• Published 3rd Feb 2019
  • 693 Views, 37 Comments

Rails Of Wonder - Sanguine Blade



Sodor isn't the only magical railway...

  • ...
0
 37
 693

Chapter 6: The Narrow Gauge Engines

It was a bright day at Ponyville sheds when Laurie was asked to meet Spike. She arrived at the office and took a seat.

"Hello Spike, what did you call me here for?" Laurie asked.

"You've been doing good work for a while, so I want you to see a partner of our region." Spike said.

"What do you mean?" Laurie asked.

"You see, Not far from here is a private narrow gauge line. They provide crops, lumber and even some important quarries are connected to it. I want you to work your magic their and help their controller Ms. Cherilee." Spike said.

"What about my job here?" She asked.

"Don't worry you still have it. You'll just be transferred temporarily and, Fluttershy will be leaving for overhauls tomorrow so this will keep you busy until we decide where to put you next." Spike replied.

"Okay I'll do my best." Laurie said.

"That's the spirit. Now you'll get there with the help of our connecting engine that You haven't met yet. Follow me." Spike said. Laurie followed him and the two walked towards a small station on the opposite side of Ponyville. The station was a single platform with one set of tracks. This was strange, and Laurie was about to speak up when an unfamiliar whistle ran out. This engine was large for narrow gauge with black and white striped livery. What made the locomotive stranger was the two blocky looking protrusions in the front and back of the boiler.

"Good morning Zecora." Spike said. The engine looked over and smiled.

"Ah Spike, dear friend of mine. Tell me what brings you down to this bit of line?" Zecora rhymed.

"Well Zecora, this is Laurie and she is to be helping out Ms. Cheerilee." he replied.

"This news is great. Laurie you best hop on, we mustn't be late." Zecora said. Laurie boarded the train and Spiked waved goodbye as the train left his sight. The trip was short and Laurie got off the train to see a mare with rose hair and cherise fur with smiling flowers as her mark.

"Oh hello you must be Lauren." Cheerilee said holding out a hoof. Laurie lowered herself and shook the hoof.

"Please call me Laurie. You must be Cheerlilee?" Laurie asked.

"Yes I am. Welcome to the Ponyville Narrow Railway. I'm here to show you to the fleet." Cheerilee replied. Laurie gestured her to go on. "Well you've already met Zecora. She is our biggest and wisest engine we've got. Her design is from Zebrica." Cheerlilee said. Laurie and her walked a short ways to a small roundhouse. Inside was one engine. She was orange with purple lining. She was small with 4 wheels and looked tall and thin. Her nameplate read Scootaloo.

"Hi miss cheerlilee who is the new person.?" Scootaloo asked.

"This is Laurie. I had you held back so you can work with her today." Cheerilee responded. "Many of our engines are like Scootaloo here. Most are tank locomotives and so when the big work is needed we have a few tender locos." She continued. Laurie knew many narrow gauge lines were too short to need big tender engines and Zecora was truly for the heaviest of trains along the narrow,winding lines of this place. " We are planning extensions as far as the lands near ponhenge so we have room for the fleet to run." She finished.

"How many engines are here?" Laurie asked.

"Well there is sixteen, but it is because we believe in hauling light loads in quick time rather than large trains at once. We have Zecora running lumber trains. Scootaloo and three more run the tourist trains along the river towns. There are the two private engines that run for rich locals, some very small lightweight engines that help run the Everfree lumber company. The list goes on. Most of these engines were made and then tossed out due to a large fall in narrow gauge during nationalization. They'll be going and our fleet shall shrink down to maybe seven at most." Cheerilee said.

"Oh. How do you run them all at the same time?" Laurie asked.

"No. We have a small museum where many are on display with prices of purchase. We rotate them so none feel left out." Was the reply from Scootaloo. After more questions, Laurie hopped in Scootaloo's cab and they set off. The line was longer than what was expected, but still too small for a fleet of sixteen. The duo hauled slate from one of the quarries to where Zecora waited at where they had started.

"So do you know Rainbow Dash?" Scootaloo asked.

"Yes I do" Laurie replied. She saw the little engine smile.

"She can be seen from time to time from the mountain. I whistle to her and she whistles back. I just wish I could be with her more often." The engine said.

"Well if you work hard you might get to see her." Laurie said patting the engine on the cab side. This made the little engine smile and so the continued. As they stopped for coal and water, two engines passed pulling a train. The first was yellow with red highlights, the other white with a pinkish trim.

"Hi Sweetie Belle, Applebloom I thought you stayed on the apple farm?" Sootaloo said.

"I was called out to help Sweetie Belle and my work was done at the farm so I volunteered." The yellow tank engine replied.

"Who is she?" the white engine asked. Her voice sounded like a pubescent child going through voice cracks.

"I'm Laurie. I'm here to help for a little while." Laurie said.

"Hello." the two said together. After a long day the four were back at the sheds. They heard the sound of engines working elsewhere and the engines fell happily asleep to the sounds of the night as Laurie left for the worker's hut.

Author's Note:

At first I thought if Zecora should be mainline, but then her wisdom and experience reminded me of Duke so I changed it. Plus her constant work with the foals of Ponyville helped the decision.

Also I counted the children that were in the school and others and yes there were about sixteen counting Zecora.