• Published 4th Feb 2019
  • 2,213 Views, 53 Comments

The Librarian's Torch - Amber Spark



Twilight's just a little nervous. It has nothing to do with Moondancer taking over the Castle Library. Or Moondancer's smile when she suggested taking over the library. Or anything to do with libraries. It's nothing. Nothing at all.

  • ...
11
 53
 2,213

Legacies

The tree sitting before them still seemed small even now. She’d been assured within a few months it would begin to soar skyward, the product of ancient magics of several races with an additional boon from both Princess Celestia and the Tree of Harmony itself. The earth around it was green with thick grass and the occasional flower.

At the moment, it seemed nothing special. Just a sapling planted at an oddly empty area on the outskirts of Ponyville. And considering how many trees Ponyville had in it, most ponies—ponies who didn’t know—wouldn’t think twice about yet another tree. In fact, newcomers to the town often had to be explained why this particular plot of land hadn’t been used for a house or some other building.

The ponies of Ponyville tended to be a little subtle when talking to ponies like that, usually with a hoof pointed at the innocuous sign posted nearby.

Future Site of Shining Oaks Library.

“They went all over Equestria for this?” Moondancer asked, tears running down her cheeks. She made no move to wipe them away. “You just… woke up a few weeks after they’d installed the roots over the Map and… they never said a word?”

Twilight shook her head, her own teardrops spilling into the soft grass at their hooves. A few droplets landed on Moondancer, but she didn’t say anything.

“They never needed to,” Moondancer whispered, her voice cracking again. “I… a special dispensation from Princess Celestia? Fireflies? S’mores? Even a new Smarty-Pants?”

“My old Smarty-Pants was fine. It was… well, that’s another story.” Twilight shrugged, still staring at the tiny tree. “I have the new one in my study, still unopened. He’ll go to the new librarian of the Shining Oaks library… him and a really long story on why, probably.”

She giggled softly, the sound laced with quiet sobs.

For a time, there was only silence between them, interrupted by birdsong and the strangely distant sounds of Ponyville. Even the chaos in Twilight’s mind had finally settled, likely buried from so much emotional shock. Or… soothed by her friends, both in memory and the one present right now. She remembered what the girls had done for her that day… they’d contacted so many, just… well, as the Princess’s letter that had accompanied the dispensation had said… they’d done all that just to make her smile.

And she had smiled. It hadn’t been big or flashy or anything like that. But had been genuine. As genuine as a pony could smile while she sobbed her eyes out. Partially from the pain of loss, but mostly for the love of her friends.

“This is why you’ve been so…” Moondancer broke off, obviously unsure how to fill that particular gap. “You’re… giving it up again.”

Twilight ran a hoof along the grass. Despite it being years ago, she could feel where the major southwestern root had once been. Another few tears fell in remembrance of that root… and what it represented.

“Despite this… despite the beautiful chandelier hanging over the map…” Twilight whispered as she traced the minute variations in the grass with a hoof. “There are days where I would give almost anything to be back here, in my tiny tree.” Only now did Twilight wipe her eyes, though the tears continued all the same. “Moondancer, I’m so—”

She was cut off by Moondancer’s gentle but insistent hoof on her side. It was enough to make her look at her friend for the first time since they’d sat down. Moondancer was a mess, her eyes red with tears, her glasses streaked with water and even her mane and coat looking a little disheveled. Moondancer swallowed hard, as if searching for her voice, then opened her mouth to speak. She still had to try a few times before words would come out.

“No, Twilight,” Moondancer said, her voice thick. “If anypony gets it other than your closest friends, I do. I know how important books are to you. We’re practically the same pony when it comes to obsessing about books.”

She smiled thinly and Twilight did her best to match it, though she was pretty sure it was a miserable attempt. Even though Twilight knew Moondancer was right.

“You know it’s different this time, right?” Moondancer asked, gently pulling her hoof back. Then, she softly stroked Twilight’s cheek.

The touch surprised Twilight a little, but she found needed the physical contact. She knew she could have her friends here in an instant. They understood what the Golden Oaks Library had meant to her. It had been her home. They’d had thousands of memories there.

But… Moondancer understood it on a different level. A level that she’d… she’d avoided facing until she had to. The books had been her friends, too. They’d watched over them. They’d been there on Spike’s birthday when they’d all learned about dragon greed. They’d been there when they’d struggled to find answers to Poison Joke. They’d even been there when she’d… when she’d ascended. And they’d been there for the citizens of Ponyville time and time again. A library wasn’t just a building or a place. It was a home to knowledge, wisdom and intelligence. A place to brighten a pony’s mind and spirit.

There was something indefinable about a large repository of knowledge.

And Twilight had lived in one.

They’d spent six months researching to create the manual for the Castle of Friendship’s Library. In that time, she—and Moondancer—had done field research in every major Equestrian town or city. In all of those, Twilight had only met a hoofful who knew what it was like to live in a library. None had lost their home, but she could always tell when another pony knew what it was like. Who had lived it. Who had known that sort of life.

When Twilight looked behind Moondancer’s tear-stained glasses, she saw another pony who understood it, too. What made her special was that she hadn’t truly lived in a library, and she still understood.

It took a very special kind of pony to understand that bond without having lived it herself.

So, she finally nodded in answer to Moondancer’s question. “Yes. I know it’s different. The Castle’s library will still be there. I can still go whenever I want or need to. And one of my best friends will be running it for me.”

“That… sounds rehearsed.”

“Three months.”

“Then there’s…” Moondancer’s eyes went wide. “It’s… not just that. You’re…”

When she burst into giggles, Twilight felt annoyance creeping over the rest of the heavy weights in her chest.

“I’m so sorry, I just got the title, ‘The Librarian of Friendship’ stuck in my head,” she giggled again, but this time, Twilight couldn’t help but join her.

Still, the giggles didn’t last very long.

“You can always—” Moondancer began.

Twilight shook her head slowly. “There always needs to be somepony in charge, deciding on the catalog organization, the on-the-spot rules, the due dates… either I’m going to be in charge or you are.”

“And you really think I can replace you as a librarian?” Moondancer asked incredulously.

Twilight flinched at the word ‘replace,’ but she nodded anyway. “Sometimes, a pony needs to decide what has to come first. And when something… when you can’t give something the love it deserves, sometimes, you need to give it to somepony who can give it that love.”

Moondancer just stared at her, her mouth slightly open. “I… I don’t know what to say…”

“You already said yes. That’s all I ever wanted,” she mumbled and turned her attention back to the tiny tree. “It’ll be a beautiful library someday. Maybe you’ll take over here.”

“I doubt it,” Moondancer whispered.

“Why not?” Twilight asked, still staring at the growing replacement to the Golden Oaks Library.

She caught a hint of movement beside her. Close movement. But why…?

Then… something very strange happened. Something… not entirely unexpected, while also being completely unexpected. An inevitability, really, at least if she was truthful with herself. She hadn’t been doing a very good job at that lately.

Maybe it was about time that changed.

Twilight’s hoof went up to the spot where Moondancer had just kissed her cheek. Then she turned to stare at the unicorn, who was blushing so bright Twilight was somewhat concerned she might catch fire. She was also staring at the Future Site of the Shining Oaks Library.

“I… just wanted you to know,” Moondancer whispered. “I mean… it’s… well, I’ve… I’ve thought about it since before you left for Ponyville and all this time over the last few years, it’s the one act of confidence I couldn’t do until now and just so you know, I’m not expecting any reciprocation or equal reply but now… I… just had to show you because I couldn’t live with myself if I didn’t tell you after you trusted me with all this and Celestia, now I’m rambling and you’ll—”

It was Twilight’s turn to press a hoof against Moondancer’s side, silencing her.

“I… figured it out a few months ago,” Twilight mumbled, unable to look at Moondancer’s face, though she wasn’t entirely sure why. “But it was the third reason I’ve been… a bit… erratic. I might be Princess of Friendship, but when it comes to stuff beyond that… I don’t exactly know what I’m doing. That’s one of the areas where I think books… aren’t going to help.” She snorted. “Friendship’s like that, too…”

She lowered her hoof and Moondancer laughed softly.

“I know, right? We have access to every subject of knowledge known to ponykind… and almost every trustworthy book on the subject recommends practical experience! You’d think something that happens every day around the world would be better researched!”

When they both laughed again, it was one of relieved tension, though from the sound of it, Moondancer’s relief was far greater than Twilight’s. They both knew there were plenty of books on subjects these days… and not a single one would ever be the same as experiencing it first-hoof.

“I understand if this isn’t the time or place…” Moondancer began, but Twilight cut her off in a very effective manner.

She wrapped her wing around the unicorn and pulled her close.

“Why don’t we just sit here for a little while?” Twilight asked. “If… if that’s okay?”

Moondancer nodded and shifted so she could press herself again Twilight. Twilight found herself rather surprised as to the softness of Moondancer’s fur. They’d hugged before. She knew empirically how soft Moondancer could be… but the sheer potential swirling around them seemed to distort the senses.

She found she rather liked the sensation.

So, Twilight decided to return the favor, and came in for a tiny kiss on the cheek to Moondancer.

Moondancer didn’t try to go for anything more. Nor did Twilight. Moondancer let out a tiny little sigh and Twilight gave her a tiny little smile. That was it. It seemed… so simple. Twilight had been a fool to miss it for so long. But between her ever-increasing responsibilities in Equestria and the management of the School of Friendship, she’d been forced to figure out what was really important beyond her duties to those around her.

Of course, her family and best friends were at the very top of that list.

Before this day, Twilight would have classified Moondancer as a close friend, one which she strongly suspected had harbored stronger feelings for her for a very long time. Only recently did she realize that she might actually reciprocate those feelings.

That seemed pretty important, too.

She might be giving up some times today, but she might just be getting something even better in return.

Only now did it seem like a fair trade.

Twilight snuggled Moondancer a little closer, and they sat and watched the former site of the Golden Oaks Library… and the future site of the Shining Oaks Library. And neither needed to say a single word.

Author's Note:

While The Librarian's Torch doesn't have a true theme per se, La Da Dee is probably the closest thing to it, so I'm totally okay with posting that as the "song" for the story.

Well, here it is at long last! My first story since June. Namely, my first story I've written, edited and published since getting through The Quiet War. It's been a long six months. I'm glad my first number back was something that goes for the hearts and the cutes (with neurotic Twilight as a bonus!),

I won't go on and on here, since I did write up a short retrospective/commentary on the story you're welcome to read right here! It comes complete with an entire DELETED CHAPTER!

However, I will say one thing. You were all so patient with me as I put my mind back together (even if that's an ongoing process). Thank you for sticking around for so long. While you may not think it's a big deal to you, it's a big deal to me. I actually passed 1,000 followers while I was in treatment. That's pretty amazing, especially considering I hadn't published anything in a while when that happened.

So, thank you for reading my stories. I hope you love them just as much as I do.

-Novel


If you come across any errors, please let me know by PM!

Comments ( 37 )

Possibly the best Twidancer story on this site. So adorable.

Fantastic work. An excellent look at neurotic bookhorses in love, with Sunbutt Jr. helping them work through these strange, poorly researched emotion things. Twilight giving up another library wonderfully adds to the pathos. This is one heck of a way to end a hiatus, Novel. Thank you for it.

Very sweet, Twilight getting help and support from her friends against her unhelpful instincts. And good to see that Sunset shows up for Twilight when she needs her.

The Pink Starship has been doubled! I can’t imagine the weddings but I bet they were glorious. And since I’m calling it Pink Starship and you can’t stop me, I can say I’m over the moon about it. Also that one of the weddings was likely betazoid style even if no one noticed. Rarity must have been miffed that dresses underwater are a challenge at best.

And now I’m just writing land and sea based wedding ceremonies and picturing seashell chic. It’s fun.

So glad you’re together again enough to write.

9439889
Everyone knows about the power of the secret Order of the Notaries Public. Cross them at your peril.

Seriously, it was a whole arc in Skin Horse and everything.

I'm in love

9439868
Okay, wow. That's freaking huge praise, especially since I've read a ton of them myself! Thank you so much!

9439915
Thanks FoME! I really wanted to take them beyond the veneer of social awkwardness. Twilight's awkwardness comes from a lot of sources, but it isn't the traditional type we see. I thought they deserved better. Both of them interested, curious... just not sure how to do it. So, they start with the most innocent of things.

Twilight's issues regarding giving up what she had to give up came from my own need to add further depth to the story. I learned her lesson the hard way. One of many lessons I learned. Stay tuned, you'll see a lot more of them. :twilightoops:

9440026

Very sweet, Twilight getting help and support from her friends against her unhelpful instincts. And good to see that Sunset shows up for Twilight when she needs her.

With a little backup from Starlight going HALP.

The Pink Starship has been doubled! I can’t imagine the weddings but I bet they were glorious. And since I’m calling it Pink Starship and you can’t stop me, I can say I’m over the moon about it.

I both love this and hate this. Love because ADORBS and hate because PUNS.

Also that one of the weddings was likely betazoid style even if no one noticed. Rarity must have been miffed that dresses underwater are a challenge at best.

Hehehehehe. I instantly understood THAT reference. And Rarity doing underwater designs? That's epic.

So glad you’re together again enough to write.

Thank you. Me too.

9440094
Friends who will go HALP for you are incredibly valuable.

Puns may be the lowest form of wit, but wit is the highest form of humor.

9440151
Which must mean it's the perfect number...

I sniffled more and more as this went on. While short it's beautiful and perfect. Thank you for creating this.

9440068
Well, it's not like you have a lot of competition in that department. Most are just shameless fluff, which is all well and good, but...

9440068
If you have any of those you recommend as especially good by the way...

9440117
HALPers are definitely a treasure you should keep close.

Puns may be the lowest form of wit, but wit is the highest form of humor.

...I can't parse the math for that. I'm a writer, for pete's sake!

9440325

I sniffled more and more as this went on. While short it's beautiful and perfect. Thank you for creating this.

And thank you for leaving a comment for it. These kinds of comments make my day so much brighter. Thank you!!! :heart:

9440393

Well, it's not like you have a lot of competition in that department. Most are just shameless fluff, which is all well and good, but...

There may be some of that, no argument here. But I've found some authors to be more than capable of creating something both heartwarming and fluffy at the same time. Fluff ain't bad. I wish I could do it better! It would be so fun to relax with that. But my brain and heart tend to make it a lot more complicated. They do exist, but you need to do some digging (yes, that's a challenge).

9440456
I've read little in the last half a year (compared to my normal reading load), but I do remember Bookish Delight being a freaking master of them!

9440521
I do like Bookish, I should find those. I mostly got into her Juniper/Wallflower shipping, which is just lovely.

D'aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Short. Sweet. Awkward. Amazing. Love it. =)

This is fantastic!

Amazing work ;3 this goes on my favorites for sure!

The tree sitting before them still seemed small even now. She’d been assured within a few months it would begin to soar skyward, the product of ancient magics of several races with an additional boon from both Princess Celestia and the Tree of Harmony itself. The earth around it was green with thick grass and the occasional flower.

We can rebuild it, we have the technology.

One of the best animations the fandom has produced.

This was lovely! I was easily immersed in the story and loved seeing our two favorite book horses get together!

9440992

Short. Sweet. Awkward. Amazing. Love it. =)

The awkward is my favorite part. :heart:

9441778, 9442145
Thank you both! I definitely loved working on this little warm up!

9442325

One of the best animations the fandom has produced.

I'd argue and say it's the best, hands down. But that's me! :heart:

9443674

This was lovely! I was easily immersed in the story and loved seeing our two favorite book horses get together!

Thank you! They are rather perfectly awkward together, aren't they?! :pinkiehappy:

Well that was a perfectly vile look at exploitation and manipulation.

I love this! Twilight and Moondancer are just so endearingly awkward. I had to feature it on episode 251 of my podcast, Pony 411.

Beautiful.

:pinkiesad2: MY FEELS HAVE NO RIGHT HURTING LIKE THIS!!
Thanks for the cry...
I didn't know I needed it.

My life has been a mess recently, and I needed something to break through the depression shell around my heart.

Thank you, I'm going to miss this fandom... But I'll never forget it.

9466895
Thank you so much! Awkward bookhorses are best bookhorses, as far as I'm concerned.

9477668

:pinkiesad2: MY FEELS HAVE NO RIGHT HURTING LIKE THIS!!

If the feels are feeling that much, I hesitate to recommend any of my other stories! I thought this was gentle, yet strong feels! I miscalculated!

Thanks for the cry...
I didn't know I needed it.
My life has been a mess recently, and I needed something to break through the depression shell around my heart.

I've been there. Plenty of times before. More than a few time recently. I hope it helped, truly.

Thank you, I'm going to miss this fandom... But I'll never forget it.

You are welcome, but you should know one very important thing. Just because the franchise changes after Season 9, doesn't mean the fandom is going anywhere. I'm definitely not.

...I've got too many stories left to tell. :raritywink:

9478537
Agreed, there are always stories to be told, and when I can get the energy and the willpower to work like i used to, I'm going to be publishing SO many stories.

9485966
That's my secret Cap. I'm always low on motivation and energy.

Reading this, it felt like it came from a personal place. And yes, you do seem to have a knack for writing neurotic Twilight. I do like the new Moondancer as well. As you've written yourself - she covered a lot of ground. Yet still remained herself.
It's touching. This story is touching. And it took me a while, feels like it at least, to start suspecting what it was all about.
'It was nice' doesn't exactly feel right. It was... hm. Beautiful.
Thank you.

Login or register to comment