordinary name for you, to lump you in with all the others."

"You can call me anything; I don't mind. I don't even have a pet name for you."

"Then let me find something unique, for you and only you. Something that encompasses your gentility, your kindness, your inner strength. My lexicon includes all matters of endearing epithets, but I still want one just for you that makes you feel as special as you are."

"Oh, have you? Well then, welcome to Ponyville, Fluttershy! I've lived here for quite a while, myself. And of all the places you could go to as an introduction to the town, I'd say the spa is a wonderful place to start." Rarity leaned back and closed her eyes. "How I've toured many spas in Canterlot, but despite its strong fashion presence, I still believe Ponyville's is the best."

Fluttershy had never been to a spa, so she didn't have anything to compare to. But Rarity said it was good, and she had to be right. She felt herself (even more) fortunate to be brought to a good spa, then. After they finished one hoof, Rarity dropped hers into the water to soak. Fluttershy mimicked.

She was supposed to continue conversation now, wasn't she? Rarity brought her to the spa so she'd have somepony to talk to—her return conversation was her small way of repaying Rarity for her favor(s). But Fluttershy was never very good at that; what was she supposed to say? What did Rarity not want her to say? A mercy, then, that Rarity didn't wait long for a response and continued talking herself.

"Ah, yes, fashion. I suppose I should start with that. I'm the most fabulous fashionista in Ponyville. Well, I'm the only fashionista in Ponyville, but that doesn't stop me from spreading my fabulosity however I can. Dresses, accessories, the occasional hoof and headwear—they're my craft. The clients I design for, the ponies I beautify—they're my life."

That seemed like a somewhat superfluous profession. Didn't ponies go unclothed most of the time? From what she saw of Cloudsdale, she could probably count the number of ponies who regularly wore things on one pony. Wardrobes were a very niche thing. She knew how to sew and knit some garments, yes, but she thought that as only a hobby.

"I think we should make a date of that. You know how impressed I am with your sewing."

Again, Fluttershy was spared needing to respond with something rude or strange because Rarity elaborated on what she worked with, what she made, what her latest project was, and what impeded her on occasion. It didn't really explain any of Fluttershy's unasked questions, but she was just glad she didn't have to talk about them. Rarity continued even as they finished soaking, the spa ponies finished their hooficures on all four of their hooves, and they moved on to another room.

This one was clearly a massage room with massage benches laid out for them. Rarity and Fluttershy each got on one, and moments later, two stallions entered, oiled their hooves, and got to work. This felt even stranger and a little bit uncomfortable. Fluttershy wasn't used to other ponies touching her, and certainly not like this—firm, and pushing in places she didn't know could be pushed. Still, she tolerated the treatment on the faith that Rarity would know what felt good. She knew her way around the spa.

"A shame then, that my sister stays in my home at least once a week at my parents' insistence. It's not that I don't love her, but she can be quite irritating. She hasn't learned the value of privacy, certainly. And for that matter, neither has my cat, the insidious thing."

Fluttershy ears perked up at that. "You have a cat?" she asked almost instinctively. Those were the first words out of her mouth other than some variant of "yes" or "uh huh" in their conversation.

Rarity looked over at Fluttershy curiously, appearing surprised at the question. "Why, yes I do! Her name is Opalescence, or Opal. A Persian cat, I believe."

"A Persian cat? 'Insidious'? They're normally quite docile creatures." Fluttershy said. Her head filled with facts and tendencies as Rarity mentioned her cat's breed, so the words spilled out quickly. She regretted them afterwards—that was why she tried not to blurt out things—and tried to amend her words. "I-if I'm not being too rude."

"You've not been able to make much progress with Opal, have you?"

"N-not really. Persian cats are normally docile, but all cats are very stubborn."

"Not at all. Opal is nothing if not insidious. She seems to like leaving hairballs on all my best garments, and she's terribly territorial at the worst of times—like when I'm working with a client, for example. And . . . apparently, that makes her an anomaly?" Rarity raised an eyebrow and offered a small smile. "You seem knowledgeable about this. Do you have an interest in cats?"

Here was definitely Fluttershy's turn to speak; Rarity asked her a direct question. "I-I-I don't know," she stammered. "I like animals—that's why I got my cutie mark—and I have lots of animal friends living in my cottage with me. I don't have any cats right now, though."

"Animals? Like pets?"

"I don't really think of them as pets. I don't keep them for very long—I just take care of them when they're hurt or sick or just want to get away from the wild for a little bit. Then I let them go." That was a new record for her: two responses she made without shaming herself into silence. It seemed like talking about animals made the words come easier to her. A little bit.

"Interesting. So what animals are with you right now?"

"Um. I have some spiders, and rats, and raccoons right now, and—" As Fluttershy looked over, she saw Rarity wrinkling her nose. No-no-no, that wasn't good. She couldn't mess up, not right now, and not in front of her! Maybe she didn't like those animals? She needed to pick cleaner ones. Cleaner, prettier ones, like her. "—and eagles, and hummingbirds, and some butterflies, too." The wrinkling abated. Fluttershy breathed a silent sigh of relief.

"That is certainly an impressive variety, darling." Rarity wrinkled her muzzle again, but it passed quickly enough. "Though I can't imagine managing that many creatures is easy for you, especially if some number of them are convalescent. Perhaps you should consider speaking with our resident veterinarian, Dr. Goodhoof, if you haven't already; she can take some animals off your hooves if you're overextended. Or vice-versa, if you're looking for extra coin. I believe tomorrow is her day off, in fact."

Fluttershy's eyes widened. Given that she was so close to the Everfree Forest and its natural resources, she could get by without much, but she was still looking for some extra bits. And Rarity had just dropped a golden business card in her lap. Maybe she could pay the doctor a visit tomorrow . . . "Th-thank you!" she said.

Rarity merely smiled and winked one of her beautiful eyes in return. She put her head face down on the massage bench.

As Fluttershy did the same, she thought about the conversation—conversation!—she had just engaged in. Maybe other ponies found it easy to talk, but the fact that she just talked to a pony as well-connected as Rarity and didn't mess it up was nothing short of incredible. She had never talked about animals before—nopony wanted to listen to her. The fact that Rarity seemed even a little bit interested in her animals and in her . . . she felt the sweetest warmth blossom in her heart.

"Sweetheart?"

"What is it?"

"Sweetheart."

"Yes, I'm listen—oh! Y-you mean . . . I . . . I think I like that one. I like it very much. If you want me to, I'll be your s-sweetheart."

The massage was much more relaxing and effective than Fluttershy anticipated. It felt weird and uncomfortable while the massage ponies were pushing on her, but the warmth and liveliness that followed changed her mind. She made a note to read up a little on the subject later. Harry had been complaining that his muscles made him twitchy.

From there, they went to indulge in all kinds of other spa services, only a quarter of which Fluttershy recognized. The sauna, kelp wraps, hot stones, exfoliation, mud masks, hooficures, horn filing (that was for Rarity), wing oiling (that was for her)—Fluttershy thought they experienced almost every service the spa offered. She was nervous about every one of them, but the professionalism of the spa ponies and the company Rarity offered made each of them tolerable, if not enjoyable. And all throughout all of them, the two of them talked.

Certainly, Rarity did most of the talking. Fluttershy preferred to listen anyway, and Rarity didn't seem to mind monologuing at times. As long as she stayed engaged and made little quips from time to time, she kept going. It wasn't very hard to do that; the fact Rarity was paying attention to her at all had her pay attention in return.

It all ended in a quiet, long mineral salts bath soak. Rarity said they could stay in the bath as long as they wanted until they were ready to leave.

"Lilac. How do you like those?" Rarity murmured.

"I think they're okay. They smell good."

"Mmm."

Rarity's eyes were closed. She was silent most of the time, aside from the occasional comment about a flower or color. While they otherwise didn't do much in the tub, Fluttershy wouldn't be the one to say she wanted to leave—that might make it seem like she didn't enjoy Rarity's company. She didn't have anything else planned for the day, anyway.

And she did enjoy Rarity's company, she really really did. It had an air of surrealness to it, actually, that a mare as high-class as Rarity would choose to spend time with somepony like her. Rarity could leave at any time—she could have left at any time, much earlier—but she didn't. Here she was, in her own company, paying for them both, just a few inches away . . .

She was beautiful beyond compare. She was generous beyond belief. And she was unbelievable beyond reality. It was so quickly that she got to know her—just a few short days. Fluttershy had never had the company of a pony like this before. And she guessed she'd never have that company again. It was almost like a dream. And dreams didn't last.

Rarity sighed, eyes still closed. "You don't know how lovely it is to have somepony to talk to. So many things I'd like to say, but so few who will lend an ear. And so far fewer who will go to the spa for a comprehensive session to listen. Something about me being too prissy for them, the louts." She opened one eye. "You don't think I'm too prissy, do you?"

"N-no." Even if she did believe so, she would never say it—how mean did a pony have to be to say that? To her?

Rarity sighed again and closed her eyes. "Thank you, darling. I don't understand ponies like that. Who say I'm hard to like for some reason, or they can't get along with me. But you . . . you're a good friend."

Fluttershy was glad Rarity's eyes were closed; she couldn't control her reaction. It wasn't that . . . that . . . wasn't a good thing—it was a very, very good thing—but she never imagined she would like her enough for that . . . any of that. And besides, Rainbow Dash had always said that if she didn't get any bolder, nopony would like her. And of course she believed her. How could anypony like somepony too timid to even say her own name without stuttering?

Ponyville was a new place: it was the place she went to get a new start, be closer to the animals she loved, and maybe make some new friends who liked her other than Rainbow Dash. But it scared her. When she moved, she was afraid all the ponies in Cloudsdale would be right about her. She was afraid she only really moved because she could get animals to like her when ponies wouldn't. But now . . .

A single drop of water and salt added itself to the pool around her.

"Oh, don't cry. Please don't cry. Sweetheart . . ."

"I j-just . . . I couldn't believe it."

"But that tear . . . Was it of happiness or sorrow? You said that back then, even back then, you—"

"Happiness. Of course I had thought of that, but I would never ask you. I never did. I was just so happy that you didn't hate me. That you didn't pretend I didn't exist. That even though I'm so broken, somepony could like me. Somepony could be my friend."

"That somepony never thought you were broken, and that somepony is still here with you now, sweetheart. She was just as happy that she found somepony patient and forgiving enough to tolerate her foibles. Her past friends were short-lived because they couldn't tolerate her for long. She didn't understand why at the time, why an aristocratic and unapproachable personality made her unlikeable. And she was lonely because of it: so many friendly ponies, but so few friends. She was just too proud to admit that to anypony, including the one who would become even more than her best friend. And that pony meant the world to her. Are you listening? Sweetheart?"

"I am. Thank you . . ."

"Shhh."

Comments ( 7 )

A beautiful flarity.

Wonderful work; great to see more from you!

One of my favorite pairings, delivered in an exquisitely detailed and intimate framing. Wonderful work.
:pinkiesmile:

Interesting framing device and a rather endearing POV from Fluttershy. Pretty good.

Cuuuuuute. :heart: Thanks for sharing!

this is adorable and kind of melancholy. This is really impressive, you are excellent writing. Thank you so much, i love this. Sorry i'm rambling but this is so good ahhhhh. Rarishy is my otp so that also helps god i love this.:heart:

That even though I'm so broken, somepony could like me.

Ouch. That hit home.

This was beautiful.
Thank you.

Login or register to comment