• Published 9th Feb 2019
  • 2,081 Views, 47 Comments

Wolf-cubs - Orrm



During the events of Anon-a-Miss Sunset encounters a set of four wolf-cubs. Each bite leaves a different shape.

  • ...
15
 47
 2,081

Quest 3 - Rule of Fenrir

“It is not enough to be nice; you have to be good. We are attracted by nice people; but only on the assumption that their niceness is a sign of goodness.”
― Roger Scruton







Shadow



And on she went.

She spoke of many things in the hours past. She spoke of great feats accomplished earlier in her life, minus the unicorns and ‘magic’, she spoke of the mentor she came to call mother, she spoke of her subsequent betrayal and how she was ‘unjustly’ punished for it.

She sounded quite guilty at that part. She babbled on and on about her flaws and mistakes, barely making progress while her audience stiffened at the mention of another ‘parent’. A pain they knew and wished more than anything to never feel again.

Nonetheless,

She continued.

As regret layered her voice she spoke of her ‘Reign of Terror’ that lasted three years under which she held an entire school under an iron fist, her tools, the human mind and strategic use of the flaws humans so abundantly possessed.

They liked this. Hell, they loved this. She was powerful. She was GREAT! But then they realized two things. One, the story was nowhere near complete and two, the imperative word, ‘was’. The person infront of them was no grand manipulator, she was no mild-mannered spy, this person was a broken young woman brought to tears over what they perceived to be trivial affairs. Nothing was important for them, as such all else than family was called trivial.

This girl held no power, she was weak.

They continued to listen.



She spoke of a new force called ‘magic’, a point at which Achiles’ hand twitched in the general direction of his revolver, the real one, nonetheless he listened. She spoke of power, she spoke of greed, she spoke of demons and of air-headed heroes. She spoke of six, then spoke of five. She spoke of….friendship

Poison, will-devouring poison, and if for no other reason to remind themselves each mimed the same thought, you'd think then psychic, 'A friend can take you places but they cannot bring you back.'

Sunset paused. Her eyes scanned the expressions of the four boys before her. They were blank and like the void stared back at her with an intensity that bordered her own. Tendrils of blood-black anxiety slithered over her body like ice sliding down her spine, she had to look away. She breathed out a sigh, as if to calm herself, once more glued her eyes to the fine black carpet and continued

She spoke of things of beings of magic and hate, she spoke of beings of hypnotism and song, she spoke of world-ending abilities and she spoke of triumphant heroes who combated such a threat with naught but hope, music? and herself. She mentioned ‘Friendship’ occasionally but they glossed over such trivial details. A friend was a mockery of what you call an ally. One who aids you in your endeavors regardless of affiliation. Friends were a peaceful relationship that balanced on an easily cut string, when pulled it became taut and sharp, but when met with an edge it splits as easily as a balloon pops.

A pathetic mockery of an alliance.

Still, they listened

Then came the fun part.

Her tone fell flat, her eyes gazed as she recounted recent events. Initially life has been well. Trust in the ‘reformed’ girl was at an all-time high, her -friends- surrounded her like a soft blanket. And then one night till the next the blanket grew long, flesh-piercing spines.

Anon-a-Miss.

The sheer ‘originality’ of the name was comical and the repercussions of its actions invoked sick amusement and stilted smiles. A person, running around revealing secrets and framing this girl in an obvious attempt to ostracize her from her peers, and it worked.

Sunset’s school life consisted of schoolwork, abuse by the student body, cry herself to sleep, repeat. This wasn’t entertaining anymore, it was simply, pitiful. There was no fight in her, no spark of hope in her eye and frankly they couldn’t see how someone could take joy in her sadness.

For what is the elation of ruination, if not a response to defiance?

Sunset told this story as tears streamed down her eyes, leaning forwards as she narrated in great detail all the ways in which she was hurt by not only her school but by those she came to know as friends. By those she came to Trust as family. Where was that family now? Was it all a ruse? No, it was probably some sentiment said in a spur of the moment. And being the stupid little girl she was, she had taken it to mean something. She chuckled. So much for family.

Fun fact, the employer of her job was related to a victim of Anon-a-miss and naturally she was blamed and fired. Let’s not even talk about her already bad reputation and, considering most businesses in this part of the city were more or less run by someone related in some way to Canterlot High,her employment options were slim to none.

She had one more month in her apartment, from there, who knew…..

“-and that was when you showed up and assaulted them,”

She finished her dialogue as she scanned the children to gauge their reactions. Hopefully they wouldn’t cast her out like the others.

Where did that come from?

Sunset shook her head clear of such thoughts and breathed in deeply. She was not in the best state of mind, no doubt about that, her very decision to come here told quite a bit of it and by Celestia was she rethinking it. At least they were hospitable.

Asura’s brow furrowed as he stared at the ground, arms visibly tensing as he gritted his teeth tensely. Orthros was similar, except he stared right at her, big, beady, brown eyes and a blank expression as a fire seemed to collect itself within him. Achiles showed no reaction and was currently eating a shish kabob while scratching his back with his left hand, he’d been doing that since she started oddly enough, and Vandal wore an ear-splitting grin on his face as he eyed her.

There was something inherently wrong about that stare.

Never mind.

Asura reached an arm towards her and lightly patted her on the back, invoking a slight flinch on her part, the poor girl had not expected the kind gesture and recently-made muscle memory replayed an image of a hand slapping her on the back so hard she body slammed into a locker. Her breathing increased to short gasps and her eyes stung, eyes dilating to pinpricks body trembled and tensed in anticipation.

“I suggest you turn in for the night, go to the kitchen and down the hall to the left, third door on the right,”

Asura’s voice was calm, composed yet stern and managed to calm her down just a bit, though not nearly enough to quell her growing anxiety. No. It was going to take time before that let up.

Sunset nodded and stood up, catching a shish kabob thrown at her by Vanir as she left the room, eyes of differentiating shades of brown locking onto her as she left and their weight on her shoulders only lessening once she had made it down the hall to the room in question and shut the door behind her.



//Living Room//

Asura and Orthros relaxed as the fire faded form their eyes as soon as it came, replaced with a blank expression. Achiles retracted the hand from behind his back, only to retrieve a notepad documenting her entire story since she started with occasion notes on her behavior regarding certain individuals, situations and actions. Vandal was unchanged, his grin of amusement present as he leaned forwards and rested his elbows on his knees, head on his palms as he asked in an oddly sultry tone, eyes sparking like a child in a candy-store,

“So, what do we do now?”

Asura smirked and replied in a casual tone,

“Nothing, we don’t gain anything from this endeavor, I say we scrap it,”

Achiles responded in a flat tone

“Indeed, and in any case these are teenagers, normal, untrained ones too plus-”

“-if she was once a Queen she’ll become one again when push comes to shove,”

Vandal finished sagely.

Orthros pouted as he put on his signature Cheshire grin, that ‘unnatural’ feeling that he brought with it present in the air as he spoke.

“Ya’ll blind, how can you not see this!”

The three brothers stared at the mutt like he had grown another head. Orthros continued, the childish joy in his voice masking the true weight of his words to an extent,

“What are we now?”

All three responded almost immutably,

“Bored,”

Orthros gripped the air infront of him, curling his hand into a fist like a dictator would as he spoke,

“Yes, bored! Yet with this we can have so much fun!”

“And how do you propose we do that?”

Achiles asked, eyes scanning his notes searching for inconsistencies as Orthros responded, the high-pitched, youthful voice giving one of the most eerie impressions,

“First of all, what happens when you reveal an emotionally unstable idiot’s secret? They get MA-AD, and what happens when they get too angry? They resort to violence! And who knows with a little ‘Push; they could start outright lynching!”

Orthros chuckled darkly,

“Hell! From what she’s told us it’s Already almost at the boiling point! A bit more time and it’ll all go to Tartarus, if anything we’ll just speed up the process! And yes, on the point of any opponent being an untrained teenager, YES! They’re weak! BUT! What happens when you beat a small lynch mob? What happens when you show a li-tle weakness that makes you LOOK Vulnerable? The mobs grow and with numbers like that I’m sure we’ll be entertained for quite some time! All we need to do is protect her and their blind hate’ll guide them straight to us!”

The three brothers nodded, their demeanor almost business-like until they truly grasped what he meant.

Asura grinned at the opportunity and Vandal, like the true sadist he was, began to salivate at the thought of beating the absolute crap out of a teacher.

What? The guy’s weird.

Achiles on the other hand just smirked and continued on point,

“And I’m guessing I’ll have some fun tracking the elusive Anon-a-miss persona. Hmph.”

He took out his phone and flipped open a MyStable page using a browser,

“For this idiot’s crap to actually still function he’s either some high-profile revenge junkie, multiple people or just plain stupid. Hell, even I can tell this is a frame job and all I do is fuck up FaceHoof’s code.”

He flicked a button on the phone screen and multiple red dots popped up on a region-map.

“They say to know a man’s stature, know his enemies, the more dangerous his enemies the higher his stature. We’re dismissing this as a teenage spat but we’re all quite acquainted with the consequences of underestimating a task. I’ll do some recon on the school, the students and see what I can find. Worse comes to worse we can always call a Ragn..a…r…o..c..k… Let’s hope Sunset’s stature isn’t too high, won’t want to call Uncle Ross again now would we.”

Achiles smiled warmly at the glowing screen before making some notes based on the map’s points,

“Bah! She’s a bullied teenager who had a superiority complex! Hell, she’s currently suffering from PTSD and, according to that nice little camera in her room, she found the first aid kit and is tying bandages across her midsectio…….”

Vandal’s sentence died in his mouth as he gazed at her body. Purple splotches imprinted down her chest and midsection, her back was practically a sea of red and blue and he spotted one particularly nasty slash on the lower-left side of her chest. He grinned,

”That’s a fockin’ knife wound….”

He remained silent for a few minutes before he burst out laughing like a madman, the sheer enjoyment in his cackling was a bit worrying considering the fact that he was entertained by an attempt at knifing someone.

“Oh God! HAHAHAHAH Maybe! HAHAHAH! Maybe this’ll be fun after all! Knives Man! Knives! HAHAHAHA THOSE CHEEKY MTHERFUCKERS! Let’s hope they can at least last a minute! HAHAHA!”

Asura simply grinned as he observed the many marks of abuse on her lithe body. ‘Jackpot,’ he thought as his mind ran over the possibilities. They were being handed free entertainment on a silver platter and as an added bonus they got to be ‘good’ and help someone in the process. Their father would be-

.

.

To Asura, this was a win-win for both parties. Regardless of intention, she looked like she could use all the help she could get. He could only hope the task would be interesting.

Orthros sighed in satisfaction, simply glad he managed to convince his brothers to help the poor lady. By no means was he a good person, nope, definitely not, deeefinately not. Still, he took no joy in seeing the innocent suffer. Okay, maybe he did but only in despair and only to those buffoons who actually ticked him off. Her situation was just plain depressing and to put it simply he could not stand it! It was a mockery of what true despair looked like and when the child first saw her all he wanted to do was make her smile.

His teeth chattered and canines ground against one another in agitation.

Those heathens who couldn’t see past their own asses, basted mongrels who could never understand nor discern truth from lie despite the answer placed before them. Maybe that was how Sunset had become queen, by manipulating pawns who contained no more than three brain cells and even less chromosomes.

Devour them all.



//Sunset’s POV//

When she first entered the room she honestly expected a Spartan living space with a tiny rock-like bed and basic sleeping quarters. She was pleasantly surprised to find a queen-sized bed that was surprisingly soft. The bed was large and covered in multiple blankets, the one on the top being a large scarlet-red fluffy blanket pulled tautly on its edges, accompanied by two angelic pillows that seemed to form a sink in the shape of her head as she laid down on it.

The room seemed rustic yet oddly well-maintained. Almost as if the room had been a nexus of activity at some point far here before her and the fact that there were multitudes of landscape paintings and an exquisite, clean vase on a small, fully stocked table next to the bed only reinforced the oddity of the situation.

Sunset smiled and embraced the warmth the comfort the bed brought and mentally compared it to the times she would fall asleep in Princess Celestia’s wings. Not quite as comfortable but close enough. She winced a bit as she occasionally shifted her body. The aches and pains she just bandaged making themselves known through her movement.

She huffed and once more gauged her surroundings. To the far right was the room’s entrance, somehow almost blending with the dark-blue walls of the room. To the left was a small bathroom equipped with shaving equipment, brand new toothbrushes, towels and a first aid kit she had liberally used when her bruises started aching.

Sunset yawned and returned her gaze to the ceiling and took to pondering her situation. She went to a stranger’s house, ate their food ad was currently sleeping in a room while in the same house a four hyper-muscular younger children who for all she knew had no guardian.

She was too tired for this.

She forced herself to relax as fatigue began to gnaw at her consciousness and after quite a bit of struggling she submitted to the urge to sleep. Hoping to Celestia her new ‘friendships’ wouldn’t end up as her former ones. If you could even call them that.