• Published 10th Feb 2019
  • 1,180 Views, 43 Comments

The Dark Of The Night - Nobodyslament



Roseluck was a scaredy-pony. This was a well known fact, she was flighty, nervous, and loud. It's amazing how few ponies think to ask why, or what she does after dark.

  • ...
5
 43
 1,180

Recuperation

I don't know when I passed out, but the pain eventually faded into the soft darkness of unconsciousness. I write about some deep earth-shattering revelation I received while out cold. Some dream or vision that gave me answers when my own crude investigations of my entry area gave nothing. But that wasn't the case. All that slid into my mind while I fitfully slept was darkness, standing by my side like an old friend. I awoke several times, though I could only tell bits and pieces. Moving treetops muttered voices and a dark room. The puzzle of consciousness never reaffirmed itself in my mind, leaving a broken trail of thoughts to limp through my blinking mind.

I awoke suddenly, with the waking world crashing into my vision in a sudden wave of colors and sounds. I flailed about, arms swinging wildly as I sat up. I looked around quickly, noting where I was through squinting eyes. A sterile room with little decoration, a small collection of medicine and supplies in a cabinet rested in the corner, and a small table right beside me were the only pieces of equipment I could see. I shook my head, already worrying about what all this could mean. I was obviously in a hospital of some sort, which was bad. It either meant I've been in a coma and the entire ponyland debacle was a dream or... or I had been taken to a pony hospital. I began patting down my body, looking for any proof of either theory and froze. I was naked. This changed things.

My priorities rapidly shifted, forcing me to my feet. As suddenly as my left leg hit the ground I collapsed. Fire seemed to sprout from my leg, and I hissed in pain as my leg crumpled underneath my weight. I looked down at it and found the proof I was looking for. My leg was a bandaged mess, with red and white dancing over the bandages making me look like a macabre mummy. I didn't want to see that. I reached down, blocking the pain as I used my minor powers to coat my leg in darkness. The pain instantly dulled. Not to a level where I truly believed I was healed, but enough to give me the sudden idea to try standing again. I thought of all the reasons that was a horrible idea. Listing them off in order as I shuffled upwards. I kept most of my weight off my injured leg and found that standing was indeed possible.

With my mystery solved and the ability to stand fully regained, I looked over my room. There was a single door, a wardrobe looking thing, and a small table. On the table were several cards, which I reached to easily. I smiled as a short message from Roseluck was written in the first, hoping I'd get better and swearing that the guard was looking for whatever pony attacked me. I placed the note back on the table and ignored the others. I was not meant to stay in a hospital, especially not while naked. I opened the counter thing and found various medical instruments. I wanted none of that, so I moved to the two small doors underneath, moving my legs at an odd angle to keep my hurt leg straight. I was rewarded in my efforts by my backpack resting in the corner. "Jackpot." I pulled the bag free, opening it and finding my clothes neatly folded and clean.

Changing outfits is a simple ordeal, one made much more difficult with my injuries. I had to forego full pants, wearing shorts if only to minimize the amount of fabric that had to rub against my injured leg. I paused as I wrestled my boot on, voices getting my attention from outside my door. "I'm telling you, ma'am, she won't be awake yet! Spirit or no, the type of traumatic injury that happened to her leg will keep her under for another day at least!"

I smiled as Roselucks voice wafted in. "And I'm telling you that even if she is asleep I will visit my friend. I checked your policy book like you told me yesterday, and you have no authority to keep me from that room without a written missive from the highest authority in town. And Princess Twilight didn't lock Neberius up, so let me in!"

I giggled, and I will call anyone a liar that said it was cute and girly. Obviously, they underestimated me, and as such, I should prove my alertness. I cleared my throat softly, letting various songs run through my head. I let out my breath in a slow exhale, started tapping my foot, and began to sang. "I know of sin by the things mama prayed..."

I closed my eyes, letting the Hellfire of old Christian fire long ago extinguished flow through me. Do right or burn, a very classical way to deal with behavior issues. I heard a click from beside me, but I focused instead on tying my boots. It was a simple moment and one that distracted me from the still burning pain in my leg. As I finished the song I stomped my uninjured leg, ignoring the whispering voices seeming to surround me. I stood as tall as I could in my slightly tilted glory with a predatory grin. In front of me, Roseluck was smiling. The unimportant pony in a medical coat was looking at me in amazement, but I couldn't care less. "Well Hello Roseluck, I assume you're to blame for my less than satisfactory living conditions today?"

She giggled, and I had to resist the urge to run up and hug her. Once they subsided she nodded. "Of course, with the state, I found you in I could hardly leave you to your little hovel in the woods."

I rolled my eyes, donning my mask as fully as I could. "My home is no hovel. It is more extravagant than you can imagine, with lights made of stars and music made by the night itself." I winked at her. "Plus, I rarely have to hire cleaners for it."

The doctor cut her off before she could continue. "Look, Ms. Night, you need rest! I cannot allow you to traipse about when the damage to your leg is still so extensive. I mean look... at... it." His hoof was outstretched to the darkness coated limb.

I cocked my head to the side. "Cannot allow? No." I made my way to my bag, throwing it over my shoulder. "You cannot stop me, little pony. I have already been gone from my home for far too long, and wish to return."

The doctor's horn glowed, and with a wave of my hand, the appendage was coated in darkness, the glow gone. He stared at me, and I stared back. The silence stretched for a moment before I waved my hand again, allowing the horn to see the light once more. "You cannot hold me, pony. I am returning home, and you cannot stop me. I will find a way to repay your kindness at a later date."

I began exiting the hospital, trying to walk with as small a limp as possible. Roseluck followed, chattering of nothing as we walked. It was a simple gesture as we walked in what I discovered was the evening light, but it meant a lot as I was an outsider. I couldn't help the simple joy it brought me to get some measure of acceptance in this strange land. It felt... peaceful.

***

In the camp of Neberius, twigs snapped as an ethereal shadow entered the camp. The shadows were writhing and snapping until they coalesced into a snake-like shape. "So, the creature who stole my name has been residing here?" The hammock began swaying under an unnatural wind. "How quaint. I shall almost regret burning it to the ground." The silence of evening swallowed the camp before the shadow scoffed. "She was entertaining at first, but it has gone too far. To few ponies believe in the true spirit of the night now..." A spark came from the woods, hitting a stack of dead wood. The camp suddenly fell silent, only fire residing within.

Comments ( 11 )

"Oh jackfuck. We have a young god now do we? Petty fool he is."

So... Is one of the songs going to be based off of In the Dark of the Night from the movie Anastasia?

9628276
I feel like thats a reference

9628289
2nd chapter, hit that one early.

9628293
While not the exact quote its the same meaning. In some book I read an elder god saw two entities fighting over a namesake and remarked at the fire of their youth, their blind belief in that which they perceive to be their old age, and the idea tha said 'wisdom' made them wiser. Even more so he is amused at their profound lack of power an understanding of their own. So blind in themselves they are they do not even realize why belief in them is waning, nor does their 'age' allow them to perceive it. To this god, these creatures are beyond young, to this god, their squabble is beyond petty and to this god, their power, their name, their very existence is both futile and ultimately, meaningless.

Wonder if there is a degree of power in names/belief.

Initially I assumed some spirit of the forest was playing along with her/giving her some power that way, but with this chapter I wonder if it's now because creatures believe that she is the spirit the power is shifting from the actual spirit to be her own. Or I'm losing it/rambling. Probably pretty poorly articulated.

Though if that is the case, will she grow stronger as more believe?

Edit: Typos/clarification.

9629401
You're fairly spot on. I always liked the idea that gods and spirits are powered by belief, which begs a different question. What happens when a mortal gets a ton of belief in them?

9629433
I look forward to finding out. ;p

Very nice! I wonder what she's going to do when she returns to her home to find it burned to ashes.
So if this is a "belief based power" like previous comments suggest, does that mean trixie was on to something that whole time? But never got it right? Or does it have to start with something real to latch on to?
And if that's the case, does the belief power give celestia and luna a boost because of all the ponies that believe in them?
I'm loving this story, and I'm not sure where its going next.

The need to post a comment here finally drove me to register an account. Please continue this; I've thoroughly enjoyed what I've read so far.

A fantastic bit of story here. I'm surprised it didn't get more attention when it was new. Hope to see more of it someday, and if that's not meant to be, thanks for sharing whats here.

Login or register to comment