• Published 1st Feb 2019
  • 4,512 Views, 989 Comments

The League of Sweetie Belles - GMBlackjack



A team of multiversal explorers comprised of alternate Sweetie Belles explore fanfic worlds and beyond!

  • ...
17
 989
 4,512

PreviousChapters Next
Task Force: Elements (Sunshine and Fire, Part 3)

“We are live once again with the Task Force: Elements,” Burgerbelle said into a microphone. “They have been introduced to the latest craze in modern entertainment—the Gameboy.” She shoved the microphone into Rainbow’s face. “Tell me, Loyalty, what are your initial thoughts on the handheld?”

Rainbow didn’t even look up from the device, pressing the buttons rapidly with the tips of her wings. “This is… maybe the best thing ever. I don’t know. I feel like I’m kicking flank but I’m not getting tired!”

“...Can I have it back yet?” Fluttershy asked. “I… I wanted to try to catch some more of those adorable pocket creatures…”

“Darling, I haven’t even tried it yet, and neither has Twilight!” Rarity pouted.

“I’m fine just watching,” Twilight said, scribbling notes in a small notepad. “This technology is fascinating…”

Applejack—the only pony not interested in the game in the slightest—just snorted. “Ah figured you’d be more interested in the ship.”

“I am! But, well, I feel like I can actually understand how this little thing works. We have computers back home, and I once had a professor who made one play tic-tac-toe, so I can visualize the basic theory behind this.”

Applejack smiled. “...Glad to see you’re enjoying yourself.”

“Yeah I-” Twilight realized what Applejack was pointing out. “I… I guess I am.”

Applejack put a hoof on her shoulder. “We always get back up, Twilight. You’re no different, from a different world or not.”

“Y-yeah…” She lowered her notes, glancing at Fluttershy for a moment. “Thanks for… you know. All of you. Being here. Trying.”

“Hmm?” Rainbow looked up from her game—and promptly got a game over. “...Meh.”

Twilight chuckled. “Sorry.”

“Hey, it’s just a game,” Rainbow said, handing it over to Rarity. “I think it goes without saying you’re better than a game. I mean, come on, you’re the reason all this is happening. The dragons, the griffons, the attack—all of it!”

“...Celestia came up with most of the plan,” Twilight admitted.

“But you’re the one who started gathering us,” Rarity pointed out. “As silly as it may have seemed at the time… it really does seem like that made all the difference. We would not have gotten this far had you not gathered us.”

Fluttershy nodded in agreement but said nothing.

“And now I’m here, and we’ve got a full set!” Burgerbelle cheered. “We can Rainbow Death Laser her!”

“...That’s not how the Elements work,” Twilight deadpanned.

“I know. But Rainbow Death Laser—it’s cool right?”

“I agree,” Rainbow said.

Applejack facehooved. “Riiiiight... I’ll just leave y’all to this, gonna go check on how the soldiers are shapin’ up.” She trotted to leave—but the person she wanted to see was already walking to her. “Ah, Captain, was just lookin’ for you.”

Suzie nodded. “The dragons are being problematic in the discipline department, but the griffons and ponies are already in line and special weapons division is progressing nicely. We have a lot of natural warriors too.” She glanced behind Applejack at the rest of the Elements playing with the game. “And I see you’re having success as well.”

“...Are you sure this’ll work?” Applejack asked. “We don’t exactly have time to become good friends or nothin’.”

“Almost always, the friendship only needs to be a spark to ignite the Elements,” Suzie explained. “You just have to like each other and care for each other. And I think you’ve done that well enough.”

“Ah was worried about Fluttershy there for a while… but she came back from the Griffon Kingdom different. Makes me wonder what exactly went down there…”

“You could always ask her.”

“Ah’ll wait until after the fate of the universe stops depending on our ability to be friends,” Applejack said with a smirk.

Suzie blinked. “Huh. That… seems wrong to me, but that’s definitely smart.”

“Thanks. So, how long unti-”

Luna and Seren teleported into the middle of everyone. “I’ve got her!” Seren announced, holding up a data pad. “Nira’s location! On the opposite side of the planet, but I have it! Swip’s transponder system wasn’t completely trashed!”

“What are we waiting for!?” Twilight shouted, standing bolt upright. “We need to get Celestia!”

“Yes, we are leaving now,” Luna said. “I will be going personally to deal with Luna. The rest of you Elements should come as well—including Burgerbelle. Seren, you are needed here.”

Seren jumped off Luna and began tracing a teleportation circle in the ground. “Bring Nira back, okay?”

“We will bring them both back. ...Are you sure you’re up to another mass teleport?”

“I am running low on energy, but I should be able to get you all there. With luck Nira can get you back.”

Applejack bit her lip. “Ah’m not sure how Ah feel about leavin’ right now. Especially if it’s not certain we’ll be back quickly…”

“I can watch the army for you—and even order the attack in your absence,” Suzie said. “We’re going to try, regardless of what happens. And… I do think all six of you need to go.”

“Seven!” Spike shouted.

“Eight?” Luna asked, pointing at herself.

Suzie groaned. “Yes, eight, right. Just go—sooner the better. The moment we have Celestia back everyone will rest a little easier.”

“And the moment I’ll get to give her a piece of my mind,” Applejack growled.

“Go get her,” Fluttershy cheered.

Twilight glanced at the two of them with uncertainty. “...Let’s not jump on her all at once. She may be weak and need rest.”

“Well, duh,” Rainbow said. “She’s asleep.”

“Done!” Seren announced, looking at the circle on the ground with pride. “One way trip to the other side of the planet! Hold on to your flanks!”

“I don’t have a flank,” Spike said.

“Then you’re doomed!” Seren giggled.

“...WHAT?!”

“Just go with it,” Burgerbelle suggested.

Seren lifted her scepter and smacked the ground with it. The eight people vanished in a flash of light.

Suzie took a breath. “Okay… here we go. Our primary goal is to keep the army from panicking now that Applejack and Luna aren't here.”

“Good luck!” Seren said with a childish wink.

“Somehow that doesn't give me confidence.”

“Gooooood luck!” Blink said, jumping out of nowhere. “C’mon, that was at least worth a response.”

No, it isn’t, Suzie decided, walking away.

“Wh- hey!”

~~~

Celia, Cinder, and Big Mac would need supplies for the road. Or, perhaps more accurately, Cinder and Big Mac needed supplies. As a Gem, Celia didn’t exactly need to eat unless she felt like doing it for the sake of pleasure.

They had to make Big Mac carry everything for the sake of the disguise. It wasn’t too hard on him given his immense strength, but he sure made it look like he was suffering as the lugged everything around.

And how were they paying for all this? Simple. Celia was teleporting bits out of ponies’ purses and into her own. Her horn, being fake, didn’t actually glow when she cast magic unless she put extra effort into making an aura. It was a way of gathering effectively unlimited funds for food, water, and the like.

It would not be long before they were ready to walk right out the city gates.

And during this time, Celia told her life story to Cinder. Big Mac was there, listening of course, but he wasn’t the intended audience.

“Gems are made, not born—of course you know this from the files you’ve read. Well, I was created before we knew of the multiverse. I was to be the first of a new line of Gems, ones designed with the intent of using our inner magic in more exceedingly varied ways. Instead of getting a few specific abilities, we were to have access to all of them should they be required in an unexpected situation. Naturally I was intended to be a high-society Gem, and I even had a few palaces erected in my name before I popped out of the earth. But, hours before I came out, there was a freak earthquake that cracked my Gem in two, each forming into separate entities.”

“Moganite and Goshenite.”

“Yes, precisely! We came out horribly imperfect. We couldn’t even take full humanoid forms, looking like little more than half-Gems. Our first memory was of being sentenced to death. Our second is of poofing all the Gems around us with our uncontrolled magical ability and running. We were on an organic planet at the time, one that hadn’t been fully converted to a colony yet, and so we hid in the forest. The animals were our friends. We… were not. We absolutely hated each other.”

“Wait, really?”

Celia nodded. “We were acquaintances and allies not by our own choice, but by necessity. No matter how much Goshenite blubbered and stumbled, no matter how much Moganite shouted and hurt, we knew we needed each other. Or they knew they needed each other. Pronouns are rather difficult when you are talking about yourself, but also not.”

“I can imagine.”

“We hid in that forest for years,” Celia said, looking wistfully into the sky. “Even though we barely tolerated each other, we formed a bond. It was a strong bond. Gems don’t have siblings, you know, but we soon came to think of each other as sisters. The arguments became less heated and more familiar. And then, one day, they found us.”

“And…?” Cinder was hanging on every word.

“We saw some of them fuse to take us down. So Moganite and Goshenite tried the same thing.” Celie chuckled. “And then I was born. Chalcedony. And by the Tower was that first day a doozy. I popped into existence barely knowing what I was, asked to fight for my life. So I did. I defeated them… and then… well, I discovered that when you put a highly emotional mindset and a brutal tactician together you become quite the skilled manipulator. I convinced them to give us a ship so they would never have to see us ever again. And the legend of Chalcedony was born.”

“Cool! ...Is there any particular reason you look like a pony, though?”

“Well, part of that is because I’m obviously the Gem Vein’s version of Rarity and Sweetie Belle. But the other part is, well, neither of us really knew how to form hands. So… four legs.” She touched her gemstone with a grin on her face. “And one perfect Gem.”

“And you’ve been like this ever since that day?”

“Oh goodness, no no no, we weren’t very stable early on. It took a few centuries for us to get to the point where we could stay like this forever. And, well, we—or they—are going to hate me for saying this, but neither of them is particularly good at living life separately. You met them, you see how they act.”

“It is kind of hard to believe they’re you.”

“Oh, but they are,” Celia said with a twinkle in her eyes. “By the time Merodi Universalis made contact, I was already a bit of an urban legend among the Gem Empire, a mysterious force that came and left, disappearing for decades only to resurface again… But the first chance I got I made sure I was deported to Merodi Universalis so I could live out in the open without any sort of fear of being shattered. I altered my form to closer match that of a pony and took the name Celia—after an organic construct, the cilia. After all, the animals were my friends once.”

Cinder beamed. “That’s a beautiful story, Celia.”

“Thank you!” Celia tousled Cinder’s mane. “I was kinda surprised you didn’t ask sooner.”

“I figured out you were a Gem pretty quickly. Decided it was probably not my place to ask about the giant crack in your gemstone.”

“Well, thank you for respecting my privacy, but it wasn’t required.” She purchased one last flask of water and threw it on Big Mac. “And with that, I think we’re done! To the gates!”

The shopkeeper she had bought the water from snorted. “Gates? Didn’t you hear? Nopony’s allowed out for now. The Queen issued a decree a few hours ago.”

“...Ah,” Celia said, drooping considerably. “In that case could you direct us to a hotel?”

The vendor shrugged, but pointed to a nearby building. Celia thanked him and walked that direction.

“Is it safe?” she whispered to Big Mac.

“As much as it can be,” he whispered back.

That was enough for Celia to decide—they would stay there. After a good…. ‘day’s’ sleep, they would either decide to wait for the decree to end or find another way out of the city.

“Hello, room for two,” Celia said, laying some bits on the counter. “Do you charge for earth ponies?”

“Just a single bit!” the pegasus at the counter announced.

“Good. I was afraid I’d need to walk elsewhere.”

~~~

The chosen Elements of Harmony, Luna, and Spike all appeared under the remnant of the moon.

Luna froze solid the moment she saw the glowing, yet dark, rock.

“Princess?” Twilight asked. “Is this…”

“The moon,” Luna breathed, touching it with her magic. It felt… weak. Dead. Barely a remnant of what it once was. There was no way she would be able to move it. She had, for a moment, hoped…

“Where are they?” Rainbow demanded. “C’mon, they were supposed to be right here!”

“In there,” Rarity said, pointing at the upside-down cathedral. “It’s the only structure here.”

“...You think ponies would have heard about this…” Applejack said, finding herself mesmerized by the paradoxical illumination of the lunar remnant.

“I doubt Queen Celestia wants anypony to know it exists,” Rarity observed.

“Then why not destroy it?”

“Trophy,” Fluttershy answered, bringing silence to the group. She flew up to the door and opened it, finding Burgerbelle already inside.

“That’s a lot of wasted time right there.” Burgerbelle held up a stopwatch that read 00:42:42. “But just the perfect amount.”

Rainbow chuckled.

“Not everything random is funny,” Rarity chided.

Rainbow shrugged and flew in after Burgerbelle. Luna came in behind them, levitating those who couldn’t fly behind her. They lit upon the vaulted, yet simple ceiling, and began to move forward.

“Our world had no structures on the moon…” Twilight said, looking around in fascination. “Nightmare Moon had no physical form when she was there.”

“My counterpart must have traveled here personally,” Luna observed. “Visiting the moon had been a dream of mine since I was little. I suppose after I abdicated the throne here I did exactly that.”

“How’s it feel now that you’re here?” Applejack asked.

Luna grimaced. “Wrong.”

They continued along. Most of the walls were like blank frames, as if there had once been plans to decorate them that had been abandoned shortly after construction. There were a few markings here and there, mostly representing Twilight’s cutie mark, but one in particular caught Twilight’s attention.

“The Elements of Harmony.” She pointed up, directing their gaze to a carving of a starburst surrounded by five smaller crystals. “Magic, Generosity, Laughter, Honesty, Loyalty, Kindness.” Her pupils dilated. “I think they’re here.”

“The Elements are here?” Rarity gasped. “Wh… Why would our Luna come for them? To face her sister?”

“Perhaps she can be our ally,” Applejack mused.

“She took my sister,” Luna spat. “There will be no alliance.”

“But she might be helpful.”

“Perhaps. I will at least give her a chance to explain herself, if she allows it.”

“How could she use them, though?” Twilight asked. “They need the spark of friendship to reignite…”

Burgerbelle nodded, putting a fake tiara of Magic on Twilight’s head. “That’s us!”

“Yes, I know. I’m trying to think…” She froze. “Could she be trying to use Celestia’s magic to force them back?”

“Oh my…” Rarity said, hoof to her mouth.

“We must be cautious…” Luna said. “All of you, lag behind me and stay out of sight. If you see an opportunity, take it. Applejack, I trust you to capitalize on this?”

Applejack looked unsure about taking orders for a moment, but after thinking it over she nodded. “Right.”

Burgerbelle saluted, tossing a banana peel over her back that tripped Spike. “Yes ma’am!”

“Ow…” Spike muttered, rubbing his butt.

Luna flew ahead, finding it easy to sense her counterpart’s magic now that they were so close. It took her all of a minute to alight in the entryway to the location of the Elements of Harmony.

She looked at her counterpart. Darker—almost without a hint of Luna’s own serene blue. Her wings reminded Luna of a raven’s, ensuring that Luna would refer to her as ‘Raven’ in her mind until another name produced itself. The alicorn had a soft white glow around her that didn’t belong to her—the sight of it and her sister’s unconscious form making Luna’s blood boil. However, Luna gave herself the time to calm her nerves.

‘Raven’ was sitting down, relaxed, using her magic in conjunction with Celestia’s essence to convert a fifth Element of Harmony into its crystalline form. Nira was sitting nearby, wrapped in several dozen magical chains and locks, a grumpy expression on her face.

Nira saw Luna first, eyes widening. She glanced at ‘Raven’, indicating Luna should take the shot.

Instead, Luna made her presence known. “Explain yourself.”

‘Raven’ looked up at Luna impassively. “I was wondering if you would try to take me by surprise. You have my respect for being willing to talk.”

“You are a very observant mare.”

“It is hard to ignore the magical signature of myself approaching me.”

“You still haven’t explained yourself.”

‘Raven’ nodded. “I left. The Daymare corrupted Celestia. I returned, purged her. She decided she liked being a tyrant. Tried again. The Elements recognized her before me. Sat in the sun for a thousand years.”

“She had the Nightmare removed… and decided she liked it?”

“I told her she was perfect. She believed it.”

Luna didn’t know how to respond to that.

“You think the same as I do. Or as I did,” ‘Raven’ observed. “You were lucky to have the Nightmare yourself. Neither of you will think yourselves perfect ever again.”

Luna decided she didn’t want to talk about that. “You stole my sister.”

“Yes. I did. I need her.”

“Why?”

“To get the Elements, duh,” Nira offered. “And with a Celestia and a Luna in her, she can challenge her sister. She doesn’t really have a plan after that. Just gonna let the world burn after.”

“I am fixing my mistake. Nothing more. Nothing less.”

“At the expense of another Celestia!” Luna shouted. “Using her essence like this… you could end her!”

“And what would you suggest I do differently?”

“Get this world’s bearers of Harmony! Give them the Elements! They will overrule Celestia’s control and defeat her!”

“...Do you know who they are?”

“We have four of six,” Luna reported. “My Twilight Sparkle is already attuned to Magic and the otherworlder Sweeties have provided us a replacement for the last.”

“Risky.”

“How so?”

“One-third of your ponies cheat. Celestia does not.”

“One half of you does as well.”

“I have wielded the Elements before.”

“Idiots,” Nira muttered. “There is no way either of you understand enough about how the Elements work to actually have this argument.”

“Enlighten us,” ‘Raven’ commanded.

Nira laughed. “Every set of Elements is different. If you know one, you don’t know the others. They consistently exist, but they don't consistently do the same things or behave the same way aside from ‘friendship!’. I’m just here to let you know this argument is pointless.”

“Then I go with the option that leaves my sister out of your dangerous hooves,” Luna declared.

“I will not change my plan without reason.” ‘Raven’ said, lifting up the Element of Magic. “Goodbye, Luna. I’m sorry.”

Luna had been expecting a burst of magical energy from the Element of Magic. She had not been expecting a psychic bombardment mixed with a sleep spell. She fell backward, dazed, but not asleep.

Then ‘Raven’ unleashed the power of the Element of Magic on her, singing her considerably and tossing her into the previous room. She was relentless, following this up with a beam of mixed sunlight and moonlight, confusing Luna’s natural magic defenses considerably.

Come on… she thought.

And her prayers were answered. Twilight teleported right in front of the Element of Magic and grabbed it. Instantly, it transformed itself into a tiara and landed on her head. She pushed against ‘Raven’ with her supercharged magic, knocking her over. “Come on everypony!”

“Not just ponies!” Burgerbelle said, picking up the Element of Laughter. It took the form of a Crusader Shield and latched itself around her waist like a belt buckle. Applejack, Fluttershy, and Rainbow ran in—their Elements affixing to their necks without hesitation. Already Luna could see the magic of friendship flowing between them.

“No!” ‘Raven’ shouted, rising to her full height. “Give them back!”

“You don’t deserve to wield them—you attempt to do so by force!” Twilight shouted, pushing back with her enhanced Magic. Already her eyes were glowing white. “The true bearers of the Elements of Harmony treat them as a gift!”

“Mine’s not working!” Rarity shouted, drawing all attention to her and the one Element that Luna had yet to reform. “I… I guess I’m not Generous enough?”

“Rarity, just believe in yourself!” Twilight called. “Believe in yourself and your friends!”

“We don’t have time for that! Luna!” Rarity picked up the rock that was half her size and threw it at the Princess. Luna was prepared to catch it and take the role of Generosity temporarily—but the rock froze in mid air. At first Luna thought ‘Raven’ had grabbed hold of it.

But then the stone Element cracked, revealing a beautiful purple crystal within that shot back to Rarity—accepting her willingness to throw the rock away as pure Generosity.

She laughed. “Aha… Well then…”

“NO!” ‘Raven’ shouted once more, this time surrounding herself in a shield of darkness and light. “You can’t do this! You-”

“Yes we can!” Applejack shouted. “You should let us!”

“You’ll fall right into her trap!”

“And what’s to say you wouldn’t!?”

‘Raven’ fired a blast of dark energy at them. It bounced right off the aura of harmony magic coursing between the Elements.

Twilight smiled sadly. “Go easy on her, girls, we don’t want to lock her in the sun again.”

“Right!” Everyone agreed.

“Rainbow Death Laser go!” Rainbow and Burgerbelle shouted, prompting groans from all the others.

A rainbow shot from the six of them nonetheless, hitting ‘Raven’ dead on. Instead of purging her of a Nightmare—for there was none—or sending her to the sun—which the bearers did not want—they tore her power away from her. Luna could feel the alicorn getting smaller as the energy was burned off…

She could also feel her sister’s energy dissipating. Not as much as ‘Raven’s’, but a significant amount. She tensed—that wasn’t a good sign.

When the rainbows cleared and the Element Bearers stopped glowing, there was a thin, lanky mare of darkness left, scarcely more than a teenager. She stared at all of them impassively, processing. Slowly, she sat down and hung her head.

She refused to speak.

“That was awesome!” Rainbow shouted, her hoof meeting Burgerbelle’s hand. “Twi wasn’t full of crap after all!”

“Yeah yeah…” Twilight said, walking over to the form of Celestia. She was alive and healthy as far as Twilight could tell, just asleep. “We’ve got you, Princess.”

“Rarity, you were great,” Applejack said, walking up to the unicorn.

“I… I, well, uh, certainly didn’t expect to be doing anything important today…” Rarity rubbed the back of her head.

“You’re just like the rest of us,” Fluttershy said.

“Accept your destiny whether you like it, believe it, or otherwise,” Rarity mused.

Luna walked down to ‘Raven’, looking her in the eyes. “...You will be protected.”

No response from the diminutive alicorn.

“I would like to get to know you. And I’m sure you feel the same way.”

Not so much as a nod of the heard.

Luna backed up with a sigh. She had so much she wanted to tell herself… wanted to ask… but clearly, it would have to wait.

“AHEM!” Nira shouted. “Are any of you going to remove these chains!? I can’t exactly get us back tied up like this!”

“Oh, right, sorry,” Twilight said, trotting over to her and using the Element of Magic to assist in the releasing of the chains. “There you go, should be good as new!”

“I was chafing something nightmarish,” Nira muttered. “Hold on, this’ll take a few minutes…”

~~~

Suzie had three categories in her mind on ‘soldier effectiveness’.

First were the griffons and most of her crew. They were disciplined, prepared, and able to fight at a moment’s notice. They were the best and she didn’t need to do much besides tell them where to stand and what to practice. It did not take her long to completely trust Sir Reynold to manage his griffons and even a few pegasi and smaller dragons.

Then there were the people who were trying but weren’t quite cut out for this. Most of the ponies were in that category—they had been fighting a war in the shadows for far, far too long and didn’t understand the tactics or logistics of open battle. She could put some of them on the smaller task forces designed to get the strongest mages of the Secret Police, but not all of them. She never said it aloud, but they were probably going to be cannon fodder.

And then there were the dragons…

“CADET!” Suzie shouted at the top of her lungs. “We are practicing aerial lunges! We are not sleeping.”

The dragon female yawned looking at her with disinterest. “I’m already the best at those. This is pointless.”

“Even if you were—which you AREN’T—you can demonstrate proper technique for the other dragons!”

“Nah.”

Suzie ground her teeth. She could go whine to the new Matriarch, but that would make her look weak. She would have to take care of this herself, somehow. Her. Demand enough respect from a dragon to get them to listen…

She took her weapon out of its holster and set it to PAIN. She walked right up to the lazy dragon’s snout and drove what was essentially a tazer into her, initiating the most shocking boop in the history of the universe.

The dragon recoiled from the pain with a panicked squeal, unceremoniously falling over onto her back.

“We’re practicing aerial lunges,” Suzie demanded.

“You are going to regret th- AUGH!” Suzie zapped the dragon in the knee, causing so much pain it locked up. The dragon recoiled and opened her mouth for a torrent of fire, but Suzie jumped over it and zapped the dragon in the back of the neck. The monstrous reptile writhed, gagging.

“What if I go for your wings next?” Suzie demanded. “Think you’ll be the best at aerial lunges then?!

The dragon pulled her wings to her side and growled.

“Get up there and start training or maybe I cut one off.”

“You’re too weak…”

“Did you forget that I command an entire army here? I could have the griffon contingent do it for me!”

The dragon let out a low gurgling noise. She spread her wings and took off. Suzie jumped off her neck and watched as she began swirling in the air with the others and landing sharply on the grounded targets.

“Good…” Suzie said. She ran over to a spot she knew a particular dragon was going to land. “Silverridge, I can trust you to keep them active for a bit?”

“A bit,” Silverridge nodded. “Though I would return quickly, lest the Matriarch need to intervene.”

Suzie nodded, running back into the mountain caverns. Most people would get exhausted from the run, but Suzie had been a soldier herself once, she knew how to keep herself in excellent shape. She arrived with little more than some slightly accelerated breathing.

They had been conducting meetings at a table set in front of the new Matriarch’s monstrous head since it was somewhat hard to get him anywhere else. She sat down across from Emerald. A moment later, Sir Reynold flew in and laid his claws on the table. “Captain. Matriarch. Miss Hope.”

“We’re really going to do this, aren’t we?” Emerald said with a shiver. “Going to attack Everfree City…”

“No matter what the result of this attack, it will be momentous,” Sir Reynold said. “Nothing has attacked Everfree City directly in centuries.”

“T h e_q u e e n_w i l l_d i e.”

Suzie nodded. “Likely. We’ve got princesses, Matriarchs, and a few desperate bombs. Something is going to take out the Queen. But as per Celestia’s original plan, we have to take care of the army and the Secret Police as well—not to mention getting to the Queen in the first place.”

“T h e_a r m y_i s_i n c o n s e q u e n t i a l_t o_d r a g o n s.”

“We can’t afford to discount them. Despite their low presence around Everfree City, they are still the most numerous of our opponents. Your dragons will focus almost entirely on them.” She would have loved it if she could ask the dragons to show at least a little restraint in their assault, but she wasn’t stupid. She knew they would be eating the enemy soldiers. “We want to have a stable world after we’re done, so refrain from taking civilian targets.”

“I_w i l l_t e l l_t h e m.”

“Yeah, and they won’t listen,” Emerald muttered.

“T h e y_w i l l_a n s w e r_t o_m e,_t h e n.”

“And then we have the Secret Police,” Suzie said, folding her hands together. “Daylight Sparkle, her unicorns, and their dragons. Unlike the army they have most of their forces in the city, but they aren’t as disciplined. Reynold, this is your division’s job. Aeromancers are being partnered with the best dragons to meet them head on. My combat-oriented Sweeties will join you. You will carry most of the advanced weapons.”

Sir Reynold nodded.

“What about the ponies?” Emerald asked.

“Most of your ponies aren’t suited for head-on attacks,” Suzie admitted. “I have to assign some to attack with the rest of the army, but I want to send as many as possible into the sewers to infiltrate the city from underneath. They will come from as many angles as we can manage—though this will require a few dragons clearing the way to sewer entrances. A mild complexity to the plan.”

Emerald shivered. “That sounds like it could go wrong so easily.”

“And yet, if it goes right, your ponies are in the safest situation possible,” Sir Reynold commented.

Suzie nodded. “When the Princesses return, they will be going through the sewers as well. We suspect the Palace has massive defensive enchantments on it that will make getting into it with a direct attack difficult, so that is where we’ll send them. I would send you as well,” she addressed the Matriarch, “but you are just too large.”

“U n d e r s t o o d.”

“How soon do we leave?” Emerald asked.

Suzie put her hands together. “We’ll talk to Luna and Celestia when they get back. But I’m expecting we take a period of rest and set out the moment everyone wakes up.”

“Agreed,” Sir Reynold said. “Before the day is out, the Tyrant will fall.”

“...It’s always day,” Emerald said.

“Precisely.”

Suzie smirked. “In that case, meeting adjourne-”

Nira’s teleport finished, depositing the Elements, two Lunas, Celestia, and Spike into the cave. Celestia was still unconscious, being doted over by Twilight. Nira saluted in Suzie’s direction. “Got ‘em.”

Curious, Suzie walked over to the diminutive other Luna. Noticing the crystals around the six, she put two and two together. “You got her with the Elements?”

Luna nodded. “We’ve taken to calling her ‘Raven.’ Or at least I have.”

Suzie examined ‘Raven’ and smiled. “Welcome to the rebellion.”

“She will kill you,” ‘Raven’ said. “All it takes is one Element.”

“We’ve got backup plans,” Suzie promised. “You never put all your eggs in one basket.”

‘Raven’ said nothing further.

Suzie turned to Luna. “Is she…?”

“A mare of few words? Yes. She is also essentially powerless at this point. You have nothing to worry about.” She glanced at Celestia. “...I do not dare wake her up. But we may need her soon.”

“Give her time,” Suzie encouraged. “We’re not going to leave without her.”

~~~

Celestia came to on a bed clearly conjured out of the aether just to support her. With a soft groan, she checked her limbs. Legs could move, though sluggishly, and her horn could spark, though it was easy for her to tell she was decidedly low on energy. Her mane likely didn’t have half the vibrancy it usually did.

She finally allowed herself to look at the ponies standing over her. Luna was closest, followed by Twilight, Applejack, and… a creature with two arms and two legs in a military uniform.

“Welcome back, sister,” Luna said with a warm smile.

“Oh thank the Stars…” Twilight said, letting out a breath she hadn’t realized she’d been holding.

Celestia smiled, pulling Twilight into a weak hug. “...Did you think I would be that easy to get rid of?”

Applejack raised an eyebrow. “You were bein’ an idiot.”

“I…”

“None o’ those excuses,” Applejack grunted. “She told you what you needed to do. You didn’t do it. The Trottingham cell was completely destroyed.”

Celestia visibly winced.

“And to add onto that, our Luna was more of a problem than a help. Captured you, drained your energy. You don’t look ready to fight.”

“She did lead us to the Elements though,” Twilight said, gesturing at her tiara.

“I am glad… Did you find Pinkie?”

“Not… exactly.”

“That’ll take some explaining,” the tall creature said.

“I am not going anywhere,” Celestia said with a sad smile.

The four of them explained what had happened while Celestia was out. Twilight spoke of her harrowing experience with the griffons, and how she’d had to use the sun in the most terrible of ways. Celestia was shocked Twilight had managed to do this on her own—but then she heard that Fluttershy had been instrumental in giving her the needed push. She offered what comfort she could, but Celestia knew Twilight would never be the same. It broke her heart to see her prized pupil like this.

Luna told of the mission to the dragons. Her team hadn’t needed to perform mass murder, but they did have to dethrone the Matriarch and instill a new one they were pretty sure was evil. They fully expected they’d have to deal with him after this was all over. Celestia wasn’t sure if they had made the right decision, but she didn’t vocalize her opinion. Besides, she was much more interested in learning about these Sweeties and their nation.

The creature’s name was Suzie, and she was a captain. When she told of her nation and what they did, Celestia felt a mixture of relief and concern. They had so much power they could turn this world to dust, only limited because something in Everfree City was keeping them sealed off. Celestia had a million questions to ask Suzie, but she saved them for later.

Applejack was the one to tell of their encounter with the other Luna—who they called ‘Raven’ for some reason. She had told them some details about the world’s past, about the abdication, and about Celestia overruling ‘Raven’s’ control of the Elements.

“...She wanted it…” Celestia said, haunted.

“There really isn’t a Nightmare in her?” Twilight asked.

Celestia had not wanted Twilight to know of this, but it was clearly too late. “It appears not. The Nightmare was in her… and it left. All because Raven wished to abdicate.”

“How is that possible?” Luna asked.

“...You have told me I seem perfect,” Celestia said, looking into the distance. “There was a time where I may have believed you. But the moment I banished you to the moon, I knew I was not, and never could be, perfect. There was simply no way a perfect being would let something like that tragedy happen. But if that had never happened…” She furrowed her brow. “...If you were not there to guide me, to remind me I wasn’t the only voice in Equestria…” She looked down at her hooves.

Applejack raised an eyebrow. “Think monarchy might be dangerous now?”

Celestia sighed. “Applejack, we’ve already had this conversation.”

“Yeah, and Ah’m sayin’ this puts things in a new light. Give anypony enough time and they could turn into a nut. Even you. She’s definitely you, don’t try to deny it.”

Celestia frowned. “And you think your idea of a democracy will work better? A world of ponies who have not known what it is like to make their own decisions?”

“Better than a Tyrant. Especially you.”

“Luna wi-”

“I do not want to rule, sister,” Luna said flatly.

Celestia stared at her in shock—but then her features softened. “...She did say you wouldn’t play your part…”

“This has nothing to do with the Oracle,” Luna said. “All prophecies are moot because of the Sweeties. I can remember, very clearly, the exact moment where I walked to your quarters intending to tell you I was abdicating. I can remember turning around because of self-doubt. Just as the Queen is you, Raven is me.”

“You…”

“I do not enjoy ruling, sister. It is very clear to me that it was necessary that I remain at your side to keep the world from falling into a desert, but I was not happy. Even upon my return, I have had my doubts.”

Celestia’s usually calm demeanor was gone, replaced with an expression of disbelief.

“I will stay by your side, sister, for we need each other to do right. But I will not rule here alone. It is not my desire.”

Celestia looked at the ground, racking her brain for what to do next. “I can’t do it…”

“You don’t have to,” Applejack said. “...Ah remember what you told me earlier. Ah’ll take control until we can figure out what to do.”

“And we can set up a transitory government,” Suzie offered. “We do it a lot. Give you a chance to count your resources and figure out what to do. We don’t care if it’s democracy or monarchy or something else, so long as you can stabilize.”

“What is Merodi Universalis?” Celestia asked, curious.

“Twelve-way divided Oligarchy,” Suzie explained. “Twelve Divisions, each one with an Overhead of relatively equal power. We have no single leader and the Divisions regularly rotate their Overheads on their own, but we’re not a democracy either. The only votes are on matters of public opinion and in member universes that are democratic themselves.”

“How do you get anything done? It seems that would result in an endless deadlock between twelve separate entities vying for power.”

Suzie shrugged. “It helps that most of them are friends with each other. And, in general, the Divisions have distinct responsibilities and no authority to exercise outside those areas. I am a bit of an odd case—working for Expeditions through an Oversight organization with authority from the Military. But that means I have three separate bosses who each evaluate me on different criteria.”

“I worry that it is too complex and will implode in on itself, given time.”

“We… are only a few decades old according to the standard calendar,” Suzie admitted.

“Then it is stable enough to serve as a transitory government,” Celestia concluded. “Can I take your word that you do not intend to stay here?”

“We will only stay if the people here want to be included in Merodi Universalis.”

Celestia frowned. “Who, after being saved by you, would say no to that?”

“You’d be surprised, Princess.”

Celestia nodded slowly. “This debate is not over, but it is enough of a plan to serve us for now.” She rose out of bed, standing up. “We need to go to Everfree City.”

“You need rest!” Twilight chided.

“I need to face myself,” Celestia said.

“Sister…” Luna began.

“She’s right,” Suzie said. “It wouldn’t be right if she wasn’t there. You have a full set of Elements and yourself, Luna, you don’t need her at full power. But you do need her there.”

“That doesn’t make any sense!”

“No. But it’s right,” Suzie asserted.

Luna furrowed her brow. “...Very well. But we are not leaving right away, the army needs rest, and while they are resting you will be as well, sister.”

Celestia nodded. “There is one thing I need to do first.” She turned to Applejack—and bowed. The action made Twilight gasp.

“I have been a fool and a hypocrite,” Celestia said, voice level. “I let my emotions cloud my judgment in the one moment they should not have, and it resulted in the deaths of many. I failed to heed the words of the Oracle and I failed you.”

“...’bout time,” Applejack said. “Ah’ve been waitin’ for you to get off that arrogant perch of yours. Word of advice, Princess, makin’ yourself look perfect doesn’t win any friends.”

“Being a leader does not always mean being a friend,” Celestia said, raising her head. “Though, here, in this world… perhaps I should have been trying to be a friend rather than a leader.” She pointed at Applejack. “After all, they already have one.”

“This doesn’t fix what you did.”

“I know.”

“But we’re still gonna take that Queen out.”

Twilight growled. “You bet we are…”

Celestia looked to her student with concern. That attitude would be helpful in the coming battle, but it wasn’t good for Twilight.

She decided not to say anything. As much as it pained her, the fate of this world was more important than the emotional wellbeing of a unicorn. Even if that unicorn was Twilight Sparkle.

~~~

Cinder and Celia woke up the next ‘morning’, even though the day was just as bright as always. They had told Big Mac to stay in the room—they’d find a way to bring some breakfast up to him later. The unicorn and the Gem descended the stairs to the bar and received their complimentary breakfast. Besides the innkeeper, there was only one other pony down here—one of the guests, a white unicorn with a soft pink mane.

“G’morning!” she said with a bright smile on her face.

“Morning!” Cinder waved, matching the stranger’s smile.

“What brings you two here?”

“Unexpected delays,” Celia answered, munching on a piece of toast, careful to keep a magic aura around her fake horn. “I had just wrapped up a business venture when this annoying decree came down. I fully understand it’s necessary, but it is quite inconvenient. I guess the ponies of Manehattan will just have to wait.”

“Oh, wow, that is inconvenient,” the mare admitted. “I’m here for an extended stay—seeing family—so it’s not so bad for me. Name’s Twinkle, by the way.”

“Chalcedony,” Celia said extending a hoof to Twinkle and shaking. “This little bundle of joy is my daughter, Cinder.”

“Oh? That name sounds like it comes with a beautiful talent.”

Cinder nodded. “It’s not my special talent, but I am good with fire magic.”

“It sounds like you have two talents then. Tell me, what is the first? I cannot for the life of me parse what that shield means.”

“I call it a Crusader Shield,” Cinder said. “Me and my friends called ourselves the Cutie Mark Crusaders, and we eventually discovered we had the talent to help other ponies find their special talents!”

“A talent of destiny? That is truly amazing. And what of yours, Celia?”

Celia had to glance at her flank to remind herself what fake cutie mark she had put on it this time. “Cutting gemstones. A difficult task at times, especially when they’re saturated with magic, but worthwhile nonetheless. A dreadfully expensive hobby too, but when you’re as active as I am, you find ways.”

“Glad to hear it!” Twinkle said with a smile. “I’m lucky enough to have the mark of the sun itself. I revel in Queen Celestia’s day, a smile on my face at all times—just like her!”

“That’s… nice,” Cinder said.

Celia continued smiling. How did I not notice that before? “You’re quite lucky.”

“Oh yes, matching marks are rare enough as it is, and I get the Queen’s? It’s just amazing!”

“Yes, it is,” Celia said, carefully tapping Cinder with her tail. “I’m surprised you don’t have a small crowd of ponies ogling over you.”

“Sometimes I do, but it’s not like there’s anypony here.”

Cinder coughed. “Um, excuse me, I need to use the filly’s room. Be right back.” She hopped up and made her way to the stairs.

Twinkle looked at Cinder with a knowing smile on her face. “Aww, I wanted to get to know you a little better.”

“I’ll be right back!” Cinder lied.

Twinkle seemed to accept this, turning back to Celia. “Anyway, know what I heard? I have some friends in the guard, and he said they’re about to apprehend the ponies that’re keeping anypony from leaving. Isn’t that great news?”

Cinder froze halfway up the stairs.

“That is excellent news!” Celia said, her smile just as serene as always. “Tell me, when will this take place?”

“Oh, about now,” Twinkle said, her smile remaining just as level as Celia’s.

“Cinder, dear, don’t you have a bathroom to get to?”

“I think she’s itching to leave the City. Aren’t you?”

“Certainly. In fact, I think I need to use the restroom as well. It was nice meeting you Twinkle.”

“Likewise, Celia. Shame it has to end this way.” Twinkle’s lips twitched ever so slightly.

“CINDER, RUN!” Celia shouted, dissipating her false horn and summoning the razor top.

Cinder didn’t have to be told twice. She bolted up the stairs, going for one of the windows—but Twinkle teleported her back to the bar. Celia was already held in a brilliant golden glow, unable to move. She was desperately trying to activate her own magic, but nothing but sparks came from her gemstone.

“That was fun,” Twinkle said with a chuckle. “If I didn’t know exactly who you were already, you probably could have talked me down! I’m impressed, really I am!”

“W-who are you?” Celia grunted.

Cinder answered for her. “Celestia…”

“Sharp kid,” Queen Celestia said, allowing her disguise to dissipate. The form of an average unicorn was quickly replaced with that of a tall, regal figure of such pure white she looked as though she were carved from marble. Every leg was thin compared to Celestia’s body, yet far thicker than Cinder’s own limbs. An aura of heat radiated from her, produced by her very soul rather than the soft, swirling flames that were her mane and tail. Her face was a thing of hideous beauty—perfectly proportioned to the extent that it looked fake.

And her eyes…

They were empty, like Blink’s, though not because she was dead. But because they produced so much light that pupils and irises were pointless.

The barkeep was bowing, shivering, and offering incoherent prayers. Celia was staring at the Queen defiantly. Cinder was shivering, looking for a way out.

“We should have lunch,” the Queen said with a voice far too amiable for the mouth it was coming from. “It’s been so long since I’ve had guests over at the palace. Come.” She sneered. “Wouldn’t want to be late, would we?”

PreviousChapters Next