• Published 9th Feb 2019
  • 1,011 Views, 17 Comments

My Little Ponytales - Rainbow Sparkle

  • ...
3
 17
 1,011

S1 E1: Birthday Surprise

On a rainy, cloudy day such as Canterlot was having today, most folks would have chosen to stay indoors and stay warm and dry unless they had things to do. Even if it wasn’t actually storming, many of the capital’s denizens would have no desire to risk catching a cold or messing up their fine clothes or manes.

The Dreemurr’s however, were not such folk. Especially their children.

“Hey no fair! You’ve got wings!” Asriel shouted up at Chara, who stuck their tongue out at the ground bound pair below.

“You never said no wings!” Chara teased back as Frisk shook their head in amusement, humming silently as they used their magic to pick up the dodgeball and sneak off towards one of the new rose bushes Dad had planted recently. Chara’s focus was entirely on Asriel as the young prince harrumphed and put his hands on his hips.

“I didn’t think I’d need to!”

This banter was nothing new to Frisk. Chara and Asriel argued and teased each other incessantly, something they’re parents had said was quite frequent before… well…

Normally, Frisk would just watch them, occasionally taking a side if they thought it necessary. When they were playing though… it was always a good chance to get an edge on one or the other, and Frisk wasn’t above doing so. Even if it usually meant they were then on the receiving end of revenge from both.

Unfortunately, Chara had picked up on the sudden absence of the golden coated unicorn. They quickly flew away from the tree they’d been using as cover, only to be pelted from both sides. Frisk let out a triumphant shout, only to yelp as Chara decided to come after them first.

“Don’t try running Frisk! We both know I’ll catch up! And then you’ll have to suffer the punishment for cheap shots like that!”

Frisk knew only too well. She had learned within the very first week after the Monsters left the Underground that Toriel and Asgore had taught their kids the secret Dreemurr art of tickling. The fact that Chara was a Pegasus and could use their wings only made it worse.

“Asriel! Help me!” Frisk shouted back, but the fluffy dork was busy trying to fling some mud off him. It seemed his efforts to reclaim his dodgeball had tripped him up. There would be no goat-bro to the rescue here.

Thankfully, instead it would turn out to be King Dad Guy to the rescue. “Children! Lunch is ready!” He called out from the kitchen window, the smell of grilled eggplant and hay burgers briefly distracting everyone.

Chara landed on the ground beside Frisk, giving them a poke in the side with a hoof. “Don’t think this means you’ve gotten out of a round of tickle torture.” Frisk just whistled innocently as Chara rolled their eyes and hurried on in. Frisk waited on Asriel, using a spell Rarity had shown them to help clean their brother off.

“Thanks.” Asriel said, smiling as he added, “I know Dad doesn’t mind tracks as much as Mom, but I don’t want to add to Dad’s workload.”

“No problem Azzy.” Frisk said… only for her to regret those words when they walked in and Chara splashed them both with water as they shook the rainwater off their coat and wings. The pair gave the smug looking pale Pegasus a glare as Chara stuck her tongue out at them.

“Consider it payback for ya both hitting me at once~!” They singsonged before trotting into the kitchen. Frisk sighed and cast the cleaning spell again which at least got rid of the excess water dripping from them as the pair followed after.

The children quickly crowded around the round dining table, with Asgore seeming to take up a fair bit of space. Frisk and Chara both weren’t sure if it was just a case of Asgore always having been a big monster, or if the equine forms they’d gained when they left the Underground made him seem bigger.

“I made plenty for everyone, so take what you want.” Asgore said softly as he made himself a sandwich, Asriel quickly laying claim to the grilled eggplant while Frisk and Chara split most of the hayburgers between each other.

After a bit of silent munching as everyone dug in, Asgore asked, “So, how does a movie and then some board games sound after lunch?”

Frisk and Asriel quickly nodded their heads at that, earning a chortle from Chara as they said, “Oh sure, now that you both know I’m going to go after both of you, you want to play something else.”

“You’re only saying that because you know I’m better at tabletop games.” Asriel said with a snort, earning a staring contest between the pair.

Frisk’s mind however was elsewhere, thinking about the other reason she’d suggested they spend the weekend at their Dad’s place. A reminder of such being marked on the calendar hanging by the fridge.

“Hey Dad? Do you have any ideas on what we can do for Mom’s birthday?” Frisk finally asked, making Asgore pause his eating for a moment, looking like he’d been stung a bit.

“I’m not sure I’m the best to ask that kind of question anymore…” Asgore mumbled as he looked at his plate. He nearly dropped his sandwich however at Chara’s response- then again Frisk and Asriel were also giving their sibling a surprised look.

“Horseshit. You’ve still known her the longest out of anybody else in the Underground.” Chara said with a frown, quickly adding “You may have not been together for a long time, but you can’t tell me you don’t have some ideas.”

Frisk nodded, and Asriel decided to chime in “We’ve been thinking about it on and off for a month Dad, but we’ve only got a few ideas that we can work on by ourselves.”

“And at least one idea I have will need some help from you Dad.” Frisk got out, earning quirked eyebrows from Chara and Asriel.

Asgore was silent a moment, leaving the children unsure if he’d heard them or not. But after a minute passed, Asgore sighed and asked “Well, first, just what ideas did all of you have?”

“Well, I was thinking of getting Mom some new dresses and robes.” Asriel began. “I was going to just try to get something from one of the stores here in Canterlot, but I bumped into Rarity while she was buying some supplies for some big line she’s working on, and she said she’d be happy to help whip up a few for Mom.”

Chara rolled their eyes at that. “From what I’ve seen and heard of her, I’m not too surprised she’d do that. It’s a huge opportunity for her business.”

Asriel frowned a bit at that. “You’re not wrong Chara, but most of the ponies here in Canterlot were asking for outrageous prices. Rarity offered to do it for free.”

Chara didn’t have a response to that, so instead they said “I was thinking of trying to buy her some exotic cooking supplies, or maybe some new books. She loves cooking as much as she does reading.”

“Both of those are good ideas… and leave me wondering why you wanted to ask me.” Asgore said with a bit of a sad chuckle. Though he did scratch his beard a bit as he looked to Asriel, then Chara and asked, “Though I suspect you’ll be needing measurements for your Mother, and wanting to know topics or dishes that might pique her interest more. Am I right?”

Chara and Asriel both nodded, leaving only…

“And what about you Frisk? What was your idea?”

Frisk squirmed a bit, blushing as they said “Well, actually, two ideas. The first doesn’t technically need your approval, since I already asked the Embassy staff.” At this, Frisk quickly elaborated, “I wanted to host the Birthday Party for Mom at the embassy, and invite all of our friends and any monster or ponies who wanted to show up.”

“Mhm, since it’s for Toriel, yes I can see why the staff would say it’d be no problem. Especially since there’s nothing scheduled for that day. But what else could you need my help for?”

Now Frisk smiled. This was something they knew that Toriel really wanted, and would be the perfect present from her. Knowing that Asgore played a role in getting it might also help heal the rifts between the two.

“I want to get Mama a Teaching License.”

The eyes of the others all widened at this, but soon they were all smiling. Even Asgore. After a moment of thought, he nodded his head and said “Yes… yes, I think I can help with that my child… and I can help with all the rest as well.”

Thoughts of games and play were put aside for the rest of the afternoon. They’d get back to them in the evening before bed… but for now, it was time for plotting and planning out the best way to make Toriel’s first birthday above ground the most memorable one in her life.

-*-

It was Monday night when Frisk found themself walking alongside Asgore through the halls of the Royal palace. Every so often, one of the guards would incline their heads to the Monster King and the adopted royal. Frisk still wasn’t used to thinking of themself as a noble or royal of anything, no matter how much their friends tried to tell them otherwise.

“Are you sure this isn’t asking too much?” Frisk asked as they looked up to their Dad, who was wearing his crown and robes for this meeting.

“If I thought it was, we wouldn’t be heading to a meeting with Princess Luna, would we?”

“N-No, I guess not.” Frisk admitted, rubbing the back of their head. “I’m just a little…”

“Worried she’ll say no?” Asgore asked, and Frisk nodded. He chuckled a bit and ruffled their hair. “For one so Determined at times, you worry more than even Tori does at times.”

Frisk couldn’t help but blush at that. “I can’t help it… this is important… and I want it to be ready in time for Mom’s birthday…”

“Well, from what I’ve heard, especially in my chats with her sister Princess Celestia, she should be more than able to help us. Ecstatic to do so in fact as you might find out.”

Frisk quirked an eyebrow up at that, not sure exactly what Asgore meant as they reached the throne room where Night Court was being held… to see that they were in fact the first and, well, only people in line to get in.

“Are… are we the only ones here tonight?” Frisk asked, and Asgore gave a sad nod.

“More Ponies stay awake in the evening then they used to, but it seems most who need to speak with one of the Princesses do so during the day.”

Frisk felt their heart going out to the Lunar Princess as a dark blue hue took hold of the doors and slowly swung on open.

The throne room wasn’t changed much from when they’d first stepped into it during the day the Barrier was broken. It held the same tapestries along the sides in between the windows. The only difference was that there were Lunar tapestries around the throne, and that there were several standing torches that flickered with a soft, blue flame that gave the room an almost mystical air to it.

“Ah, King Asgore, Saviour Frisk, a pleasure to see you this evening.” Luna said from her place on the throne, looking delighted to see anyone. Her eyes quickly focused on Frisk to as she added “I understand you need help with something special?”

Frisk nodded their head and, after getting a nod from Asgore, took a few steps forward. “P-Princess,” they began, only to be briefly interrupted.

“Luna, dear Frisk. Friends do not have to address us by our title.”

Nodding, Frisk continued. “Luna, next week is Toriel’s birthday. Her first up here on the surface. My siblings and I want to do something special for it, but the gift I know she’ll appreciate the most is something that’d normally take a while to get… and would require her to be involved in getting it. I want this to be a surprise after all.”

Luna hummed, and said “Hm, tell me what this gift is to be, and I will say whether it is something I may be of help with.” And so Frisk told Luna how they wanted to make Mama Toriel’s dream of becoming a teacher a reality. And the glimmer in Luna’s eyes and the smile on her face made Frisk swell with hope.

Finally, Luna raised a hoof. “We can assist you and your siblings dear Frisk. We can even do so without going around the rules and system my sister has set up with regard to education in the realm.” When Frisk tilted their head at this, Luna added,

“We believe that your mother has already submitted forms to receive a teaching license. Normally, she would have to take a test as well and wait for a review period… but I already know Miss Toriel rather well and have no doubt she’d pass with flying colors.”

Frisk clapped their hooves excitedly “So you can get her one?”

Luna nodded. “We will do more than get her one, but that you’ll have to wait til her party.” She gave a wink and said “We can present it to her there, together. I’m sure that will help make it a moment to treasure for all time.”

Frisk let out a joyful whinny and rushed over to Luna, hugging the Princess’s hooves and saying “ThankyouThankyouThankyou!~” over and over again, much to the two royals amusement.

“Do make sure there’s plenty of cake for everyone though. My sister will never admit it, but she is a bit of a cake fanatic.” Luna added with a chuckle as she ruffled Frisk’s mane. They nodded and finally let go as Asgore motioned for them.

“Again Princess Luna, thank you, thank you from the bottom of my heart. The children are going to be so happy to be able to give this to Toriel… and Toriel will be beyond overwhelmed.”

Luna dipped her head. “It is my pleasure Asgore. It is always a joy to help light up a child’s face and make their night, or day, a bit brighter. Do come again if either of you or the Monster Kingdom needs my assistance.”

Asgore and Frisk both nodded, giving her a bow as they left. Frisk was practically bouncing in place, and as soon as they had closed the door behind them they let out another whinny and managed to throw themselves around Asgore’s neck, a fierce hug and much nuzzling following.

How they managed to get themselves up the five or so feet for said affections on her own was left a mystery.

Chuckling, Asgore helped grab hold of Frisk so they could ride on his shoulder pauldron. “Come on, let’s head back home. We still have some preparations to make.”

Frisk nodded eagerly, already looking forward to the party next week.

-*-

The rest of the weekend and the days leading up to the party went by in a blur. For Frisk and their siblings, they were amazed they were able to keep a lid on things, maintaining the element of surprise all the way up to the last minute as they walked with Toriel up to the Monster Embassy doors.

Frisk had been a bit surprised that Toriel didn’t seem to be acknowledging her birthday, but Chara and Asriel had both said that Toriel hadn’t really celebrated one since… well, since before they’d both died.

And even before then, from what Asgore had said, sometimes they both forgot their own birthdays. Guess it came with being, effectively ageless.

It was hard for them to contain their excitement as well. Asriel had a big goofy grin on his face and Chara’s wings were twitching excitedly. Frisk had to admit that even they were finding it hard to keep from bouncing on their hooves.

“Goodness my children, your all quite energetic today.” Toriel said with a soft giggle. “There’s really no reason to be so excited, I’m just attending a short little meeting.”

“We know!” They all chorused, sharing a giggle between them that earned a raised eyebrow as their mother grabbed the handle and began to pull the door open…

And as soon as she finished, the lights inside flicked on and there was possibly a hundred or more voices calling out “SURPRISE! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TORIEL!”

Toriel’s eyes were wide, and she was frozen in place as she saw a great many Ponies and Monsters both. She saw her children’s friends, the Element Bearers, the Princesses… practically everyone was here! And a big huge banner done up by Pinkie Pie was draped across the back wall of the entrance hall.

Frisk and their siblings quickly followed the crowds cheer with their own, and a few flying hugs. “Happy Birthday Mama!~<3”

Their hugs seemed to snap Toriel out of her stupor, and she smiled as her eyes grew a little damp. “My children, you didn’t have to do this for little ol me…”

Chara rolled their eyes at that, while Asriel nodded. “We know we didn’t have to Mom…”

“But we wanted to. Especially since it’s your first out of the Underground.”

Toriel blinked a bit at that, then her smile widened, and she chuckled. “So it is… I guess that is a rather special reason to throw an extra special party. Still,…”

Chara just shook their head, floating into the air and giving Toriel a little push. “No still about it, c’mon now! There’s food, games, friends and then after all of that presents!”

Frisk watched as Chara ‘encouraged’ Mom to join the festivities, giving Asriel a hoofbump as they moved to follow after them. Frisk glanced off to Asgore, who was speaking quietly with both of the Princesses. Luna glanced their way and gave a smile and a wink, earning a bigger smile on Frisk’s own muzzle.

Frisk stuck close to Mom through most of it, mingling with those who came up to talk with her and wishing her a fantastic birthday. A few here and there asked her how old she was, but she just shook her head and told them she wasn’t entirely sure anymore. Asgore confirmed that when he said even with his great memory, he couldn’t recall how old either of them were.

Sans made a comment that they might be old enough to get a few dozen senior citizen discounts, earning laughs from all of them and a mock glare from both of the Royal Dreemurrs, before they demurred and joined the mirth.

Six three large cakes were soon brought out, with one of them being a butterscotch-cinnamon cake that was as tall as Toriel was. Everyone was quite impressed by the decorations around the ring, especially the Toriel as it depicted all the happy moments in her life. Pinkie thanked Frisk for letting her borrow the photo album for that part.

Between the Dreemurrs themselves and the Princesses, with some minor help from everyone else, the cakes were easily demolished and the moment of truth had arrived. It was time for the presents, and the three of them made sure to keep the most special ones for last.

Some presents weren’t too surprising. A new joke book from Sans, cooking books from Papyrus. An “One Free Training Session” from Undyne raised a few eyebrows but Toriel thanked her all the same.

The Toriel plushie with Mettaton’s face on it was quietly set aside to be dealt with later.

Soon enough though, it was just Asriel, Chara, and Frisk left. Frisk nodded to them, letting them go first as she saw the Princesses moving closer to the four of them. Asriel went first, handing a long, flat, rectangular box to Mom. The tag had the Deltarune on it and three diamonds in a familiar pattern.

“From Asriel and Rarity.” She said, Asriel blushing a bit and nodding.

“R~Rarity did most of the work… so it didn’t seem right not to include her on the tag.”

Toriel seemed to understand that, and carefully opened the box. She let out a soft gasp as a shimmering royal purple dress spilled out. It had a bit of regal flair to it but it’s most amazing trait was how some lines made it look like rippling waves of fire, particularly at the hem and the wrists.

“It’s beautiful, thank you both.” She said after a moment, holding it up to herself and smiling faintly as she saw it almost shimmer and shift depending on how the light was striking it. She carefully folded it before pulling Asriel in for a hug, giving Rarity a smile and a nod as the fashionista dipped her head in quiet acknowledgment.

Next was Chara, and Toriel let out a long ‘oooo’ as she opened a box to find a dozen different books, all of them educational and a few involving Equestrian magic. Toriel beamed and gave Chara a kiss on the head as she said “It’s a good thing I got some more shelves at home now, otherwise I wouldn’t have had room for these.”

“Well, I don’t think that would have been a problem anyways~” Chara said in a cryptic tone as Frisk’s turn came up next. Frisk wasn’t holding anything, but Toriel didn’t miss how both of the Princesses moved over to stand to either side of them.

“Mom, this present was my idea, but I had alot of help for it. Without some help from Dad and the Princesses, this gift wouldn’t be possible.”

Toriel’s face was every bit the puzzled one as she looked between the three ponies before her. She looked like she wanted to ask, but wasn’t sure how to begin.

Thankfully, Luna stepped in before she could. “Her Royal Highness, Toriel Dreemurr, Queen of the Monsters, it is with immense pleasure that we present the young royal’s gift to you on this most joyful occasion.” She lifted her wing, and a scroll bearing the seal of Equestria came forth, floating over to Toriel who slowly took it and began to unfurl it.

As Luna continued, understanding dawned on her as she read the words at the very top.

“Under the authority of the Sun and Moon, we present you with a Royal License of Education. Anywhere within the realm of Equestria or it’s dependencies you are now authorized to pass on your knowledge to future generations, whomever they may be.”

Celestia took that moment to chime in, a wide, warm smile on her face as she pulled out her own scroll. Frisk blinked at this, not having expected that, though the knowing look on Luna’s face suggested this had been planned by both.

“And it is my pleasure to offer to you a writ that will allow you to construct your very own school to your own specifications here in Canterlot or wherever you deem appropriate.”

The entire Dreemurr family’s jaw dropped at that. Frisk and their siblings had known that Luna and Celestia had both gotten the license certified. They hadn’t dreamed that the Princesses would go this far for them!

Toriel was left speechless, no words able to express how she was feeling for a good minute. She swayed a bit, flopping back into a chair Sans managed to bring over just in time. She looked at the scroll again, noticing that it had signatures from her entire family there as witnesses.

Toriel started crying as she beckoned them all over for a hug, the Dreemurr children not needing to be told twice. It took some goading to bring Asgore in but once there he helped prove that the best Dreemurr hug was one coming from both Mom and King Dad Guy.

As she let go, Toriel beamed at her children, the most precious treasures in her entire life. “Thank you my children… thank you so much for all of this. This will be one birthday I don’t think I’ll ever be able to forget.” She kissed each on the head, earning nose nuzzles in turn from them. “Though I think there’s one present that tops them all.”

Frisk blinked at that, tilting their head slightly. “Which present is that Mom?”

Chara and Asriel shared a look, having a guess as to what she was going to say next. After all, it’d been something she’d told them in the past, and it was as true then as it was now.

Toriel smiled, and scooped the three of them up into her arms. “The greatest present is having each of your wonderful, loving selves as my children.”

This earned a collective ‘daaaaaaww’ from the party guests as Toriel lavished all three of the Dreemurr kids with kisses and nuzzles until Chara’s tolerance for mushy lovey dovey moments was reached, and they zipped out and hovered above everyone else.

“Well come on folks! The party isn’t over yet! Hit it Pinkie!”

Pinkie Pie saluted and popped up behind the DJ station with Napstablook and Mettaton, and music began to play as Ponies and Monsters alike started swaying or singing along.

The party would last for a few more hours, but it was without a doubt the biggest party the Dreemurr children had been to, and as the three royal siblings had wanted, with the help of their friends, they’d thrown a Birthday Party that no one was going to be able to forget.

Author's Note:

Here we go, the first episode of the story I've been wanting to work on! I can't promise a fast update schedule for this, as I'm working on several things at once and may even try to get into doing writing commissions over on Furaffinity, but I hope you all enjoy this!