• Published 25th Dec 2011
  • 10,590 Views, 425 Comments

Stuck In The Middle With You - Vargras



Luna opens a summer camp, but the campers who sign up certainly aren't who she expects.

  • ...
15
 425
 10,590

Day 3 - Doodles and Drawings

Lunch had been finished, and with their bellies full, the seven campers were ready for more - assuming, of course, that Luna herself was even ready. She had stated herself that if they ever needed her for whatever reason, to simply go to her room, and with Twilight Sparkle leading the group, they decided to do just that. As they neared the young Princess' room, however, it became quite clear that Luna was still rather... busy. Even with the door shut, whatever was going on inside Luna's room was very loud. There was yelling, clattering, and all manner of other noises, and it was enough to make several of them nervous.

Twilight frowned and backed away from the door upon hearing the voice of her mentor. "Uh... guys? I think Luna might be having a bit of an argument with her sister..."

"Argument nothin', that's a full-fledged fight." Applejack had already backed away from the door as well, and Pip placed his hooves over his ears as he sat perched upon her back. Rainbow Dash seemed to have no such worries, however.

"C'mon, guys! How often do you get to see the royal sisters actually fight? I wonder what they're even saying..." The cyan pegasus flew up to the door and placed an ear against it - she would quickly regret doing so.

"OH, YOU'VE DONE IT NOW, 'TIA."

There was a thunderous roar as Luna unleashed the Royal Canterlot Voice, ripping the door off its hinges and sending Rainbow Dash sailing through the air. Those who had been wise enough to stay back were still knocked off their hooves, some of them shocked that the Princess of the Night was somehow capable of being even louder than she was during her visit to Ponyville. Fluttershy ran off to help Rainbow Dash back up, and as the others slowly regained their footing, they could scarcely believe what was even happening inside the room.

Even Pinkie Pie seemed dumbfounded, the pink earth pony raising an eyebrow and staring in disbelief. "Are they...?"

Both Celestia and Luna were currently locked in a food fight that none of them had considered possible of royalty, and the scale of it left Pinkie Pie feeling a bit green with envy. The younger sister was currently holding a plate in front of herself, using it as a shield as she fired off a salvo of vegetables at Celestia. The elder sister had several kitchen utensils under her control, batting away every piece of food that was sent her way before returning a volley of her own. It may as well have been a stalemate, as neither sibling seemed to really do much of anything to the other.

Rarity seemed absolutely flabbergasted that royalty, actual royalty, would be involved in a food fight. Applejack simply stared on, completely unsure as to what she should think. Pinkie Pie and Pip had actually taken sides, each of them rooting for one of the Princesses and waving flags bearing the respective colors of their Princess of choice - where they had actually managed to find such a thing in such a short time frame was a mystery. Even as Fluttershy returned with Rainbow Dash, neither of them could find the words to express how they felt about seeing such a sight.

"I... think we get the rest of the day off. Let's uh... let's go, before we get caught in the crossfire." Twilight and the others made a hasty retreat, though it took a while longer for Pinkie Pie and Pip to notice that they had left, leaving the two sisters to continue their struggle over... whatever it was food fights were started over.

And thus, day two came to an end, because of a single pea.

-----

"I apologize for ending yesterday so abruptly, but there were some uh... 'issues' that had to be taken care of. Now then, for today, we'll be shifting towards something more artistic - drawing!"

Luna clapped her hooves together, positively giddy about what she had in store. As much as she liked reading, the arts were where her true passions lay, and she was eager to share that with the others. The young Princess had already moved everything into the spare barracks that the campers were using, and the desks and supplies had been neatly arranged into a small circle - the seven campers all sat on stools, though Pip's stool was a bit taller than the others to compensate for his height, or lack thereof.

There already seemed to be some slight issues, however. Rarity was staring at one of the pencils and she appeared somewhat... lost. Twilight had a hoof in the air, waving it frantically. "Um... Luna? Every time I try to pick up the pencil, my magic sorta... fizzles out. Did you put up a magic-nullifying field or something?"

"I did, actually. Using magic when drawing or painting is bad form - makes your work seem cold and impersonal. That's not a problem, is it?" Luna glanced over at the lavender mare, an eyebrow raised, and Twilight Sparkle quickly shook her head.

"Well, no! It's just, uh... Rarity isn't exactly comfortable with having her magic cut off like this." She raised a fair point - while Twilight had received years of magical training in Canterlot, and thus had experience with things such as magic-nullifying fields, Rarity hadn't. The white mare had never encountered such a thing, and to have her magic forcibly cut off from her in such a manner was somewhat disorienting.

It didn't take long for Luna to figure out what was amiss, and she quickly did away with the barrier. "Fine, I'll toss out the field. Just no using magic."

Rarity had already snapped back to reality and looked over at the Princess. "So, wait. How do you expect us to draw anything, then?"

"Like the earth ponies and pegasi, of course." Luna giggled and grinned, picking up one of the pencils in her mouth. "With your mouth."

"You're kidding. You don't really expect us to..." The Princess of the Night shot the white unicorn a glare, and Rarity quickly picked up the pencil in her mouth, with Twilight following suit shortly afterwards. Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, Applejack, and Pip all sat patiently with the pencils in their mouths already, though it seemed like Rainbow Dash was struggling to figure out how to even hold it properly. She eventually picked it up by the very tip, holding the pencil in her mouth and sitting upright on her stool.

Luna slowly shook her head and continued the lesson. "Now that we've gotten that out of the way, drawing itself is fairly simple. First and foremost is to know your subject material. It doesn't have to be anything extremely eye-catching, but you should know it and be confident about it before you begin to draw it. After you have your subject, well... you simply draw. Just do what feels natural. You'll figure out what you're doing... eventually, anyways."

As soon as she had finished, some of the campers had already begun to draw. Pinkie Pie and Pip were both scribbling and drawing furiously, and Applejack joined them not long afterwards. Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy took a while longer, but they too began to draw, simply leaving Twilight Sparkle and Rarity as the only ones who had yet to start.

The young Princess paid no mind to them - they would find subject material soon enough - and began to draw as well. In her opinion, her subject choice was a little vain, but she hadn't done a proper self-portrait since she had started her hobby. Given that she had been drawing for the past two years or so, it didn't take that long before an image of herself began to spring up on paper. Luna had to take extra care with the shading, making sure she didn't draw herself as being too dark or too light - such were the pains of having such a dark coat. The neck and head had been easy enough, and she had gotten most of the other details down, but the eyes were always the hardest part for her. Eyes were the windows into the soul, as the saying went, and it took a practiced touch to make them convincing. Anything less would shatter the illusion. Content with her work thus far, she sat the pencil down and began to roam the room, casually inspecting what the other ponies had been drawing.

Her first stop had been at Pip's spot. Even with the heightened stool, he was still a bit too short to comfortably reach the paper that lay upon the desk, and the young colt had been leaning on the table as he doodled. His choice of subject matter was hardly surprising, but it warmed Luna's heart nonetheless. On the paper were two stick ponies, with 'Me' written above one and 'Luna' written above the other. Even with the Princess right behind him, he seemed completely oblivious that she was even there, and so Pip continued to work on his drawing. Perhaps it was for the best.

She soon moved on to the next desk, Pinkie Pie's. Though she hadn't shown it at first, the pink earth pony had considerable skill with a pencil - perhaps it was her background as a baker that had made her so dextrous with holding things in her mouth. It was a rather curious drawing, and Luna had to tilt her head several times just to make sense of it. "You drew... yourself, drawing yourself, drawing yourself... and so on?"

"Yep!" Pinkie turned towards the Princess and grinned. "Do ya like it?"

"Definitely an interesting concept, Pinkie Pie. Let me see what it looks like when you're finished."

Pinkie Pie threw Luna a mocking salute and quickly returned to her work. "Okie dokie lokie!"

Luna proceeded to the next desk and looked over Applejack's shoulder as she worked. Not surprisingly, the orange mare had decided to do a family portrait of sorts. She had drawn her grandmother, her brother, and her younger sister, though her parents remained suspiciously absent - it was probably in the earth pony's best interests if the Princess simply didn't ask. Though Applejack didn't seem to be nearly as adept at drawing as Pinkie Pie had been, it was clear that she was still trying, and Luna cared more about effort than execution at this point.

The Princess moved on to the next camper, quietly standing behind Fluttershy and observing the pegasus' work. She was quite aware that Luna was standing behind her, and she had initially turned her head slightly as if she wanted to speak, but Fluttershy had returned to her drawing just as quickly. In the middle of the paper was a single animal, a white rabbit, and the yellow pegasus had apparently gone to painstaking lengths to keep the image as clean as possible - the eraser Luna had provided had already been worn down severely. "Is that your favorite animal, Fluttershy?"

Fluttershy set down the pencil and slowly turned around on the stool to face the Princess. "Oh, no... that's Angel Bunny. He lives with me."

"Does he now?" Luna laughed softly and grinned, leaning over a bit to take a closer look at the drawing. "What's he like?"

"Well, um... Angel's pretty nice, but sometimes he gets really grumpy. That's usually fixed after he has a carrot, though." Fluttershy smiled and turned around once more, picking up the pencil and returning to her drawing. The Princess of the Night smiled and slowly shook her head as she walked towards the adjacent desk, which belonged to Rainbow Dash.

"Okay Rainbow Dash, let's see what you've... um... done?" Luna certainly hadn't been expecting what the cyan pegasus had drawn. Based upon the previous day, Rainbow Dash had seemed a tad... full of herself, and the young Princess had been predicting an overly exaggerated self-portrait or a picture of the Wonderbolts. Instead, she had drawn a landscape - it resembled Cloudsdale somewhat, based upon what Luna had been told about the place. If Rainbow Dash had been trying to communicate a grandiose sense of scale with her drawing, she had apparently succeeded. Cloudsdale itself seemed rather large and extravagant on the paper. "I'll be honest, I was... not expecting this out of you. At all."

"So ith that bah?" The cyan pegasus spat out the pencil and looked at her drawing before glancing back at Luna. "I mean, I doodled an awful lot when I was little, but it was usually... um, cooler?"

"Rainbow..." Luna leaned over towards Rainbow Dash and dropped her voice to a whisper. "No point in lying to me. You're drawing this because you like this sort of thing, don't you?"

Rainbow Dash sighed and slowly nodded, leaning over towards the alicorn to whisper back. "Just... don't let the others know I like this sort of thing. I've got a reputation to keep and all."

Luna stifled a giggle and quickly stood back up, making a quick zipping motion across her mouth. The cyan pegasus smiled in return and resumed her drawing, and the Princess proceeded onwards towards the last pair of desks. The only two left were Twilight Sparkle and Rarity, and considering how much time they had been given, surely they had to have had something down - except they didn't.

There was a small mountain of crumpled up paper beside Twilight's desk, and the paper that currently sat upon her desk was completely blank. The pencil had apparently been broken multiple times, mended by magic each time it had been snapped, and the eraser had ceased to exist entirely. Luna stepped up behind Twilight and glanced around the unicorn's workspace, an eyebrow raised. "Um... Twilight? Your paper is uh... blank."

"I know, I know... but nothing I draw seems right! It's all... off, it's wrong, it's just bad. Spells, I can do. Drawing? That's like trying to get a unicorn to fly. It just doesn't happen." Twilight let out a groan of annoyance and flopped over onto the desk.

Luna continued to watch the spectacle, mildly amused, and coughed softly. "...there's a spell for flying, though."

"You know what I meant."

The Princess of the Night sighed and picked up the lavender mare with her magic, levitating her over until she was eye-to-eye with the alicorn. "Twilight, I know how much of a perfectionist you can be. Celestia has mentioned it a few times over the years, and as much as that may be a strength for you in regards to your spellcasting, it's a weakness when it comes to creativity. Perfectionism is all well and good, but when you first start, you're going to be... well, terrible. Even I was bad when I first started, and I only got to where I did now because I practiced. Now go doodle for a bit."

Twilight glanced back up at Luna as she was gently placed back upon her stool. "...can I doodle whatever I want?"

"That's the entire point of doodling." She grinned and winked, and Twilight nodded and soon returned to try once more. The only pony left now was Rarity. As she neared the white mare's desk, she knew full-well what was likely on the paper, and she was hardly surprised when she saw that she had been right. The unicorn, like with most everything else she did, had sketched out a dress, and she smiled widely as she presented her work.

"Well? What do you think, Luna? Gorgeous, isn't it?"

Luna, however, had something very different in mind. Twilight Sparkle had told the young Princess a great deal about her friends, and as a result, Luna knew that Rarity designed everything she ever made. Considering how many orders the unicorn had likely done thus far, that meant a lot of sketches as well. With a faint smile upon her face, the Princess leaned towards the drawing, looking down at Rarity out of the corner of her eye. "I'm curious. Draw something that isn't related to fashion."

"I... suppose I could." Rarity pulled out another sheet of paper and picked up the pencil, quickly drawing once more. Before long, she had yet another drawing, and Luna had to suppress a laugh as she took a look at it.

"You drew another dress, Rarity."

"Okay, just... hold on a moment." Another sheet of paper, another drawing, another dress. She repeated the cycle once more, becoming increasingly more agitated as she drew yet another dress, followed by a hat, and subsequently followed by a coat.

Grinning, the Princess of the Night leaned over once more and tried to ease up a bit on her. "Um... draw a line?"

"A line? That seems a bit insulting, but I guess it'll have to do." Rarity pulled out another sheet of paper and quickly drew up a line, holding it up in front of the Princess with her magic. "There, you see? A line."

"Rarity, um..." Luna was openly giggling at this point, unable to keep it quiet any longer. "You... kinda drew a needle."

Rarity seemed absolutely flabbergasted that she could do such a thing, and when she took a look at her own drawing, she could scarcely believe it. What she thought had been a simple line had indeed been a very rough-looking needle. "I... but... how did..."

"Muscle memory, my friend. Muscle memory."

And so, like the second day, the activities for the third day ended with a single object - not a pea, but rather...

A needle.