• Published 13th Feb 2019
  • 7,280 Views, 129 Comments

Some Mistakes Are Forever - Holy



Sunset has grown to be a better person and everyone at CHS has forgiven her for her past mistakes. After flipping through an old yearbook and finding a mistake she can't fix, can she forgive herself for a suicide she caused?

  • ...
28
 129
 7,280

5 - Distance

The last of the students poured out of the main entrance. Some of them occasionally caught a glance of Sunset sitting at the edge of the steps, but most just kept on walking. They gave their concerned smiles and quick condolences, but Sunset clenched her fists and told them thank you through gritted teeth every time. She wanted to yell, scream, draw everyone to her to ask them what their problem was, but she knew that wouldn't help.

She let out a solemn sigh and took out her phone. The words on the screen were the best she could do, but they felt so empty. She'd tossed and turned in her sheets for hours last night trying to think of the best way to tell the world, to make a post to all her friends revealing her crimes. All those long paragraphs of telling everyone who Soloman was, and how important support groups and suicide prevention was... it all just felt so distant. She gripped her phone in frustration as the new notifications popped up. All of her friends left supportive messages and heartfelt apologies for what she went through, for how much it must be weighing on her.

Sunset brought her knees up to her chest and let out a defeated groan. "Maybe Wallflower was right..." she told herself.

"About what?"

Sunset jerked upright and let out a little yelp as Wallflower nudged her with a knee from behind. "You've really gotta stop doing that."

Wallflower rolled her eyes as she sat down beside Sunset. "Not my fault you never hear me coming."

Sunset put her phone back in her pocket rest her cheek in her hand. "I guess..."

"So... I saw your post," Wallflower looked down at the concrete and played around with her hair awkwardly. "That was... well, that was really nice of you to come clean about all of it."

"Not that it matters..."

"Well, I wouldn't say that. Now everyone knows that those rumors were just made up."

Sunset let her face fall off her hand down to her knees. She let out another frustrated grunt and pulled out her phone again to turn towards Wallflower. "Just look at all these comments. 'I'm here if you want to talk about it'? 'Sorry you had to go through this'? 'You can get through this'? I spent all this time trying to make everyone see him differently and make this matter, but they all just..."

"Don't have the time of day," Wallflower said, a sigh flowing out of her mouth as well.

"Yeah..." Sunset looked Wallflower over for a moment as a twinge of guilt hit her. "Sorry... you probably already had to go through this."

Wallflower gave her a weak smile. "I still think it's nice that you'd risk telling everyone like this. Not that I needed anymore proof that you'd changed, but... it was still sweet. I think he would have appreciated it."

Sunset sat her chin back down on her knees. Wallflower's words gave her little solace, as she watched all the other students go home, talking and laughing to each other like nothing had even happened. Sunset clenched her eyes shut. She wanted to walk up to each and every one of them and ask how it didn't even matter to them.

"How does everyone just, go on living like this? Like nothing even happened?"

"It's been a long time, Sunset. Most people don't even remember him that well, if they ever even noticed him in the first place."

As the last of the kids poured out of the school, Sunset's frustration bubbled up in her stomach. "This was supposed to be a big deal! They were supposed to be mad at me!" Sunset rose to her feet and began pacing around the stairs, giving an angry glare at the concrete. "Telling the whole world this should've been a major ordeal, but instead they're just giving me generic condolences. Ugh... this isn't how it's supposed to happen."

"Real life isn't like some dramatic movie plot, Sunset."

Sunset grabbed her temples and let out an exaggerated, frustrated growl to the world. "But they should at least care a little. Everyone's walking around like nothing even happened!"

Wallflower looked up at Sunset with growing concern on her face. "What exactly do you want them to do, Sunset? The funeral was almost a year ago."

Sunset continued her pacing and shook her head. "To look sad? To acknowledge this terrible thing happened? Something other than a quick reply to my post? Everything just feels like it always did, and right now it shouldn't."

Wallflower let out a sigh and reached into her bag. What came out was a lovingly-wrapped plastic sack filled with pink, heart-shaped cookies with a little red bow tying it closed. Wallflower stood up and handed them over to Sunset. "Soloman's mom made these for you. She wanted me to ask if you were doing okay. Though, honestly? I'm kinda not sure what to tell her."

Sunset reluctantly took the cookies and let out a sad groan. They looked really delicious. If only they'd been given under some other circumstance. Sunset leaned back over to the stairs and sat back down, letting her face fall into her hands.

"So... not doing okay I'm guessing?"

Sunset let out a soft whisper. "I don't know."

"I don't get it. It's like you want everyone to hate you for some reason."

Another sigh left Sunset's lips as she let her hands fall back to her sides. "I don't want to lose any friends or anything, it's just..."

"Still feel guilty?"

"Yeah... Ever since yesterday at the grave, after everything you said..."

Wallflower cringed and had to look away for a moment. "You probably shouldn't take that to heart. Going there is... kind of an emotional experience and I wasn't thinking clearly."

Sunset pursed her lips and continued staring down at the concrete. "But I think you were right. I know it's horrible, but I kind of wish I'd never found out. I want so badly for things to go back to how they were before I knew."

Wallflower looks away. "Yeah, that is kind of horrible," she said, a twinge of irritation in her voice.

Sunset let out another sigh and let her eyes drift even further down to her boots. Wallflower just pinched the bridge of her nose as she caught another glimpse of her moping friend. "Ugh, look," she started. "I'm not really good at this stuff, alright? I'm still kind of... well, it's still a rough spot. I don't know if I've forgiven you. I don't really know if I've even forgiven myself... it's just... ugh..."

Sunset let a weak smile cross her lips. "Complicated?"

"Yeah... it's complicated," she said, doing her best to try to return the grin. "Look, I didn't mean what I said back at the graveyard. I think risking everyone hating you again with that post was enough to prove me wrong."

Sunset let her eyes fall back down again. "Maybe..."

"Maybe you should go talk to Merry again. I think she's worried about you," Wallflower said as she stood up and tugged on her backpack straps. "I'm heading over there now, if you want to come."

Sunset stood up beside her and took a deep breath. "I should probably thank her for these anyway," she said, looking down at the heart-shaped cookies in her hand.


"Oh, good afternoon, Wallflower. How was school?" Merry Shade called from inside the kitchen. Sunset felt a pit grow in her stomach at that voice. She didn't feel like she belonged there, or that she was even welcome.

"It was fine, Mrs. Shade. I brought a friend over, if that's okay."

Merry wiped her hands with a nearby towel and broke away from her position at the sink. A bright smile adorned her face as she turned to meet the girls, and it only turned brighter once she saw Sunset. "Ms. Shimmer! It's so nice to see you again. Did Wallflower bring you those cookies?"

"Yeah..." Sunset said, weakly lifting her arm up to show the unopened package.

"Oh, wonderful! I'm sorry I didn't have time to ask what your favorite might have been, but I hope you like them anyway," Merry said with a bright smile.

Sunset looked over the older woman for a moment. The bright smile and welcoming posture... it just felt so wrong. How there could still be happiness in this house at all was a mystery to Sunset, yet here she was, giving her a warm welcome like they actually were happy to see her after what she'd done. Sunset opened her mouth to ask her how she could possibly be like this, but the words got caught in her throat.

"I... I'm sure they're great, Mrs. Shade. Thank you. For making them I mean. I'll, uh... I'll try them pretty soon."

"Good, good. Be sure to tell me what you think. I'll keep you in mind for my next batch."

Sunset could only nod awkwardly at her. The kindness settled into an uneasy, uncomfortable feeling in her stomach. Sunset had to let her eyes trace down to the floor just to get some respite from it.

Wallflower cleared her throat. "Well, I think we're just going to hang out upstairs," she said, freeing Sunset from the awkward interaction.

"Sure, just let me know if Sunset wants to stay for dinner. I'll be sure to leave an extra plate out," she said with her usual cheer before making her way back to the other room.

Wallflower motioned for Sunset to follow as they made their way past the dining room, and finally up the stairs. Sunset cradled the cookies in both hands as she followed her, an overwhelming feeling that she shouldn't have these washing over her.

"Are you doing okay? I thought I was supposed to be the socially awkward one."

Sunset looked up to shoot Wallflower a quick glare as they made their way up the stairs. Wallflower winced at the sudden intensity. "Oh... sorry. I'm not really used to this."

Wallflower opened a door along the hallway and made her way inside before flopping down onto the bed. Sunset's eyes dropped back down to the cookies for just a moment before she realized where her friend just led her.

A lump formed in Sunset's throat. Her grip loosened on the package in her hand as her heart began pounding in her chest. The sensations of her body felt in the room--the cold waft of air of the ceiling fan, the sound of soft rumblings of things going on downstairs, the lemon-scented smell of the freshly cleaned hallway--they all drifted away as her eyes explored the room. She quickly closed her eyes before they could see too much. Sunset had to ground herself before all those awful feelings flooded back in.

"This is... this is his room," Sunset said, the wrapped cookies suddenly feeling a lot heavier in her trembling grip.

"Yeah... I figured you could, I dunno, feel better if you saw some of the good things in his life."

Sunset wanted to be angry. She grit her teeth and kept her eyes shut as tightly as possible, but that didn't stop her thoughts from flowing through her mind. There was no telling how many miserable moments he spent in there because of her, how many hours he spent at that computer on his desk trying forget, or how many nights he had to stay up thinking about everything he lost, everything Sunset had made him lose. Her eyes might have been closed, but Sunset could feel an apparition of her own creation moving around this room. She shouldn't have been there. It felt like an abusive spouse coming back into their victim's life to her.

"So?" Wallflower asked after what felt like an eternity of silence.

"I need to go..." Sunset said as she spun around to get the room out of her vision.

Wallflower let out an angry growl as Sunset took a step towards the doorway. "Seriously?" the sudden, intense tone pulled Sunset to a stop. Wallflower shook her head and let out a sigh, trying to rub the frustration out of her temples. "Look, if I can handle this, then so can you. Don't you want to at least get to know who he was?"

"I don't think I can do this," Sunset said, shaking her head and looking around the room frantically like a rabbit that just heard a wolf. "I don't think he'd even want me here."

"What do you even know about what he'd want?" Wallflower asked as she slipped out of his bed and stood up next to her.

Sunset blinked a few times, shifting uncomfortably in place as her brain refused to work up an answer.

"That's what I thought. Look, Sunset. I'm not an expert in this grief management stuff, alright? All I know is that when I miss him I think back to the good times we used to have. He might be gone, but at least those good things happened, you know?"

A few deep breaths calmed the anxiety somewhat, but Sunset's brain reminding her that those good times only happened in spite of her didn't seem to help. "We... we didn't have those," she said through a whisper, nervously wringing the end of her jacket with one hand.

Wallflower rubbed the back of her neck awkwardly. "I mean, sure, but maybe you could... I don't know... maybe this wasn't a good idea."

With a slow and shaky breath, Sunset closed her eyes tightly and tried to let her apprehension flow out of her. How much more damage could she really do at this point anyway? "I'll give it a shot, I guess."

She took a few tentative steps inside, wishing she could've been there under better circumstances. Her eyes flicked around the posters still hanging around the wall of bands and movies. Sunset had to swallow another pang of guilt at all the ones she enjoyed too--the thought of all the lost chances for long talks about the shared interests certainly weren't helping her keep her composure. Various pictures sat on his dresser and across a shelf above his bed; friends of his before she'd taken them away, few of him and Wallflower together, and the happy times him and his parents had shared on vacations.

Sunset got to the other side of the room, just barely, and let herself fall into the computer chair in front of the desk. Another few deep breaths kept the breakdown away for now. Wallflower looked around the room awkwardly as she sat on the bed in front of Sunset. Some things never change, at least.

"So... what did he like to do?"

"He, uh... he spent a lot of time on the computer. He wanted to be a software engineer, so he worked a lot on trying to code, he even made me an app once. It was actually pretty cool; it let me keep track of all the progress and growth with everything I planted and had tips on the best way to..." Wallflower trailed off once she looked back over to Sunset, seeing the forlorn look in her eye. "Right... we're supposed to be sad now."

Sunset rubbed her arm and stared at the carpet. "It's fine..." she said as she tried to fight back her own thoughts again. The more she learned the more it hurt. They could've been such good friends. Her mind built up a wonderful conversation of talking about their coding projects between arguing about which sub-genre of rock was the best. She couldn't help but wonder how many more people she stole that from.

"Is this helping at all?"

Sunset let out a sigh and did her best to look back towards her friend. "I... I don't know." A quick, frustrated whine left her lips as she buried her face in her hands. "I just... don't know how to get through this. I thought I'd gotten through the worst life had to throw at me, but... now this. How am I ever supposed to be better after this? I can't just forget I was the main reason he did this."

Wallflower opened her mouth and closed it a few times. "So... take that as a no?"

Sunset let out another frustrated grunt. "I'm supposed to be the strong one. I'm supposed to be the one the girls come to when they need help. They know they can rely on me no matter what, but how am I supposed to help anyone now that they know I pushed someone to this? How are they supposed to trust me? How can I even trust myself?" Sunset tightened her fists against her head, shutting her eyes as tightly as she could to keep from facing reality. Her heartbeat jumped up a gear as her mind forced her to visualize the loss of her friends' trust.

"Well, how did you do it before?"

"Huh?"

Wallflower rubbed the back of her head and looked away. "I mean, I figured you knew what happened, and it just wasn't a big deal to you. Well, before I told you anyway."

Sunset let out an empty chuckle and let some of her anxiety flow out with it. "You really aren't good at this."

"Hey, I'm trying at least."

Sunset did her best to fight through her controlling thoughts and put on a gentle smile at her friend. "I appreciate it. I don't expect you to be an expert on this, I just... I'm so lost in all of this."

"Well, I did already go through it. You're doing a lot better than I was, I guess."

With a deep breath, Sunset did her best to look from the floor up to those green eyes with some meaningful empathy. "How did you manage?"

Wallflower shifted uncomfortably on the bed for a moment, looking around at every spot but the one Sunset was sitting in. "I... well..." She let out a little grunt. "You promise you won't freak out?"

"Why would I...?" Sunset raised an eyebrow as her mind tried to catalogue all the reasons she might freak out, then her eyes went wide and her breath caught in her throat. "Tell me you didn't," she said as her heart raced in her chest again.

"Sunset, if you're going to--"

"Wallflower, please, tell me you didn't..." Sunset said, exasperation plain on her face as she stood up out of her chair.

With a quick sigh, Wallflower looked down to one of her sleeved arms. Her face portrayed plenty of apprehension as she pulled up her sleeve to reveal the mangled scar tissue underneath. The further she pulled her sweater up, the more accompanying scratches joined the one massive gash. Sunset put a hand over her mouth and took a step back at the sight. She could feel her heartbeat thunder in her chest at the possibility of another person on her conscience.

"I didn't know how to manage, alright? It felt like he was the only one who ever cared, so maybe it'd be better if we were both gone, you know?"

Sunset clenched her teeth and shut her eyes tightly as the tears she'd been holding back started pouring out again. She carefully leaned down to touch her friend's old wounds. "I almost... both of you..."

Wallflower let out frustrated grunt and yanked her arm away. "No, you didn't. This isn't your fault, Sunset."

Sunset shook her head and looked away. "How? How do you not blame me?"

Another sigh left her friend's lips. "Did you forget already? I told you at the graveyard I thought it was my fault. I couldn't live with the guilt of not being there," she said, looking down at the floor, her eyes giving Sunset a few subtle clues about all the awful memories flowing through them. "My therapist says it wasn't anyone's fault, really. He just didn't know how to deal with the all the bad things in his life. We couldn't expect to be experts at fixing it for him."

"I could've avoided causing them..." Sunset said. "If I'd just reached out sooner..." She remembered the altercation the two of them had in the graveyard, she remembered it like it had just happened a moment ago. The thought of shouldering the blame brought back the memories of Wallflower's outburst, but even with that, she still couldn't manage to let go of the guilt building up the pit in her stomach.

"Look, Sunset. I don't know how you're supposed to deal with this. I don't even know how to get past it and I've been going to a therapist for a year." Wallflower brought her scarred wrist up close to her chest, taking a deep breath before looking Sunset in the eye. "But I know how you shouldn't be dealing with it," she said, turning out her arm to reveal the marks. "It doesn't really help."

"Wallflower... I wasn't going to--"

"Maybe not, though I know where this kind of thinking goes. It's not a good place."

Sunset did her best to swallow the lump in her throat as her eyes fixated on the rough scars on her friend. "I... I couldn't do that to my friends."

"And I didn't think I could put his parents through anymore, but here we are," she said, looking to the side and shaking her head. Sunset could see the irritation plain on her face, but couldn't tell who it was really for. "They coddled me like crazy after he died. Merry would always call to check on me and ask if I was going to come over that night or not. His dad even took me to a baseball game, like I was their daughter now."

Sunset gulped again, trying to focus on her words, but really only seeing those scars.

"They treated me better than my own parents, and it was the only reason I didn't try sooner... but when the pain and the guilt got to be too much..."

It was already too much. Sunset closed her eyes and wiped away another tear. "Why didn't you try to talk to us, or me? Or anyone? I could've--"

"Don't you think I tried? Nobody even acknowledged me. Look, none of that matters anyway, alright? We can't change the past, but we can at least do our best to make sure the future doesn't suck so much," Wallflower said as she scooted closer to Sunset. "That's supposed to make things easier--at least, that's what my therapist tells me."

"Do you really believe it?"

Wallflower let out a forlorn sigh. "I don't know yet. Like I said before we left the other day, I don't think it gets better, I feel like you just get better at living with it."

Sunset looked back down to the floor, the thought of how sick, literally sick at times, with grief and guilt she'd been since she'd heard. The sleepless nights, the broken trust in herself, the constant fantasizing about trying to change the past... living with that much hurt seemed impossible. "I don't know if I can," Sunset said through a pained grimace.

Wallflower reached over and placed a comforting hand on Sunset's arm. "Just don't do anything stupid, okay? I know I'm terrible at this and all, but I can give you my therapist's number--maybe he can help."

The thought of pouring her heart out to some detached professional made Sunset's stomach churn. Maybe it would've helped, but having to pay someone to care right now seemed so uncomfortable. Her mind jumped away from the thought of being stuck in some dusty old counseling room with a man and a notepad. There was someone she knew who might be able to help. Sunset stood up with a sudden determination.

"I think I might need something else right now. I might be gone for a few days," she said as she took a step for the door.

Wallflower jumped forward and caught Sunset's wrist. "Wait! Isolating yourself isn't a smart idea either."

With a soft smile, Sunset put her hand over Wallflower's. "I'm not, I promise. I just have someone I need to talk to. I'll let you know when I get back, okay?"

Wallflower gave her a soft nod and a hopeful smile, one that Sunset knew she'd only really reveal to her friends. After all the stress and anxiety of the day, it that left a warm glow in Sunset's heart after learning what lied under her friend's sleeves. "I hope it helps. Let me know if you figure out any new magical insights."

Sunset gave her a gentle laugh before leaning back down to give her friend a tight hug. "I will. Thank you for trying to help me, Wallflower. I wish I could've done the same when you needed it."

A few popped vertebrae echoed through the room. "Yeah, well hey, at least we've... got each other now," Wallflower said through a strained wheeze.

"I'll be back soon." Sunset finally released Wallflower to grab her backpack before heading out the door. I shimmer of hope lit up inside her through the torrent of sadness. It was time to head back through portal to see an old friend.