• Published 6th Feb 2019
  • 701 Views, 21 Comments

The Hero of My Story - maxisscrewed



"I have a dream every night," Sunset Shimmer sobbed, "where I am the hero of my story." One night when her dream finally comes true, she finds that Princess Luna’s banishment from her story book might not be such a tall tale after all.

  • ...
0
 21
 701

Chapter 1 — Sunset’s Dream

Sunset Shimmer would sleep peacefully most nights.

"There’s not much more I can do, you dork! Why are you expecting me to protect you all the time? All of you bring up my past and my family and you expect to just say ‘oopsie, no offense’ and forget it?"

"I’m sorry, Sunset, I didn’t mean to," Twilight whimpered, but Sunset’s pale cheeks flushed red.

"You never mean to! Nobody ever means to! I know I was a bully! I know my dad is in a motor gang! I’m not your guardian angel, Twilight!"

She would learn to wake herself up after The Dream, so she didn’t wake up in a panic-induced screaming fit.

"Tell me where we’re at, Sunset," Artemis asked, and the girl shook her head.

"You would laugh if I told you."

"Take a guess."

"The moon?"

Tonight, The Dream was...different.

"My heart aches for you, Sunset Shimmer." Sunset hung her head down to stare at the red and yellow glitter on the cobblestone roads and it slowly flooded away with her tears.

She squeezed her eyes shut in her sleep as she tossed onto her back.

"What have I done," Sunset wailed, looking up to the bright pink star in the sky that sat right next to the moon.

The sight of the star caused her head to surge with a horrible pain and she shot awake in bed, screaming loudly. It wasn’t but a few minutes before the door slammed open and the light flicked on, but she shielded her eyes.

"What’s wrong, sweetie," her father asked in a panicked fluster.

"It hurts!" He turned the light back off and she began to sob into her hands. The large, intimidating man rushed to her bedside and sat on the edge of her comfortable bed.

"I’m sorry, baby," he sighed, petting her long, red and yellow hair. He wiped the tears away from her pale, gaunt cheeks and he gave her a smile. "Maybe you should do something fun with your friends tomorrow? Get your mind off of this little nightmare you have."

"It’s not a nightmare," she tried to explain wrapping her arms around his burly body.

"What is it then?" The room remained silent for a long time while they hugged each other and she squeezed her eyes shut.

"A premonition."


"So, you’re still having The Dream?"

"When you say the dream, do you mean the dream or The Dream? Because if you were just talking about ‘the dream’ that would be wrong, it would be a dream—"

"The Dream, Pinkie Pie," Applejack shouted over the loud-speaking girl, letting Rarity hold her slightly muscular arm as they walked down the street.

"Yes, I’m still having it," Sunset sighed, shaking her head. Twilight Sparkle kept her nose in her textbook as they walked side by side and Sunset gently glanced over to her every once in a while before quickly looking back to Applejack. Then, when she looked to her for the last time, she saw Twilight was now staring back.

"Is something wrong?"

"What? No, of course not!"

"You seem off today," Twilight persisted, but Sunset’s face flushed with a relieved sheen when a large mansion came into view.

"Hey, there’s your Auntie Celestia’s house, Twi! Let’s go visit her, I haven’t seen her for a very long time. How’s your Uncle Artemis?"

"Well, uh, he’s fine I suppose—"

"Great! Let’s go see them!" Sunset Shimmer rain ahead of the group to the large doors and she frantically tried to press the doorbell. Her vision was blurred and doubled, and everything began to spin when her friends approached. She closed her eyes, and the vision of the horrible, leathery monster that haunted her dreams filled her head.

"Lookin’ for something?" Applejack pressed the doorbell and Twilight held Sunset from behind to make sure she didn’t fall.

"I’m fine," she quickly urged, standing against the pole. The loud, long song of the doorbell chimed and they waited for a few seconds before a tall, curvy, beautiful lady with dark skin and a radiant smile opened the door. Her sun kissed skin glistened with soft, golden freckles and her pink eyes were sweet like strawberries.

"Well lookie there, Twilight," the cheerful lady chimed with an even bigger smile, "it’s so nice to see you and your friends ‘hanging’ together!" Before Twilight could say anything, Artemis walked by behind her with his nose in a book. The porcelain, pasty young man looked up from under his dark blue hair and he spotted Sunset.

"Celestia," he mumbled, looking back down, "the bacon-haired girl is about to pass out."

"I have a name," Sunset snapped angrily, and Artemis stopped once again to look over his glasses at her. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath before she pursed her lips.

"Oh. You’re the delinquent. I suppose you belong to the thug, don’t you?"

"He isn’t a thug, you take that back right now," she shouted and her pale face turned red with anger. She barged in past Celestia to get to him and Twilight scurried past her aunt to grab Sunset’s leather jacket from behind. Artemis cocked an eyebrow and looked her up and down before closing his book. He was much skinnier than his sister, and had a gaunt, ghastly look about him. His hair was flaked with silver glitter, which was oddly natural hair color for him. He stood taller than his sister, even though they had a large age difference, with him being just past twenty-one and Celestia being almost thirty.

"How should you prove me otherwise if you act like this, dear?" Sunset said nothing, and he nodded to Twilight’s friends. "Good to see you, but I will not be joining you today. I’m going to lock myself in my room so that I do not have to deal with you. Good day."

As Artemis climbed the stairs, Celestia placed a gentle hand on Sunset Shimmer’s shoulders. "Please, dearest, don’t pay attention to him. He gets so mad when others have parents that love them. Our parents did nothing for us." After a long bout of silence, Celestia smiled and stood up straight. "Cookies, anyone?"